What do you consider suburbia? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 11-29-2019, 11:30 PM
Prepared

Default What do you consider suburbia?

Advertise Here

I was reading a thread and what some people were describing as suburbia is what I would call city. I work there and look at the houses so close together and wonder how anyone can live that way. I travel 90 miles one way so I don't have to live like that. Yes, we still have crime out here. Just last week one of my neighbors was murdered by a hunter. All I can say is that is one less deer eating my apples. But, what are your ideas as to city vs. suburbia vs. rural? What's what?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PromptCritical For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromptCritical View Post
I was reading a thread and what some people were describing as suburbia is what I would call city. I work there and look at the houses so close together and wonder how anyone can live that way. I travel 90 miles one way so I don't have to live like that. Yes, we still have crime out here. Just last week one of my neighbors was murdered by a hunter. All I can say is that is one less deer eating my apples. But, what are your ideas as to city vs. suburbia vs. rural? What's what?

I don't use those terms at all

You have downtown cores of cities mostly commercial districts you have residential zones that are either low (mostly houses often on the outer area of younger cities due to land values being a little lower so bigger houses with more land), medium (Standard middle class neighbourhoods with little space between neighbours or townhouses next to one another) or high density (This can be high cost condos or community housing skycrappers, appartments and midrises tend to be a large number of people these are often located around commercial zones. ) you have towns and you have rural areas surrounding them. In some areas there may not be many towns for 60 miles or more and the towns tend to serve as home bases for the surrounding rural areas that are mostly farm.

Then you have the remote areas that you can only fly into as there are no roads.

suburbia is a term that comes about as a result of cities growing really fast urban sprawls around the cities as a result of the return of post world war II housing of veterans and the baby boom that happened.. more or less suburibia is an urban middle class sprawl with smaller commericial centers like malls and fast food restaurants. To me a city is 250,000+ people a small city might be 100,000 plus... less than that you have large town down to around 10,000 then you have village and at about 1000 you might have like hamlet etc.. Above 1 million is like large city, above 10 million is megalopolis. Above 25 million is asian city.
The Following User Says Thank You to William Ashley For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 10:39 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 6,029 Times in 1,586 Posts

SUBURBIA is where the houses become pretty much all single family and people still out number the critters, and no one ever asks "what is that smell?" when its time to run the manure spreaders.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 01:44 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,488 Times in 9,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromptCritical View Post
I experienced the same type of culture shock in 1982 when I graduated ISU with an engineering degree, and moved to Southern California for my first professional job.

I never learned to tolerate the traffic, the rudeness, or the crowds. Two years later I got a job at a US Navy base in the high desert, and worked another 30 yrs, safely issolated from the big pile of **** called Los Angeles.

My suggestion is to find a suitable job away from the crowded city and dont look back.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 01:58 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I experienced the same type of culture shock in 1982 when I graduated ISU with an engineering degree, and moved to Southern California for my first professional job.

I never learned to tolerate the traffic, the rudeness, or the crowds. Two years later I got a job at a US Navy base in the high desert, and worked another 30 yrs, safely issolated from the big pile of **** called Los Angeles.

My suggestion is to find a suitable job away from the crowded city and dont look back.
I think I've read some of your posts about your adventures moving to a more rural area of OK?

While that appeals to me, very much, it wouldn't work for my family. I think my kids might like it and come to love it, but my wife would be miserable.

One great aspect of this planet is that there are so many choices for so many different kinds of people. While I agree with you that large cities like Los Angeles just isn't for people like us, some people like it and I think that's fine. It's better for them to be there than being miserable in OK as your neighbors
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 02:06 PM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 10,041 Times in 3,602 Posts

I live in a city. I have a large container garden, with about 15 fruit trees in my back yard. My front gate opens to one street, back gate opens to another.

I deliver to new developments where the residents are not allowed to have a
Garden like what I have. They are not allowed to have the fences that I have surrounding my back yard. Yet they live in suburbs and I live in a small city.

I hear about home invasions in the country because certain people don't
have neighbors to watch out for each other.

I have 4 dogs who scare indigenous populants away from my fence. If I
did not have neighbors who are retired, it may not be a problem to
hurt my dogs first, then break into my house while I work.

Its all in your perspective.

Last edited by jfountain2; 11-30-2019 at 11:42 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 02:40 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 13,169 Times in 5,757 Posts

There is a government document I read that designates urban, suburban and rural neighborhoods by the number of houses per mile. I can't seem to find it now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 02:55 PM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 17,999 Times in 5,494 Posts

In all three it really comes down to what you can afford to what your experience will be. Personally I rather live close to work and commute to my rural place on the weekend.

Even in urban centers you can live a safe and happy life (if that is your thing) but it costs a lot.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,332 Times in 704 Posts

This was posted on facebook today, so the image is very current My home "town" of under 2000 residents when I lived there. Actually my home town was made part of the large city in the horizon two years before I was born so technically... is that a suburb now?

One bank, one small store, several farms, several daycares, few other businesses. 15-25 minute drive to the center of 3rd largest city in the country. Most people work elsewhere now.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:54 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 42,863 Times in 13,239 Posts

At least in Tulsa I would define suburbia as that place where people look at you funny if you walk down the sidewalk. No one gets out of their car unless they just have to. 2 blocks to the local convenience store and yet they will drive.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:02 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,247 Times in 2,426 Posts

Don't see how you equate one less neighbor with more apples for you! Whatever.

If you dont know differences of Urban, suburban, and rural, not sure you're in the right place to start.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:36 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palma View Post
Don't see how you equate one less neighbor with more apples for you! Whatever.
OP was trying to be clever. The "neighbor" was a deer who was eating his apples.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 10:29 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,899 Times in 3,903 Posts

Many areas that started out as suburbs of cities turned into cities themselves as their population grew and attracted businesses to the area. Thus pushing the suburbs even further out.

Last edited by jfountain2; 11-30-2019 at 11:45 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 10:44 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,365 Times in 1,815 Posts

In order to qualify as RURAL you need top be able to urinate off your deck in full daylight, or empty your EDC pistol at a steel gong in the yard before going into the house at night when you come home.

If either of these do not apply, you are still in suburbia.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 10:50 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outpost75 View Post
in order to qualify as rural you need top be able to urinate off your deck in full daylight, or empty your edc pistol at a steel gong in the yard before going into the house at night when you come home.

i am rural:d::d::d:
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 12:17 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,899 Times in 3,903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
In order to qualify as RURAL you need top be able to urinate off your deck in full daylight, or empty your EDC pistol at a steel gong in the yard before going into the house at night when you come home.

View from my front porch

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 01:33 AM
Prepared

Quote:

The only problem with taking a wizz off the back beck is the noise the deer in the bean field make. They stand there and go "Hee-hee, hee-hee." I find this annoying.
The Following User Says Thank You to PromptCritical For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 10:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,009 Times in 1,826 Posts

Suburbs have water and sewage like city but with a bit of land, like the city neither have freedom and thatís what living rural is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to petergunn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 06:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,410 Times in 4,342 Posts

Quote:

Im in suburbia and can do that. I happen to own large acreage in a moderately sized city.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:08 PM
Born 120 years too late.

RURAL.. yeah I would say I am definitely rural, as in northern rural.

I go out my back door (south)and it is 3 miles to the next house through the forest.
at the end of my 1/4 mile drive going north is a paved county road. I keep going north on a forest trail
and
The next paved road is about 18 miles... no houses, just a paved road cut through the national forest.
My "neighbor", I can just barely see to the north because all the leaves and green is finally down under the snow.
The only other house on our road is a part timer and I can't see them any time of the year. Would have to clear cut a lot to bring them into view.

Could pretty much do naked year round and except for shocking the occasional UPS driver, no one would notice.