Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rosie O'Donnell loses her mind. Justme11 Political News and Discussion 69 03-05-2017 02:15 AM
Wyoming wins yet again!! biathlon General Discussion 10 01-04-2017 08:30 PM
Soros: A look into the creature's mind... Mere_Man General Discussion 9 12-29-2016 02:18 PM
OweBlamerLiar Has lost his Mind On Live TV Rewriting History DoOver General Discussion 21 11-15-2016 09:46 AM

Old 04-19-2017, 01:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,574 Times in 7,395 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
There is plenty of dense forest land in the West.
Much of it is taller and denser than the East.
Millions of acres of it.
Yeah, I grew up there, my home town had 4 major lumber mills, including the biggest single roof plywood mill on the planet, and the next towns over had another 8 mills.

But my point was, most of the forested land is very expensive, or impossible to buy.

And even more importantly, there are even MORE millions of acres that aren't wooded, at all. See, "the West" isn't only the area between the Sierras and the coast. Just because the rest of Nevada and Utah is east of you, doesn't mean it's not "the West".
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 03:58 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

There is plenty of cheap forested land in the West. It is just a long way out there.
Most geographers agree that the West starts around the 100th Meridian in the Great Plains, around the middle of the Dakotas, Neb, Kansas, Ok and TX.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,574 Times in 7,395 Posts

Quote:
There is plenty of cheap forested land in the West. It is just a long way out there.
Got links?

Quote:
Most geographers agree that the West starts around the 100th Meridian in the Great Plains, around the middle of the Dakotas, Neb, Kansas, Ok and TX.
Yeah...that was my point.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 04:38 PM
Live Free or Die

Thanked 11,607 Times in 2,735 Posts

Quote:
Out there is what I am looking for. Can you point me in the right direction? By that I mean links. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:14 AM
Anvils and Welders

Thanked 23,951 Times in 4,443 Posts

Try this outfit - http://www.rockymountaintimberlands.com/
They usually have some small parcels for sale, although they are usually bigger than what you mentioned. They also do owner financing, which can be a good deal, or not. For what you want though, this would be a good starting point and will give you an idea of what is out there.

You will find it damn near impossible to find 2-5 acres that isn't in the middle of a sub-division filled with doublewides and people with way too much livestock on way too little ground.

Tex
The Following User Says Thank You to Tex For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 10:32 AM
I love this forum

Look up some real estate sites and ask for acreage.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:11 PM

If I were you, I would get in touch with this guy:

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=709474
Old 04-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Live Free or Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Try this outfit - http://www.rockymountaintimberlands.com/
They usually have some small parcels for sale, although they are usually bigger than what you mentioned. They also do owner financing, which can be a good deal, or not. For what you want though, this would be a good starting point and will give you an idea of what is out there.

You will find it damn near impossible to find 2-5 acres that isn't in the middle of a sub-division filled with doublewides and people with way too much livestock on way too little ground.

Tex
Thanks Tex. this guy seems to specialize in Remote properties.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,446 Times in 1,384 Posts

If it were me I would focus on the areas close to Laramie and Cheyenne. The Medicine Bow NF offers good Elk hunting and Antelope and Muley deer are plenty in the lower areas. If you want land for firewood then consider getting a firewood permit for the area NF and state land. Cheap land may be checkerboarded (read that: inaccessible).

Water rights might be an issue. Wyoming University is in Laramie so there is that additional small town/school town flair.

Casper would be another option. Lots of,oil/gas jobs in/around there.

Just know is...winters are COLD and summers are DRY and HOT. And very rare when it's NOT windy. A BIG change from Florida IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to JLW1974 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 02:53 PM
I love this forum

I used to live Laramie at 7,200 feet. When it snows the interstate is closed for days. The wind blows all the time. It was -40 degrees F in my driveway. It is definitely not forested. My wife attended school at the U of Wyo. It is an okay place to live. If you ask people what they like about it they all say the same thing. "It is a challenge."
Old 08-28-2017, 01:13 AM

You might look up around 10 Sleep.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:18 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
MtnMike has a seasonal place at 8,000 feet in the Snowy Range west of Laramie.

Wyo has a tough climate. Everyone has the idea of living in the moutains, but it gets cold and snowy real fast. In places with a lot of public land, the choice lots cost more.

10k is not likely to get the job done.
Look at a map which shows the National Forests and look adjacent to them. There are plenty of areas with forest east of the Rockies.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:25 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 24,389 Times in 4,927 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Wow, am I real glad I finally saw this thread. This is why people should send me a message or post in my threads or even email me. That is If they wish to get info from the horse / mtnman's mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
MountainManMike might be able to point you in the right direction. He has 5 acres somewhere down south in the mountains down there. I don't think he paid much for his, but I think that was also a while ago. If you do happen to find some, let me know as I'm potentially looking for something similar.
I can point ramblingvanman and anyone else in the direction I think is right. Most people for the past 3 or so years don't listen to much that I say though. And I have 3 and 1/2 acres of land which is much since it is not flat and two acres are pretty steep although not too hard to walk around on. One acre is sorta flat with an old logging road thru it where I have built two sheds on that old road.

And I paid $8,000 for my mtn place in the summer of 1987 taking 3 years to pay it off. It might be worth around $50,000 today, not including the buildings I have built - 4 sheds and bunker, beginning to build a new cabin. Some land even without any water has sold for around that. My land is worth much mainly because I have two springs, much wood, and bordered on two sides by the Medicine Bow national forest. Including the huge national forest in northern Colorado there are at least two Million acres of forest within a few miles.

And land has gone up too much although it is possible to still by some lots for not too much money in Encampment or Saratoga. Maybe other places also but those two towns are the main ones I know with some of the best fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, skiing etc. etc. anywhere.

Quote:
MtnMike has a seasonal place at 8,000 feet in the Snowy Range west of Laramie.

Wyo has a tough climate. Everyone has the idea of living in the mountains, but it gets cold and snowy real fast. In places with a lot of public land, the choice lots cost more.

10k is not likely to get the job done.
Actually my mtn place is at 9,500 feet and a mile from the Continental Divide with a Great view of the Snowy Range a few miles to the east. And some think I am in Montana or Colorado which I might be sometimes but my mtn place is in The best area of the Rocky Mtns in Wyoming - at least I think so.

I would very likely let someone camp on or even build a bug out shed with their own lock for that shed on my land. And I could show Many places in the vast national forest to camp and explore. I would not even charge any $ but people must contact me within the next few months. Beginning the summer of 2018 I might be very difficult to contact since I plan to permanently move up there at least by June 2018. I could help and I could also use some help but again, people must contact me thru a message or email and discuss things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlibird View Post
Rawlins?
Not on a bet!

Couple problems with land in WY.
Places you want to live, is either expensive or in the hands of the oil/gas companies.

However, try Pinedale or Big Piney areas.
You might get lucky.

Down by Saratoga, where Mike has his place, there are places you don't get to 6 months of the year. There is a reason why WY is so sparsely populated.
People can get to them with a snowmobile, skis or my favorite: snowshoes. And besides being one of the last of the still mostly very Free states, Wyoming is also The least populated state. More wildlife, even more antelope than people in WY.

Quote:
One more thing that many don't know or maybe don't care but Millions of acres of forest, mainly pine trees killed by beetles, in the western USA and Canada have been killed a few years ago. I have lost around 50 large nice pine trees with 4 large ones still alive, and more than 100 smaller 6 foot high pine trees, still alive and well but I also have a few hundred fir and spruce still very alive and green. I am using the dead pine trees for building material for the new cabin and bartering with some neighbors who only like pine for firewood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBlue View Post
I agree, pine and fir, cedar and juniper (eww), even mesquite is what you burn if that's what you have. If not, there's cow patties. I'm a western girl myself. I was just saying, for the benefit of flatlanders, it's not the most efficient. You aren't going to find what they think of as "Wooded" land in the west.
Pine is not too bad and on my land mainly along the two springs I have a few dozen huge beautiful spruce trees which can live more than 300 years and get over 100 feet tall. I have used the few spruce that have died off as building materials. I know some nearby neighbors with many dozens of dead pine and some dead spruce that they would like to get rid of. I have helped some with that.

This video shows as definite proof that at least a bit of Rocky Mtn land is extremely wooded with good spring water also. My largest spring is shown along the private dirt road. About all of the video was taken on my mtn place even showing pretty good inside the bunker >

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblingvanman View Post
I am seriously considering settling down after 20 years of a nomadic lifestyle. Wyoming interests me most, but I cannot find any land for sale unless I want 50+ acres. I want only enough for me to live on. I am looking for 2-5 acres that I can pick up for 10k or so. I don't need any buildings or utilities on said land. I would like an acre to be cleared and the rest wooded, but that is not necessary. I can clear the acre myself if I need to. A well would be great, but again the land is the thing I am looking for. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I am currently in Florida taking a couple of classes to renew some of my certifications. I want to be relocated to Wyoming no later than June 1st 2018. Sooner would be even better.
Again please send me a message, email or post, if you truly are interested in moving to Wyoming. I would stay away from the few liberal areas such as Jackson and the Yellowstone area and even Laramie or Cheyenne which are way too liberal for me anyway.

This is The best thread I have telling and showing with many pics and videos all about the great area > https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=84562

that I think is one of the very best in all of the vast Rocky Mountain area. Look up, google, bing search etc. : Saratoga, the Snowy Range and the "good times valley" what the locals call that great area. Even google Mtnman Mike retreat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 08:14 PM
Live Free or Die

Thanks for the reply MtnMan. I will be heading out west in the next few weeks. Just a few loose ends to tie up.
The Following User Says Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post: