Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Didja see the Dennys Grand Slam fight.? RECTIFIER Jokes, Humor & Music 20 04-20-2016 08:03 PM
urba survivalist=oxymoron? yuppie survivalist=just a moron? azsunset Urban Survival 87 11-03-2015 12:42 PM
DIdja try the redneck Playstation..? RECTIFIER Jokes, Humor & Music 13 09-24-2015 11:19 AM
Internet Survivalist Radio Show Coming July 4th 2009 All Survivalist Can Contribute Prepared2Surviv Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 07-21-2015 03:44 PM
Weak Survivalist, Strong Survivalist. Which are you? JOracle Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 82 08-27-2014 07:36 PM
Didja hear about that recent burglary in Florida.? RECTIFIER Jokes, Humor & Music 2 05-22-2011 09:53 PM
Didja Miss Me? cadethepagan General Discussion 17 10-25-2009 10:20 PM
Didja see the home invasion shootout.? RECTIFIER Controversial News and Alternative Politics 12 02-16-2009 01:31 AM

Old 10-14-2009, 06:11 PM

Advertise Here

I don't know that I would consider myself a survivalist...I am new to this...and I am concerned about the collapse of our economy and becoming prepared for whatever occurs...
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to conservative For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyhappy View Post
Back in 1992 (I think) they "predicted" an earthquake would hit the New Madrid Fault so everyone started to get prepared. I've pretty much kept up on it since then. Last summer we got hit with 2 of the worst storms ever in 3 days. Over 2 million customers lost power. I was one of the few ready for it. I do have to say I did add some things to my kits since then. I had just put a new emergency kit under my desk at work and it got action almost right away.
what was the action??
The Following User Says Thank You to policemedic115 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2009, 10:01 PM

What was the action??
The Following User Says Thank You to policemedic115 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2009, 08:55 AM

Been a survivalist since I was in the Marines. Decided to be prepared for anything, besides being armed with a M16 or shotgun I also had a few other protection items concealed on my person. When I was discharged I kept up that same mindset. I always carry two knives and have access to several other weapons in various location in my home and garage. My basic home defense weapon is a modified shotgun, my wife has also been trained to use it.
The Following User Says Thank You to IASurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2009, 09:37 PM

No clue. I've been one as long as I can remember, since age 6, at least.

I also figured that it was my birthright as an American to own a Thompson and a 1911 .45.
The Following User Says Thank You to One Bad Penguin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2009, 11:26 AM

Watching the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the inability for most of its victims to provide for themselves for even 72 hours, and their dependence upon the government opened my eyes. And when you ask yourself what would happen if the power grid went offline, the answers are not good.
The Following User Says Thank You to madkingchris For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2009, 01:56 PM

Default Thanks to SoCal earthquakes

I grew up in southern California. That means that earthquakes were no big thing. They were such a common occurrence that we didn't get very excited about them. After a big one, though, we'd see a lot of news footage about families that were displaced, difficulties getting food and water into survivors, etc. The news coverage and the constant barrage of "be prepared" messages from the Red Cross brought the idea of disaster preparedness to my mind.

Once I got out of my parents' house preparedness took on new meaning. Suddenly I was responsible for more than just my own safety. I got into stockpiling of supplies on a small scale, but always put off realistic long-term preparedness with "I can't afford to do it right now".

Fast forward a few years. The New Fire sweeps through the hills outside of San Bernardino. My mom lived in the San Bernardino house my brother and I grew up in. My brother Pat lived about 5 miles to the east, and I was another couple miles east. At the height of the fire the fire department ordered the evacuation of mom's neighborhood. We moved her and her dog and some supplies to Pat's place, and that night we watched the flames close to within a couple miles of Pat's place. We didn't end up having to evacuate them from there, but it came close. The next morning I did a quick survey of mom's neighborhood. Her house was still there; the flames didn't get any closer than about a block away. My ex-mother-in-law's place, though, was gone. I was one who had to deliver the news to her about that.

Seeing the devastation that can come so quickly really struck home to me how important it is to be prepared. Watching the news after Katrina clearly showed how foolish it is to expect the government to provide for us. And watching how Blackwater disarmed folks in New Orleans and how law enforcement was overwhelmed in the LA riots of the 70's showed me that we can't always count on law enforcement to protect either. NOTE: I am NOT down on LEOs; far from it. I respect them and am very grateful for the services they provide. But when there are a few dozen of them against mobs of hundreds of crazies, I'm not going to count on them being able to stop the mobs.

