Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-29-2020, 03:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,200 Times in 2,092 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Skinner View Post
Many of the threads here are about bugging out.

People have

- Bug Out Vehicles

- Bug Out Bags

- Bug Out Locations

But now it's suddenly WRONG for New Yorkers to Bug Out?

Meanwhile it's OK for those of us on the green screens to Bug Out

if we feel we need to?
This is one of the many reasons bugging out is far at the bottom of the list of my options. I've always been concerned about the feasibility of it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 03:20 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 23,566 Times in 6,383 Posts

Quote:
People have
- Bug Out Vehicles
- Bug Out Bags
- Bug Out Locations

if we feel we need to?
My BOL is about 20 miles from me and in the middle of a swamp with not another living souls around for miles. Not to another state where there are possibly thousands if not millions of infected people.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 03:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,141 Times in 3,031 Posts

Bugging out is a poor choice unless you have a place to go to. Those folks that think that they can strap on a bug out bag and go live off the land are kidding themselves. Folks come to the mountains in the fall and shoot a deer or elk and think this is easy have never been in the mtns in the winter. Yes people can do it, but they know what they are doing. Buying all the kit even the very best of everything doesn't make you knowledgable.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
Bugging out is a poor choice unless you have a place to go to. Those folks that think that they can strap on a bug out bag and go live off the land are kidding themselves. Folks come to the mountains in the fall and shoot a deer or elk and think this is easy have never been in the mtns in the winter. Yes people can do it, but they know what they are doing. Buying all the kit even the very best of everything doesn't make you knowledgable.
This is not always true, I know for a fact that I can do it. I already have sometimes on purpose and other times through no choice of my own.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 07:48 AM
Have gun, Will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneLynn View Post
They don't want to die of covid-19. New York is thoroughly infested. I don't have a home in another state or money to stay in hotels for months, but a lot of New Yorkers do. Trump has decided not to quarantine New York now so expect New Yorkers to come to your states. I think Trump is making a mistake.
And you think the people here want to die or get infected?
It's everybody's responsibility to shelter in place not go running around
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny redhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 07:53 AM
Have gun, Will travel

Quote:
People have
- Bug Out Vehicles
- Bug Out Bags
- Bug Out Locations

if we feel we need to?
There's a difference between having a BOL and loading up the camper or renting a motel room or worst yet just heading North.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny redhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 08:02 AM
The Legendary

They really should put road blocks up to stop anything that’s not a trucker delivering goods from coming or going around New York.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colty045 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 09:51 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,879 Times in 824 Posts

Right now it's really just a "Golden Trickle", a true mass migration would require the loss of electricity and an overwhelming of law enforcement. Thus far, that really hasn't happened.

Here in sw Colorado our chamber of commerce posted a notice on their website that said, "We all love Pagosa, but out-staters please stay home." We have a lot of seasonal homes owned by folks mainly from Texas and Oklahoma so I am sure that in some of those instances this is their BOL. Our motel traffic has dropped to virtually nothing since they closed Wolf Creek Ski Area, the restaurants are closed except for take out, and there isn't a bar in town that's open. Summer is when we usually get inundated with tourists. Good for our finances, but bad with the virus.

Grocery stores are still busy including Walmart.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichardinColorado For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 09:54 AM
Hunter

When you live at your BOL, the bag in the back of the SUV is called a GHB (Get Home Bag.)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RichardinColorado For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 10:02 AM
Have gun, Will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinColorado View Post
When you live at your BOL, the bag in the back of the SUV is called a GHB (Get Home Bag.)
My thoughts exactly. Lived at our BOL for thirty years!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny redhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 10:22 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny redhorse View Post
My thoughts exactly. Lived at our BOL for thirty years!
Before I leave on a trip, I explore the best possible ways to walk home if needed. A couple of years ago I had to go to a conference in Nashville, TN. That was, by far, the longest walking route I had to consider. Things to seriously consider:

1. Avoid communities of any size, but larger ones like the plague.

2. Make sure there is some kind of water source within a day's walk on your way home. (Especially difficult as I planned a walking route from my daughter's house in Lubbock to my home in Pagosa Springs, Colorado.). Don't be afraid to take a longer route home if there is a regularly available water source by doing so. Better to take your time than die of thirst. Always, always, always carry water filtering devices and make them redundant. (I have a Vario filter with an extra filter, and at least two Survival Straws.)

3. Use abandoned railroad beds whenever available. As regular railroad tracks often parallel highways, it's always good to walk on the other side of the railroad berm away from the highway.

4. Carry at least two weeks worth of food that is easy to prepare and light to carry (MRE's or backpacker food.)

5. Be sure to locate (on Google Earth) where out-of-the-way bridges cross rivers you need to cross as main highways are likely sites for ambushes/government road blocks. Swim if you have to.

6. Never, never, never cross any Interstate Highway or bridge during daylight hours and if possible, do most of your walking at night. Sleep during the day.

7. Always carry both on your person and in your car when making any trip. (I usually conceal carry my Sig 380, have my Sig 9mm in a lock box under the driver's seat, and a Ruger 10/22 in the back of the SUV.)

If the good Lord is gracious, I'll never have to use them, but better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them. And yes, I take a good deal of ribbing from my wife about it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RichardinColorado For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 10:33 AM
The Power of the Glave

Thanked 7,593 Times in 1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
I have to chuckle at all these Jedidiah Smith-wannabies. Who watched "Jeremiah Johnson" a couple of times and now think they are are experienced Mountain Men.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zooeyhll For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 10:41 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeyhll View Post
I have to chuckle at all these Jedidiah Smith-wannabies. Who watched "Jeremiah Johnson" a couple of times and now think they are are experienced Mountain Men.
Absolutely true! Very few people could survive on the land. If you must leave, take your own food with you. Another helpful item is a set of wire traps. They hunt while you're sleeping, but you had better learn how to use them before you need them. You've got to learn to spot wildlife trails and how to properly set a trap for the animals you want to catch. The Ruger 10/22 is for small game (squirrels, rattle snakes, and two-legged varmints if needed (always go for the head shot with a 22, and keep firing! If that doesn't stop them, then the 9mm comes out. Of course, you should always carry extra magazines as well. The only issue is that ammo is heavy!)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichardinColorado For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 12:41 PM
Trapper

Thanked 2,190 Times in 601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost863 View Post
This is not always true, I know for a fact that I can do it. I already have sometimes on purpose and other times through no choice of my own.
But were you competing with the other half of the population who plan to do the same?

Not saying impossible.. but certainly not for everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr4btTahoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 01:09 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,294 Times in 420 Posts
Default Can't get a moments peace

My wife, kids and I went out to a nearby river to do a little fishing and to take one of the dirt roads that the forest rangers use to get around up to some secluded areas this weekend.

The road up to the gravel turn off was practically bare. Didnt pass or see many people. As soon as we turn down this road it was a car every other second. Now there is also a primitive camping area there and the 25 car parking lot was slam packed.

There were cars lined up from the site all the way down (about a quarter mile) to the river. Most of them were pretty dang nice cars you wouldn't expect on a hardly maintained dirt/gravel road.

There were beer cans and cigarette butts and food wrappers everywhere. It was disgraceful. Well we pushed past the river up to the trails and, lo and behold, it was like i was sitting in traffic. There were so many cars my wife and I turned around and left. I have been to that place dozens of times and i have never seen so many people there.

Its like that everywhere in South Carolina. Everywhere is constantly packed here latley.

TLDR: there are too many people out of work, loitering at places they typically wouldn't be.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to NickB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
But were you competing with the other half of the population who plan to do the same?

Not saying impossible.. but certainly not for everyone.
actually it would not be hard to do here in Florida or even in Louisiana or southern Georgia for that matter. All one would have to do is go deep in the heart of the swamp if they knew what they were doing. The swamp will weed out the true survivalist and absolutely destroy the Wanna-be's. If you do not know what you are doing out in the wild, the swamp will kill you. It is unforgiving, it is not prejudice, it does not care how much money you have, or what you girlfriend looks like. So yes I think I would fair just fine against the Golden Horde. I grew up in this environment, so I feel at home there.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 01:48 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,104 Times in 376 Posts

To me, there's a difference between bugging out to the woods or somewhere you have no ties to vs. going to a second/summer home.

While I don't want lots of people who may or may not be carriers coming near me, I am also wary of setting a precedent of restricting travel...especially travel of people going to a place they own (and pay taxes on).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cooper30 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 02:08 PM
Have gun, Will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper30 View Post
To me, there's a difference between bugging out to the woods or somewhere you have no ties to vs. going to a second/summer home.

While I don't want lots of people who may or may not be carriers coming near me, I am also wary of setting a precedent of restricting travel...especially travel of people going to a place they own (and pay taxes on).
My thoughts exactly, if you don't have a place to go,,STAY WHERE YOU ARE!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnny redhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 02:15 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 61,426 Times in 13,837 Posts

The northern Utah back country is still under snow along with all the campgrounds. Southern Utah is spring-like heading for 70s and 80s but the parks are closed. The ski tourists have all gone home or stayed home so the mountain valleys have mostly natives going about their business of spring prep and such. It's how I wish it was all the time.

I don't see any golden horde coming this way anytime soon. Nothing here for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 04:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,006 Times in 2,812 Posts

Closest that I ever came to bugging out is a GHB. Now that isnt even a concern. I have a fall back a days walk away. Ready and pre-stocked.