Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insects are most abundant food shwnd Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 27 06-12-2014 03:49 AM
Insects proverbs668 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 06-24-2013 09:04 PM
UN Promotes Insects for Food Sailorsam Controversial News and Alternative Politics 27 05-23-2013 06:08 PM
Insects, And How To Eat Them. PatriotNC Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 33 12-03-2010 12:25 PM
raising insects as food syrian Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 14 02-24-2010 06:26 AM
Rats and insects as a food source Rshooter Urban Survival 36 01-16-2010 11:15 PM
Insects surfcast Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 15 08-24-2009 10:06 AM
Insects as Food BadJuju Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 41 11-17-2008 02:32 AM
raising food insects... wynturmute Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 41 05-16-2008 03:15 PM
Insects MAKE MY DAY 007 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 05-01-2008 07:02 AM

Old 04-09-2010, 11:10 PM

Default Insects as food

Advertise Here

Hello fellow survivalists,

Anyone on the forum eat insects for survival food?

Not the sugar coated ones you find in lollypops, but, ones you catch and eat live or boil up in a soup and even fry them in olive oil or coconut oil.

They also taste great in salads with avocado oil.

Does anyone raise bugs for food?

There are over 1500 known edible insects worldwide. Don't forget about arthropods such as land crabs, freshwater shrimp, crawdads, larvae and worms.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2010, 01:18 AM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 7,098 Times in 2,363 Posts

I know all about eating bugs. Yes, I know they are chocked full of protein and all that good stuff. To my way of thinking, insects are bait for fish. I like fish. I'd have to be in some really dire straights to eat a bug...food prejudices I suppose. TP
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2010, 03:48 AM
Prepared

Mmmm....fish...mmmm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2010, 08:17 AM

I read in an army survival manual, FM 21-76, that you can eat larva and other soft skined insects raw and that you need to cook beetles and other insects that have hard exoskeletons. I have been kicking apart logs and stuff looking for bugs but haven't found much yet.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Maximus

Thanked 15,414 Times in 6,591 Posts

Visit Asia, we eat bugs on sticks like BBQ.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:10 PM

You can eat beetles raw just pull off the wings and head. any insect over an inch long should be cooked. Anything with three body parts and six legs is edible. im not big on bugs but hav had to eat them.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:38 AM

Default Insects as Food

Hello Fellow Bug Eaters,

I have traveled exetensively and it appears only the Western culture has an adverse issue with bug food.

Asia and Africa have bug meals as a mainstay and they have some giant bugs; quite filling.

In the military manuals there are some good guidlines regarding bug food.

In times of survival, bugs will do the job. I wouldn't eat urban bugs unless you raise your own. Urban bugs are filled with toxic chemicals.

Some of you might know, from previous posts, we are 100% organic and we expect the same from our bug food.

Once you get over the mental part of it, the rest is quite easy and delicious.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Numquam Succumbe

Thanked 5,717 Times in 2,285 Posts

I seem to recall something about bugs with exoskeletons being prone to carrying parasites? Anybody know about this?
Old 04-12-2010, 11:19 AM

Default Parasites & Bugs

Hello twyggy,

Bugs & related critters do have parasites as every living organism does. Humans usually carry about 100 varieties. Very few are ever damaging to our health. When eating for survival, it's best to stay away from insects & arthropods that live off of other living creature's blood, such as mosquitos. This type of parasitic bug will carry the type of parasites that can be damaging and even cause death in humans.

Regarding edibles, as long as you cook them, most likely you will never have an issue.

Most importantly, you must create an unfriendly internal enviroment, which deters parasites from homesteading in your body.

I have used a formula for many years which does just this. We also use it as an insecticide on our organic garden.

1 medium crushed garlic clove
1 TBS of freshly crushed ginger root
1/4 TSP powder cloves
1/4 TSP cayenne or freshly ground habenero
1/4 TSP cinnamon
1/4 TSP turmeric
1 TBS of freshly chopped onion
1 TBS psyllium powder

Mix it in 10-12 oz of water & drink fast!

You can see this is very potent. Begin with half the dose and build up to 2X per day.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fit To Survive For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2010, 11:31 AM

Default Parasitic Formula

Hello twyggy,

Regarding my formula, it does take a long time to build up to this dose. It's best to begin 2X per week & eventually 5-7 times per week.

After a month, take everyday, then reduce to 2X per week for the rest of your life, unless you're in the wild and eating edibles daily, then take it daily.

The psyllium is used to absorb the dead worms and eggs in the lower GI to excete them faster so they do not get used as food by other parasitic worms.
After your body adapts to the psyllium take 3 TBS per day for the rest of your life.

Round, hook, heart, whip and tape worms lay from 3000-200,000 eggs every day!

You want to get them out of your system ASAP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fit To Survive For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Numquam Succumbe

Thanked 5,717 Times in 2,285 Posts

Wow! Great information! Thanks so much!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:21 AM

Default Parasites, Bugs & More Info

You're welcomed any time!

One key note; be sure all ingredients are organic. They're far more potent than conventionally grown herbs and spices which also makes them more effeicient.

If you have an abundance of parasites in your system, do not be surprised if you see them in your excretions after taking the formula. It's very common and a natural cleansing process; just not too pleasant to think about.

Also, you might get a little light headed when you gulp your potient. Don't be alarmed it's natural to feel that way until your body gets used to it.

Drink up and enjoy.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:42 AM
Watch it buster!

YEA BUGS! um no.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:40 AM

Default Tasty Bugs

Hello singingtothewheat!

Most people do have an adversion to edible bugs. They're really no different than lobster, shrimp, crawdads and crabs; just not as meaty.

In times of survival, they'll really taste good!

We read your profile. My wife found it interesting. She was born in KS and raised in CO & now KY is our home.

Keep riding those Harleys & playing with snakes!

Last edited by Fit To Survive; 04-14-2010 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 04-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,839 Times in 2,590 Posts

Yes, I have eaten bugs. Hardshell beetles are okay , but I much prefer the worm, caterpillar variety. I do not crunch them hard, I merely lightly bite and roll my teeth on them to crush them again lightly. Actually I find most surprisingly sweet tasting...
Old 04-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,748 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I've eaten fried agave worms in Mexico, but that's it. Took a little liquid courage to get me to try them, but now I actually like them and buy them willingly when I'm across the border. I'd still have a hard time eating most bugs though, but at least I know I could do it.

When I was a kid, I ate maggots by accident, and a moth once. The maggots were sour. You could use them as a substitute for lemon! Ok, maybe not.

The moth was an accident that happened when I was swimming and came up for air. It was dry and powdery. Not good eats.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Target Shooter

bugs are great!!! Anyone knocking them as a bad food is obviously in need of of a lot more survival knowledge as this is in the basic level of survival knowledge. All of you that think your going to be eating deer and rabbits every night are in a world of hurt in a real survival situation and you will surly starve in a very short time if your not willing to eat bugs. Bugs/insects are more abundant in weight that all the mammals on planet earth combined. pound for pound insects have as much protein as ground beef and can be found on almost every corner of the planet in great abundance. In a survival situation protein is the name of the game. You can eat just about any bug larvae, some taste good some are awful but all will keep you alive. stay away from brightly colored bugs. Actually As a general rule, bugs with fine hairs, bright colors, or eight or more legs are off limits.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,277 Times in 1,285 Posts

Mexico is the place to go and learn on bug eating.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:53 PM
E Pluribus Unum

Does the worm at the bottom of a bottle of Mezcal count? If so, then yes I eat bugs; afterward, I turn and become a
Old 04-16-2010, 07:03 AM

Default More on edible bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
Yes, I have eaten bugs. Hardshell beetles are okay , but I much prefer the worm, caterpillar variety. I do not crunch them hard, I merely lightly bite and roll my teeth on them to crush them again lightly. Actually I find most surprisingly sweet tasting...
Good for you! When your life depends upon it for real survival you"ll be ready!