During the dot-bomb crash I found myself unemployed. I've got a degree in electrical engineering, and have worked in the computer industry since the late 70's. Even so, there was no work to be found. I had to do something, so I got my class A drivers license and went to work as a truck driver. I ran general freight all over the US, and I learned a lot. Grocery stores, the wonderful places that everyone counts on for a steady food supply, have only a very few days of food in stock. If something should happen to the infrastructure that stopped the trucks from rolling, everybody in the metro areas would run out of everything. Cities would become zoos, then death traps.

No, in an emergency the only people I can count on are myself, my family, and maybe some reliable friends who also believe in mutual assistance. To believe otherwise is to actively seek Darwin's embrace.
The Following User Says Thank You to SurviveIowa For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Target Shooter

As humans we are all Survivalists. Some of us though are much more aware of our surroundings and what "potentially" can happen. When I lived in Monterey Ca. I was in the Santa Cruz Earth Quake. The Bay area was hit especially hard. When I lived in Santa Barbara I experienced the L.A. Earth Quake. Not to mention a bunch of smaller ones. I lived in L.A when the Rodney Riots erupted and let me tell you that was a hard few weeks. Each time though we survived. We had plenty of food and water. Defensive weapons only came into play during the riots and I know they saved the lives of my family and myself. I can see the same thing might happen after a major earth movement where the road systems fail and no food can be trucked in for weeks or even months. I now live in one of the most remote towns in the continental U.S. so I dont fear roving gangs trying to loot our supplies and rape our loved ones like they tried in L.A.. We also have a minimum of a year supply of food now stored in our home. Its not enough but at least its more than 99% of the population. I dont consider my self a Survivalist like portrayed in the media but I do consider myself well educated to make the right decisions in a major disaster. So if that makes me a "survivalist" then ok. I once setup a disaster plan for my entire family. It was very detailed as they should be. I couldnt believe how my liberal sister was making fun of it. Then the Santa Cruz earth quake struck. Guess who brought her friends to my house for food since the stores closed down. They didnt even have 2 days of canned goods in there kitchen! The joking quickly ended and she now has her very own 72 hr kit! I dont think she has ever progressed from there but at least she has that. OK enough rambling. Glad to meet you all.
The Following User Says Thank You to WARWAG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Hiker

Thanked 2,427 Times in 459 Posts

Well, I live in California. Anyone who's not got emergency supplies here is crazy or foolish.

Was only a child during the Loma Prieta quake in the bay area, and it left a big impression on me. We didn't get our power back for a week, even though we lived in a central location in San Jose (not off in the Santa Cruz mountains somewhere)

Now I live in the central valley where it seems like it's always either drought or flooding -- sometimes we manage to have localized flooding during a drought.

Combine this with peak oil, Iran, North Korea, various terrorists, and an 18% unemployment rate in my county and you've got my full and undivided attention!
The Following User Says Thank You to SAHMofTwins For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Target Shooter

LOL. Yup thats why I left Commifornia and headed for Nevada.
The Following User Says Thank You to WARWAG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 05:43 PM

Default catrina

I have always felt that way. but after catrina we loaded 2 truck loads of supplys and headed to la a freind of mine had family their in a bad way. so we started out with a pickup load and before we where done we had 2 semie loads i drove one he the other. all the supplys got turned around and headed back to dallas to put in storage( are goverment at work). we where not part of anything other than a small community in wyoming and 2 truck drivers so we headed right in the worst of it found his family set them up and then opend the doors to all. they came from every where not bums people like you and i trying to servive. if you had a million in cash it would have been worthless it meant nothing. we had no trouble but the looting and lack of law and order was eye opening. I wasent their for the storm but what we saw was unreal and the smell wow!! I have never been at war so i cant copare it to that but that is what it felt like I sat on the grass and wached people coming to get old clothes food water and swore that would not happen to my family.

Last edited by wyorover; 10-20-2009 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to wyorover For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Backwoods Stalker

Default I remember Hugo Badkarma...

Badkarma....

I remember when all that happened. I was in a home west of the Ashley river, and the next day we went up town, and all of a sudden there were cop cars, blue lights flashing...I wondered, "what have we done"...I soon discovered...nothing; the Mayor was behind us!! In north Charleston a couple of folks tried to rob us I think. They had bats and a hammer, but were detered before reaching the truck by the sight of the three handguns, and pump shotgun comming out of the windows!!

Last edited by Solitary Old Bill; 10-21-2009 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: my mistakes
The Following User Says Thank You to Solitary Old Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2009, 12:58 AM

My folks reared us that way. Got a .22 at 6 and started hunting. Mom canned
pop gardened, had chickens. We lived on the Gulf Coast and hurricanes were a fact of life.
The Following User Says Thank You to bjba For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2009, 07:24 PM

Me and a few of my buddy's have always been a bit... enthusiastic... about survival concepts. We love apocalypse/disaster movies, picking them apart, and going over detailed plans about what WE would have done. As kids we were enthusiasts, now we want to actually be able to put those plans into action if necessary.

Survivalism is one of those things that is productive, and I have to admit, fun. Fun is something a person can't forget. Especially when the crap hits the fan, you gotta enjoy the little things!

-PileDriver
The Following User Says Thank You to PileDriver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Live Clean, Fight dirty

Thanked 1,078 Times in 620 Posts
Default Being a survivalist

I have always had an envy of some one who can live off the land, I have always had a yearning to learn more, and how and why. I have also been studying Krav Maga for about two years now, for any one who knows it all about survival. I look forward too learning from this web site, so far I have been enjoying my self.
The Following User Says Thank You to trophytr669 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2009, 09:37 PM

Default Hello

Hello,
My husband and I just joined and look forward to getting to know everyone. We are very serious about preparing and we know what lies ahead of us all. We hope to connect with other people who will be serious about survival, getting together to help each other to prepare. Feel free to give me a shout also.
Pamala
The Following User Says Thank You to levisandlace For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2009, 12:03 PM

When I finished the book: Emergency This Book Will Save Your Life by Neil Strauss =)
The Following User Says Thank You to superjus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2009, 02:40 PM

surfin the web looking for ways to survive out in the wild,thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to Chief Dave For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2009, 03:41 PM
I adapt... I survive

Being born in a city into a family of nerds/musicians/artists I always felt I was born in the wrong family. They only thought (and still think) of shows, arts, getting "stuff" just to make sure they looked better than the Joneses... if you throw them out in the woods they'll plainly die. I was always drawn to books, magazines, encyclopedias that taught me how to be self-sufficient and make up my own stuff to survive. I still felt like a fish out of the water... with a mother that wanted me to just look pretty to marry a good man and become his "trophy wife" and a father that wanted me to follow in his steps and become a famous person or something. I hated every minute of it and when my begging to go on camping trips or hiking were ignored as I was growing up... I just gave up asking and kept it as my secret to continue reading and learning about it.
I finally married the opposite person of what my family wanted (they were not happy with me), he was the typical man from a very disfunctional family (very different to mine-supposedly) who knew a thing or two about camping and sorta surviving with less stuff. It was ok, he traveled a lot and I was alone most of the time, so I had to learn to do stuff that women and men in my family didnt know how to do like using power tools, and doing stuff around the house that were supposed to be "men duties", gardening, etc. Even in the midst of living with very low income, I refused to become a statistic and depend on the government to "help me"... I learned to always buy a little more and stash it away... just in case... I was prepared most of the time when things were not good and we could not buy much of anything on a bad month. Ex always thought I was crazy and it was a waste of $ to buy so much but he understood later when we had to live on that "extra stuff" I had stashed away for "bad times".
I know I still have a LONNNGGGG way to go... I still have no support from my family or friends about being a survivalist but again I just keep it to myself... although I confess every once in a while I drop a hint here and there about this society going to hell and everyone fending for themselves... Of course, I still get the "weird" looks as if I am a paranoid alien from another planet... the roll of the eyes, the jokes, etc. but you know what...I don't care, I just keep working on this slowly but surely, we'll see where they will be going for help when the SHTF.
I will confess I still have my fear of snakes and frogs, I still can't kill an animal to eat, I am an animal lover and a vegetarian ("bad hunter" as someone said to me here the other day...LOLOL) I still need to lose my fear of guns for I know these are one of the most important things to know and master when the SHTF but I know I'll get there. It feels lonely to be the only one around here that does this and thinks this way so I am very very thankful I found this forum and I am with likeminded people... I have learned so much and most important I am and keep encouraged to go on.
So, I guess I have had it in me since I was very young... so there it is. Sorry... I talk (write) too much. I will shut up now. :-)
Thank you Kev and all of you for this wonderful place to be.
Kem

Last edited by kemaeli; 10-25-2009 at 03:49 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to kemaeli For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2009, 06:34 AM

I have been interested in the outdoors for years with no time and now I am going to make some. I came across the site while looking for info to build a bushcraft knife.
The Following User Says Thank You to redwoodgrown For This Useful Post: