Survivalist Forum banner
4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  PrepperGirl 
#1 ·
I've heard a lot about seed storage, but on corn seeds I have there's an exp. date of 2 yrs. after I bought them. How should I store seeds long-term?

#2 ·
I believe 5% attrition per year of seed storage is about normal. Add that to the fact that about 15% fail right out of the gate for me. So after storing my seeds for one year, about 20% wont grow for me. Even most seed packets will suggest you plant several seeds per hole to ensure results, then thin them later. You can only store a living seed for so long before it will no longer germinate. No one can give you a set time frame, just estimates. The best you can do is store them in a cool dry place and rotate often by growing them.

#4 ·
Will is spot on. Further, different seeds last for differing lengths of time. I can't find the list I just saw a couple of days ago, so I don't want to try to be specific. From what I've read, freezing doesn't add that much life to them and it can cause moisture to accumulate in the package. Bad for the seeds! A cool, dry place is best. I store mine in envelopes in my basement. They are three years old and still about 80% germination for cabbage, corn, carrots and chard. My other seeds are only 2 years old.

#9 ·
I just today took delivery of Emergency Essentials' Heirloom Seed Combo Pack.

The label says "Designed to store for 4+ years. Sealed in a triple-layered zipper top bag. Store in a cool dry environment. Moisture content carefully banalced for long term storage. Each 6* drop in storage temperature may double the life of most seeds. Storage in a refrigerator or freezer is recommended."

Now, perhaps they've balanced the moisture such that it will be more effective in a freezer, and other attempts at freezing won't work as well. I don't know.

This is the second batch of heirloom seeds I have, one from EE, one from another source. I'll add at least one more batch of seeds from a third source, as I don't like to be dependent upon just one source, should there have been an error in packing or some such.

In other words, I don't like all my seeds in one basket. :)

#7 ·
I'm not sure. I don't know if there is an effective temperature range for silica gel. There's a guy on Youtube that did a good video on seed storage. I'll try to find it and post for you. He did use a freezer, but he stored his seeds in cloth bags, I think.

Edit: I am having no luck finding the video. I'll keep looking tomorrow.

#10 ·
Store your seeds in the freezer and they will last for years,,, if not decades. Do a search for doomsday vault. The scientist say that some types of seeds will stay good for 100 years if kept frozen.

Personally, I keep my seeds in a plastic tub in the freezer.

#12 ·
I did some further reading and found that storing in the freezer does work. Three to four years is about the max you'd get out of a packet of seeds. They must be dried to 8% moisture or less, and they said it was best to seal them in glass jars with a rubber gasket between the jar and lid for a better seal. Vigor degrades slightly ahead of germination rate. So seeds that germinate may have low vigor and not reach maturity. The book Seed to Seed by Suzanne Ashworth has a lot of great info packed into it.

I am so sorry I pass less than good information to you. I was under the impression that freezing was always bad. But if done correctly it will extend the life of the seed by a few years. Please forgive my ignorance.

#15 ·
I know to keep seeds in an air tight water tight container but what can I put in with them to protect from moisture? The silica packets that I hoard at every chance? Or maybe good old NaCl?
I picked up these two things and plan on putting them in an air tight container along with my seeds (and then putting them in the deep freezer) ... not sure which is the better product though:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O62T4O
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025OJ6AY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.