Feelings about the upcoming holidays - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2019, 02:11 PM
sonya1's Avatar
sonya1 sonya1 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,092
Thanks: 4,355
Thanked 9,853 Times in 3,726 Posts
Default Feelings about the upcoming holidays



Advertise Here

Do you hate them? Love them? Why? Why not? What do you usually do?
Favorite food? Favorite part of the holidays? Least favorite?

My daughter was supposed to come visit for Thanksgiving , and now she is most likely not, couldn't get off and I am sort of disappointed.

Christmas we usually go skiing ( hey, it's our tradition) if there is snow somewhere. We did last year , it was awesome. This year I injured myself and while walking and functioning, there is no way I am skiing, neither is husband who wiped out last time we skied and hurt his knee, and has decided he is too old for this. So, I am sort of totally not looking forward to the holidays this year. We used to go to church Christmas Eve but now we don't anymore.

I have only 3 of us to cook for, I hate shopping like the plague, nobody is coming to visit, my best friend who used to come at least for Thanksgiving died this year and I will miss him very much, all of my relatives live in Europe and I just wished it was ....March of 2020....
Quick reply to this message
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 02:15 PM
ingyow's Avatar
ingyow ingyow is offline
Cross-eyed Target Shooter
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 861
Thanks: 5,466
Thanked 3,019 Times in 684 Posts
Default

Since the Dem-Socs have declared most holidays either irrelevant or politically incorrect now days, I usually just ignore them and continue with my usual routine. Just me now. No family and society doesn't seem to want to celebrate many holidays anyway. They just use them as excuses not to work or to mindlessly spend money shopping for things that no one really wants/likes.

Not like the old days where people actually cared about the spirit of the particular holiday.

It is what it is.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ingyow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 02:17 PM
Ghost863's Avatar
Ghost863 Ghost863 is online now
Slayer of Trolls
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,551
Thanks: 28,126
Thanked 11,969 Times in 3,538 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
Do you hate them? Love them? Why? Why not? What do you usually do?
Favorite food? Favorite part of the holidays? Least favorite?

My daughter was supposed to come visit for Thanksgiving , and now she is most likely not, couldn't get off and I am sort of disappointed.

Christmas we usually go skiing ( hey, it's our tradition) if there is snow somewhere. We did last year , it was awesome. This year I injured myself and while walking and functioning, there is no way I am skiing, neither is husband who wiped out last time we skied and hurt his knee, and has decided he is too old for this. So, I am sort of totally not looking forward to the holidays this year. We used to go to church Christmas Eve but now we don't anymore.

I have only 3 of us to cook for, I hate shopping like the plague, nobody is coming to visit, my best friend who used to come at least for Thanksgiving died this year and I will miss him very much, all of my relatives live in Europe and I just wished it was ....March of 2020....
I have always loved Thanksgiving because of the good food my grandparents and the rest of the family cooked. I used to love Christmas also but Not so much anymore. My baby brother was murdered 20 years ago and his birthday was December 18, So Christmas time always reminds me of him. I am slowly getting to where I will celebrate it again but mostly because of the grandkids.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 02:30 PM
InOmaha InOmaha is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 7,234
Thanks: 6,160
Thanked 22,392 Times in 5,829 Posts
Default

We've always traveled. So holidays are a suck of driving and staying in small guest beds. Then occasionally it snows like it's supposed to tomorrow, so we have to be meteorologists and pack survival gear in case the interstate is shut down and/or we get stuck on the highway overnight.

Worst case, I'm bringing booze as well as food so I'll toss in winter gear, warming gear, and we can have Thanksgiving on the side of the road. Best case, we get to drive hundreds of miles in crappy weather and stay with the in-laws. There's a thin line between best case and worst case.

I like Thanksgiving more because there is just as much food and no shopping or wrapping, and much less packing involved.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 03:12 PM
Cranberry Cranberry is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 231
Thanks: 50
Thanked 423 Times in 176 Posts
Default

In our family the holidays are always different. Each year we get together with different family members and different neighbors. Different trips are made each year. There is little routine to what happens in the holidays in my family. It's typically good. I have few complaints.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cranberry For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 03:33 PM
jeff_k's Avatar
jeff_k jeff_k is online now
ICBM Warrior
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: On the move
Age: 57
Posts: 378
Thanks: 518
Thanked 720 Times in 253 Posts
Default

I used to love the holidays!!! Now, not so much. I think a lot of it has to do with life and my BS tolerance over time. I moved back to VA to help my brother care for my Mom and give him a break from time to time. That usually means I'll watch her for a few days over the holidays. My family is spread out over the country, and kids are usually doing their own thing or with ex's family. I'm welcome at individual ex-relative's houses, but my presence at an entire family gathering would be a distraction. The first real test of that will be at oldest daughter's wedding in Feb 2020.

I do need to start going back to church in general, not just over the holidays. That'll be something to aim for.

Maybe other people's lives are like a Hallmark Christmas show, but I'd bet not many...LOL. My life is more like that of Christmas Vacation's Clark Griswold and I'm most like "Cousin Eddie...****ter's full!" hehehe. That reminds me...after T-day, time to start up the classic movie collection watching...because after all...Bumbles Bounce!

After typing all this, it makes me realize I do have many things for which to be thankful!!! Thanks Sonya.

That's what it's all about.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jeff_k For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 03:40 PM
m151's Avatar
m151 m151 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Miami,Fl
Posts: 53
Thanks: 4
Thanked 33 Times in 13 Posts
Default

I don't understand what politics have to do with Holidays and more so to blame it on the Democrats Socialist ,is totally ignorant and specially in a country where socialism rules or haven't you notice everything here is control by the government for the good of the people except that here corporate controls the government ,just take a look at the WH today.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m151 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 03:42 PM
Jojo's Avatar
Jojo Jojo is online now
Indefatigable
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Age: 59
Posts: 18,324
Thanks: 43,685
Thanked 42,771 Times in 13,231 Posts
Default

I love them. I took my father's advice "you marry the entire family" VERY seriously. Everyone gets along, 20 years and I have never seen a fight. We all live close and routinely have potlucks, picnics and pizza nights together throughout the year.
We will start early and weather permitting play horseshoes or dominoes while we get the feast ready. We eat at noon and just like at grandmas house, some of us will probably take a nap on the floor in the afternoon and we will all eat again before we fully clear the table.
We all look forward to it, every year.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 04:01 PM
jimbowie1's Avatar
jimbowie1 jimbowie1 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,932
Thanks: 21,220
Thanked 13,394 Times in 3,677 Posts
Default

it,s just me and my old lab, I havent celebrated any holidays for over 40 years, Me and SCOOBY will go up to my pasture, cook something over the campfire, Its peaceful and its snowing a little right now, That said I wish all of you good folks a happy holiday,
This morning on our walk around the pasture, a bobcat ran out of the brush and OLD SCOOBY took off after it he,is 10 and over weight but he ran about 100 ft then looked at me and I told him what a great hunter he is lol.seeing him trying to chase the bobcat made my heart feel good.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jimbowie1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 04:18 PM
Ghost863's Avatar
Ghost863 Ghost863 is online now
Slayer of Trolls
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,551
Thanks: 28,126
Thanked 11,969 Times in 3,538 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
I love them. I took my father's advice "you marry the entire family" VERY seriously. Everyone gets along, 20 years and I have never seen a fight. We all live close and routinely have potlucks, picnics and pizza nights together throughout the year.
We will start early and weather permitting play horseshoes or dominoes while we get the feast ready. We eat at noon and just like at grandmas house, some of us will probably take a nap on the floor in the afternoon and we will all eat again before we fully clear the table.
We all look forward to it, every year.
Jojo, I rarely find myself agreeing with anything you post but occasionally you will post something that reminds me that you are actually still a person with yor own thoughts and beliefs, just like the rest of us. So from now on, I am going to just think of you as the annoying big sister in the family. And even if you and I never agree on anything at all, I want to wish you a happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas. And that goes for everyone on this board including the trolls. (you all know who you are)
Quick reply to this message
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 05:13 PM
MattB4 MattB4 is offline
Closed for the Season.
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 15,773
Thanks: 22,099
Thanked 30,686 Times in 10,726 Posts
Default

Being a solitary old guy Holidays do not have a great impact. Does not depress me like some poor souls that get all worked up for one reason or another. I have noticed a distressing tendency for things to go sideways when it is the Holiday period and during this time it is about impossible to get things done as you would normally. Everyone is out on Holiday!

I do think both Thanksgiving and Christmas can be a great time to be with family and enjoy traditions. Here's wishing everyone a fun, safe and enjoyable Holiday season.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 05:22 PM
ActionJackson's Avatar
ActionJackson ActionJackson is offline
Longing For True Liberty
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Utah
Age: 59
Posts: 29,925
Thanks: 47,445
Thanked 55,168 Times in 19,062 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
Do you hate them? Love them? Why? Why not? What do you usually do?
Favorite food? Favorite part of the holidays? Least favorite?

My daughter was supposed to come visit for Thanksgiving , and now she is most likely not, couldn't get off and I am sort of disappointed.

Christmas we usually go skiing ( hey, it's our tradition) if there is snow somewhere. We did last year , it was awesome. This year I injured myself and while walking and functioning, there is no way I am skiing, neither is husband who wiped out last time we skied and hurt his knee, and has decided he is too old for this. So, I am sort of totally not looking forward to the holidays this year. We used to go to church Christmas Eve but now we don't anymore.

I have only 3 of us to cook for, I hate shopping like the plague, nobody is coming to visit, my best friend who used to come at least for Thanksgiving died this year and I will miss him very much, all of my relatives live in Europe and I just wished it was ....March of 2020....
For me ... "the holidays" bring memories of family fights, gossip, backbiting, and general heartache (for the most part). What would always start out as a fun and exciting day would end up with arguments, hurt feelings, and general negativity.

I spend them completely alone nowadays. I will cook a turkey for myself or, on occasion, take myself out to a nice restaurant but most of the day is spent playing video games and spending quality alone time.

I did learn, recently, that the cause of so much bickering is probably tied to sugar consumption.


Before I started on the Keto diet ... stuffing was my favorite dish followed by mashed potatoes with lots of butter and gravy. Now ... I focus on meat and leafy greens (still with lots of butter). I guess Thanksgiving if my favorite holiday. It's about the only one I actually observe.
__________________
MAMA
Make America Moral Again!!!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 05:27 PM
sonya1's Avatar
sonya1 sonya1 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,092
Thanks: 4,355
Thanked 9,853 Times in 3,726 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_k View Post
Maybe other people's lives are like a Hallmark Christmas show, but I'd bet not many...LOL. My life is more like that of Christmas Vacation's Clark Griswold and I'm most like "Cousin Eddie...****ter's full!" hehehe. That reminds me...after T-day, time to start up the classic movie collection watching...because after all...Bumbles Bounce!

After typing all this, it makes me realize I do have many things for which to be thankful!!! Thanks Sonya.

That's what it's all about.
Yes, absolutely! I am thankful I am not in a wheelchair, even if I can't ski. I am thankful I do have a family , husband and son are going to be here and maybe daughter. And all the animals of course.

And yes , absolutely going to watch Christmas Vacation!! My all time favorite Christmas movie, well, that and "you'll shoot your eye out"
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 05:30 PM
sonya1's Avatar
sonya1 sonya1 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,092
Thanks: 4,355
Thanked 9,853 Times in 3,726 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
I love them. I took my father's advice "you marry the entire family" VERY seriously. Everyone gets along, 20 years and I have never seen a fight. We all live close and routinely have potlucks, picnics and pizza nights together throughout the year.
We will start early and weather permitting play horseshoes or dominoes while we get the feast ready. We eat at noon and just like at grandmas house, some of us will probably take a nap on the floor in the afternoon and we will all eat again before we fully clear the table.
We all look forward to it, every year.
It's nice you have a big family to get together with and you all get along. I don't know what that's like. My family isn't that big and neither is husband's unless you count distant cousins and such. Plus we all live fairly far apart.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 05:37 PM
sonya1's Avatar
sonya1 sonya1 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,092
Thanks: 4,355
Thanked 9,853 Times in 3,726 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
For me ... "the holidays" bring memories of family fights, gossip, backbiting, and general heartache (for the most part). What would always start out as a fun and exciting day would end up with arguments, hurt feelings, and general negativity.

I spend them completely alone nowadays. I will cook a turkey for myself or, on occasion, take myself out to a nice restaurant but most of the day is spent playing video games and spending quality alone time.

I did learn, recently, that the cause of so much bickering is probably tied to sugar consumption.
I have never had that experience either ( family fighting during holidays) , that must have sucked.

When our youngest was around 5, we asked them one year "would you rather have presents or go see snow and go skiing?" , we didn't have the money for both at the time and they had never seen snow. They picked snow and skiing and it became a tradition. I think now I am most upset because I can't ski and feeling old.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 05:40 PM
ActionJackson's Avatar
ActionJackson ActionJackson is offline
Longing For True Liberty
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Utah
Age: 59
Posts: 29,925
Thanks: 47,445
Thanked 55,168 Times in 19,062 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost863 View Post
I have always loved Thanksgiving because of the good food my grandparents and the rest of the family cooked. I used to love Christmas also but Not so much anymore. My baby brother was murdered 20 years ago and his birthday was December 18, So Christmas time always reminds me of him. I am slowly getting to where I will celebrate it again but mostly because of the grandkids.
Sorry to hear about your brother. Mine died in a motorcycle accident but it was in the summer so it doesn't affect the winter holidays. Sure wish he was still around. Outside of one of my sisters, he was the only one I really cared to hang out with.
__________________
MAMA
Make America Moral Again!!!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 05:45 PM
sonya1's Avatar
sonya1 sonya1 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,092
Thanks: 4,355
Thanked 9,853 Times in 3,726 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Sorry to hear about your brother. Mine died in a motorcycle accident but it was in the summer so it doesn't affect the winter holidays. Sure wish he was still around. Outside of one of my sisters, he was the only one I really cared to hang out with.
Sorry for both of your losses.
I don't see my brother very often, probably around every 2-5 years depending on how often we are willing and able to fly across the Atlantic. We get along pretty well as adults but did not when we were kids. I would miss him very much now if he was gone completely, even if we only talk on the phone maybe once a month and don't see each other often. I think I will call him next weekend. They don't have Thanksgiving.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 05:49 PM
ActionJackson's Avatar
ActionJackson ActionJackson is offline
Longing For True Liberty
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Utah
Age: 59
Posts: 29,925
Thanks: 47,445
Thanked 55,168 Times in 19,062 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
I have never had that experience either ( family fighting during holidays) , that must have sucked.

When our youngest was around 5, we asked them one year "would you rather have presents or go see snow and go skiing?" , we didn't have the money for both at the time and they had never seen snow. They picked snow and skiing and it became a tradition. I think now I am most upset because I can't ski and feeling old.

That's actually a good idea. I think quality family time trumps materialism by a long shot. Glad you chose correctly! I look back on my life with bitter-sweet melancholy. If wishes were nickels ... I'd be a wealthy man.
__________________
MAMA
Make America Moral Again!!!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 05:51 PM
Ghost863's Avatar
Ghost863 Ghost863 is online now
Slayer of Trolls
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,551
Thanks: 28,126
Thanked 11,969 Times in 3,538 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Sorry to hear about your brother. Mine died in a motorcycle accident but it was in the summer so it doesn't affect the winter holidays. Sure wish he was still around. Outside of one of my sisters, he was the only one I really cared to hang out with.
And I too am sorry to hear about your loss as well my friend. I use to my advantage though, it reminds me to remember to let those that you love know it and never take them for granted. Because you never know when the last time yo will see that loved one. I was lucky though, two days before he died I knew he was having problems and he and I hung out that day. I bought a 6 pack of budweiser longnecks and gave him 3 and I drank 3. While we were talking I got to tell him that he was my brother and I loved him and that if he ever needed anything all he had to do was ask. He told me that he appreciated it and drove off. 2 days later his wife had him murdered by people who she was involved with in dealing drugs. So I guess I now know what was bugging him, he was planning on leaving her and she killed him for it.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 06:09 PM
sonya1's Avatar
sonya1 sonya1 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,092
Thanks: 4,355
Thanked 9,853 Times in 3,726 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
That's actually a good idea. I think quality family time trumps materialism by a long shot. Glad you chose correctly! I look back on my life with bitter-sweet melancholy. If wishes were nickels ... I'd be a wealthy man.
I have absolutely no regrets on any of the family trips we did, we used to go camping ( we lived in Florida before) on Thanksgiving every year also, and often had friends come along. That was always totally fun. One of the few things I miss about Florida, camping at Juniper Springs for Thanksgiving. But, we no longer need to camp to be out in beautiful nature, we live in it now I guess one more thing to be thankful for!
I have never been a materialistic person, can't relate to that somehow. If I was, I certainly wouldn't live here and do what we do.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net