Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pepper spray recommendations MHarn Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 50 08-14-2019 09:48 PM
Trijicon new long range scopes for PRS and Benchrest shooters AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 05-14-2018 08:30 PM
What happens if your caught with the wrong pepper spray in NYC or Jersey? slackercruster Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 33 02-17-2018 01:09 AM
Build Review: Custom 10/22 Long Range Tack Driver AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-09-2016 04:00 PM
Superior self defence - high pressure pepper spray Lunes Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense 34 10-12-2016 03:21 PM

Old 12-29-2018, 06:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,051 Times in 718 Posts
Default Long range pepper spray?

Advertise Here

We've been having a problem with dogs roaming around and trying to fight with our dogs when we walk them in the yard. They're not strays, just owned by people who don't care that they run around loose. We're constantly calling animal control and the police and it doesn't make a difference. We have the Sabre pepper spray but it only reaches out to the length of our dogs' leashes. Is there anything that's effective out to at least 30ft? Preferably something that's either cheap or reloadable so we can practice with it.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlphaSierraCharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 06:14 PM
More than .0001%

Thanked 2,045 Times in 705 Posts

There are numerous homemade pepper spray recipes out there that’s certainly not as effective as commercial made, but loaded into one of those battery powered squirt guns made give you the desired results and the ability to practice.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lb0190 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 12:14 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,272 Times in 493 Posts

Some bear sprays claim they can reach out 20'-30' - you might want to check those out. Something my dad did when we had a similar problem when I was a kid - he got a supersoaker squirt gun and a quart bottle of really cheap smelly perfume. It avoided all of the potential legal problems and it drove the dogs crazy when you hit them in the face with it 8-)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to johnmcd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2019, 12:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,927 Times in 7,972 Posts

Ammonia water works about as well as anything else in one of the super soakers. If you use the soapy one and aim for the head, you'll run 'em off in short order. And you can get your thirty feet if the wind ain't too bad against you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 02:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,468 Times in 1,710 Posts

I can't remember the brands,but look for "stream" not "spray"..even the small key ring ones will reach out there on a calm day.(unless your dog leash is more than 6 foot,any of them should reach)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 02:09 PM
Gone Fishing

Thanked 10,179 Times in 2,435 Posts

Ammonia in a battery powered squirt gun? Maybe just leave out a nice refreshing bowl of propylene glycol?
Old 01-02-2019, 02:13 PM
Survivor

5 % ammonia water isn't going to cause permanent damage to the dogs in question, and it's going to cause enough immediate grief from the eye-burn and the smell to get 'em off the OP's dogs. Antifreeze is a slow and painful poison that will kill in a fashion that is slow and tortuous. SonOfLiberty, I don't like your suggestion much.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 02:27 PM
Gone Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
5 % ammonia water isn't going to cause permanent damage to the dogs in question, and it's going to cause enough immediate grief from the eye-burn and the smell to get 'em off the OP's dogs. Antifreeze is a slow and painful poison that will kill in a fashion that is slow and tortuous. SonOfLiberty, I don't like your suggestion much.
I understand that you might not. OTOH, when my children were small they got chased by some unruly pitbulls 1 one which I had to shoot. The other three still continued to come into my yard(my yard was fenced with a 4' tall chain link and posted with no trespassing signs), same owner as the first, so I "accidentally" left some out and the problem was solved. A better solution would have been if I could have shot the owner or if animal control had done their job. Sometimes bad solutions are our only real choices.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 06:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
I understand that you might not. OTOH, when my children were small they got chased by some unruly pitbulls 1 one which I had to shoot. The other three still continued to come into my yard(my yard was fenced with a 4' tall chain link and posted with no trespassing signs), same owner as the first, so I "accidentally" left some out and the problem was solved. A better solution would have been if I could have shot the owner or if animal control had done their job. Sometimes bad solutions are our only real choices.
What if one of the kids drank that "kool aid"?
Rationalizing bad choices is another bad choice.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:53 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
You know, we should never have let the ladies talk us into outlawing the old Code Duello. Given your experience, I'll not criticize. A man does what he's gotta do to protect the kids.
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 04:11 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Go buy you a new shovel handle. When an aggressive dog runs up, knock the living **** out of them. If they don't run off and keep coming back for more, that dog needs to be put down. Give the owner ONE courtesy visit. After that, don't call the cops, don't contact the neighbor, just do what needs to be done in quiet. The best kept secret is the one you keep to yourself.

How does a neighborhood have menacing dogs and local dog pound not picking them up? Have you tried contacting them? Be sure to say they are chasing children and are biting people. That will get them there promptly because of the potential for lawsuit against the city. Oh, and city dog catchers are peace officers. They can ticket homeowners on leash laws, etc.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:13 PM
Gone Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post

How does a neighborhood have menacing dogs and local dog pound not picking them up? Have you tried contacting them? Be sure to say they are chasing children and are biting people. That will get them there promptly because of the potential for lawsuit against the city.
That is how it should be. That is not always the case however.
The Following User Says Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 05:01 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,528 Times in 518 Posts

30 foot wasp spray... I was on my way to spray a nest when that dog.....
It’s flammable too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jframe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,278 Posts

Vinegar solution in a squirt gun, harmless but smelly and stings the eyes.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:02 PM
Inglorious Deplorable

Thanked 33,693 Times in 13,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Vinegar solution in a squirt gun, harmless but smelly and stings the eyes.
That's ok. I'm sure it could be drained and refilled with wasp spray.

Time to repeal the 17th.
The Following User Says Thank You to 9111315 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2019, 07:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,051 Times in 718 Posts

The super soaked ideas are good except I'll have a leash in each hand. The dogs are only a problem when we're walking ours (on a leash, in our own yard). One of the owners is the son of a former mayor do he just pitches a fit instead of paying a fine. He'll definitely pursue legal action if he has any kind of case. The cops/animal control have been called multiple times, he doesn't care. The bear spray sounds like my best option.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,760 Times in 8,353 Posts

https://youtu.be/szKRtvfPfXA
Old 01-07-2019, 05:20 PM

I have used Kimber Pepper Blasters and they work great. The range is probably not 30' but certainly more than the 12 or so feet you get out of the Sabre canister. Also they are non-aerosol so the product doesn't drift around as much as spray from one of those canisters so you can less likely to give yourself or your own dogs a dose.

The only thing is they are relatively expensive, you only get 2 shots, and they are not reloadable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to .25 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 07:29 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,014 Times in 448 Posts

Jframe beat me to it. I was going to suggest wasp spray. I don't think it has a 30' range but its cheap. I buy it from Walmart (Eliminator brand) and I have never got a bad can of it and its just a couple of bucks.

I never thought about it being flammable. I have something new to try now.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:43 PM
Sheepdog in Wolf clothing

Thanked 2,264 Times in 778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSierraCharlie View Post
We've been having a problem with dogs roaming around and trying to fight with our dogs when we walk them in the yard. They're not strays, just owned by people who don't care that they run around loose. We're constantly calling animal control and the police and it doesn't make a difference. We have the Sabre pepper spray but it only reaches out to the length of our dogs' leashes. Is there anything that's effective out to at least 30ft? Preferably something that's either cheap or reloadable so we can practice with it.
All reloadable:
Smith and Wesson
Ruger
Colt
Kimber
Taurus

If the damn dog is coming into your yard and attacking, just shoot the stupid thing and be done with it. When the neighbor comes to confront you, have the cops on the phone to respond to that.