Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 11-03-2019, 01:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,012 Times in 2,145 Posts

Advertise Here

I recently read that the President is going to hold fire suppression funds from California until it does something about its forest situation. I did not research the posting. If true and it does happen it may be of great benefit to our state. Money talks. B.S. walks. Ever wonder what the California Public utilities commission is doing? I'm in favor of letting the fires burn out. I think we have rain predicted in two weeks.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 01:51 PM
Padre in the woods

Thanked 1,160 Times in 405 Posts

Don't know if this is true, as I'm not from Californication. But an article in the morning paper gave two sobering reasons for the fires. A type of evasive grass which was brought in to help "green" the landscape, but when it dies it's as flammable as paper. The second thing was the reluctance to tend to the land, and clean off the dead stuff, which is helping propagate the fire.

For the life of me, I can't understand how people can be comfortable with all the fuel around their homes to give help to the wildfire.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FoxtrotVictor1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 05:39 PM
Survivor

just got back from hunting. While there I checked some power lines. New metal poles had been installed! Below the lines the brush and grass was 4'tall. Think real hard, what happens when a line falls into 4 of flammable tinder? No clear cuts, fires come up the canyon and there is nothing to slow them down. I drove to Oakland a few weeks ago. The Fire breaks were grown over with several feet of brush. California stopped fire containment. Let it burn. Of note my fire insurance rose 300% a couple of years ago. Some people in the area lost their homes as they could not pay the increased payments. My neighbor canceled his fire insurance. He put a scraper blade on his tractor and clears 300' around his place. nothing but dirt for 300' around his house. He mows another couple hundred feet and is removing trees. My animals keep the grass down to near nothing so I'm fine. Lets hope the recall on newsom goes through. Time to get the libs out of our state and get some people capable of intelligent thought
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 08:19 PM

Thanked 6,114 Times in 1,641 Posts

I know this is thread about California but things other states do can be pertinent. I don't know positively about other large areas of Texas but in most parts of East Texas power and pipe line right of ways are kept mowed with brush hogs numerous times of the year. It isn't kept "yard height" but low enough to allow easy hunting. LOL They are usually heavily hunted where available and whatever company owning the right of way doesn't usually mind placement of a food plot along of the edge of the tree line adjoining the right of way. High grass and brush aren't allowed to accumulate in those areas by those companies.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob3rd For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 01:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 23,599 Times in 7,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Ashley View Post
Where did I say this was due to global warming.
Right here. Yeah, I know you played it off as if you weren’t saying it...but you HAD to say it, didn’t you.

“....all this talk about Cali burning yet nearly 50 years ago they were talking about this exact same issue... fact is THEY DIDN'T plan for climate change, and they still arn't doing it fast enough. Finally caught up.. took nearly 50 years but it go there.. scary to think where we will be in 50 more.”

Oddly...that sounds exactly like how you talk.

Quote:
I very clearly indicated it was due to management of the Colorado river. Over consumption and overuse of limited water supply.
And again, you post BS you know nothing about. Water rights are extremely important out here. If Cali wasn’t getting their share, there would be fights. And....the Colorado river really has NOTHING to do with wildfires. I mean...seriously. Where do you live that you know so little about the geography of Cali? And yet you speak as if you know stuff...even though you don’t.

Quote:
Some people actually want to improve the world they live in so it costs them less to live..
But not you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
But mainly, it is down to global warming.

Years ago, scientists predicted a 4 times increase in acreage burnt to wildfires in the western united states per 1 degree Celsius increase in global temperature.
So far, bang on.
Wow...it’s hard to understand you with your nose so deep inside WA...
Old 11-04-2019, 09:02 AM
Lazy Prepper

Thanked 1,513 Times in 446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRyan View Post
You forgot the 100 year old utilities that dont upgrade lines to make more profit for shareholders.

As a sidenote to a different man made disaster Jerry Brown waited 6 months to respond to a natural gas leak in Porter Ranch. Released more CO2 into the atmosphere than any other disaster in recent history. But he is a climate change warrior.

And the rest of you Libs wonder why we dont believe your puppet masters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Pretty hard to do any upgrade on the lines when the government forces you to pay for renewable energy projects, or to buy solar energy from homeowners at customer prices, cutting into baseload and them forcing you to ramp-up with gas when solar output drops to zero just when demand peaks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elZ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 05:49 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
And again, you post BS you know nothing about. Water rights are extremely important out here. If Cali wasn’t getting their share, there would be fights.
Do you even bother to read information in links? Seriously mate. Again you have no idea what I am even talking about cause you can't bother to read a link. The link indicates that water rights are "over populated" meaning there are way more allowances to draw water than there is water available to draw. So while people all have a share, the share is over consuming leading to water shortages downstream.

Quote:
And....the Colorado river really has NOTHING to do with wildfires. I mean...seriously. Where do you live that you know so little about the geography of Cali? And yet you speak as if you know stuff...even though you don’t.
You know NOTHING about how climate functions or the roles that major water courses play on effecting local climate and regional climate. 0, and that is very obvious. Learn a bit about hydrology and wetland systems come back like you have a clue what you are talking about.

I'm done, not even going to bother with your nonsense until you actually know what you are talking about and provide an actual argument based on facts rather than nonsense.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...-dry-61427169/

Read and just save the world your nonsense, please, get a hint about how the world actually works rather than your fantasy science where everything is plentiful and ever abundant.

read and shut it

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/19/c...ver-water.html

https://auclimate.wordpress.com/2019...by-drying-out/

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...inds-1.5302894

https://www.cwp.org/the-impact-of-wildfires-on-water/
Old 11-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,187 Posts

"Over 1,500 California fires in the past 6 years — including the deadliest ever — were caused by one company: PG&E. Here's what it could have done but didn't."
The Following User Says Thank You to ralfy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 11:06 AM
Survivor

Your post reminds me of the story of the blind men and the elephant. Some of the fires were started by PG&E there were other sources. Look at the problem, not the scape goat.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 03:08 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,516 Times in 9,926 Posts

1,500 fires were caused by the California Legislature, and the radical environmental policies pushed by idots like the Sierra Club.

PGE was forced by the Legislature to perchase power from high priced solar and wind power producers, by idiots who believe in manmade global warming. They were not allowed to adjust electric rates, resulting in less money for maintenence.

PGE was prevented from clearing brush under their power lines by environmentalists trying to protect rodents and spotted owls. The forest service was also prevented from clearing fire breaks on state and federal forest land.

For the last 40 yrs, rational forest management practices have been blocked by radicals using the endangered species act, resulting in a dry, overgrown forest of old dead trees.

The entire state of California is now one big burn pile, waiting for a match, and as far as I'm concerned it all your fault.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 04:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,953 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
1,500 fires were caused by the California Legislature, and the radical environmental policies pushed by idots like the Sierra Club.

PGE was forced by the Legislature to perchase power from high priced solar and wind power producers, by idiots who believe in manmade global warming. They were not allowed to adjust electric rates, resulting in less money for maintenence.

PGE was prevented from clearing brush under their power lines by environmentalists trying to protect rodents and spotted owls. The forest service was also prevented from clearing fire breaks on state and federal forest land.

For the last 40 yrs, rational forest management practices have been blocked by radicals using the endangered species act, resulting in a dry, overgrown forest of old dead trees.

The entire state of California is now one big burn pile, waiting for a match, and as far as I'm concerned it all your fault.

True so let the so-called "Environmentalists" suck it up and Pay for the damages they`ve caused!!!. Kommiefornia is Nothing but Granola,What ain`t Fruits and Flakes is Nuts!. Wall them off..Nobody IN or OUT!.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vlad Tepes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 07:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
Your post reminds me of the story of the blind men and the elephant. Some of the fires were started by PG&E there were other sources. Look at the problem, not the scape goat.
The article refers to some of your points but not the one raised in the OP, which is a lack of timber harvesting. That's not how forest management works.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:01 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,362 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRyan View Post
You forgot the 100 year old utilities that dont upgrade lines to make more profit for shareholders.
The utilities companies have been forced to build solar and wind power plants instead of up grading there systems.

Out where i live the DWP have been forced to build about 4 SQ miles of solar and wind turbines instead of fixing the LA aqueduct and LA water mains that leaks over 15 million gallons of water a day.
The Following User Says Thank You to augoldminer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 11:25 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 11,080 Times in 3,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
Yea we got to save that thick dead under growth for some endangered wood rat habitat. Then the fire comes threw and burn so hot that it sterilizes the ground and nothing grows for a few years. Bare ground isn't good habitat - period.

Gubernment!

Then the rain comes and generates mud slides. There are places when several houses have slide off the hill at the same lot. Great view until it slides. After the first one goes on a lot there shouldn't be insurance - you build there at your own risk.
Actually what happens is the State now requires the owners to rebuild with pilings driven in to provide a stable base. The insurance companies took it in the shorts on houses covered for replacement cost instead of a stated value. I believe they have stopped writing or seriously raised the rates on replacement cost policies.

Some of the rebuilds spent more for the pilings then the (not inexpensive) house itself.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:47 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,065 Posts

I work for a small tree service in northern california. At this time pg&e requires trees to be a distance of 12 feet from its transmission lines. It doesnt matter if the trees are 40 feet higher than the transmission lines and leaning towards the lines as long as they're 12 feet away. This is all courtesy of the environmentalists. The insurance companies on the other hand are requiring different standards if you want to keep your fire insurance. Trees or any part need to be 20 feet away from structures. 20 feet of separation between tree crowns. No undergrowth. The tree contractors for pg&e dont do much. Everybody else has been staying busy with removals. So pretty much pg&e customers have been paying to do pg&e maintenance and higher premiums.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:06 PM

Here's a helpful article explaining how environmental lawsuits eat up the funds needed to do preventative forest management: Here’s How Poor Land Management Is Leading to Bigger California Fires https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/10/...ifornia-fires/
It was managed better when the Native Americans had it!
The Following User Says Thank You to M A Tisue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 10:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,223 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob3rd View Post
I know this is thread about California but things other states do can be pertinent. I don't know positively about other large areas of Texas but in most parts of East Texas power and pipe line right of ways are kept mowed with brush hogs numerous times of the year. It isn't kept "yard height" but low enough to allow easy hunting. LOL They are usually heavily hunted where available and whatever company owning the right of way doesn't usually mind placement of a food plot along of the edge of the tree line adjoining the right of way. High grass and brush aren't allowed to accumulate in those areas by those companies.
Here in AL, they will easily let brush get up 6-8’ high before cutting. That’s not going to have any effect on “starting” a fire, and the tall grass is just an agrivation to the tractor plows used for wildfire control ( it’s harder to spot the line is all)

However, they do an excellent job of trimming trees in transmission line ROW, mostly because they purchased a really wide ROW.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:51 PM
1 John 2:6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Tepes View Post
Kommiefornia is Doomed!!!. Between the Fires,Floods and Earthquakes along with the Mudslides I don`t see how Any Insurance Company would want to sell Homeowners Ins. there so...How much are you paying for Homeowners Insurance there???.
Out here in the forest, we have no insurance at all...trust in our Creator and cutting firebreaks with the dozer!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Off-Grid For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 08:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
I recently read that the President is going to hold fire suppression funds from California until it does something about its forest situation. I did not research the posting. If true and it does happen it may be of great benefit to our state. Money talks. B.S. walks. Ever wonder what the California Public utilities commission is doing? I'm in favor of letting the fires burn out. I think we have rain predicted in two weeks.
The feds own about 57% of forest in California. Much of the rest is privately owned with California and local government owning about 3%.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Survivor

We now have rain and snow in California. I'm waiting for the mud slides. The result of the fires. Going to be a good year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post: