My first aid kits - thoughts? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PH kits Bonsai667 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 3 01-02-2014 10:06 PM
A few thoughts about Survival and anyone else can add their thoughts also Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 79 05-19-2013 04:24 PM
First/Second/Third Aid kits Clark Kent Health, Fitness and First Aid 10 09-05-2011 02:37 AM
updated thoughts: Migration of the masses: Realistic thoughts of PSHTF ??? Castlemom Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 69 05-24-2011 05:44 PM
FFL and AR kits davmatt74 Military Weapons Forum 6 05-07-2010 07:37 PM
Would these kits do the job for now? America Urban Survival 1 12-31-2008 08:56 AM
car kits coldworld Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 11-02-2008 06:55 PM
car kits coldworld Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 11-02-2008 05:30 PM
Car Kits SHoNUFF Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 06-07-2008 05:55 PM

Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 AM

Default My first aid kits - thoughts?

Advertise Here

I originally had this in the first aid section but didn't really get any feedback so I'm moving it here to see if that helps!

I've made two first aid kits which are identical, one is in my car and one is in my house. Here's what I have in them:

2 Instant cold packs
100 alcohol prep wipes
10 packets burn free gel
10 soothe sting wipes
1 tube neosporin
1 tube hydrocortisone cream
6 caplets anti-diarrhea meds
36 Benadryl caplets
20 (500 mg) acetaminophen caplets
50 Ibuprofen caplets
Soap
1 (4.5in x 4.1yds) roll gauze
1 roll waterproof tape
Scissors
40 cotton balls
20 standard size band-aids
20 butterfly closures
1 ace bandage
10 Q-tips
1 travel size Vaseline
50 waterproof matches
Small flashlight

So help me out and let me know what you think please! Tell me if this is good for now and what would improve it. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jtarpley131 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 10:32 AM

It's a good list! A few changes i'd make though.

You didn't mention exam gloves in your kit. This is the first thing that should go into ANY medical kit. Whether you know your patient or not, assume they've got something contagious that you don't want any bit of.

Lose the butterflies entirely, go with steri strips. Butterflies are better than nothing, but only just barely. Steri strips are fantastic and priced comparably. They take a little more practice to apply antiseptically, but it's really not that difficult.

Triple your anti-diarrhea med count. People really tend to underestimate exactly how quickly diarrhea can kill you if you can't keep hydrated.

Double up on the gauze. Even for just a pick up and go first aid kit. i'd also put in some ab pads, gauze by itself just doesn't really stop bleeding all THAT well, especially if you have to actually apply pressure to a wound for a prolonged period of time.

If you've got room in your bag, look at a CPR face shield too. They're generally small and compact, and i've never seen even the really nice ones (that you kind of hate to throw away) go for more than $10.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ~*Firefly*~ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,965 Times in 3,817 Posts

Gloves.

Gauze pads.

Bandages.

Some sort of tweezers.

An emergency (like a space) blanket.

Just off the top of my head.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:34 AM

sounds pretty good, i would add tweezers and needles
Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Remember Brendan Tevlin

Thanked 6,032 Times in 1,470 Posts

Quik Clot pad
boil squares of sheets and keep then in sandwich bags
Snake bite kit
Epipen for bee llergies (takes a prescription)
Out of date surplus suture kit (practice on pig foot)
Stethoscope
Ear drops
Saline spray to wash out wounds
Eye wash kit!
Non stick pads different sizes
Roll of tape that sticks to itself , looks like Ace bandage
Tick removal implement
Eye ointment
Nasal spray
Sheets
Thermal blanket
Bactine
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter Simcox For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Grevcon 10ⓖ & MGM20ⓜ

Thanked 9,725 Times in 3,877 Posts

For the home FAK why are you buying things like Alcohol Prep Pads ? Why not just but a bottle of Alcohol and a bag of cotton balls ?

Where is your antibiotics ?

Only 20 band-aids ?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Always Preparing

More band-aids... and then more band-aids..

Abd pads or what we in EMS call 5x9's. To make it cheaper on yourself just go and buy the "feminine" pads. Same thing and smaller but does the same job. But there are different sizes for them too. I too need to get more of these for my kits as my 5x9's are gonna be depleted soon.

If you have room just get a bottle of alcohol. throw in some Hydrogen Peroxide too if you have the room.

That's off of the top of my head....

Dean
Old 07-16-2012, 01:05 PM

I might should have added that these are not all the emergency medical items in my house, these are just in my pick up and go first aid kits. I do have an emergency blanket and tweezers in them too but I forgot to list them! Thanks for calling me out on the gloves I don't know why I didn't throw those in! I've heard mixed reviews on Quikclot and I'm confused as to whether that is the best thing to get.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felicia View Post
For the home FAK why are you buying things like Alcohol Prep Pads ? Why not just but a bottle of Alcohol and a bag of cotton balls ?

Where is your antibiotics ?

Only 20 band-aids ?
You may want to start stockpiling Antibiotics from your doctor. I would want at least one series for each member of my family.

Remember to also stock up on any medications you or a family member may need. I would want at least a month's worth if the medication were important from a survival perspective.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtarpley131 View Post
I might should have added that these are not all the emergency medical items in my house, these are just in my pick up and go first aid kits. I do have an emergency blanket and tweezers in them too but I forgot to list them! Thanks for calling me out on the gloves I don't know why I didn't throw those in! I've heard mixed reviews on Quikclot and I'm confused as to whether that is the best thing to get.
It's not. Celox is MUCH better. Celox basically creates a gel "scab" that can be removed in one piece under controlled circumstances rather than letting your patient bleed out in the field. Quikclot produces an exothermal reaction that damages the surrounding tissue, and if you use the granules, it's a HUGE mess to try to clean out of a wound.
The Following User Says Thank You to ~*Firefly*~ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Peas and Carrots!

Thanked 132,076 Times in 31,034 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

*You need something to flush out a wound. I keep saline solution, or salt pre-measured in a container and bottled water, and a bottle you can use as a squeeze bottle. The drink bottles with the pop-up lids make good squeeze bottles after you wash them, bleach them, let them dry well, and store them in a zipper bag so the top doesn't get dirty.
*More gauze pads, and some thick pads - I use feminine pads (make sure they aren't scented) for those, .
*Also the "stick-to-themselves" sports wraps - they're good for helping hold bandages on, brace sprains, remind people to leave a wound alone, etc. They can be a little pricey and come in any color tan or white you want. BUT, in the equine section of any feed and seed store they have them in all kinds of colors, in a good all around size roll for less than half the drugstore versions. The promise of a brightly colored bandage can also turn a whiny child patient into a more cooperative frame of mind sometimes, always a plus in my book. I've noticed people look at me funny when I tell their child to just suck it up and quit whining, don't know why, it worked with mine.
*I keep a tube of benedryl cream in my kit also. It works great for stings, bites, rashes, that you need to stop itching or stop a skin reaction to.

There are all kinds of things you can put in a kit but I try not to put anything I haven't studied or practiced on how or when to use it. A small emergency medical book might be a good idea also, because if you are faced with an emergency after 34 hours of no sleep you might have trouble remembering things. It's also helpful if you are the one with the emergency and someone is trying to walk through helping you.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Remember Brendan Tevlin

Thanked 6,032 Times in 1,470 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on Quik clot. I did ask an eMS guy but you sound like the voice of experience. Is celox available OTC? I found out that the best burn remedy is called Silvatene but it is prescription only. For antibiotics I am studying veterinary products. It's extrapolating the dosage that's hard. Translate 25 drops in a fish tank to people. Am thinking of getting dental pliers. You can learn to pull a tooth without breaking it -- druggists used to do it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter Simcox For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Peas and Carrots!

Thanked 132,076 Times in 31,034 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Simcox View Post
Thanks for the heads up on Quik clot. I did ask an eMS guy but you sound like the voice of experience. Is celox available OTC? I found out that the best burn remedy is called Silvatene but it is prescription only. For antibiotics I am studying veterinary products. It's extrapolating the dosage that's hard. Translate 25 drops in a fish tank to people. Am thinking of getting dental pliers. You can learn to pull a tooth without breaking it -- druggists used to do it.
If you have a large fish or bird that might need antibiotics, I get them for my pets at http://www.calvetsupply.com/category/Antibiotics You can get them there in capsule and tablet form there in case your bird or fish is large like mine and can take pills. The drops are difficult to work with sometimes. I don't have any "interest" in the company other than I was really pleased with the selection, product quality, price and delivery. Another prepper had mentioned them. I purchased a selection of different antibiotics and went with 2 smaller bottles over one larger one so I wouldn't be opening and starting the time countdown on a large quantity of any one antibiotic. As my bird gets into different things, I would need to be able to use different things with him. My fish is more careful.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Simcox View Post
i was an ER nurse for about 4 years and a paramedic for about 5. i couldn't get away with it in the ER but pre-hospital care where i worked (middle of about five different nowheres) was a little more...accommodating. So i've used both.

You can order both products from Amazon. Celox comes in a few different flavors, but you really can't go wrong with the gauze. It doesn't act or feel like normal gauze, it's a lot more...papery, i guess. But it's applied basically the same way. Crumple it up, cover the wound with it, put a square over that, and apply pressure until it stops bleeding.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~*Firefly*~ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Prepared

4 Asprin - in case someone is having a heart attack.
Some tums - for upset stomach, heartburn
Pepto Bismol chewables - for upset stomach (Pepto has been a life saver for me)
Old 07-16-2012, 10:36 PM
a thorn in your side

Thanked 1,688 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
I originally had this in the first aid section but didn't really get any feedback so I'm moving it here to see if that helps!

I've made two first aid kits which are identical, one is in my car and one is in my house. Here's what I have in them:

2 Instant cold packs
100 alcohol prep wipes
10 packets burn free gel
10 soothe sting wipes
1 tube neosporin
36 Benadryl caplets
50 Ibuprofen caplets
Soap
1 roll waterproof tape
Scissors
40 cotton balls
20 butterfly closures
1 ace bandage
10 Q-tips
1 travel size Vaseline
50 waterproof matches
Small flashlight

So help me out and let me know what you think please! Tell me if this is good for now and what would improve it. Thanks!
Congrats on the supplies.
As an EMT I can tell you that roller Gauze are a staple item. You can use them like a Israeli Dressing if you push the center out of it and pack the wound from the center of the roller gauze and then wrap it around the extremity. You can of course use it to splint an are, you can use them to bandage a head. You can even use them to fabricate a sling for a broken are, or as a tourniquet if you wrap it 2 inches above the damaged or missing extremity, and get it tight and use a pencil (or even a stick) to add tension, and then secure it so it doesn't come free. ETC (IE buy plenty of Roller Gauze).

You might also want to consider getting a pair of EMT sheers, even if you never have to cut through clothes, you can use them for other purposes (you probably don't want to cut through a penny, but I have seen others use them for even that). Also depending on your skill level I might suggest a few decompression needles, and a suture kit (you can buy lidocaine on ebay in powder form).

Sam splints are light weight and don't cost much, they are great for securing damaged extremities.

I keep a Stethoscope in my kit. If someone has a flail chest, or fluid in the lungs, etc, you can tell pretty easy using a stethoscope.

I don't know if you have any experience or training in the medical field, but if not I would recommend taking a class. They normally aren't very expensive. Even a wilderness first aid course would be a good idea (sometimes for as little as $60).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to controversial For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 PM

I would consider making two unique kits, after all With the "at home" kit, you don't have to worry about spills, etc. stock up on rubbing alcohol, peroxide, etc, in decent sized bottles rather than alcohol prep pads.

I would love to hear how people carry those liquids in their travel kits....small glass or plastic bottles? Spill proof? Tips....thanks.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmSundown View Post
I would consider making two unique kits, after all With the "at home" kit, you don't have to worry about spills, etc. stock up on rubbing alcohol, peroxide, etc, in decent sized bottles rather than alcohol prep pads.

I would love to hear how people carry those liquids in their travel kits....small glass or plastic bottles? Spill proof? Tips....thanks.
Not glass for sure. But i just fill up those travel sized toiletry bottles from Target.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:08 AM
I didn't do it

How about super glue or liquid Bandaids (same thing)? Superglue has saved me from going to the doctors for stitches a few times...I also have an albuterol inhaler (for asthma attatcks) I dont have asthma but a friend does. I have an epipen as well...also feminine pads, or tampons as others have said, designed to absorb a lot of blood. Quick clot changed their forumla, the old formula did cause exothermic burns, but the new formula is supposed to be safe...check it out on youtube. Above all, you need to be able to use all of the things in a first aid kit properly, if you havnt had any training in first aid then a class would be a good idea...at least get a first aid manual to add to your kit...incase you might have to deal with some more serious injuries.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:

2 Instant cold packs
100 alcohol prep wipes
10 packets burn free gel
10 soothe sting wipes
1 tube neosporin
36 Benadryl caplets
50 Ibuprofen caplets
Soap
1 roll waterproof tape
Scissors
40 cotton balls
20 butterfly closures
1 ace bandage
10 Q-tips
1 travel size Vaseline
50 waterproof matches
Small flashlight

Think I might through in a tube of super glue to close up cuts. Used this myself and it works well