Old 10-24-2019, 08:05 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 23,995 Times in 7,237 Posts
Default eyeing-oilfields-us-aims-to-reinforce-position-in-syria

Advertise Here

Trump abandons the Kurds, then this. WTF

eyeing-oilfields-us-aims-to-reinforce-position-in-syria

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=spartandhp

us-sudden-syria-exit-leaves-angry-iraqi-kurds-looking-to-iran-oil-thicker-than-innocent-blood

Old 10-24-2019, 08:29 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 70,915 Times in 21,435 Posts

Yeah, when I was listening to Trump congratulate himself on his dazzling withdrawal from Syria, I almost fell out of my chair when he mentioned the oil.

The US is always getting accused of having these wars for oil, and always bending over backwards to dispel that thinking.

Then he just hits it square. We want the oil! Now maybe it is simply to keep ISIS from using the oil to fund a resurgence. But he should be more careful with such statements.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 08:32 PM

Maybe its his way of fighting climate change, maybe Greta's talk provoked him to reduce output.
The Following User Says Thank You to William Ashley For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2019, 11:14 PM
Harsh and unpleasant

Thanked 2,739 Times in 1,114 Posts

Do Hellfires take out oil wells?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 01:20 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 4,946 Times in 1,769 Posts

Is anyone shocked by the yo-yo game this administration plays? Simply put it is a monkey screwing a football.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 01:41 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 23,995 Times in 7,237 Posts

us-weighs-leaving-more-troops-sending-battle-tanks-to-syria

Old 10-25-2019, 11:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,755 Times in 1,736 Posts

They at least CLAIM that isis was selling that oil on the black market. So why not just say that's why we're keeping forces there and let the pressure off?
The Following User Says Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
us-weighs-leaving-more-troops-sending-battle-tanks-to-syria

To be fair, our military and most of congress wanted us to stay there and have a nice big war with Russia, Iran and Syria. So not surprising that parts of the government are "weighing" options to stay and get mixed up in a war.

But the optics on this dithering are quite dizzying.

We go right from pulling out 15 or so military men (not exactly a big military presence), saying we are grateful for Turkey's restraint, removing sanctions on them and grateful for Russia's military involvement,
then 5 minutes later announce we are looking at re-entering the theater with massive firepower.

Mind blowing vassilation.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2019, 01:44 AM
Harsh and unpleasant

Thanked 2,739 Times in 1,114 Posts

Umm......
We're not playing war, we're playing politics.

There's a difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2019, 11:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,343 Times in 2,888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumhug View Post
Is anyone shocked by the yo-yo game this administration plays? Simply put it is a monkey screwing a football.
No different than any other administration with abrupt changes in direction. The difference, however, is the microscopic scrutiny on every-single-detail of every-single-thing that detracts from something worthy of discussion such as this.

I am so tired of hearing biased, slanted, sensationalized "reporting" that is so often found to be fake and never again discussed and clarified... I don't even listen/watch the "news" anymore.

The only reason I am aware of this development is because of SB.
The Following User Says Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2019, 11:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,343 Times in 2,888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
To be fair, our military and most of congress wanted us to stay there and have a nice big war with Russia, Iran and Syria. So not surprising that parts of the government are "weighing" options to stay and get mixed up in a war.
The winner in this is China.
The Following User Says Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 12:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,008 Times in 3,892 Posts

If we stay or ramp up our presence we risk getting caught up a wider conflict. There is a lot at stake, both at home and abroad, so the waffling doesn't surprise. Myself, I think it is best to stay out of it entirely. I don't believe the US could provide a solution to the problems that have been plaguing that region for a thousand years...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 01:34 AM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 8,986 Times in 1,960 Posts

Reasons for involvement in the ME:
-resources
-fight enemies
-strategic military positioning

Making and backing up friends is not on the list if it isn't essential to another purpose. 2 way street. By and large they despise us and only play ball if it benefits them.

Without oil and gas the ME is like Africa, no one gives a crap. Far more widespread humanitarian crisis in Africa. Maybe even more bad guys too.

When and why we started pretending being in the ME wasn't about oil gas is a mystery to me. The world runs on oil and gas, of course it's huge focus. Recent Syria, Kurds, Turkey, Russia drama is all about oil and gas. Killing Isis is part of it too.

For Trump it's cost vs benefit. There's a lot of moving parts. The landscape has changed. He's making it up as he does along. They all are. For the most part he seems to be acting like it's not worth the cost anymore. I tend to agree. Russia has long been the one on the periphery stirring the pot while we try and hold it together. If they think they're going to profit from a more active role, I believe they are sorely mistaken.

