Do Red Meat and Saturated Fats REALLY Cause Heart Disease? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 12-07-2019, 05:51 AM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
Dead doctors don't lie is a great book. A Friend gave me a copy a long time. It was a life changing read.
It was an enjoyable read. I can remember in the 90s seeing quotes from it in the magazines. It was only till last month that I found the quotes came from this book that I happened onto.

I have to admit, there is a part of the book that I disagree with. I don't know the truth, but have read a few times now that the type of minerals the author recommends are not beneficial. Instead another type of minerals are what one wants to consume. Anyway, as always there is lots of debate in the health world and knowing what is right from wrong isn't easy.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2019, 07:51 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,470 Times in 2,348 Posts

To the anti-carb idiots, you are wrong, and ignorant
The longest lived healthiest populations eat mostly carbs, and mostly starchy carbs at that
High carb, very low fat, very little to no meat, and less protein is the best diet for health and longevity

"On average, they are made up of 21 percent protein, 77 percent complex carbohydrates (the kind that deliver a slow and steady energy rather than the spike you get from refined carbohydrates like white flour), and only a few percent fat. They are also an excellent source of fiber."
Blue Zones › recipes › food-guideli...
Food Guidelines - Blue Zones
Old 12-07-2019, 07:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 61,771 Times in 19,904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
The longest lived healthiest populations eat mostly carbs, and mostly starchy carbs at that
High carb, very low fat, very little to no meat, and less protein is the best diet for health and longevity

"On average, they are made up of 21 percent protein, 77 percent complex carbohydrates (the kind that deliver a slow and steady energy rather than the spike you get from refined carbohydrates like white flour), and only a few percent fat. They are also an excellent source of fiber."
Blue Zones recipes food-guideli...
Which ones?

The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 08:07 AM
VIP Member

The ones who say a high carb diet is unhealthy, when the exact opposite is true
Old 12-07-2019, 09:12 AM
The river flows

Thanked 1,050 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
The longest lived, healthiest populations in the world, without exception, eat high carb diets.
That is a fact beyond dispute
Spain is #5 in life expectancy. They have bread or a pastry at breakfast, bread with aperitivo, bread with lunch, bread at dinner time... sometimes bread is replaced with pasta or rice, LOL

But Spanish food also includes chick peas, beans, lentils, seafood, olive oil (and pork lard!)... and a climate that allows you to go for a walk at some time during the day 100% of the year...

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to blackriver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 09:50 AM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 13,170 Times in 5,757 Posts

Our diet consists of all foods consumed in a responsible manner.
Volume wise it is heavier in vegetables and carbs than meat. For example, we eat beef two or three times per month. Chicken about twice that.
None of our meat or eggs are store bought though, as I have neighbors whom I buy from fresh.
Much of the veggies we grow here.
Without going into detail, these are my supplements;

low dose aspirin
E vitamin
fish oil
multivitamin
probiotics
green tea
The Following User Says Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 10:28 AM
CabinBuilder/Author

Thanked 4,028 Times in 966 Posts

There's probably more to the equation and argument, like one's positive outlook on life vs being a negative person, and foods being better in the 1800's and early 1900's, as opposed to today's GMO and hormones and pesticides in the them and the dirt but back to the original argument, here's some small sample evidence:

I had 2 cousins, one lived to be 93, who had 3 gardens and ate from them. His Daddy lived to be 104. The woman that married my great uncle lived to be 111. All three of these people grew and lived on small farms, ate from their gardens and all three ate full fat milk fresh from cows, ate steak and beef from them, ate fresh eggs and chickens, ate organs from these animals, liver, heart and brains, so plenty of red meat. The soil in their small farms was next to the Cumberland River and the topsoil was 10 feet or more. I suspect all 3 had positive outlooks, clean living, good senses of humor. None drank alcohol. So their diet was full of good quality veggies and fresh, hormone free, grass fed red meats and dairy and poultry. I'd guess their macros were

20% protein
45% fat
35% quality carbs
The Following User Says Thank You to albertjohnson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 12:42 PM
Biologist

Thanked 1,254 Times in 624 Posts

In short, yes, a diet that is heavily fueled by Red Meat and Saturated Fats is unhealthy. However, at the end of the day your body needs saturated fats to help form the cytoplasmic membrane (your cell's skin) and red meat is a good source of iron. Everything in moderation, with the exception of obvious things like smoking. Overall, if you want to live a long life, eat lots of vegetables, fruits and lean meats, cut back on processed food, get exercise, lower your stress and be sure to get annual checkups from your doctor to catch anything early.
The Following User Says Thank You to sluggyslugworth For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 12:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,967 Times in 3,753 Posts

I ignore ALL those things and eat whatever I want within reason. I eat a lot of different things. So far I am still alive, despite eating red meat, sugar, drinking alcohol, candy, pop tarts, eggs, and whatever. ( I do eat a lot of fruit and veggies)
I think it is more important that you are not overweight, get physical exercise of some kind, get out in the fresh air, sleep well and are not stressed out. I know my physical well being is affected by all those things, but not so much about what I eat. I do notice I don't feel good as I am getting older eating a lot of gluten. Too much pizza or bread upsets my system.

One things to note here, my goal is not to live as long as possible but to die before I get something horrible like Parkinsons or Alzheimer and become a vegetable that is a burden to people and myself
Heart attack seems to be not a bad way to go
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 01:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,339 Times in 9,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
I ignore ALL those things and eat whatever I want within reason. I eat a lot of different things. So far I am still alive, despite eating red meat, sugar, drinking alcohol, candy, pop tarts, eggs, and whatever. ( I do eat a lot of fruit and veggies)
I think it is more important that you are not overweight, get physical exercise of some kind, get out in the fresh air, sleep well and are not stressed out. I know my physical well being is affected by all those things, but not so much about what I eat. I do notice I don't feel good as I am getting older eating a lot of gluten. Too much pizza or bread upsets my system.

One things to note here, my goal is not to live as long as possible but to die before I get something horrible like Parkinsons or Alzheimer and become a vegetable that is a burden to people and myself
I totally agree! I would rather enjoy life and die early than live having to worry about what I eat.

That said, I don't eat much processed food or sugar. In fact, I would rather eat a small portion of really good tasting food than a large portion of mediocre "healthy" food.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:43 PM
Survivor

Quote:
The ones who say a high carb diet is unhealthy, when the exact opposite is true
Not what I meant.

Please list these "healthiest populations"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 10:38 PM
VIP Member

Buettner identified five regions as "Blue Zones" (a term he trademarked): Okinawa (Japan); Sardinia (Italy); Nicoya (Costa Rica); Icaria (Greece); and among the Seventh-day Adventists in Loma Linda, California.
Wikipedia › wiki › Blue_Zone
Blue Zone - Wikipedia

He did an article for National Geographic and has made a fortune off of it. He did not invent the term, but expropriated it.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:23 PM
2nd Amendment zealot

Thanked 1,320 Times in 440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry View Post
It was an enjoyable read. I can remember in the 90s seeing quotes from it in the magazines. It was only till last month that I found the quotes came from this book that I happened onto.

I have to admit, there is a part of the book that I disagree with. I don't know the truth, but have read a few times now that the type of minerals the author recommends are not beneficial. Instead another type of minerals are what one wants to consume. Anyway, as always there is lots of debate in the health world and knowing what is right from wrong isn't easy.
That's why it's called practicing medicine.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigSlick For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 06:27 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,544 Times in 567 Posts

No!

And here is the explanation why..

https://youtu.be/CG33qi8Zebs
The Following User Says Thank You to Elvin Moseid For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 10:32 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 4,948 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:

Blue Zones recipes food-guideli...
No need to call names. Show facts to back it up. If not move on...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 09:53 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,640 Times in 994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post

After many years of paying attention to the experts, I follow the same protocol, all things in moderation.

I have yet to find a food that I don't like, so I have become more so aware of the consequences of what I eat, and adjust accordingly.

Too much red meat clogs my gut up first, not my arteries, but I never say no to someone grilling me a big fat juicy hamburger. Sometimes when the interval is too long between burgers, I grill one for myself.

Too much grain does the same thing, with the addition of weight gain, so I pretty much avoid it, except when mom invites me over for spaghetti dinner.

I love sugar. I have the teeth to prove it.

Most importantly, I have learned at my age, I don't need as much fuel as I once did. I eat one to two meals a day, and fast regularly. It seems to me that the fasting for the last few years now, I have more energy and a clearer mind.

More energy and a clear mind results in much more bodily activity, a necessity to overall good health.

I certainly don't want to live forever, and I see everyone striving for that, with this diet and that diet, but they never win. Do not recessitate is my motto.

I am here to enjoy all this chocolate.

Last edited by ebjr1967; 12-09-2019 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: ..
Old 12-09-2019, 11:45 AM

Red meat is not a problem. Despite popular opinion, the US isn't the world's largest consumer of red meat. Argentina consumes the most red meat per capita in the world and they don't have the health problems we do here.

Our problem is there's god-awful amounts of sugar in everything and too many people are sedentary.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tiny SWO For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 12:39 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,544 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny SWO View Post
Red meat is not a problem. Despite popular opinion, the US isn't the world's largest consumer of red meat. Argentina consumes the most red meat per capita in the world and they don't have the health problems we do here.

Our problem is there's god-awful amounts of sugar in everything and too many people are sedentary.
Exactly! People confuse politics and economics with health concerns. Got any health issues? Stop eating plants and sugars!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elvin Moseid For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 01:32 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Buettner identified five regions as "Blue Zones" (a term he trademarked): Okinawa (Japan); Sardinia (Italy); Nicoya (Costa Rica); Icaria (Greece); and among the Seventh-day Adventists in Loma Linda, California.
Wikipedia wiki Blue_Zone
Blue Zone - Wikipedia

He did an article for National Geographic and has made a fortune off of it. He did not invent the term, but expropriated it.
Ummmm..... It is my understanding (from people who have lived there) that Okinawa is NOT a place where they have a:

Quote:
populations eat mostly carbs, and mostly starchy carbs at that
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 04:06 PM
VIP Member

Now that they have fast food the younger gernerations are falling off the diet that put them in the longest live healthiest diet like the rest of the Blue Zones

"The traditional Okinawa diet is low in calories and fat while high in carbs. It emphasizes vegetables and soy products alongside occasional — and small — amounts of noodles, rice, pork, and fish.Apr 16, 2019
Fat: 6%, including 2% saturated fat
Carbs: 85%
Protein: 9%
Healthline › nutrition › okinawa-diet
What Is the Okinawa Diet? Foods, Longevity, and More - Healthline"