MagPul Vs Tapco - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Magpul MOE Handguard & MVG Grip Package Deal - $29.03 shipped after coupon "magpul" apps47inc For Sale 0 03-10-2015 01:52 AM
Tapco SKS vs. VZ.58 DontKnowWhatI'mDoing Firearms General Discussion 40 02-22-2015 05:12 AM
I will never buy TAPCO again!!! sabotage39k Rifle Forum 19 10-26-2013 10:16 AM
Magpul Gen 2 MBUS Rear Flip Sight, Black - $39.99 shipped, Magpul AFG2TM - $28 FS apps47inc For Sale 0 04-28-2013 04:53 PM
SKS: To Tapco, or not to Tapco? YoungPrepper77 Rifle Forum 20 04-15-2013 12:02 PM
Sks tapco 20 hoplite59 Military Weapons Forum 49 10-18-2012 10:27 AM
10/22 Tapco or M&P 15-22 tplochar Rifle Forum 7 03-01-2012 06:58 AM
Tapco SKS stock gbm75 Military Weapons Forum 1 10-31-2011 05:33 PM
tapco mag for ar? whiskyrebellion Military Weapons Forum 5 03-19-2011 12:23 AM
Tapco sks Pfc_Willson Rifle Forum 12 01-15-2009 09:06 AM

Old 08-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Fugitive Recovery Agent

Thanked 1,010 Times in 302 Posts
Default MagPul Vs Tapco

Advertise Here

So I got another AR the other day. It is a Sig Sauer M400 Enhanced version. not because it has a 16 inch chrome lined barrel and breach. Not because its in 5.56 Nato. Not because it has am A2 sight and M4 stock...

Its enhanced because it has MapPul furniture and mags.

I do not see the big deal with MagPul. I do not feel this AR is any lighter then my Olympic Arms or Bush Master.

I don't feel these mags are any better then Tappco ones, however; they are twice the price.

Tappco 30 rd 8.99 Magpul 19.00 be smart and by 2 Tappco's.

Is this Sig AR awesome ? yes it is. Is MagPul the holy last word on mags and AR furniture ? No... Its nice but seems to be over the top in hype IMHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ar1.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	67030   Click image for larger version

Name:	ar2.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	67031   Click image for larger version

Name:	ar3.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	67032  
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Hunter

My experience with Tapco is from the AK world and only found the FCG to be good quality,all the other stuff was cheap range stuff,so yeah for the range is fine..for me my rifle is a tool,If I have to use my tool the parts I need to trust.I just dont get that feeling with Tapco plastic.But you do and thats what important.so you buy Tapco and I will buy what I think is best and hope we are both right.
Edit:You might not always get what you pay for but you always pay for what you get.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:27 PM

Nice rifle. IMO, there is no comparison. Magpul is that good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt ATX For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Target Shooter

Drop one of your Tapco mags on the ground and you will see why its half the price of the Magpul.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to evilblackgunsrfun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,273 Times in 5,561 Posts

As survivalists, and firearms users we need decent, good information.

Magpul is good stuff. Servicemen in the hot spots became enraged when the military wanted to stop the use of Magpul and require them to go with the aluminum magazines and elite units are using Magpul.

Funny...don't hear much about some specialty unit rushing out and buying a lot of Tapco magazines for their M4's...

But we do have a Fugitive Recovery Agent who says Magpul bad...Tapco good.

So I got another AR the other day. It is a Sig Sauer M400 Enhanced version. not because it has a 16 inch chrome lined barrel and breach. Not because its in 5.56 Nato. Not because it has am A2 sight and M4 stock...

Its enhanced because it has MapPul furniture and mags.

I do not see the big deal with MagPul. I do not feel this AR is any lighter then my Olympic Arms or Bush Master.

You own an Olympic Arms...therefore, you've voided any comments you make regarding firearms. I live a short distance from Olympic Arms. If I'd any problems, I'd be able to take it back for repairs. I've known about them for decades. I've owned one Olympic Arms back in the 90's for about a minute. That wasn't my proudest moment.

You use 'lighter' as the sole qualifier for quality?

I don't feel these mags are any better then Tappco ones, however; they are twice the price.

Tapco! Not Tappco!

Tappco 30 rd 8.99 Magpul 19.00 be smart and by 2 Tappco's.

I've picked up Tapco at $6.99 and Magpul at $10.99...recently. You need to be smart and stop shopping wherever you shop.

Is this Sig AR awesome ? yes it is. Is MagPul the holy last word on mags and AR furniture ? No... Its nice but seems to be over the top in hype IMHO

Through your admitted Olympic Arms ownership, consider lighter as a sole qualifier for quality and exposed the prices you're paying, so, I'm sorry, but your honest opinion is misleading and bad info.

Magpul is some decent stuff. Tapco is OK.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Parapup

agree with all the above. Tapco is largely crap except for their ak fcg
The Following User Says Thank You to djthemac For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Veritas Aequitas

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,025 Posts

I have Tapco GEN 2 mags for my Mini. They feed and function fine, but it took Tapco TWO YEARS to right the wrong they introduced with those crap GEN 1 mags. Total junk...cracks, weak springs, failure to feeds. I consider Tapco mags sufficient for range days and that's about it. Thankfully they offer a lifetime guarantee because they know they are selling you a crappy product.

I have Pmags for my ARs and they are fantastic. There is no comparison to the Tapco mags. I like the dust covers that allow for long term ammo storage and the windows were a great idea. I keep Pmags in my home defense guns because I trust my life with them. Magpul introduces innovations, quality, and function that Tapco can only hope to copy some day.

If you think any plastic mag is as good as the next you haven't done your research (or shot very much).
The Following User Says Thank You to Skyjump136 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Hired Gun

I think the genius of Magpul is in their marketing and Glock-like fan loyalty. But they also produce a very good product that has been field tested and soldier approved. And that says a lot to me. My agency tested several mags and the only two that were approved were the Magpul PMags and the Lancer Warfighter. We ended up going with Magpul and have never regretted it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sentry18 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2012, 10:42 PM

I don't know where you are paying $19 for Pmags. I just ordered a batch in FDE from CTD for $11 a piece. They are the non-windowed ones, but Tapco doesn't make a windowed one so it is comparable.
The Following User Says Thank You to arclight610 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Sua Sponte

Thanked 1,953 Times in 603 Posts

Tapco vs magpul? Throw one of those tapco mags under you tire and drive over it several times...see how it holds up. Now do the same thing with the PMag... you will be able to pick it up, slap it in your AR, and start shooting.

Thats the difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiskeySix5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2012, 12:16 AM

Tapco is complete ****. I carried multiple items from Magpul in combat in two theaters, I love them. To even have the two mentioned in the same breath makes me stabby...

Last edited by MikeK; 08-13-2012 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: Do not evade the language filter
The Following User Says Thank You to lrsd.ranger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2012, 01:25 AM
skogbeskytter

Thanked 1,043 Times in 478 Posts

Only thing Magpul makes that is subpar is the plastic sights.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post
Only thing Magpul makes that is subpar is the plastic sights.
I just read a drop test of various AR-15 BUIS sights a couple of days ago. All of them failed except for the Magpul ones. I wish I could remember where I saw the article.

Edit to Add: Found it. Actually, both the troy and MBUS survived. However, the MBUS had the least POI shift.

http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/ba...drop-test.html
The Following User Says Thank You to arclight610 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2012, 01:34 AM

Being deployed twice to Afghanistan in the last few years, I speak from experience on the Pmags. They are "the ****" when it comes to M4 mags. I have approximately (at last count) 17 Pmags in my inventory. The other 20ish mags that I have are the aluminum with the brown/tan follower mag from Brownells (military issue). I do not have any issues with feeding rounds into my M4 or misfeeds. The Brownells mags are good to go too. The current issue of mags has taken care of a lot of the misfeeds that I experienced with the aluminum mags with the light green followers. Would I trust my life on the pmags? I do it everyday. Still breathing so far.

I have never used Tapco mags in my M4. Therefore I can not speak about them. But, in the same note, I see a lot of "shooters" or diplomatic personnel protection people using Aks in this theatre of operations. Most of them use the 20 round Tapco AK 47 Magazine in their AKs. They tend to do a lot of driving. I have spoken to several of them about this. THey say they have not had any problems with this magazine. Also, a lot of them have the Tapco furniture on their AKs. They have no qualms about using Tapco magazines (20 rounders) or furniture on their weapons. Crap, most of these Aks look like their 70 years old, lol. But they still work excellent.

Bryan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wassomeoneelse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2012, 05:48 AM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 7,368 Times in 2,820 Posts

I am a big fan of the Magpul P-Mag. They haven't disappointed me yet. I have used the Tapco mags, but my use is pretty limited. Right before I retired from the military we had a unit give us 100 Tapco mags for training use on the range. The unit had ordered the magazines with unit funds and found out they were not authorized by the AF for use overseas. So, we got them. All of them functioned, but several were VERY snug in the magazine well, and the size/shape of the mag caused them to fit too tight in our mag pouches. In fact, we had several folks that had mag pouches tight enough that the Tapco was very difficult to get in and out of the pouch. Just something to keep in mind. YMMV...

On a related note: I just ordered 5 Tangodown ARC magazines from Botach. With the 10% discount special they were running on mags, they worked out to less than $10 per mag. I've heard good things about them in the past, but I'm curious if anyone has used them here? I figured for less than $10 per mag, they were worth taking a chance on... :thumb
Old 08-13-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySix5 View Post
Tapco vs magpul? Throw one of those tapco mags under you tire and drive over it several times...see how it holds up. Now do the same thing with the PMag... you will be able to pick it up, slap it in your AR, and start shooting.

Thats the difference.
I tried this once because I saw the advertisement that said this would happen. It is 100% true. After I did this with some friends, we all went out and bought 10 each. I've carried Pmag's on 2 deployments now and I've never had a double feed and I've never heard of anyone having one either.

I have never used Tapco but I can testify to the quality of Magpul.