Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-27-2020, 01:27 PM
Optimist

Advertise Here

Interesting thread. Bugging out, for prepper types most usually have stuff at their BOL to self isolate. Isn't that the reason too bug out?

It brings to mind two scenarios that I'll use:

1. Panic in year Zero. Family goes to small rural community to gather supplies. The protagonist gets everything he'll need to survive. Doesn't say why, just makes stuff up. Gets the usual food, guns and etc. Some of the news stories I've seen echoes this. People coming to rural areas not equipped to handle the influx because these home for the wealthy are usually summer retreats and the local population plans for that.

2. World War Z. A chapter tells of folks fleeing north (zombies freeze don't ya know). At first everyone chips in but soon supplies run out, Idiots with guns hunt all available wild game. Barter system, violent crime, cannibalism and etc. I don't really seeing it get that bad but again an influx of people that think bugging out only requires somewhere to go. When those running for the hills run out of supplies and strip everything from the surronding things could indeed become ugly.

Yes both are fiction but in some cases art imitates life and can hint at some things we need to consider.

IMHO
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Edward4576 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 01:34 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
Large hospitals are already getting slammed, with people stacking up untreated and resources overwhelmed. By heading for a small, distant place the guy increased his chances of getting care and maybe even put on a ventilator that would save his life.
Do you honestly think this ding dong was thinking along those lines? I am thinking it was more along the lines of, "Duh, I'm getting da heck ahda here!"

Either way, the guy knew he was sick and corona or not is spreading it around like an ass. I am in favor of him getting the hammer!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BCseacow83 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 01:43 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 61,430 Times in 13,838 Posts
Default Some parts are edible

Quote:
Originally Posted by biathlon View Post
Just wait till summer. The forests and wilderness areas will be packed with folks from all across the nation.
I wonder where they expect to re-supply.

====

In my area we just got done with a winter storm that brought snow. 9" in the valley, 3 feet in the high country. Nobody's camping up here. The desert's nice in the spring though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 01:50 PM
Prepared

If your BOL is actually owned by you, and it should be if you really plan to go there, and is the same state I would change my address to the BOL. This would give you an advantage if stopped by local LEO's. Being able to show ID with the address may get you a pass at a roadblock.

I understand if some would never want ID with their BOL but it is an option with one advantage.

If you own a "vacation" property this hammers home the importance, IMO, of ingratiating your self with the local community. If people recognize you, and better yet actually like you, there is less chance of being identified as an evil big city squatter.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BCseacow83 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
I wonder where they expect to re-supply.

====

In my area we just got done with a winter storm that brought snow. 9" in the valley, 3 feet in the high country. Nobody's camping up here. The desert's nice in the spring though.
I am kind of wishing for something along the lines of the "Blizzard of '49". Okay, maybe not quite that bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to 81eagle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 02:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 20,063 Times in 6,001 Posts

Pretty soon the locals will start ransacking the BOLs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 02:32 PM
Have gun, Will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
A man and his son = Golden horde ... ok
Villager to Noah " It's only a sun shower"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny redhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 02:37 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 23,567 Times in 6,383 Posts

Quote:
Maybe not but a man and his son plus his wife and 14 daughters. Oh and let's not forget his mother and father all of his cousins his next door neighbors the people he is on the bowling league with. And then his son's little league team plus all of their families, The church congregation that he is a member of. So you see how this is going to go? it is not just going to be a man and his son.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 01:34 AM
Lost in the Woods

Thanked 1,787 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog67 View Post
I'm surprised we haven't seen stories of small towns blocking off roadways with vehicles to keep the outsiders from coming in or small business with signs on the door "locals only."

If I lived in a small town in the middle of nowhere, I'd be talking with my neighbors about ensuring the virus never came to town.
Well this started about a week or more ago: https://www.obxtoday.com/coronavirus...wners-tonight/

In a real interesting case first go back to the Spanish flu of 1918 and Gunnison, CO:https://www.gunnisontimes.com/conten...at-influenza-0

Fast forward to today, Gunnison is doing some interesting things. They certainly take the cake for something unique by banning anyone 60 and over from attending events: https://www.westword.com/restaurants...rants-11665485
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fastowl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 04:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,093 Times in 4,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I wouldn't.

That's why you buy a parcel of land big enough vs a city lot.
Thanks - Already did am there now.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 04:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,093 Times in 4,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural Buckeye Guy View Post
Drobs, thank you for that natural selection thought. Ever heard of *plague holes*? Its a 3rd world concept. Rural areas dig big trenches outside towns and clear piles of brush. During pandemics, as the refugees from the cities flee them and die on the roadside, they are collected and rolled into the ditch. At a certain level the brush is piled in and ignited, then fed for hours. The objective is to build up coals that consume the rendered fat and micro-organisms from the bodies. It happens as often as needs be, often with multiple holes. When the pandemic burns out, the holes are filled in, if needed or still even open.

We might see those, eventually, stateside....again. They were common here in the 19th C. So, flee the cities, backhoes are great diggers....
When the neighborhood catches on fire - everyone will be bugging out.
Fire is one of the major reasons you don't want to live in the city / suburbia.

Fire is also a big negative living rural. Controlled burns frequently get out of control.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 10:52 AM
Basket of deplorables

Thanked 5,289 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCseacow83 View Post
If your BOL is actually owned by you, and it should be if you really plan to go there, and is the same state I would change my address to the BOL. This would give you an advantage if stopped by local LEO's. Being able to show ID with the address may get you a pass at a roadblock.

I understand if some would never want ID with their BOL but it is an option with one advantage.

If you own a "vacation" property this hammers home the importance, IMO, of ingratiating your self with the local community. If people recognize you, and better yet actually like you, there is less chance of being identified as an evil big city squatter.
You made a great point there that I was thinking about two days ago with having a plan in order. I fit into this category and have long ago used it in part for that reasoning. I can offer up a decent solution to the exact address issue: Get a post box and have that on your license if your state allows it. Many rural areas just utilize a post box because the mail carriers won't travel on all those private dirt roads. It would just take too long to deliver the mail. Most folks that do this sort of thing often grew up in those areas or are a familiar face just by going to your retreat/second home whatever you wish to call it. Having a mobile phone with the same area code and registering your vehicle(s) there can help a lot too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 11:08 AM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 9,036 Times in 3,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim from 28DaysLater View Post
Forget the USA having its own border wall--

Each individual state should have its own border wall!

I mean that seriously!

And you know what else-- In Europe, it used to be normal for cities to be walled. Or even built on the top of a hill.

Now we've completely lost our sense. Too late!
"... and just like that, the idea of completely enclosed neighborhoods was embraced, as the nation started converting to DUAL RING VILLAGES, gated and secure."

= = = =
What Is a Dual Ring Village?

. . . It is a large circular structure that can be configured with apartments, businesses, offices, gardens, and other functions, while providing intrinsic security and disaster resistance, at reduced cost.

Imagine a line of buildings, 4-5 stories tall, with businesses on the ground floor and apartments above - not unlike 1890 urban cities before the automobile. Wrap the line into a circle. Do it again. Two ring buildings, separated by a ring street, and surrounding a central park. Construct the exterior wall as a sturdy barrier, to mitigate natural disasters.

The characteristics that distinguish the Ring Village from other forms of high population density mixed use development / housing are:

1. Continuous rings (doughnut in a doughnut)

2. Stacked continuous balconies (movement around, as well as up /down)

3. Central park (for fun, recreation, nature preserve, corral or whatever)

4. Ground level reserved for enterprise, socializing, sidewalk cafes, public access

5. Upper levels reserved for homes and small offices

6. Single [watertight] gateway on each ring to control access (security option)

7. Close proximity to resources, parkland, social contact, and vocation

8. Ring street between the dual ring buildings (can’t get lost)

9. Rooftop gardens and balcony planters, to add more greenery, and

10. Engineered to eliminate the petty nuisances normally attributed to high density construction.

A city composed of multiple DRVs has redundant security and resilience in the event of a natural disaster.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jetgraphics For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 04:23 PM
Have gun, Will travel

Quote:
ORONO – A group in Maine is tracking who is traveling up Interstate 95 into the northern part of the state in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.

Members of Down East Emergency Medicine Institute are counting the license plates of folks driving north on I-95 past the Kelly Road every day at around 4:45 p.m.

“We’re seeing large increases in the populations of Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and one particular day before New York was locked down, we saw a large surge of people who came out of New York,” DEEMI Executive Director Richard Bowie said Wednesday. “This is concerning to us because of the infected folk that are coming from New York City that have been infected that are then traveling up here to find someplace of respite up in the woods.”

He added, “We’re seeing, you know, RVs, and campers and people’s cars loaded with camping gear. It’s very early in the year for that to be happening.”

New York is a hot spot for coronavirus with nearly 16,000 confirmed cases and 192 deaths as of Wednesday morning. Massachusetts has nearly 1,200 cases and 25 deaths as of Tuesday.

Governors in both states have issued stay-at-home advisories in response to the ongoing coronavirus crisis. The New York Times is reporting residents of the city of 8.6 million are fleeing.

“Massachusetts cars coming to Maine at 32 cars per hour, loaded with people,” Bowie said. “That could be as many as 100 people an hour, all day long. That’s 2,000 people a day from Massachusetts alone that are entering Maine.”

Bowie said the DEEMI sample is just one unofficial source of data and doesn’t include all the people entering the state.

“We should see surges in both Massachusetts and New York tags coming into Maine because once they lock down New York, which they’ve partially done now … I bet you’ll see, just like they saw in Italy, people will be fleeing and if that happens we’ll see a massive number of people pushing into Maine,” he said.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Johnny redhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 04:27 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost863 View Post
Maybe not but a man and his son plus his wife and 14 daughters. Oh and let's not forget his mother and father all of his cousins his next door neighbors the people he is on the bowling league with. And then his son's little league team plus all of their families, The church congregation that he is a member of. So you see how this is going to go? it is not just going to be a man and his son.
So...basically no big deal right?
The Following User Says Thank You to BCseacow83 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 04:30 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 23,567 Times in 6,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCseacow83 View Post
So...basically no big deal right?
no big deal if you have enough weapons and ammo Wait, I can't own firearms I guess I'm Screwed
Old 03-28-2020, 05:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,193 Posts

I'm a New Yorker. I'm staying in New York, but many have fled for the Southern states and the Heartland. You can't blame them. There is a real problem here. I live in a New York suburb, not in New York City. Almost every case we had in my county in the beginning was someone who recently spent time in NYC and now the spread is bad. Plus a lot of people traveled from New York for the Mardi Gras in New Orleans and spring break in Florida, where they mingled with people in other states. They probably should have locked down interstate travel earlier, as it's likely already too late now. Now New York has over 52,000 positives cases and almost 800 dead. The situation gets worse every day.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JeanneLynn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 06:34 PM
Have gun, Will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneLynn View Post
I'm a New Yorker. I'm staying in New York, but many have fled for the Southern states and the Heartland. You can't blame them. There is a real problem here. I live in a New York suburb, not in New York City. Almost every case we had in my county in the beginning was someone who recently spent time in NYC and now the spread is bad. Plus a lot of people traveled from New York for the Mardi Gras in New Orleans and spring break in Florida, where they mingled with people in other states. They probably should have locked down interstate travel earlier, as it's likely already too late now. Now New York has over 52,000 positives cases and almost 800 dead. The situation gets worse every day.
PLEASE tell me why we CAN'T blame them?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Johnny redhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 07:39 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 14,680 Times in 6,304 Posts

There are no homes to rent in my County. NYC people have rented them all as well as many traveling here to the homes and condos they own as second homes.
NY plates are everywhere.
I guess they didn't want to shelter in place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 07:50 PM
Ultranationalist

Thanked 49,956 Times in 10,481 Posts

Florida Governor has set up checkpoints at he state line on the interstates. They’re intercepting people from Kalifornia, New York, New Jersey and Louisiana and asking them to either turn back or submit to a two week quarantine.

Trump is talking about putting a statewide quarantine on New York, New Jersey and Kalifornia.

People from over an hour away are driving to my little, rural town to raid our general stores for canned goods, water, TP and other goodies that they can’t find in their stores.

Looks like the boogaloo is coming! Time to “sporky”.

(**** pants or rooftop Korean, yolo)