When we leave bad things will happen. That's a material reality we've already witnessed. We could stay 100 years and still not "fix" it. I say let the chips fall, but I'm not opposed to limited and decisive actions in some circumstances. Hit it and quit it. If Isis gets control of oil fields they get money and new life. Guard it for a short time if we must. Otherwise destroy it.

US became a net exporter which puts us in a stronger position, but oil and gas is a global market and disruption to ME supply is a mixed bag. Global supply goes down, price goes up. Potentially on everything if it lasts long enough. The other side of that is more oil and gas jobs in the US which in turn has positive effects on other industries. To me, the lives of our military members have tremendous value too. I also think our heavy involvement over there has caused us to slack on other threats and issues of great importance.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,634 Times in 4,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
If we stay or ramp up our presence we risk getting caught up a wider conflict. There is a lot at stake, both at home and abroad, so the waffling doesn't surprise. Myself, I think it is best to stay out of it entirely. I don't believe the US could provide a solution to the problems that have been plaguing that region for a thousand years...
The situation is fluid to a point, when we do have a plan over there, the situation and players have switched gears and we are behind the 8-ball.

Yesterday's ally is today's enemy. This is their game and we are the JV squad trying to master it overnight and there is no rule book.

We all see those pictures of No Name and others posing with what is now ISIS forces, which is a snapshot in time. Years back, we thought they were the good guys, now we see them differently. I don't put it past ME natives to play both sides when it suits them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 10:16 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 4,946 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im RIght View Post
No different than any other administration with abrupt changes in direction. The difference, however, is the microscopic scrutiny on every-single-detail of every-single-thing that detracts from something worthy of discussion such as this.

I am so tired of hearing biased, slanted, sensationalized "reporting" that is so often found to be fake and never again discussed and clarified... I don't even listen/watch the "news" anymore.

The only reason I am aware of this development is because of SB.
So what you are saying is:
Unless you agree with it you dont' want to hear it.
Others have done this, so this makes it ok.

When you cause the majority of that scrutiny why are you shocked when it comes back at you?
Old 10-30-2019, 07:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,033 Times in 2,607 Posts

This is so disjointed. On the one hand the administration claims that ISIS is destroyed, and on the other we have to "secure" Syria's oil to keep it out of ISIS's hands.

This is a blatant act of war on our part. We have invaded another country and seized its resources. All without either the backing of a UN resolution or a congressional declaration of war.

The US has no moral ground to complain about the Russian annexation of Crimea or China's development of military installations on islands in the South China Sea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdog67 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 07:52 AM

Ever since 9-11, we have claimed the right to prosecute the war on Terra anywhere there might be some Terra.

But China is clearly about to embark on a campaign of conquering all of SE Asia.
Either stop them now by taking down their illegal island bases , or wait until they acquire several countries and become entrenched to where only an idiot would attack them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 12:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,033 Times in 2,607 Posts

Quote:
Either stop them now by taking down their illegal island bases , or wait until they acquire several countries and become entrenched to where only an idiot would attack them.
They are already at that point. We can't even effectively control a third world country like Afghanistan, we certainly can't take out China. Especially since there is a good chance that Russia might get involved on China's side as well.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,008 Times in 3,892 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, when I was listening to Trump congratulate himself on his dazzling withdrawal from Syria, I almost fell out of my chair when he mentioned the oil.

The US is always getting accused of having these wars for oil, and always bending over backwards to dispel that thinking.

Then he just hits it square. We want the oil! Now maybe it is simply to keep ISIS from using the oil to fund a resurgence. But he should be more careful with such statements.

Agree he could have been a bit more tactful, I think it's more denying the resource to enemies than wanting it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog67 View Post
They are already at that point. We can't even effectively control a third world country like Afghanistan, we certainly can't take out China. Especially since there is a good chance that Russia might get involved on China's side as well.
I didn't mean to take out all of China. Just knock them off those S China Sea reef/bases they built illegally. They have laid claim to a vast amount of resources, that rightfully belong to Vietnam, PI, etc. None of those countries can offer much resistance. The next step is China will enrich itself with the oil and gas resources there, and then conquer The PI, Malaysia, etc. Maybe even Australia.

It is a snowball rolling downhill. Catch it early, and no problem. It is too late now to catch it early. Bit maybe they can contain it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post: