Medical Kit - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chinook Medical Gear Announces New Emergency Preparedness Medical Kit ChinookMed For Sale 1 06-24-2014 02:22 PM
Medical set-up RovingElCamino Health, Fitness and First Aid 6 10-26-2013 02:13 PM
What is in your medical bag? Autumnprepper Urban Survival 26 03-27-2013 07:23 PM
Medical Kit? Survival_TillTheEnd Health, Fitness and First Aid 5 01-14-2013 07:23 AM
Medical thread. Go to Medical School and be an MD. peak_oil Health, Fitness and First Aid 3 10-08-2012 02:42 PM
Medical Corps/PRN MED medical training in hostile environments Preacherboy Reviews and questions 1 09-16-2012 06:59 PM
Medical BOL & BOB Sticks440 Health, Fitness and First Aid 10 12-12-2011 02:42 PM
What do you have in your medical bag? skyelynnphoto Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 07-22-2011 03:34 AM
Medical kit LoneWolf83 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 35 03-23-2010 11:16 PM

Old 01-28-2012, 11:30 AM
John 15:13

Advertise Here

read cody ludin's "98.6 keeping your ass alive" its a good start not nessicarly telling you what you need to have but to knid of getting the gears ticking in yourhead as a guidline on what you need. never go over your medical traing if your just a guy with basic knowledge of bandaids and small patch work dont carry a surgigical kit. ive seen so many dumba** carrying field hospitals and they cant even name half the equipment in the pack but itt looks cool. and someone in need of medical attetion will come running to you because you look like a doctor with all the medical stuff. and also kits think about it if someone has a reason to make money by selling these first aid kits the crap is proably gona be el cheapo that wont work or hold up. now there a good start but i wont rely on one. go to a drug store such as walgreens or cvs. and grab things you know how to use. keep it simple and dont over think it. if you want a good list for basic guys such as myself PM me and ill send you pics and a list of what i carry that covers everything i can handle.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BugOutBoy91 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2012, 12:05 PM
I survive on Hate.

What exactly is this kit for? My suggestion, carry two separate kits. One bag with general purpose items, meds, gauze, band-aids, ointments, irrigation soloution, etc. Then another small pouch for your belt/vest, have some gauze pads, NPA, Decomp Needle, Combat Gauze, Bolin Chest seal or petroleum gauze, duct tape, tourniquet. And go get some training, most cities have Red Cross first aid classes, ranging from general first aid/CPR to first responder courses.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical_Vegan View Post
I have tried finding a thread with specific information about medical supplies, but to no avail. The medical kit portion of my BOB is severely lacking. Can anyone recommend a bulk kit, like

Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits Outfitter Kit: Health & Personal Care

plus whatever else I should buy separately that is not included? My primary concerns would be managing severe wounds (cuts or bullet), burns, frost bite, and then your regular wounds. If someone has a very wide-use kit I would greatly appreciate it, but like I said, it would be nice if the majority of the kit can be bought together. I will also have dogs with me and would appreciate any recommendations for that as well. Is there anything that you can easily feed a dog that will induce vomiting (if they eat poison)?

THANKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The best kind of any kit, is the one you put togather yourself. Anything they sell you is made for that purpose, to sell it to you. You generally have no idea of the quality of the items included, and if they will meet your specific needs.

As far as a first aid kit goes, it needs to be tailored to your particular situation and the needs of your group. Another concern is the level of training you have. It does you no good to have medications and medical supplies in your kit that you nor anyone else in your group knows how to or is qualified to use.

If you don't have the training already, get with your local LEPC or the Red Cross. They offer some great First Responder / First Aid classes. Attending these classes will also give you a good idea of what you will want to include in your own kit. Another advantage is that you may get to meet a Nurse or an EMT or Paramedic that is teaching the class that may want to become part of your group. And that is something that is worth alot and that you can't buy.
He's correct, where exactly are you planning on using this.

That might help you decide what kinds of stuff you need to be prepped and ready with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Survial Tommy For This Useful Post:

Old 01-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,190 Posts

read cody ludin's "98.6 keeping your ass alive" its a good start not nessicarly telling you what you need to have but to knid of getting the gears ticking in yourhead as a guidline on what you need. never go over your medical traing if your just a guy with basic knowledge of bandaids and small patch work dont carry a surgigical kit. ive seen so many dumba** carrying field hospitals and they cant even name half the equipment in the pack but itt looks cool. and someone in need of medical attetion will come running to you because you look like a doctor with all the medical stuff. and also kits think about it if someone has a reason to make money by selling these first aid kits the crap is proably gona be el cheapo that wont work or hold up. now there a good start but i wont rely on one. go to a drug store such as walgreens or cvs. and grab things you know how to use. keep it simple and dont over think it. if you want a good list for basic guys such as myself PM me and ill send you pics and a list of what i carry that covers everything i can handle.

A twenty year old who thinks he knows it all above.Are you calling people who have medical supplies carrying everything but the kitchen sink dumb a**** ? Did you ever think someone else might come along with the right training and no supplies.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:35 AM
I survive on Hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SLOW View Post

A twenty year old who thinks he knows it all above.Are you calling people who have medical supplies carrying everything but the kitchen sink dumb a**** ? Did you ever think someone else might come along with the right training and no supplies.
It seems to me he was commenting about people who carry giant medical packs just because it looks cool.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,190 Posts

Buying a large medical pack cost a lot of money. I believe people with that kind of equipment and supplies are most likely in the medical field or are in school getting proper training.A mall ninja isn't going to buy this type stuff to look cool.He or she would be to busy buying accessories for their mall ninja toys.A cheap thrown together military copy of a medical kit is what they would most likely select. Professional medical back packs are big bucks.If someone would spend that kind of money in medical supplies you would think would be seeking out some kind of professional training.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MR_SLOW For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 05:40 PM
But I love guns

I appreciate all of the replies :D

I have decided to make two kits from scratch. One to attach to my bag with non-emergency items, and another for my belt for "life/death" items. I have already ordered:

http://www.voodootactical.net/p-195-...dical-kit.aspx

and

http://www.voodootactical.net/p-20-e...yment-bag.aspx

Once I receive them (next few days) I'm going to fine-tune my list of items to respect the available space. I will have a lot of first aid supplies, but I really have a INCH bag as I am already in the safest location I have access to. I wouldn't need as much if I was planning on just coming home.

I lol'd and agree with the comments about having flashy gear/attracting attention. That's why I opted for the olive drab than the bright red with white cross color scheme. Once I get the bags I'll post my supply list to get some advice before I buy.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:53 PM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 6,495 Times in 2,824 Posts
Thumbs up

When you put together a First Aid kit remember to include a product like Burn Gel for burns...If you look in your local yellow pages for medical supply places they have some products that can't be found at your local mart........
Old 02-02-2012, 08:35 PM
But I love guns

I have put together my list of first aid supplies. I would appreciate any advice on it:

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=213903