In-Car Bug Out Bag - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-31-2019, 09:12 PM

Default In-Car Bug Out Bag

Advertise Here

I was reading a book called "Point of Impact," about a nuke hitting NYC, Chicago, and Miami (so far), and the lead character had to leave her bug-out bag, and that made me think about what I would need in such a thing to take care of one person for roughly 3 days.

I was thinking which bag would work best, plus what to stock in it.

So far, I have my ILBE II day pack, but maybe something with compartments?

I'm thinking I'd put at least:
-1 life straw
-ration cubes
-klean kanteen
-space blanket
-kabar knife
-flint fire starter and a bic lighter

What else might be useful that I might be missing from that list?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to JJ1701 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 10:26 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 35,495 Times in 9,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1701 View Post
I was reading a book called "Point of Impact," about a nuke hitting NYC, Chicago, and Miami (so far), and the lead character had to leave her bug-out bag, and that made me think about what I would need in such a thing to take care of one person for roughly 3 days.

I was thinking which bag would work best, plus what to stock in it.

So far, I have my ILBE II day pack, but maybe something with compartments?

I'm thinking I'd put at least:
-1 life straw
-ration cubes
-klean kanteen
-space blanket
-kabar knife
-flint fire starter and a bic lighter

I refer to this as a vehicle bob.
2 L Hydration Bag, Eureka Tent, Nylon Poncho & Liner, Foam Pad, Boots, Jacket, Ruger SP101, Carbine, Shakspeare UL Spin/Reel, Tackle, 10 day Food Pail, Canteens, Flashlight, Filter Straw, Head Net, Deet, Compass, Toilet Paper, Tooth Brush, Mirror, Sizzors, Clippers, Lighter, First Aid, Cell Phone, Wallet, Cash, Keys
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 10:41 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,007 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

First Aid kit
Paracord
Change of clothes (if yours get wet, you'll want something dry to put on)
Extra socks (I prefer Merino wool - keep their insulating value even when wet. Fairly thick, to help protect against blisters
MOLESKIN!
Shoes/boots you can actually WALK long distance in
Light jacket w/hood (preferably waterproof, or water resistant), or a Jacket and a hat (or, a jacket w/hood AND a wool or fleece watch cap)
Compact cookstove (think Esbit stove w/fuel cubes or alcohol burner)
Flashlight and extra batteries (store batteries separately, not in the flashlight, to protect against battery leaks)
The Following User Says Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 11:00 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 71,118 Times in 21,475 Posts

I call mine a "Get Home Bag".

Goretex Bivvy bag. Poncho, nylon tarp, 1 liter Guyot SS water bottle and nesting ss canteen cup, knife/fork/spoon, water key, Sawyer mini filter, small First aid kit with iodine and salt, moleskin, band aids, gauze, duct tape, eyewash cup, tweezers, needle, manicuring scissors, alcohol prep pads, benzalkonium pads, butterfly closures, triple antibiotic ointment, Benedryl tablets, naproxin . Alum block for chafing, toothbrush, dental floss, silva ranger compass with mirror, head lamp, DEET, headnet, baseball cap, gloves, wool socks, spare drawers, mini fishing kit, roll of bankline, Datrex Ration blocks, water proof container with coffee, tea, sugar, MRE peanut butter, instant oatmeal, Fixed blade Knife (Matt graham's Jungle Primitive or Kabar), bic lighter, ferro rod, small am/fm radio with ear buds. TP, wet wipes. Rebar multi-tool, inflatable pillow, .22 target pistol which might stay with the vehicle. Bandana, nasal spray, small bottle of vinegar, small bottle of baking soda. small bottle of shampoo.

My EDC includes a Buff, cell phone, spare power supply, charger cord, pocket knife (Kershaw Al-Mar or Kershaw classic or Kabar Dozier), midnight minichamp small multitool, Gerber Artifact, keys, comb, wallet, pen, small memo pad.

Doesn't get that cold in Houston, so no blanket or sleeping bag usually. Just the Goretex Bivvy should suffice.
A bug proof hammock would be the next thing to add, but tried to keep it from getting too heavy.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 12:20 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 26,075 Times in 9,369 Posts

Add Gloves and a few bandannas. A needle or 2 and some dental floss to sew with. Three 3600 cal Datrex bars and a jar of peanut butter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 12:57 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 14,128 Times in 4,539 Posts

A multi-tool. We live in a world of nuts and bolts, screws and wires.

And most importantly of all. A headlamp.

A Sawyer mini is superior to a life straw in every way.

There is a lot you could add, it just depends on how comprehensive of a bad you are trying to build.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1701 View Post
WHAT DO I PUT IN A BUGOUT BAG FOR POST NUCLEAR ESCAPE FROM MAJOR US CITY AND LIVE FOR 3 days???
Water, honey, coffee and such drugs (such as stimualants, suppressants, antiinfamatories, etc..) (salts, potassium eg. sodium iodine, postasium iodine, sodium chorlide, multivitamins, zinc/magnessium)

I'd throw in some protein powder currently my flavour is tripple chocolate. Maybe some halls/gum etc.. extra pair of socks, sun scream, sunglasses/welding goggles. GLOVES multitool disposable rain clothing / airfilter/gasmask/particlefilters such as n99/n95 face coverings. I'd do full on cold/wet ECWS pants/parka poly liner , some cloth to clean off sweat there are ones that can be wrung out and reused.... toilet paper, baking soda, some beach, some snacks you like that will be a source of carbs, ids etc. sartphone with some music and a charger for it. topo map of the evac route, good pair of hiking books

firestarters may be helpful but you may have a lot of wildfires to draw from too

Some of my intiial thoughts

All I can say is if major US city gets nuked, good luck, 1. shelter in the best concrete structure that is available for atleast 3 days before moving unless you are in an area with radiation. Plan for alonger stay. You can survive a week or longer with water if you are not active.

A good sleeping bag, some water, and nutrition/multivitamins etc.. to keep you heathy for when you do need to move can be good,. Your body can tap your stored energy high fat energy source but you will feel sick while your body adjusts to low carb intake.

Again if your local area gets hit by a nuke if you can shield yourself from Radiation, sheltering in place can be better than attempting to "Escape" especially since most nuclear strike scenarios will involve most of the US not just one city. Running off into the unknown in a nuclear scneario can worse than staying put.

If you expect a second round of nuclear strikes though then escaping ight make sense, but if the strategi point was destroyed by the first strike you ight be safe to shelter in place.

leave your vehicle way outside the city if you actualy want to use it.

hat can be good.

just bear in mind that 3 day kit is pretty much nothing.. 3 days is survivable napping/ sleeping bag/blankee.

some type of smartphone with FM radio chip on it, or a standalone may be useful to see if all civilization is gone or if there is releif orgaization/occupation information. If there is shooting ongoing I'd wait until the shooting dies down.

BIg reason to be moving post an attack is 1. fire 2. radiation 3. unstable building.

The bag may be useufl in getting you to a stable concrete building.
The Following User Says Thank You to William Ashley For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 05:40 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 15,831 Times in 8,399 Posts

I generally start with a decent set of clothing and decent wet weather gear Because that is possibly the most versatile. In that I can probably find somewhere to sleep without needing a tent or something. Sleep in a toilet or a culvert or something. Otherwise if I am walking I am afforded some protection while I do that and so can walk further.

Then I would go a torch or headlamp so that I dont just walk around in circles bumping in to things.(get run over by the next guy on the road)

Then water. And as much cash as I can pack.

Then probably a little radio because then I would have an idea what is going on.

Then food.

Then the more common shelter, ninja knives, and so on.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,351 Times in 4,318 Posts

The nice thing about a vehicle is cargo space. Aside from my pack, I always keep at least a full case of bottled water and a couple of wool blankets. Depending on your location and situation, I have also kept an inexpensive firearm and extra ammo (including ammo for my CCW); maybe a little extreme or too risky for some, but it's an option.

