Medical Kit - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chinook Medical Gear Announces New Emergency Preparedness Medical Kit ChinookMed For Sale 1 06-24-2014 02:22 PM
Medical set-up RovingElCamino Health, Fitness and First Aid 6 10-26-2013 02:13 PM
What is in your medical bag? Autumnprepper Urban Survival 26 03-27-2013 07:23 PM
Medical Kit? Survival_TillTheEnd Health, Fitness and First Aid 5 01-14-2013 07:23 AM
Medical thread. Go to Medical School and be an MD. peak_oil Health, Fitness and First Aid 3 10-08-2012 02:42 PM
Medical Corps/PRN MED medical training in hostile environments Preacherboy Reviews and questions 1 09-16-2012 06:59 PM
Medical BOL & BOB Sticks440 Health, Fitness and First Aid 10 12-12-2011 02:42 PM
What do you have in your medical bag? skyelynnphoto Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 07-22-2011 03:34 AM
Medical kit LoneWolf83 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 35 03-23-2010 11:16 PM

Old 01-22-2012, 06:20 PM
But I love guns

Default Medical Kit

Advertise Here

I have tried finding a thread with specific information about medical supplies, but to no avail. The medical kit portion of my BOB is severely lacking. Can anyone recommend a bulk kit, like

Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits Outfitter Kit:... cover
Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits Outfitter Kit:...
plus whatever else I should buy separately that is not included? My primary concerns would be managing severe wounds (cuts or bullet), burns, frost bite, and then your regular wounds. If someone has a very wide-use kit I would greatly appreciate it, but like I said, it would be nice if the majority of the kit can be bought together. I will also have dogs with me and would appreciate any recommendations for that as well. Is there anything that you can easily feed a dog that will induce vomiting (if they eat poison)?

THANKS
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Logical_Vegan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm Old and Dumb

You're certainly on the right track looking for a kit that's "all-inclusive."

I have used all types of first-aid non surgical items over 22 years in the military and have found that a combo of several different kits has worked best for me. A larger kit like the one you posted is fairly sufficient for most incidents you'll encounter. I'd also add multiple quikclots, IV essentials, suture and syringe kit, trauma pads, scalpels, sam splint (or 2), and several types of meds and vitamins (sodium, magnesium, vitamin b and d). I can go on, but you get the idea.

A good medical book is also worthwhile, I understand that a wilderness first aid book is included with that kit you looked at. Also look into free or reasonably in expensive classes given by local search and rescue groups, red-cross, and often times places like REI.

If you can get an account at promotive.com many of the groups offer a 50% discount to American Medical products.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Gettin By

Thanked 1,576 Times in 651 Posts

The best kind of any kit, is the one you put togather yourself. Anything they sell you is made for that purpose, to sell it to you. You generally have no idea of the quality of the items included, and if they will meet your specific needs.

As far as a first aid kit goes, it needs to be tailored to your particular situation and the needs of your group. Another concern is the level of training you have. It does you no good to have medications and medical supplies in your kit that you nor anyone else in your group knows how to or is qualified to use.

If you don't have the training already, get with your local LEPC or the Red Cross. They offer some great First Responder / First Aid classes. Attending these classes will also give you a good idea of what you will want to include in your own kit. Another advantage is that you may get to meet a Nurse or an EMT or Paramedic that is teaching the class that may want to become part of your group. And that is something that is worth alot and that you can't buy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blackrock For This Useful Post:

Old 01-22-2012, 06:57 PM
90/10 headed for 95/5

Thanked 9,211 Times in 4,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical_Vegan View Post
I have tried finding a thread with specific information about medical supplies, but to no avail. ......
You're kidding, right?

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=208928
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=146490
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=207289
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=194034
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=201608
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=183925
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=199393
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=197363
etc,
etc,
etc,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 357revolverfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Prepared

Lightbulb Check out wilderness responder books

The one I have is Wilderness Emergency Care by Steve Donelan. It's an ASHI manual. There is a nice section on buliding a responder pack. I'm in the process of building a aid pack myself and have worked my way through your same questions. Here are some of the items I put in mine.
Traumatic injury (hyfin chest seal, celox, CAT tourniquets, combat bandages)
Mechanical injury (sam splints, ace bandages)
Thermal injury (water gel dressings, NAHR hypothermia kits)
General- various size gauze rolls, dressings, poviodine, blood pressure cuff, stethoscope, light for checking pupils/eyes, alcohol wipes, gloves, thermometer (truthfully should be a rectal for real core temp) general pill selection of ibuprofen, acetaminophen, naprosyn, decongestants, immodium.
Not complete by any stretch but it's a work in progress.
The Following User Says Thank You to mhneil For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 04:10 AM

I found most pre built kits to be cheap crap. They stock with alot of stuff that is cheap and not enough of what you would really need. I had to assemble my own. You can spend less and get alot more if you put together your own.

A couple of things to make sure you have: Suture kit (shopmedvet.com), Adolph's meat tenderizer for venomous stings etc. you can get it at any grocery store., Benedryl, for allergic reactions and as a sedative., anti-diarrheal medication to stave off dehydration from gastro sicknesses, lot's of Motrin, mole-skin, strong antiseptic i.e. Betadine wipes, Neosporine, assorted band-aids/bandages, cravats, and anything else specific to your needs.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Orion811 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 09:28 AM

Two suggestions from a 30 year paramedic. Learn how to do first aid, the kit is worthless if you don't know what to do with it. Two, bulk up on heavy bandages, I always laugh when we show up at a bad car wreck and people pull out little first aid kits filled with small gauze pads and band-aids. We always use 4x4 or 5x7 gauze, large rolls of gauze also known as kerlix or cling. You can even use sanitary napkins for large cuts, we very rarely use tape, we just wrap in gauze and tie a knot. Hope this helps.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to geoffs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 02:53 PM
But I love guns

I was looking through what comes with:

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...ve&product=86#

And I feel that there are items I don't want, as well as items that don't come with it. I have decided that I will piece together a kit that only contains what I want, but I would like a sort of first aid kit "style" bag for everything.

Do they sell empty bags that have clear compartments/can be used to first aid kits, like this:

Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits Comprehensive... cover
Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits Comprehensive...
I can't find any.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Prepared

Quote:
I was looking through what comes with:

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...ve&product=86#

And I feel that there are items I don't want, as well as items that don't come with it. I have decided that I will piece together a kit that only contains what I want, but I would like a sort of first aid kit "style" bag for everything.

Do they sell empty bags that have clear compartments/can be used to first aid kits, like this:

Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits Comprehensive Kit: Health & Personal Care

I can't find any.
You just need to get creative with the search is all

How about 'Travel cosmetics bag'?
Amazon.com: Hanging Toiletry Cosmetics Travel... cover
Amazon.com: Hanging Toiletry Cosmetics Travel...
The Following User Says Thank You to Pik4chu For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Prepared

I have had a couple of kits with the clear plastic compartments. Never did like them. In the summer, they would cling to everything and it made it hard to get the items out of the compartments. I eventually pulled everything out and threw the kit away.

If you want see through, find a kit that has mesh compartments. You can find empty first aid kits on ebay pretty cheap.

I put most of my first aid items in ziplock freezer bags and then stow them in the mesh pockets of my trauma bag. This keeps everything dry and organized.

I use a 5.11 24 hour responder back pack for my trauma gear. http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...PONDER-24.html

If you want see through, find a kit that has mesh compartments.

When you buy your first aid items, buy in bulk. It's cheaper that way and you will have extras to refill your kit with when needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to jarhead1987 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead1987 View Post
I have had a couple of kits with the clear plastic compartments. Never did like them. In the summer, they would cling to everything and it made it hard to get the items out of the compartments. I eventually pulled everything out and threw the kit away.

If you want see through, find a kit that has mesh compartments. You can find empty first aid kits on ebay pretty cheap.

I put most of my first aid items in ziplock freezer bags and then stow them in the mesh pockets of my trauma bag. This keeps everything dry and organized.

I use a 5.11 24 hour responder back pack for my trauma gear. http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...PONDER-24.html

If you want see through, find a kit that has mesh compartments.

When you buy your first aid items, buy in bulk. It's cheaper that way and you will have extras to refill your kit with when needed.
Lol you being in Kansas Id have to agree with your findings on the clear plastic and I had the same issue when living in Texas. Its less of a problem where I am now since the heat isn't as harsh. I was mainly just posting that as an example, just a quick 30second Google search for possibilities not a full recommendation
The Following User Says Thank You to Pik4chu For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 1,208 Times in 827 Posts

Training is your best bet, better than any kit. Adventure Medical Kits are good, but add stuff to them. I have the yellow soft kits, theyre good- with stuff added. The bigger outdoors kits are great, better with more stuff added.

More 4x4's, more bandaids, more antiseptic pads. Maybe a CAT tournequet, some battle dressings and some Celox. And whatever you 'need' of course. Prescriptions, extra glasses, etc.

I'm assuming Ipacek syrup would induce vomiting in dogs like it does humans. Not all toxins are best barfed up though, better to use activated charcoal on them first... Again, training...
The Following User Says Thank You to sachson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2012, 11:36 PM

I have an Adventure Medical Kit, the smaller $25 dollar sportsman one, bought it for short term backpacking... has a good variety of things. of course as others said it could use things added. the book that comes with it is amazing. It is pretty much a dummy's guide to first aid. Its very easy to figure out, and lists injuries by severity, locations, types... and tells you exactly what to do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jebus11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Chains keep us together.

Thanked 49,560 Times in 16,329 Posts

You would think some people here want you to get a licence to put together a first aid kit.

Some of the best premade kits are at sporting goods and outdoor stores, there always have a little fluff in them(un-needed stuff). A first aid kit isn't something to live out of, there's a limited amout of things you can carry and their generally good for a few problems then your restocking them.
those kits are usually good enough to get you to a doc or a EMT. but if your thinking about a future where there is no doctors office or ambulance service, you will need a very large kit, the thing is......all these people saying dont buy stuff if you dont have the training, there not comming over to help if SHTF, and their not parting with their presious supplies.
So i would say start with a decent kit, keep adding and building to it as time premits and soon you will be able to take care of as much as any EMT that isn't comming anyway. This is a survivalist forum, not camping.
It's amazing what the body can heal from if you can treat the breaks, bleeding and breathing and shock.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rover For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
My primary concerns would be managing severe wounds (cuts or bullet), burns, frost bite, and then your regular wounds. If someone has a very wide-use kit I would greatly appreciate it, but like I said, it would be nice if the majority of the kit can be bought together.
Others have already pointed out the multitude of other threads on this general subject, but there's no argument that there's a LOT of info out there to try and wade through.

With regards to the 'bullet' portion of your kit, I'd strongly recommend having multiple pre-packaged mini kits specifically for treating gunshot wounds, and make sure everyone knows how to use them, and carries one. As I posted in another thread some time ago, my IFAK used to consist of:
  • 1x 4in Izzy bandage (w/ mobile pad)
  • 1x 6x9 Abdominal Pad
  • 1x Light stick
  • 1x Black Sharpie
  • 1x NPA (28FR) w/surgilube
  • 1x Quick Clot Z-fold Combat Gauze
  • 1x 4in Ace bandage
  • 2x Pairs of gloves
  • 2x 4" x 75" Conforming stretch gauze
  • 1x Halo Chest Seal (2 per package)
  • 1x 14 ga 3.25" decompression needle
  • 1x EMT Shears
  • 1x CAT Tourniquet

It hasn't changed a lot since then, but I have replaced Israeli bandages with H bandages after taking a class on the subject at hand. They're just better built, more reliable, easier to use on yourself (with one hand) and they apply pressure more directly. I've also ditched the CAT tourniquet in favor of the SOF-T model. Just a more intuitive design overall, and it seems to be stronger as well.

Depending on the amount of gauze (or other nifty blood-soaking material) the kit can be pretty damn small, so there's no excuse not to have one handy. Of course, the training on how to use every item in a kit like this is just as critical as having the gear, if not more so. This setup is very similar to what you'll find on every one of our deployed troops from supply line guys to special forces, and for good reason.

As for the rest of your kit, you can pick up individual items for each of the symptoms you mention above at the component level for pretty cheap. I like Chinookmed.com for my gear. Not necessarily the cheapest outfit around, but they're extremely reliable and trustworthy. I wouldn't trust my life, or the life of someone who needs these supplies, to just any FleaBay seller.

An added bonus to putting your own kit together is that you can pick specific things you want to be able to treat now, and buy a little at a time instead of trying to buy something pre-made that 'does it all' and will cost a small fortune. GOOD pre-built kits are NOT cheap. http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/category/k-ep
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thoreau For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Garbage Collector

Thanked 35,940 Times in 8,892 Posts

I build my kits to suit my planned activities, number of people, etc.

All inclusive kits generally are not very good for real emergencies, and offer a false sense of security.

I like to use a modular approach-

this is basic gear-

PPE- gloves, cpr mask, etc.
Airway- NPA, OPA, chest seals, duct tape
Bandage- kerlex, 4x4's, 5x9's, quickclot, adb pads, battle dressings, tourniquet.
Splint- SAM splint, kravats, ace wrap, kerlex, instant cold pack, duct tape
Meds- OTC- Aleve, tylenol, aspirin, benadryl, antibiotic ointment, etc.
tools- trauma shears, penlight, stethoscope, hemostats.

I pack a lot more than this based on skill level.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2012, 06:40 PM

I don't know about the other stuff but regarding the dog. My dog like to eat grass to induce vomiting when he is feeling sick.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jegred2 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2012, 07:00 PM

My two cents is that it needs to be tailored to your needs. On my belt I carry a cat tourniquet, nasal pharangial, 14ga needle/cath, quick clot, trauma scissors and a muslin bandage. But in my bag I have all the band aids, aspirin, etc. but those are my needs and my kit supports it. All my junk came from www.narescue.com. Not always the cheapest, but easiest place to find it. They have good ifaks as a complete kit if you're looking for that. Mine is all piecemeal based on my training and what I tend on using it for.

Be honest with yourself and build your own based on what YOU need, not what I or anybody else here needs. Avoid the premade kits unless you cannibalize them to build yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to duckhunter18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2012, 10:19 AM

Thanked 9,220 Times in 2,756 Posts

Quote:
I have tried finding a thread with specific information about medical supplies, but to no avail. The medical kit portion of my BOB is severely lacking. Can anyone recommend a bulk kit, like

Amazon.com: Adventure Medical Kits Outfitter Kit: Health & Personal Care

plus whatever else I should buy separately that is not included? My primary concerns would be managing severe wounds (cuts or bullet), burns, frost bite, and then your regular wounds. If someone has a very wide-use kit I would greatly appreciate it, but like I said, it would be nice if the majority of the kit can be bought together. I will also have dogs with me and would appreciate any recommendations for that as well. Is there anything that you can easily feed a dog that will induce vomiting (if they eat poison)?

THANKS
that is the exact kit i have. i am not that savvy myself when it come to first aid, or building my own kit, so i bought that one. i added more band aids, gauze pads, non stick pads, a couple more rolls of gauze wrap, small bottles of over the counter meds like ibuprofen and Imodium, better scissors, 2 small travel size bottles of soft soap, and a couple 3 inch ace bandages. it is a tight fit, but i stuffed it full. i know i should get a better kit and some kind of training, but for now this one more than matches my skill level.
The Following User Says Thank You to lorky For This Useful Post: