Video: Wild Persimmons at the Bug Out Location - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dynamo Flashlights for the Bug Out Location AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 06-19-2018 05:00 PM
Now That I Live at my Bug Out Location Hick Industries Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 40 11-09-2017 02:51 PM
Insuring Bug Out Location nimrodski Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 03-06-2017 06:09 PM
Developing Wildlife Habitat At Bug Out Location kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 01-18-2017 10:19 PM
Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) at Bug Out Location 40cal Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 31 10-23-2016 01:03 AM

Old 07-05-2018, 07:06 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,281 Times in 7,847 Posts
Default Video: Wild Persimmons at the Bug Out Location

Advertise Here

The cabin at the back of the property has a nice sized wild persimmon near it. 2018 the tree is loaded with persimmons.

What a lot of people do not know, the Wild Persimmon grows well in sandy soil, tolerates drought well, and reproduces like crazy. All of the property are small Wild Persimmon trees. In one small area I counted five. Then just a few feet away I spotted a few more. There is one Wild Persimmon tree that is around 12 feet tall that I need to clear around the base of.

Maybe 14 mile from the farm is a large and old Wild Persimmon tree. That one would put the one in the video to shame.

Currently I am caring for several Wild Persimmon trees here on the farm. There use to be several mature trees, but they were overtaken by other trees and they died.

The fruit will typically ripen in the late fall. Some people say to wait until after the first frost to eat them.

P.S. Was trying out a new camera in this video, and it kept trying to focus. Sorry about that.

Last edited by kev; 07-10-2018 at 07:54 PM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 07:33 PM
Target Shooter

Can't see the video. But I love persimmon. We've got two trees that produce pretty good, but they're still young trees.
The Following User Says Thank You to Naya For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 08:07 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,281 Times in 7,847 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naya View Post
Can't see the video. But I love persimmon. We've got two trees that produce pretty good, but they're still young trees.
Why cant you see the video? What error message?

Are you running ad block by chance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2018, 08:25 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,438 Times in 546 Posts

No adblock here. "Warning
The request contains an invalid URL!" Viglink says the link is invalid: https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...%20-%20YouTube

Edit: I believe it's trying to connect to YT with an http link instead of https.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:49 AM
Trapper

Nice vid, like the dog. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udsG7q8_Fvs
Old 07-06-2018, 10:36 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,294 Times in 8,915 Posts

The coding in the v link conversion is wrong it is missing the "s:"
Old 07-06-2018, 05:50 PM
gard'ner

At my house in the sand, persimmons are very sweet... It's Vidalia country here, everything grown in the sugar sand is extra sweet... IF you can beat the raccoons to the fruit...

Any issues with raccoons/possums getting to the persimmons before you get any at the Bol?
Kinda makes the whole pick before/after frost a non-issue...
Old 07-06-2018, 06:21 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 9,001 Times in 2,679 Posts

They don't grow here. Wouldn't even know what to do with one... or ten.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:32 PM
Target Shooter

Baby Blue. You just pick, wash, and eat them like an apple. Persimmons are soooo good. Don't know about wild ones, but ours are awesome. I usually cut it in wedges and then eat for snack.
The Following User Says Thank You to Naya For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 10:14 AM
Trapper

Persimmon: "Parthenocarpic and polygamodioecious (bisexual) individuals also exist which pose the potential for self fruitfulness. Polygamodioecious individuals like ‘Szukis’ produce female flowers on male plants; ‘Szukis’ will bear fruit in isolation or can be used as a pollenizer for female varieties. ‘Meader’ is a parthenocarpic female that produces seedless fruit without pollenization; if pollenized ‘Meader’ will bear fruit with seeds." https://thefruitnut.com/american-persimmon/

Sexing persimmons is a dilemma. As the link above explains they can be monoecious, dioecious, polygamodiecious - have seeds, have no seeds and a guy who lives about 20 miles from me has some native persimmons in which 80% of the fruit is seedless and 20% has one seed. On top of that some have 90 chromosomes while others have 60. Add to that there is evidence that branches on the same tree can have male flowers one year and female the next, or visa versa.
Oriental persimmons such as the ones of which I believe @Naya is talking, have centuries of development and are much more reliable in their fruiting habits.

@BabyBlue While probably not native to your area, once established some varieties of persimmon are very drought resistant and cold hardy. Some Russian varieties are a cross of our native "Diospyros virginiana" and the Asian "Diospyros kaki" and are cold hardy while the native 'Meader' persimmon is documented to have survived -30 degrees Farenheit.

I have several mature native persimmons that yield heavily virtually every year. The pictures are of a volunteer grove of young trees, Greene Deane calls it a persimmon 'hurst', two of which are bearing fruit for the first time at five years of age. This group has 12 five year olds and 2 three year old trees. They are much too close of course, but I hope eventually to get three well formed females far enough apart to keep.
Internet 'knowledge' suggests that for some unknown reason only 20% to 30% of persimmons grown from seed bear fruit. I will wait another year or two to begin thinning the 'hurst' since reliable sources say that native persimmons can begin bearing fruit anywhere from 4 - 9 years of age.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Persimmon_Hurst_2018-001.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	275456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Persimmon_Hurst_2018-002.jpg
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	275458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Persimmon_Hurst_2018-003.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	275460  
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Trapper

I found two more of my five year old persimmons fruiting today - that makes 4 out of twelve so far.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:03 AM
Hiker

Had a persimmon tree at our old house. Our Doberman would eat every one that fell before I could harvest any. She would also eat the tomatoes off the vine.