The key is keeping your vehicle mobile (extra fuel, key spare parts/tools) which means keeping it filled up with fuel and maintained. Self-recovery capabilities are not a bad option to consider either. As with anything, your home, work place, or vehicle, there's always the chance it no longer becomes a feasible option...always be prepared to go on foot as the lowest common denominator for bugging anywhere. It's not the best choice, but will establish the basics and make other options much more attractive in you planning.

ROCK6
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 08:20 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 9,015 Times in 3,451 Posts

I agree with Rock6
A good dependable well maintained vehicle.
You should always keep the fuel tank at least 3/4 full all the time.
At least one fuel container... if you canít keep it stored with fuel...at least an empty container comes in handy when obtaining extra fuel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 09:01 AM
Hiker

Lot of good suggestions. I would add maps. City, County, State maps. Preferably laminated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hiker72 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 12:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,022 Posts
Default emergency carry

Today I will drive 4 miles on a 2-lane road. Outside temp is currently 20 degrees with a forcasted high today of 45. Will wear long jons, jeans, warm coat. Carry fanny pack with 7 zippered pouches containing one tourniquet, pkg of Celox, Neosporin, several bandaids, sweat band, 2 paper towels, Streamlight tactical flashlight and 2 extra batteries, Swiss Army knife, a canteen which I would re-fill at farm houses along the way, whistle, two lighters, extra blood thinner, ibuprufen, $20, and a 9mm Shield with 2 extra mags. I always carry a topo atlas in my car so if I had to walk, I would tear out the page of my area, and fold it for my coat pocket. I carry one collapsable hiking stick, and 3 Clif bars. I know the area where I would travel, avoiding most roads.

If, in the winter, I travel over 75 miles, I carry a Cabela's day pack which has a capacity of 2500 cubic inches in its many pouches. In most cases I could survive for 96 hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Idaho Survivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 04:23 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 80,486 Times in 32,268 Posts

Wifey's XJ --

Old 11-01-2019, 04:30 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 42,864 Times in 13,239 Posts

A bug out bag only works if you don't leave it behind when you bug out. If you want to be certain you always have a few items, you need to go minimal and carry it on your person 24/7. I hear fanny packs are making a comeback.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 06:31 PM
Target Shooter

This is a great thread, thanks to all!
Old 11-01-2019, 07:36 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 15,831 Times in 8,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
A bug out bag only works if you don't leave it behind when you bug out. If you want to be certain you always have a few items, you need to go minimal and carry it on your person 24/7. I hear fanny packs are making a comeback.
Man bags.............
Old 11-01-2019, 07:56 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 26,075 Times in 9,369 Posts

If I travel far in the winter or the roads are really nasty I put my military duffel bag in the truck. Full winter stuff like tarp, space blanket, sleeping bag, extra: coat, clothes, long jons, boots, socks, gloves, hat, candles, food.... never needed it but it makes me better about being stuck somewhere and having to worry about being cold.

+1 for a well maintained rig with some extra parts and tools. I keep a Chiltion book for the wiring diagram with some wire, a VOM, some tape, extra bulbs, head lamp, extra filters -air and fuel. Plug kit with a can of glue and a small air compressor, chains for tries and to pull with.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 08:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,022 Posts
Default EDC

Stopped at a grocery to buy Clif 20 gram protein bars for EDC. I asked the 20 something clerk if she had an EDC. She did. Asked her if she had a gun in it. "It's in storage." Sounds like a reply given Nutn'Fancy when he asked a young guy in a gun shop if he had his EDC on him. Yes, was the reply. Do you have a gun. Yes--a .45. Where is it. In my truck. Too many folks out there like those two.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:49 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 71,118 Times in 21,475 Posts

For the car EDC, a moving blanket is multi purpose.
Nice padding if you need to kneel to change a tire.
Ad-Hoc blanket if stuck in a blizzard.
Sleeping pad.
Throw it over the bag, keeps it out of site.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2019, 09:54 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,040 Times in 620 Posts

First. A 6pack cooler works well to protect your bob. I keep peanut butter in my kit. Very calorie dense and processing protein will warm your body naturaly. I also include an Altoid tin fishing kit because my area is loaded with creeks and i might get stuck out longer.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicktide For This Useful Post: