Feelings about the upcoming holidays - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 11-26-2019, 11:54 PM

Thanked 1,611 Times in 740 Posts

Advertise Here

Macy's has been having a "Black Friday pre-view." I just stumbled upon it a few days ago. It's really worth-while.

Certainly smart. If Black Friday is so important, and yet it's become so disgusting and tough, they definitely shouldn't limit it to just one day anymore. It's a lot better to make it a week-long kind of thing.

I was happy to be walking around there without really a crowd around, and finding huge discounts on everything.

Many years ago, I remember Black Friday was still kind of a secret. Now it's super-famous. It doesn't make sense to be directing everyone into the mall on just one day, and giving them such little chance to get the sale prices.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim from 28DaysLater For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 12:31 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,767 Posts

I love them. I get to spend extra time with my family and eat. Two of my favorite things in life.

What's not to love about that?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 12:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,048 Times in 2,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
I am pretty happy living on our farm doing as I wish. It's just the skiing for Christmas that has to stop. But, it's one day out of the year, not that big of a deal. We used to go on a 1-2 week trip to ski , so it's not all that much time. But it is aggrevating that we finally live driving distance from a ski area and I only got to enjoy it for 3 years...oh well

Hope your friend survives but be prepared. My best friend died from a heart attack this year after surgery. He died 3 weeks after bypass surgery and it was very unexpected to me. If I had known he was not going to recover I would have visited him one more time.

Plus things are looking up for Thanksgiving! I think...daughter is coming after all most likely, just late, and bringing a new boyfriend. We will see how all that goes.

I'm 48, my kids are two years younger than my girlfriend, your daughter, see ya at Thanksgiving ma.

Love ya.

Just kidding

Just kidding.......

Are you any good at.making a turkey?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MOA1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 12:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,048 Times in 2,026 Posts

Dark humor, my specialty.
The Following User Says Thank You to MOA1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 02:50 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,596 Posts

Church. I love the big traditional services and the Scriptures... especially the midnight candlelight service on Christmas Eve. Wonderful to hear/remember what God did/does for us and be thankful and joyous

Love driving around in the middle of the night playing Christmas carols and hymns and admiring all the pretty Christmas lights

When I had my own place, I put up lots of Christmas lights and a big nativity outside, a Menorah in the window, plus a Christmas tree with a root ball inside. Then planting it in the spring. Right now, I'm happy being able to put up a cut Christmas tree... the fragrance and lights are still awesome... someday when I have my own place again...

It'll just be immediate family for Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, and Epiphany. Too many people jabbering/laughing/swapping memories/stories all at once simply overwhelm Mom. Traditional turkey dinners for the two biggies, veal scallopini for Christmas Eve, lasagne for New Year's Eve (leftovers the next day)...

Looking forward to the holidays... some family members won't be around for many more, so we're enjoying them together now, while we still can
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 10:54 AM
I give up

Thanked 19,686 Times in 5,125 Posts

I really enjoy seeing family. However, I don't have much free time at all, so Thanksgiving/Christmas travel to family eats "hard" into my 20 or so days off per year.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 12:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,852 Times in 3,725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOA1 View Post
I'm 48, my kids are two years younger than my girlfriend, your daughter, see ya at Thanksgiving ma.

Love ya.

Just kidding

Just kidding.......

Are you any good at.making a turkey?

Actually, and this IS funny, her boyfriend is quite a few years YOUNGER than her , but she looks young ( she is 27)

Yes, I am a very good cook at anything pretty much except pie crust. My favorite is deep fried turkey but I got tired of spending all that money on oil and then not using it again, so it goes in the oven this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 12:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,852 Times in 3,725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujet View Post
I really enjoy seeing family. However, I don't have much free time at all, so Thanksgiving/Christmas travel to family eats "hard" into my 20 or so days off per year.
I can totally relate to that. When we were still engineers and living in Orlando, we used our holidays for trips, and visited the (few) relatives we had before. It was really just husband's parents ( both gone now) and sometimes his sister and family. We went camping Thanksgiving, skiing Christmas, and used the 4th of July for our summer trip to get the extra day or 2.
Maybe you could combine vacation with the family trip, depending on where they live? Hopefully not some boring place like Iowa or Kansas...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 02:49 PM
Doin it Southern Style

Thanked 1,198 Times in 468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbowie1 View Post
it,s just me and my old lab, I havent celebrated any holidays for over 40 years, Me and SCOOBY will go up to my pasture, cook something over the campfire, Its peaceful and its snowing a little right now, That said I wish all of you good folks a happy holiday,
This morning on our walk around the pasture, a bobcat ran out of the brush and OLD SCOOBY took off after it he,is 10 and over weight but he ran about 100 ft then looked at me and I told him what a great hunter he is lol.seeing him trying to chase the bobcat made my heart feel good.
Dont care much for the Holidays. Thanksgiving or Christmas

jimbowie-- this brought a big happy smile to my face just thinking about the whole picture. As quick as the thought of the solitude and peacefulness with the campfire and your dog made me smile so did the thought of your happiness with it all.

Anyways Thanks for the well wishes.

Wishing You and Old Scooby the best in life.
May your fire be warm and your plates full.

COB
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arkansas COB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 03:14 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 31,706 Times in 9,143 Posts

Don't really care for them nowadays. Growing up I was around family, grandmother, aunts uncles and cousins. Loved it. It was always a joyous time. Then I married an alcoholic who was also Bipolar.

I got to the point I dreaded holidays because he would drink then turn mean as hell and if he wasn't being mean he was balling his eyes out because he missed his mother who had died when he was 17 of Ovarian cancer. 20 years later you'd have thought he lost her just a few days before. I can understand him being upset about his mom and then his 2 sisters and all that but they'd been dead for years.

My parents weren't allowed to come, if he got a hint that they were even thinking about it he would throw 1 hell of a fit, things, me, whatever into the walls and there would be a big mess over that because I wouldn't be allowed to go see them unless he decided I could.

By the time I finally left, I hated the holidays. The Old Goat loved them but I just coudn't get enthused. My son is like me, he got soured by his dad.

No one comes to visit and we don't go anywhere. My son will cook a turkey and we'll have a pie or 2 but that's it, my mom will stop by and have a plate then go visit other people and we'll watch the Cowboy game. But other than that that's it.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 03:50 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,657 Times in 3,844 Posts

When the kids were at home we made a big thing of the holidays.

With them grown and long gone the wife and I don't do much for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years any more. She does still like to decorate the house all Christmasy. On the inside at least as there is no one able to see any decorations on the outside. I might go down and string some battery powered LED lights on the gate though.

We enjoy the food but cooking a big meal for just the two of us became too much of a hassle.

After our move it now looks like we will spend Christmas with our neighbor and his family as a regular thing now.

Christmas also loses some of it's magic when you are able to buy yourself pretty much anything you want during the year instead of having to wait until December.

Last edited by Steve_In_29; 11-27-2019 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: spelling
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 03:51 PM

Thanked 1,611 Times in 740 Posts

I actually really love huge Christmas trees. And they're charging less for big trees than they used to.

Now I'm again in a situation where I'm getting to see the other side of the coin, though. As great as I think they are, I'm finding I'm happier now with a tree that's easier to work with-- easier to carry and move, less chance of hurting yourself, less time to decorate it, less chance it's going to fall off your car, fewer pine needles.

They made sort of too many cynical holiday movies and TV shows. It's annoying when you want to watch a holiday movie, and every single one you can find on TV is two hours of a holiday getting screwed up, or about fighting some scary villain. It doesn't really fit in with the holidays.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim from 28DaysLater For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 04:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,776 Times in 8,357 Posts

I have six cats who love to get into things... no tree here.

Bipolars always have a hard time during the holidays. Most of us get depressed or start cycling which is no fun.

Last year I went to my aunts, didn't think anything of bringing my medication. I took it during the meal and a little girl watched me. I explained I had to take medicine to stay healthy and left it at that. My aunt was very pleased at me for setting a good example.

Growing up, the only example I had of bipolar was my mother the alcoholic, always another man, drama, many suicide attempts, etc. I would like to be a good example of "This is no big deal".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 05:27 PM
Closed for the Season.

Thanked 30,686 Times in 10,726 Posts

Just received from a neighbor and a local church a paper bag with a complete thanksgiving meal. In a plastic covered serving dish is turkey, stuffing, beans and mashed potatoes. Along with it is a tub of gravy, package of two dinner rolls, small dish of cranberry sauce and a wedge of pumpkin pie. I am going to have a real great dinner tonight.

It is my understanding from the neighbor that they made up more than a hundred of these meals to go out into the community. Very nice of them. Happy Thanksgiving folks!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 05:36 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Like PurpleKitty, I have 6 cats. I have a tabletop tree and last year it was a daily grind to keep that thing sticking vertical.

Since I left school 10yrs agp, Ive worked most holidays so havent done much since. If I happen to have a day close to it, Ill visit my mom.

Im not much for family get togethers. The less people, the better. Now its me and my wife, her parents live across the hall so easy to gather with at our convenience. But, I do enjoy a plate of turkey, Christmas music and some good Christmas films.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmallGame2100 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2019, 10:11 AM
Closed for the Season.

For Thanksgiving today I had picked up a small frozen turkey. It is less than 12lbs so it does not have to go on to roast until later in the day. I did get the giblets and neck out yesterday and boiled them until the meat separated from the bones. This morning I cut that up and added the diced celery and onions, plus butter and the correct total liquid to boil and make stuffing for the bird. I like to cook the celery and onion a bit because it would be hard to get it fully cooked in such a small bird. It looks like it will be less than 3 hour cook time.

The weather is quite dreadful out today so I am happy to have the anticipation of a turkey feast. Being it is only myself I am only making the turkey, stuffing and gravy and none of the other add ons. It should provide me with quite a few meals in the days ahead.

I remember when cooking up a large bird having to wake up early to get it started.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2019, 01:18 PM
Survivor

One thing I miss is ham. No one does ham for the holidays anymore. I may have to get some on my next Walmart delivery, I have a hankering for ham.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:26 AM
Closed for the Season.

Whew! Finished cleanup. Stripping all the meat, boiled the carcass yesterday, straining out bones and inedible bits this morning and freezing the broth for future soups, vacuum packing the meat and stuffing into dinner sized amounts and when all was done, washing all the dishes and utensils. Time to take a break and enjoy my morning coffee.

Must admit I may never do it again. Stouffers frozen turkey dinner might be my future choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 09:56 AM
Survivor

My cousins must have read my post, they had a huge ham at dinner in addition to the turkey and fixings.

I was quite happy.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:06 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,657 Times in 3,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
One thing I miss is ham. No one does ham for the holidays anymore. I may have to get some on my next Walmart delivery, I have a hankering for ham.
We will often cook up a ham at random times of the year. The holidays is a good time to buy several cheap and throw them in the freezer.

One issue with the holidays is New Years isn't something to look forward to so much once the miles start to wind down on life.