SHTF Killing Small Game - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small Game Dressing R_Jacobs18 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 26 06-08-2015 06:49 PM
If you want to hunt small game post SHTF, you may want to Predator hunt/trap Pre SHTF John Rambo Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 01-10-2015 06:17 AM
Best slingshot ammo for killing small critters? eotwawki Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 86 07-18-2014 12:55 AM
Small game Walleye Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 51 01-05-2014 12:31 PM
Small game Walleye Firearms General Discussion 10 05-01-2013 10:44 PM
Small Game with .38? wt80 Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 14 01-22-2013 09:11 AM
slingshots for small game bigskypreper Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 0 07-28-2012 11:55 PM
small game snares MontgomeryXIII Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 2 09-02-2009 11:43 PM
the .22lr for more than small game? cajun47 Firearms General Discussion 15 04-12-2008 11:56 PM
small game mangyhyena Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 20 01-06-2008 08:39 PM

Old 07-26-2016, 12:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 61,797 Times in 19,906 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
22 sub-sonic with a long barrel and bolt action.

I buy 22 shorts and sub-sonic just so I do not draw attention, and I live in a rural area.

I use my suppressor.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2016, 04:41 PM
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfire View Post
So my plan for hunting small game in a SHTF scenario was to use my .223 and go for headshots on bunnies and squirrels, which obviously isn't ideal. I also have a 9mm. Also not ideal. Those calibers will both decimate game that small, and they're also extremely loud, which in a WROL situation is not good. I was thinking about purchasing an AR-7 (.22LR) for this purpose, which would also go nicely into a bug out bag.

.22's still make a fair amount of noise though, and in a suburban area like where I live it'd draw a lot of attention in a semi-broken down scenario (food shortages, but government still functioning like in Venezuela). Is there something else that'd work better such as airguns? Cabelas even sells slingshots and blowguns, but those seem hard to use. I'm not really sure how far the sound from a .22 travels, or whether BB guns can even kill a rabbit. I know some trapping, but it's not going to work with other hungry people around. Help me out here if you can. Thanks.
I'd recommend the quiet CCI .22 ammo. That would work great for you. Other than that, maybe try a slingshot?
Old 07-27-2016, 05:14 PM
What would Mal do

Thanked 7,688 Times in 2,582 Posts

I own 13 acres which includes both pond and creek water features.

so a normal week for us includes spotting:

half dozen bunnies
deer - average group size is about 9 adults
beaver/otter/muskrats constantly visiting
turkeys - pretty solitary except when it's time to make more little turkeys and then we'll have 20 of em in the back yard at one time.
squirrels...dear lord the squirrels!

but the point is I'd shoot through the population of rabbits in pretty short time and have to fall back to squirrel meat...
not many real meals to be had, even out here inthe sticks a bit...so the 22 would likely get put away after the first couple 10rd mags.

deer would be hunted hard by the other good ol boys and be gone in a matter of a few days.
lesser furries would take a bit more patience and by then it'd be dangerous to be out and about hunting anyway.

sorry, but I just don't see hunting for survival as much of an option post SHTF..keep you for a couple weeks maybe..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighanded View Post
I own 13 acres which includes both pond and creek water features.

so a normal week for us includes spotting:

half dozen bunnies
deer - average group size is about 9 adults
beaver/otter/muskrats constantly visiting
turkeys - pretty solitary except when it's time to make more little turkeys and then we'll have 20 of em in the back yard at one time.
squirrels...dear lord the squirrels!

but the point is I'd shoot through the population of rabbits in pretty short time and have to fall back to squirrel meat...
not many real meals to be had, even out here inthe sticks a bit...so the 22 would likely get put away after the first couple 10rd mags.

deer would be hunted hard by the other good ol boys and be gone in a matter of a few days.
lesser furries would take a bit more patience and by then it'd be dangerous to be out and about hunting anyway.

sorry, but I just don't see hunting for survival as much of an option post SHTF..keep you for a couple weeks maybe..
I hear what you're saying but no one said SHTF would be a fun time. There would definitely be dangers when out hunting like being shot by some crazy. Unless you're one of those people who'd live in a missile silo with 10+ years of food etc, you're going to have to hunt if you want to live. It wouldn't be on just your property either. You would have to use multiple methods of obtaining food. Hunting is just one of various ways of doing that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodsman 16 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2016, 05:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,669 Times in 1,460 Posts

a.223 (5.56) or 9mm on a bunny or squirrel will usually result in an animal almost totally destroyed. They will be skinned and quartered, but a 22LR would be MUCH MORE appropriate.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:27 PM
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldwsel View Post
a.223 (5.56) or 9mm on a bunny or squirrel will usually result in an animal almost totally destroyed. They will be skinned and quartered, but a 22LR would be MUCH MORE appropriate.
I'm not sure. I have personally shot a squirrel with a 7.62x39 and 7.62x54r. Both rounds went straight through the animals and did hardly any damage. I was expecting the squirrels to totally blow apart but nope. The 7.62x39 was a hollowpoint as well. I didn't skin the animals so the innards were probably destroyed but the exterior was fine. Just a small entrance and exit hole.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woodsman 16 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2016, 08:18 PM
Prepared

If I had a few traps I could catch squirrels and rabbits all day long without hunting with a gun. With one Hav A Hart trap I catch a squirrel or rabbit every day. We turn the rabbits loose because we don't need the meat but if we did I am quite certain we would have plenty to eat. The ground squirrels are abundant and I could use them for dog food but right now we shoot the little buggers in the trap. We are on small acreage and prefer the traps over endangering the neighbors.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:22 PM
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning - Glory View Post
If I had a few traps I could catch squirrels and rabbits all day long without hunting with a gun. With one Hav A Hart trap I catch a squirrel or rabbit every day. We turn the rabbits loose because we don't need the meat but if we did I am quite certain we would have plenty to eat. The ground squirrels are abundant and I could use them for dog food but right now we shoot the little buggers in the trap. We are on small acreage and prefer the traps over endangering the neighbors.
Haha. Just noticed the name of the trap. "Hav A Hart". Haha.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:28 PM
Prepared

There are probably other brands. They are no kill traps so you can catch and release. The neighbor had nine cats that were not spayed/neutered so we relocated them to the shelter as we caught them.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:34 PM
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning - Glory View Post
There are probably other brands. They are no kill traps so you can catch and release. The neighbor had nine cats that were not spayed/neutered so we relocated them to the shelter as we caught them.
Yeah I know. They are the cage things with a trigger plate inside. Too bad about the cats. Some people are idiots. If you've got a critter problem try out some CCI quiet 22 rounds. They're just as quiet or quieter than a silencer and your neighbors won't hear you at all.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:09 PM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 7,100 Times in 2,364 Posts
Default BeemanRS3 and Crosman1322

I don't plan to hunt for a SHTF scenario, I raise chickens and meat rabbits. However, for fun, I have a dual caliber Beeman RS3. Now , it could put some extra meat in the pot in certain situations, so it is considered by me a "survival tool." I carry a Crosman 1322 in my GHB.

If I am on foot trying to get home, it will be a 40 mile hike. At my age and health, I'd do good to do 10 miles a day. (Head hanging in shame.) Thirty six years ago....well, I'm not going to go there. Anyway, there are a LOT of squirrels in my area, a lot! It would cut down on the weight of my pack to not be hauling food. Besides, I'm not going to be doing a lot of hunting anyway trying to get home. TP
Old 07-28-2016, 06:58 AM
Lone Wolf

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Patriot View Post
I don't plan to hunt for a SHTF scenario, I raise chickens and meat rabbits. However, for fun, I have a dual caliber Beeman RS3. Now , it could put some extra meat in the pot in certain situations, so it is considered by me a "survival tool." I carry a Crosman 1322 in my GHB.

If I am on foot trying to get home, it will be a 40 mile hike. At my age and health, I'd do good to do 10 miles a day. (Head hanging in shame.) Thirty six years ago....well, I'm not going to go there. Anyway, there are a LOT of squirrels in my area, a lot! It would cut down on the weight of my pack to not be hauling food. Besides, I'm not going to be doing a lot of hunting anyway trying to get home. TP
10 miles a day with a pack isn't bad. With a pack the most you would average anyway is 10-15 miles per day at best depending on the terrain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodsman 16 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 09:31 AM
Golfer

Thanked 2,509 Times in 1,419 Posts

something like this if you want DIY http://www.instructables.com/id/Snap...rap-for-Birds/
Old 07-28-2016, 09:51 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,059 Times in 723 Posts

What I would do is prep, prep, prep. Have dry and canned goods stored and rotate. Then when TSHTF, hunt and gather as much wild game and food as you can eat and save your preps. Then when food becomes scares, eat your preps and hunker down to stop those who are out of food. Don't let anyone know about your preps. Have seeds stored for gardening when things start to return to normal. If possible move out of town with a few acres to farm, grow chickens, or a cow or goats, maybe some hogs.

The reason for hunting first is to feed yourself and family until game becomes scares, then dip into your preps. But don't use a gun for small game, use snares and traps for complete quiet food gathering. Use trot lines for fishing, and check them at night. Save your ammo for two legged predators.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:59 AM
The end is,,,,,

Thanked 13,268 Times in 5,545 Posts

Slingshot! Check out Borg on the Slingshot Channel on utube.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:41 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,098 Posts

I'm gonna chime in with the pro air gun crowd here. I've got a cheap Beaman .17/.22 cal combo. The .17 cal pellets shoot at around 1350 FPS, which is comparable to the muzzle velocity of bulk .22 ammo. Combined with a better quality pellet, and you can easily take small game. The .22 barrel shoots at about 850 fps. Not the fastest; it does work, though. Also, it is a lot quieter and more economical than a firearm.
The Following User Says Thank You to gallard For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2016, 01:26 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 6,289 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
1. Don't hunt small game.

It's not worth the calories expended let alone the ammo or time.

I sometimes "hunt" rabbits in the evening by sitting on my porch with my suppressed .22 pistol by me waiting for rabbits to approach my garden.

There's also a $100 .22 revolver hanging just inside the door as I've shot several coons and opossums going after my compost pile.

2. (Again... REALLY HATE) To channel gunkid, but they make .22 conversions for both AR'S and various 9mm's.

My setup is more AK and pair of glocks... and I have a Advantage arms .22 conversion so I can have the option if I choose (it's VERY light... I need to get a threaded barrel for it.)

4. For basically the price of a Glock you can have a LEGALLY REGISTERED .22 suppressor.. .. if you get one you'll wonder why you waited so long.
Hey now! Gunkid was a god among survivalists/preppers!, let us bow our heads at the loss of such a man.......

sorry, I couldn't finish typing that with a straight face.....
Old 08-01-2016, 02:04 PM
Original Orange President

Thanked 1,174 Times in 551 Posts

Those of you who think that a 9mm FMJ will destroy a rabbit haven't shot a rabbit with a 9mm FMJ. It passes through and there is a whole animal left. Is a .22LR better? No clue. 9mm has always worked fine for me.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:22 PM
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadeMurphy View Post
Those of you who think that a 9mm FMJ will destroy a rabbit haven't shot a rabbit with a 9mm FMJ. It passes through and there is a whole animal left. Is a .22LR better? No clue. 9mm has always worked fine for me.
Exactly. Speed and bullet type are what matter. For example. I once shot a squirrel with a 7.62x39 hollow point assuming he would be blown in half, but it actually went straight through and left a small hole on either side. He still died immediately though. On the other hand, I have shot a squirrel with a 7.62x25 hollow point. That round almost completely vaporized the animal.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:27 AM
Long Term Survival Expert

I just did a video review of the new CCI Quiet ammo. I think it is probably the answer to your questions. Here is a link,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MSogoO-ihw