Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hiking, Camping and Wilderness Survival Items shawn Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 727 11-18-2019 09:04 AM
Guidelines for the Wilderness survival, hiking and camping section kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 125 07-20-2018 06:52 AM
The Wilderness Survival/Camping/Hiking Gear-Swap Thread! twyggy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 131 01-19-2014 12:25 AM
Wilderness Survival/Hiking/Camping Rules Reminder Potantsuem Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 12-27-2012 02:35 PM
Camping and wilderness survival by Paul Tawrell QuasarZ Books, Movies & Stories 1 09-22-2011 09:26 PM
Hiking, Camping and Wilderness Winter Survival Items ?? ehg3322 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 12 08-12-2011 01:25 PM
Wilderness Camping 4evercoltsfan Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 1 09-08-2010 08:20 PM

Old 09-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Old and Senile

Thanked 1,800 Times in 666 Posts
Default Wilderness Survival Vs. Going Camping

Advertise Here

There is a big difference between wilderness survival and going camping. The gear you chose to go camping with may be wholly inadequate for wilderness survival. In wilderness survival your life will depend on your gear, you don't get a "time out" to go get better or more suitable gear. My criteria for survival gear is is it light weight, is it extremely well constructed, is it time tested. This is no place to cheap out, your life depends on your equipment.

Once you have your equipment, have you tried it out in a real life simulation of wilderness survival? Go out in a wilderness area for 4 to 6 days with 2 to 3 days worth of food. No hiking on established trails, bush whack your own trail to your destination using a topo map and compass. This should be a fair test of your equipment. When you get home, evaluate every piece of equipment to see if it was up to the task. You may also decide that wilderness survival is not for you.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plantguy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Your move Sparky...

Thanked 14,837 Times in 4,955 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Bushwhacking a trail is simply retarded. Who are you Jeff from Survivor or something?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cool Hand For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Old and Senile

Thanked 1,800 Times in 666 Posts

How do you plan on getting around in the wilderness where there are no trails?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Maximus

Thanked 15,416 Times in 6,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantguy View Post
There is a big difference between wilderness survival and going camping. The gear you chose to go camping with may be wholly inadequate for wilderness survival. In wilderness survival your life will depend on your gear, you don't get a "time out" to go get better or more suitable gear.
Depends on what kind of "camping" you are doing. I have been on many many backpacking/camping trips where my life was dependent on gear and skills.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2010, 10:37 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,285 Times in 3,149 Posts

i could argue that when simply camping you can and will be much harder on your gear, as you are in no real danger.

in a survival situation, you would be careful not to destroy gear that can make the difference between dying or living.

thats why "battoning" wood is a stupid fantasy, sure do it in your back yard as a torture test for a knife. but if your in the woods and it life or death and you think you need to split logs instead of burning medium sized sticks, you deserve whats commin to ya.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Earthwalker.

Thanked 10,786 Times in 4,501 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie View Post
i could argue that when simply camping you can and will be much harder on your gear, as you are in no real danger.

in a survival situation, you would be careful not to destroy gear that can make the difference between dying or living.

thats why "battoning" wood is a stupid fantasy, sure do it in your back yard as a torture test for a knife. but if your in the woods and it life or death and you think you need to split logs instead of burning medium sized sticks, you deserve whats commin to ya.
depends what knife your using.

If your using a Leuku knife then this knife is made for heavy duty chopping and battoning,My leuku was made in the 1950s and has had a few owners and all used the knife for its original purpose and it is still going strong.

A leuku is a knife that has been tried and tested over hundreds of years in the harshest conditions by people that relied on an all round user.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:47 AM

"Wilderness Survival" means all bets are off, do whatever it takes to see home again. F*** nature. Get out alive.
Camping means leave no trace, have a good time away from your home for a little while. Preserve the wilderness for future generations to get lost in.

Every other difference stems from that. If your camping gear includes tools that you intend on intentionally screwing up nature with, you're not camping right.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to butterknife For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 01:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand View Post
Bushwhacking a trail is simply retarded. Who are you Jeff from Survivor or something?
Way to much energy to spend on a unknow area.. I would recomend you go try it frist find the area and go ok were is the water food ect..

I spent 6 weeks in the bush by my self with only 1 lighter a small pocket knife (swiss army) my fishing pole and gear.. I could walk out at any time and I was only 9 at the time.. I did just fine by my self the whole time i would go back so people would see Im ok every now and agian but it was more fun then anything else I made stone tools everything..
Old 09-11-2010, 01:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,480 Times in 1,077 Posts

I think camping is a necessary step/learning skill on your way to Bug Out survival needs, Just like living without power is the best way to learn Bug In needs.

Need to learn how to cook, before you know what you need to cook with.
Learning the hard way works best for lot's of people, ect.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Veritas Aequitas

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,025 Posts

Plantguy, do you even know what wilderness survival is? Its when your plane goes down, you get lost, your boat capsizes, you're caught in a forest fire, a blizzard hits, etc. Basically, things don't go to plan, your gear is gone, and all you have to rely on is your knowledge to get HOME.

What's the point of comparing camping gear to survival gear? You'd be happy to have ANY gear when trying to survive. I think you are comparing camping to...primitive camping? I don't know, but if the goal is truly "survival" then I'm going to be gutting a dear with a sharp rock and sleeping in the carcass...not worrying about the type of knife and sleeping bag I have with me.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:11 AM

Default Ok

Right. I agree you should test your survival gear but bushwacking your own trail is just plain stupid. What do you need to do that for? Wouldn't it be exactly the same as hiking an established trail with your gear. If your main goal is to test your machete then I guess go for it but it's going to **** me off when I come across your destruction. Also what the hell are you using a compass for. If you want to really test your survival skills leave that thing at home and use the Sun, Moon or stars. Like Skyjump said, when you are survivng you will not have your gear. So go parachute out of a plane into the bush and use a stick to bushwack a trail out, with no gear. Just don't forget your iPhone.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodrunner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Survival Actual

Thanked 11,885 Times in 2,990 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

chances are, when you get stuck in a survival event you wont have any gear with you at all. Go learn some skills. Gear is just a luxury..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dougzilla For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 01:36 PM

Every outing is a hike or a camping trip. A survival situation is something totally unexpected. If you are prepaired and have gear, great ! As you should be. If Not then you make do with what you have and the Knowledge and skills you've aquired to get yourself out of the situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Two Rivers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Custom User Title

Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand View Post
Quote:
How do you plan on getting around in the wilderness where there are no trails?
Uuum....i think this is really going to depend on what your woods look like.....how thick they are and things like that. Some forests are wide and open, can walk right through, some forests have really thick places, but i dont see the need to wack an actual trail unless you have a permanent cabin or dwelling nearby or unless you live in a jungle.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Custom User Title

Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougzilla View Post
chances are, when you get stuck in a survival event you wont have any gear with you at all. Go learn some skills. Gear is just a luxury..
Danm right!
Or at least learn to get by with limited gear at first. If you can get by with a knife, ferro rod, and a metal water bottle, you are doing good. After that, take it to the next step and learn to make blades from flint flakes, learn the bowdrill, learn natural cordage, learn to hot rock boil your water. Helps out a lot, and that kind of primitive stuff is fun to learn
The Following User Says Thank You to justin_baker For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Hello

I've gone camping with my BOB and have done three-five day mock bug outs. The only difference I see is if you're camping at a camp site you may as well take a large tent, air mattress and a few cases of beer.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:27 PM
hunter-gatherer

I must say, i'm not really sure i understand the distinction between 'camping' and 'surviving' in the woods. Presumably i still want to survive when i'm camping.

I think you're trying to make a distinction between 'emergency' and 'non emergency' situations. I'll tell you straight up - as a rule blasting off into the unknown by hacking a trail is the LAST thing you want to do as a rule in an emergency - it's all a calorie game and you're talking about a very high calorie activity. If you're smart, you'll generally stay put and wait for rescue.

Consider this: 2 years ago a group of hunters were hunting in the lakes district up in my part of the world. They set up a hunting camp and went looking for moose. Were they camping? Yes, most would say so. Suddenly, there was about a 5 ft snowfall - very rare for that time of year. Nobody expected it. It took almost a week to get in and get them out.

Were they now in a wilderness survival situation? I'd have to say so. It just became an 'emergency'.

So..... what would be different about how they were USING their gear? Probably nothing at all. What WOULD be different is that they would now likely have less gear and supplies as time went on. They'd run lower on food, they'd have less gas for powered items, they'd have less fuel for lanterns, etc.

They would have to use their heads and their skills to make sure they stayed safe longer.

Or - consider the hypothetical 'boat wreck' or airplane accident. Mostly - the difference would be in minimal gear, rather than the quality of gear.

Therefore - i'd propose that there is NOT a difference in gear between a 'survival' vs camping situation, but rather there IS a difference in the SKILLS necessary to be successful.

Skills are much much more important. Camping you can bring all kinds of things that eliminate the need for skills. You don't need to know how to make a fire with wet wood if you can just flick a switch on your colman stove. But - in a survival situation it's not that you'd need a better stove, it's that you won't HAVE a stove so you better know how to start a fire.

A man with high skill strength and limited or even no gear can still survive in an emergency. A lack of skills can kill you if it forces you to rely on gear you may not have.

The only difference between 'camping' and 'survival in an emergency' would be the quality of your skills, not the quality of your gear.

But that's just my two cents.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Foxer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Survival Actual

Thanked 11,885 Times in 2,990 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

"Survival isn't fun. If you're having fun, you're camping" - Myke Hawk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dougzilla For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,647 Times in 2,189 Posts

Quote:
You may also decide that wilderness survival is not for you.
That's why I use a 22ft RV. I've slept on the ground before.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bltjr1951 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxer View Post
I must say, i'm not really sure i understand the distinction between 'camping' and 'surviving' in the woods. Presumably i still want to survive when i'm camping.

I think you're trying to make a distinction between 'emergency' and 'non emergency' situations. I'll tell you straight up - as a rule blasting off into the unknown by hacking a trail is the LAST thing you want to do as a rule in an emergency - it's all a calorie game and you're talking about a very high calorie activity. If you're smart, you'll generally stay put and wait for rescue.

Consider this: 2 years ago a group of hunters were hunting in the lakes district up in my part of the world. They set up a hunting camp and went looking for moose. Were they camping? Yes, most would say so. Suddenly, there was about a 5 ft snowfall - very rare for that time of year. Nobody expected it. It took almost a week to get in and get them out.

Were they now in a wilderness survival situation? I'd have to say so. It just became an 'emergency'.

So..... what would be different about how they were USING their gear? Probably nothing at all. What WOULD be different is that they would now likely have less gear and supplies as time went on. They'd run lower on food, they'd have less gas for powered items, they'd have less fuel for lanterns, etc.

They would have to use their heads and their skills to make sure they stayed safe longer.

Or - consider the hypothetical 'boat wreck' or airplane accident. Mostly - the difference would be in minimal gear, rather than the quality of gear.

Therefore - i'd propose that there is NOT a difference in gear between a 'survival' vs camping situation, but rather there IS a difference in the SKILLS necessary to be successful.

Skills are much much more important. Camping you can bring all kinds of things that eliminate the need for skills. You don't need to know how to make a fire with wet wood if you can just flick a switch on your colman stove. But - in a survival situation it's not that you'd need a better stove, it's that you won't HAVE a stove so you better know how to start a fire.

A man with high skill strength and limited or even no gear can still survive in an emergency. A lack of skills can kill you if it forces you to rely on gear you may not have.

The only difference between 'camping' and 'survival in an emergency' would be the quality of your skills, not the quality of your gear.

But that's just my two cents.
well said!!!!!!!! even when i camp i practice my skills.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tnfatboy For This Useful Post: