Lentils vs. beans - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 10-24-2019, 11:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,111 Times in 740 Posts
Default Lentils vs. beans

Advertise Here

The common wisdom of LTS food is that beans need to be a staple due to their long shelf life (5+ years), and high amounts of protein and carbohydrates. Unfortunately, they require a lot of time to soak, and often a long time to cook. That means time and fuel spent cooking instead of anything else that would need to be done in a situation requiring you to live off of your stockpile.

Lentils on the other hand have similar amounts of protein and carbs, higher fiber, and a few micronutrients most beans lack. AND they can be cooked in 15 minutes, although they're still better if you presoak them IMHO. The only downside I can see is that the only shelf life information I can find is around 3 years. Which is still perfectly fine for 99.9999% of the people who maintain and rotate a stockpile.

Are there any other positives or negatives of lentils over beans? I haven't seen them promoted much as a LTS food option.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AlphaSierraCharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 12:11 AM
Prepared

I haven't seen anything about their shelf life. They are legumes, as are beans. They are also called pulses. I have some lentils because of the low cooking time. Black beans also do not take as long to cook, but probably more time than lentils.

There are a variety of lentils. There is a brown variety that is sold in most grocery stores in America. There is a red split lentil that is used to make a variety of Indian dal. It too does not take long to cook. If you can find Indian grocery stores, you will see that there are a variety of legumes that are used for making dal. Make some dal, basmati rice and some Indian flat bread from your wheat and you will have an inexpensive food storage meal, with a little variety from other beans.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to prairiegirl1925 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 01:07 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 2,924 Times in 826 Posts

For the most part, lentils have a healthful nutritional profile, but those who have kidney issues or are prone to calcium-oxalate kidney stones may want to limit lentils in the diet.

https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/len...eys-12272.html

Although I enjoy lentils on a regular basis, I would not want to create any kidney issues by going crazy overboard with this legume.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2019, 02:28 AM
Militant Normal

Thanked 20,092 Times in 6,781 Posts

Didn't know about the kidney stone issue. I'll have to cut back. I like 'em, and the easy cooking is a plus, but I don't want a repeat of last year's stone!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 04:35 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,556 Times in 599 Posts

I eat them occasionally. I just like pintos, black and navy beans as well as most peas better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 07:08 AM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 13,148 Times in 5,754 Posts

I store both, small white beans and lentils.
We also stock chickpeas/garbanzo beans.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roseman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 07:15 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,386 Times in 2,312 Posts

I like and eat a lot of pulses
Mostly black beans and lentils
I have both on hand
Very healthy foods
For me it is not a one or the other deal
Long term, dry beans will become so hard as to be inedible
I do not see a huge advantage here, either way
I believe in not having specialized survival food so
First in and first out will prevent dried-out beans
Soaking beans overnight reduces cooking length
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 08:29 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,005 Times in 953 Posts
Exclamation

I grew up eating pintos and red bean besides the various ones dad grew in the garden more often than lentils.

Wife grew up eating lentils more often than beans.

We’ve moved towards the middle on this to where I tend to cook lentils when cooking over a fire just because they cook so fast.

Throw in some onions, potatoes and carrots and I have a soup I can feed us with in 20 minutes or so.

Nothing wrong with quick and easy!

SD
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SheepDog68 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 08:42 AM
Militant Normal

Add some salt pork or bacon to that! MMMmmmm!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 08:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 23,776 Times in 8,357 Posts

I have eaten lentils stored in a jar, more than 3 years old, they were fine. They are the only bean I prep.

I can't think WHY I would want to spend 6x as long cooking another bean.

I have plenty of spices for variety.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 09:02 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,651 Times in 1,457 Posts

I store and cook them all, but white navy pea beans are my favorite.

For pintos, I store them uncooked for about 3 yrs and then pressure can them for up to 5 more years (my neighbors usually have them gifted to them, and love them!). Navy beans don't make the 3 year uncooked mark cause I love to eat them.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wldwsel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 09:41 AM
Indefatigable

Thanked 42,771 Times in 13,231 Posts

Lucky for us there isn't a bean or pea we don't like and we prep a little bit of all of them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 10:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,211 Posts

Flavor, texture and cost.

Two of my kids are picky eaters, we have beans as part of our meals 3-5 times a week, they will eat bowls and bowls of pintos, navy and great northern beans. They will only eat a spoon full of black beans, kidney beans, split peas, black eyed peas, chick peas, or any type of lentils. I also favor pintos and navy beans over the rest.

We buy pintos, navy and split peas at a semi-local restaurant supply store for $.30-$.50 a pound. I think lentils locally are about $1.50 a pound(they were out of stock at the restaurant supply store so this isn't necessarily a fair price comparison)

With storing pintos I am aware of the risk of them becoming unable to soften when cooked if stored too long. We probably go through 80+ pounds of them a year so I figure it is safe to store a few hundred pounds of them without too much risk of them going bade before we rotate through them.

Cooking time is much longer for pintos. For us that makes them much more of a winter food where the excess heat is welcome. In a SHTF event I have a wood stove for heat, A cooking pot can be put on top of it and used like a slow cooker running all the time. For use in the summer we over night soak 5 pounds of beans then pressure can them into 7 one quart jars. That way when we want to make a meal the beans just need to warm up and it uses very little fuel and doesn't make a hot kitchen hotter by requiring long cook time.

You can also look into hay box cooking to save fuel, I found pinto beans need to be boiled 2 times in the process to get soft enough, then finished on the stove to get the right doneness I like.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 10:23 AM
Golfer

Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,410 Posts

When the pintos get too hard, I guess you can grind them up? Can you reasonably do it in a Corona hand grinder? What's the best way to grind, wet or dry and what do you do with the grinded up beans?
The Following User Says Thank You to puttster For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 10:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
When the pintos get too hard, I guess you can grind them up? Can you reasonably do it in a Corona hand grinder? What's the best way to grind, wet or dry and what do you do with the grinded up beans?
I am not even sure what "hard" means when it comes to old beans. Does it mean "al dente" hard once cooked? Or "rocks that will break teeth" hard once cooked?

If it is al dente hard, I would assume they could be soaked and cooked then ran through a meat grinder to make something like chunky refried beans. I can't imagine grinding dry beans in a wheat grinder would be easy on the person or the grinder.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 12:04 PM
Militant Normal

Pressure cooker will soften them, I'd bet. Like others have posted, no bean lasts long enough around here to get that hard. I also stock brown rice over white, for a dietary reason, and it doesn't last long enough to go bad, either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 12:32 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 2,968 Times in 1,035 Posts

You can pressure can them, or cook them and dehydrate them, store in mylar with O/2 absorbers and avoid the too hard to eat dilemma altogether. Yes over time they will get too hard to pressure cook and soften, avoid it or lose 'em . I'm not sure grinding them is possible or even if it is would it be beneficial?
The Following User Says Thank You to Aceoky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 02:21 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
You can pressure can them, or cook them and dehydrate them, store in mylar with O/2 absorbers and avoid the too hard to eat dilemma altogether. Yes over time they will get too hard to pressure cook and soften, avoid it or lose 'em . I'm not sure grinding them is possible or even if it is would it be beneficial?
Are you talking about beans, lentils, or both?
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaSierraCharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 02:27 PM
Hunter

I'm not saying that beans don't have a place, I'm just surprised at the lack of attention regarding lentils. The main advantage to me is the short cook time, but I didn't know about them causing kidney stones in some people. I've been eating them pretty heavily recently, so I doubt I'll have an issue but it's good to know.

Lentils are definitely going to simplify and lighten my camping/woods BOB supplies, whereas beans take too much time and fuel to be an option for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaSierraCharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 03:09 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,556 Times in 599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSierraCharlie View Post
...Lentils are definitely going to simplify and lighten my camping/woods BOB supplies, whereas beans take too much time and fuel to be an option for me.
Lentils certainly play a part in that kind of scenario and I do keep a few of them around. I'm a bug-in guy and my group will most likely have a fire going most hours of the day. Having one of the kids tending a pot of beans over a slow fire will probably occur frequently.
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post: