Notices

Advertise Here
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 04:44 PM
Proud American Patriot

Thanked 9,410 Times in 1,863 Posts
Default making masks for the Corona virus

Advertise Here

For the record, I think we are overreacting to this virus and the panic is worse than the disease. But that doesn't mean safety measures shouldn't be employed, especially for those who are high risk or are around high risk people.

Someone I know is making masks from furnace filters that are designed to stop viruses from passing through; the filter package will be marked with the words "allergen, bacteria, and virus." This would seem to be among the best materials to use, and even though these are the most expensive filters, they are still a relatively cheap source of virus-stopping material. You make several masks from one filter.

(I didn't know filters like this existed. It might be a good idea to install them in the house, even though usually there is no need for such an extreme filter.)

He uses #12 household electrical wire hot glued around the edge of the mask, because it allows the mask to be conformed to the face, and elastic or big rubber bands glues and/or stapled on to hold it in place.

I wore masks for many years working in toxic environments (though not because of bio-toxicity); I've been in chemical plants, HF acid units in oil refineries, radiation areas in nuclear power plants, and other places with serious airborne contaminants, and one thing I learned many times is that a problem with these paper masks is not getting a perfect fit; without a perfect fit, at least some air is about as likely to go in and out around the mask as through it.

This is probably a little less of a problem if the mask is made in the way I described above, because the wire allows it to be formed to the face, but where it's important that all air breathed in (and out) be filtered, better masks are used, usually non-disposable rubber masks with replaceable filter cartridges. These cheaper masks are probably better than nothing, but do not let them give you a false sense of security.

Remember that facial hair will keep the mask from forming a seal, except that a small mustache is probably ok.

What is probably as important as the integrity of the mask is that proper procedures be used in removing and either cleaning or disposing of the mask; otherwise whatever it filters out might get to you anyway. Remember that your hands can also carry the virus.

I saw someone post on another forum that Joann's Fabrics is handing out free kits and supplies with authorized patterns, but I have not looked into it myself.

Fortunately this virus is not bad enough for any of this to be a big problem for most of us. I don't have any masks and don't intend to try to buy or make one. But maybe this is a good learning experience, in case a more deadly virus comes along.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to deprogramming services For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 07:46 PM
Sam Adams was right....

Thanked 21,792 Times in 6,094 Posts

if one is feeling a little project oriented...

Old 03-29-2020, 09:13 AM
Emergency Manager

Thanked 4,524 Times in 1,777 Posts

There was a recent study that used aerosolized Hydrogen Peroxide to sanitize masks for reuse without degrading them. That is the only tested method I have heard of so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 02:22 AM
I am interrogative, yes.

Thanked 2,471 Times in 619 Posts

3M: Disinfection of Filtering Facepiece Respirators

Quote:
There are at least four key aspects of successful disinfection of respirators, and most studies do not take all four into consideration. The disinfection method must:

• be effective against the target organism, such as the virus that causes COVID-19;
• not damage the respirator’s filtration;
• not affect the respirator’s fit; and
• be safe for the person wearing the respirator (e.g. no off-gassing of chemicals into the breathing zone).

As of March 27,2020, no disinfection method has met all four of these key criteria, and without all four, the method is not acceptable.
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...l-bulletin.pdf
Old 03-30-2020, 05:41 AM
Part of the food chain

Thanked 2,246 Times in 779 Posts

Take this advice for what it's worth.

https://www.sages.org/n-95-re-use-instructions/

these guys say stay away from UV light.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:14 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,453 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Warren View Post
The alcohol most likely is hurting the filter efficiency.

https://stanfordmedicine.app.box.com/v/covid19-PPE-1-1

The test showed that “soaking” in 70% alcohol reduced the masks ability to create a static charge.

But they did not test a “light spray” of alcohol.
Soaking could effect the arrangement of the fibers in a way that a light mist would not.

So they did not prove their conclusion “that alcohol should not be used”, because soaking in alcohol is different than misting a face mask with alcohol.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:34 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,453 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayFoal2 View Post
3M: Disinfection of Filtering Facepiece Respirators

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...l-bulletin.pdf
3M maker of face mask, says that they can’t be disinfected, so you should just buy more new mask from 3M/s

Looking at this bulletin and being a skeptic, I wonder if they are using methods that do not work, while there are methods that will work.

For example they used ionization from x-ray, that damaged the fibers, instead of using a simple negative ion generator.
I do not believe that negative ions from a simple negative ion generator would damage the fibers in the mask.
But! I do not know that a simple negative ion generator would sanitize a mask.
So my best advice is, do not take my advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stoveman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 08:08 AM

Default How to make your own?

Is it possible to make your own M95 Mask? I have many i have collect over time but they will not last. Does anyone have any tips to share.
I was thinking using Socks.
Thoughts?
Old 03-30-2020, 08:14 AM
Dog Whisperer

Although I have some N95 masks, I'm trying to come up with a decent alternative should I ever need one (two is one, one is none).

I ordered a homemade mask with a filter pocket from Etsy. I'm starting my filter experiment with a coffee filter..... I'm curious if folks have a better suggestion of what to put in the filter pocket when real filters aren't available to us.
The Following User Says Thank You to TobyDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 08:55 AM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,882 Times in 2,226 Posts
Default How MyPillow founder switched over his factory to make medical gear

How MyPillow founder switched over his factory to make medical gear

Old 03-30-2020, 09:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,077 Times in 5,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
How MyPillow founder switched over his factory to make medical gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwIt...ature=youtu.be
I always thought he was one of the good guys. Glad to see I wasn't wrong.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to willow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 09:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,415 Times in 2,075 Posts

Saw on PBS(I know)the company that makes the official MLB uniforms doing the same,masks and gowns,The showed Yankke pinstripes as an example...gaaaaagggg.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 09:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,122 Posts

I see a couple of his pillows in my future. Good job.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 10:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,730 Posts

I saw a photo of some people shopping wearing maxi pads over their nose. From what I have read, the mask is more to keep the virus from spreading. If you have the disease you should wear a mask. If you don't then it isn't much use. I think the main comfort from the mask is psychological. I remember watching farmworkers spraying vineyards, most had the wrong mask and few were wearing their mask correctly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:24 PM

I have some of these and have wondered about adding a sheet between layers if making masks at home becomes necessary. Anyone have thoughts?
They're found on amazon and already have them for other uses.

Charcoal Dry Wipes, Facial Soft Cleansing Wipes, Multi-purpose for Facial Skin Care and Makeup Removing 2 Pack
Closed Thread