Survivalist Forum banner

My Dilemma

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  BOHICA6 
#1 ·
OK Kids here is my dilemma and I could use some advice;

I own a stainless Mini-14 Pre-186, Love it - Mags (Ruger mags) are expensive but never fail me)

I also own a Rock River Arms LAR-15 lower. Im torn into figuring out which one to invest in? The Mini has never been on a ban list, Im goint to have to buy the upper for the RRA a piece at a time, and with the elections coming up...

There is the rub. Any advice? I was debating on rebarreling the mini-with a blue barrel so it wouldn't burn out. As a gunsmith I've never re-barelled a mini and all my gunsmith friends are on the fence on that project.

Help- Im running out of hair.

#2 ·
Unless your barrel is shot out, I would not worry about rebarreling.
Remember, if the SHTF, there will be plenty of discarded weapons around, left by users that were not as competent as thier adviseries.
Keep the "lower" as spare parts for some of those discarded rifles.
Put your money into 1 project at a time, finish that project, and then concider a new upper for your parts gun.
The good thing about all of this, is you are stocking ammo for the same caliber.
You mentioned a ban.
Remember all those "Banned" rifles?
That was only for sale and import as new, unless you were LE.
Even if they do ban any type of rifle, are you really going to turn yours in?
Let me restate that, you don't have a rifle, it is parts, until you finish it.
Just a bit of food for thought.

#4 ·
I have a RRA and i love it. I have had EVERY type of AR except the Bushy but Kev and my friend Cliff both have BushMasters. The only problem with both are the ammo has gotten so freakin expensive. Either the RRA or the Bushy would be the only 2 AR15 i would look at. Armalite is junk, the Olyarms i had was JUNK and the DPMS was ok but ultimatly i was not impressed with it. Mini14 is a nice rifle but i would go with a AR15 any day. more mods and for the same price you can get a AR.

#6 ·
I would not worry about rebarrling the mini, unless you have just shot tens of thousands of rounds through it.

The mini is in full working condition? If it is, I would get that AR up and going.

Years ago, there used to be some ar-15 and mini-14 magazines on the market. The same magazine would work in either rifle. I had one years ago, bur have since lost it. You still might be able to find some of these ar15/mini-14 magazines at the guns shows. If you run across some, I suggest picking a couple of them up.

#8 ·
Kev suggested
Years ago, there used to be some ar-15 and mini-14 magazines on the market. The same magazine would work in either rifle. I had one years ago, bur have since lost it. You still might be able to find some of these ar15/mini-14 magazines at the guns shows. If you run across some, I suggest picking a couple of them up.

RamLine Magazine Mini 14/Ar15 combo mags are wht they were called here is a link and picture
http://www.sell.com/22GD2B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.