Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 06:04 PM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 84,338 Times in 24,352 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
As did I.
Hopefully this thing fizzles out and we don't have a chance to try out our masks. peace
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2020, 04:20 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 63,795 Times in 21,681 Posts

Good grief. This chatter about being worried about touching your permanent mask is no big deal.

It's called 70% alcohol in a pump spray bottle. I work sterile procedures every week.

You wash your hands the right way. Yes, there is a right way. Then you spray your hands down. Then you don your sterile gloves. Then your spray your gloves. Then you pull your mask from its clean pouch, attach your filter discs, and don it. Do your work. When you are done you wash your mask pouch in alcohol and set it aside. Then you remove your mask and toss the filters. Wash your mask in alcohol and stuff it in the clean pouch and seal it. Then you remove your gloves and toss them too. Finally you finish up by washing your hands again in alcohol.

If you don't use a mask with a conformal seal then all you are doing is gambling you get lucky. Saying those N95 masks are better because they are easier is still gambling. Being able to conveniently toss them is still gambling. You are still stuck with the hazmat trash aspect that means more work is involved.

Reading all of you debate about these cheap paper M95 masks makes me happy I've got several full face Nortons, a couple cases of tyvek coveralls, and a lime green Tychem pvc bunny suit. I don't half-ass or DIY my PPE needs.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 04:37 AM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

By the way, for those that still prefer a disposable mask for whatever reason, I just discovered one with an actual seal. No idea what they cost, but passing along the info.

Here is a P-100 with face seal and exhalation valve that might be worth a look.
They have a video as well.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...8720774&rt=rud

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2020, 06:07 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,453 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post

I work sterile procedures every week.

Zeke
Are you still volunteering your time at a clinic?
The Following User Says Thank You to Stoveman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 07:25 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 6,762 Times in 1,552 Posts

I, like many others, believe that P100 respirators outperform N95s for excluding the 2019-nCov (Wuhan virus). I am positive that it does.

That is why I was surprised to find that the World Health Organization is giving this advice to health care workers: you should use the n95 respirator mask if you are collecting samples from someone who is suspected to be infected with the virus.

WHO guidelines infection control 2019 nCoV.pdf

https://www.who.int/publications-det...ected-20200125

(I bolded parts of this for emphasis)

Collecting and handling laboratory specimens
from patients with suspected 2019-nCoV
infection

All specimens collected for laboratory investigations should
be regarded as potentially infectious. HCWs who collect,
handle or transport any clinical specimens should adhere
rigorously to the following standard precaution measures and
biosafety practices to minimize the possibility of exposure to
pathogens.

• ensure that HCWs who collect specimens use
appropriate PPE (i.e., eye protection, a medical mask, a
long-sleeved gown, gloves). If the specimen is collected
with an aerosol-generating procedure,
personnel should
wear a particulate respirator at least as protective as a
NIOSH-certified N95,
an EU standard FFP2, or the
equivalent;

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams

Last edited by GrizzlyetteAdams; 02-07-2020 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: fixed link
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 08:36 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 6,762 Times in 1,552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post

You can keep using it over and over until hard to breathe, then replace the P-100s
If you are careful you can clean the rubber part each time to keep the valves working and keep it all sanitary.

Curious... I wondered if anyone knew how long the filters will last in the average (non-workplace) environment before they become harder to breathe and need replacing. What timeframe are you figuring on?

EDITED TO ADD:

I found the answer: https://pksafety.com/blog/when-to-ch...-or-cartridges

Quote:
The general rule for filter replacement is to leave the contaminated area and dispose of the filter if it becomes damaged, soiled, or breathing becomes difficult. Even if none of these things happen, it's recommended to dispose of filters after 40 hours of use or 30 days, whichever comes first.

But apparently this is for dealing with oily aerosols? Because, this:

https://www.allergyasthmatech.com/p1...rs-4-pack.html
Quote:
...in environments containing only oily aerosols, replace after 40 hours of use or 30 days (whichever is first)

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
The Following User Says Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 08:50 AM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
Curious... I wondered if anyone knew how long the filters will last in the average (non-workplace) environment before they become harder to breathe and need replacing. What timeframe are you figuring on?
I would think 2 to 4 weeks in a non-dusty environment.

IF you are shoveling coal dust or sanding drywall overhead you might plug them up in 4 to 8 hours.

When it gets hard to breathe, you change them.

FOr people making a run to a store or whatever they will likely never plug up because you are only wearing them an hour at a time or so.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 01:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,314 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
• ensure that HCWs who collect specimens use
appropriate PPE (i.e., eye protection, a medical mask, a
long-sleeved gown, gloves). If the specimen is collected
with an aerosol-generating procedure, personnel should
wear a particulate respirator at least as protective as a
NIOSH-certified N95, an EU standard FFP2, or the
equivalent;
The key words there are "at least".

They aren't saying "use an N95 mask".
They are saying "don't use anything less than an N95"

People get too hung up on the size of the virus alone when it's typically going to be carried on larger particles or droplets as opposed to drifting around on it's own.

It doesn't survive long if it's dry and outside a body.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:04 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
Zeke
Are you still volunteering your time at a clinic?
Over 30 years doing it at the VA. It has a lot of soft benefits. Free parking in a part of town where parking passes can cost several hundred a month in some cases. Free lunch every shift, plus regular parties and catered dinners. I get to use the upscale PPO style staff medical care clinic instead of the cattle calls for regular vets for free. I get treated a whole lot better by the hospital staff. If I'm ever admitted as an inpatient I get treated like a rock star. I have an instant decent paying job if I ever ask for it. I once figured out the volunteer gig gives me 6 or 7 grand a year in premium benefits. So rational self interest is laid on top of doing something to help the veteran community.

But that isn't the only experience I get. My real job sees me often enter toxic or hazardous confined spaces. My Norton masks and Tychem bunny suits are for engineering maintenance.

The P100 masks with conformal seal are the way to go here. The expense or hassle should be treated as a clue you are mingling with people too often. Self isolation will be your best protection anyway. So isolate more often until having to use pricey conformal seal masks ceases being a constant hassle.

So many things now geared for the lazy millennials will help. Amazon, Walmart, and most chain grocers deliver now. The stores that don't typically offer low contact will-call pickup ordering. We all self pump our gas these days. It's really just your social life and your job that are your prime vectors once you make shopping safe. Order that book series you've been putting off and turn the social life way down. You'll have to sort out your job exposure on your own, but that's far less to deal with once you ditch the shopping and social aspects. Frankly, I don't give a damn if my coworkers are concerned about me wearing PPE at work.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2020, 09:15 AM
The end is,,,,,

Thanked 13,448 Times in 5,609 Posts

Quote:
By the way, for those that still prefer a disposable mask for whatever reason, I just discovered one with an actual seal. No idea what they cost, but passing along the info.

You need to stay the hell out of my shed and quit taking pictures!!! For craps sake man! Are we the same person. Are you my brother, I have a ton of them!!!! These are my back ups!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to cleatis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 10:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,553 Times in 880 Posts

Quote:

Iíd agree those are a real seal, but be aware that N-95s are available with a fabric seal, kind of like a gasket. They clearly are an improvement over stock N-95s- in fact thats all I use in the shop- primarily for welding galvanized steel or grinding. Cost is ~35/ box of 10.

For those like me, that werenít keeping up, there is also a R-95- rated for limited oil exposure. Our hospital got a few cases due to Coronavirus- they were still in stock last weekend ( note- like most N-95s not FDA approved as a surgical respirator). Per 3M, they meet a N-95 requirements.

To echo what Zeke said, if it wasnít fairly easy to sanitize (sterilization isnít required) a respirator the fire service would be in a panic with every flu or upper respiratory epidemic. Itís pretty easy to sanitize smooth, non absorbent surfaces. ( professional municipal structural firefighters often get their own face piece- thatís not common across other first responders.). Generally, manufacturers recommend an iodophor or bleach solution, and OSHA recommends either ( 2 minute dunk followed by rinse) or use of a specialized solution approved by the manufacturer. For a SCBA you clean in soapy warm water first, rinse then sanitize (unless you buy a cleaner that sanitizes also).
The Following User Says Thank You to country_boy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 11:03 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,553 Times in 880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
I, like many others, believe that P100 respirators outperform N95s for excluding the 2019-nCov (Wuhan virus). I am positive that it does.

That is why I was surprised to find that the World Health Organization is giving this advice to health care workers: you should use the n95 respirator mask if you are collecting samples from someone who is suspected to be infected with the virus.
For an unintended aerosol exposure, N-95 are considered good enough, A level A hazmat suit with SCBA would offer better protection, but at what cost ( dollars, Efficiency, fatigue, thermal stress, risk of needle sticks, etc)

Generally the order is

N95
P100
Half face (10 protection factor)
Full face (50 PF)
Supplied Air ( in continuous flow -1000 PF)
POwered air purifying respirator (PAPR, 1000 PF)
SCBA-demand 50 PF
- positive pressure 10,000 PF

ETA- I have 2 half face respirators with P100 prefilters. If the pandemic comes to America, I’d wear N-95s unless there is evidence it is airborne. Even then social distancing would be preferred to respiratory protection.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to country_boy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 04:38 AM

What about disinfecting the mask by spraying with COLLOIDAL SILVER then dry it. What about 70% alcohol?
Old 02-12-2020, 06:19 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackD View Post
What about disinfecting the mask by spraying with COLLOIDAL SILVER then dry it. What about 70% alcohol?
What about it?

Colloidal silver has never passed a double blind test to kill germs.

Silver is bacteriostatic, not bacteriocidal. Germs have a hard time growing on it, but it doesn't outright kill. Silver is good for surfaces to keep them from being breeding grounds. Copper is the same way. But it won't actively kill a germ that lands on it in a useful time frame.

Preppers and natural medicine types place far too much faith in colloidal silver that research doesn't bear out.

70% alcohol actually kills germs, but it is a VOC. So it's not healthy to breathe and dries away too quick. Once it dries it won't keep killing bugs.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:42 AM
Emergency Manager

Thanked 4,524 Times in 1,777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilChick View Post
But it got me thinking even deeper....

Has anyone ever attempted to MAKE an N95 filter (n/p100 etc)?

I donít mean the fabric mask section, I mean the actual filter itself.
Unless you can test it using NIOSH testing procedures to the NIOSH standards, and not via youtube/mythbusters/internet hackery methods... this is a very bad idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 02:20 PM
Survivor

You can buy HEPA filters cheap on Amazon.
There's no need to reinvent the wheel.

There are countless styles and lots of ways to configure a usable set-up that can give adequate protection.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,899 Times in 5,704 Posts

Uh, one thing that is being missed is the Chinese are finding the COVID-19 has a unique ability to infect through the eyes. Lots of irony in that as the first guy to spill the beans and subsequently catch it and die was an eye doctor. The Chinese medical folks are saying that regular medical eye protection, the splash kind are NOT working. They are also begging for at least N95's as many are just given crap surgical masks which are no better than dust masks.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:57 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepping View Post
Uh, one thing that is being missed is the Chinese are finding the COVID-19 has a unique ability to infect through the eyes. Lots of irony in that as the first guy to spill the beans and subsequently catch it and die was an eye doctor. The Chinese medical folks are saying that regular medical eye protection, the splash kind are NOT working. They are also begging for at least N95's as many are just given crap surgical masks which are no better than dust masks.
There's nothing "unique" about that trait.

Many viruses can enter through mucous membranes.

Surgical masks are meant to stop the spread of the disease from the infected more so than to keep one from catching it.
Any mask is better than none though.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,899 Times in 5,704 Posts
Default COVID-19 Prohibited from wearing masks!!!

I just got word from a relative, he is PROHIBITED from wearing a mask at work as he deals with the public. He got word from a friend that works with the public (Convenience store/gas station attendant) that his company also has a prohibition on wearing masks as well.

This sounds more like local managers of big companies making decisions. Nothing from corporate.

I'd suggest they take the name of the person making this decision if they want to wear a mask and are being told they can't. It seems this is more of a discussion point than actual policy and orders.

I am kind of curious as to what will happen Tuesday, as we'd just had an employee return after he caught the regular flu from passengers and was out a week as an upper respiratory infection kicked in. In our field, if you feel the need to wear a mask, you wear a mask.

So prohibited from wearing masks at work:

Is anyone experiencing this?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Prepping For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2020, 01:38 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 46,161 Times in 14,119 Posts

He serves at his bosses pleasure, especially if he lives in a right to work state. I suggest he brush off the old resume.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread