Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wyoming to DC? biathlon Political News and Discussion 11 01-25-2013 10:07 AM
Hello from Wyoming WyomingMom New Member Introduction 29 02-18-2012 06:25 AM
Greetings from Wyoming AFVeteran19 New Member Introduction 16 11-08-2011 02:41 PM
Hello From Wyoming buttercup22 New Member Introduction 17 08-02-2011 08:50 AM
Hello from Wyoming Will Littell New Member Introduction 13 07-17-2011 04:34 AM
Hi from Wyoming Neverenough New Member Introduction 30 06-29-2011 11:55 AM
hello from Wyoming Archer1182 New Member Introduction 15 05-26-2011 04:28 AM
Hello from Wyoming! :) DilCalvin New Member Introduction 16 05-24-2011 11:50 AM
Wyoming biathlon Book Reviews 0 02-04-2011 11:12 AM

Old 07-21-2015, 02:24 PM

Advertise Here

Wyoming is the most bueatiful state that i have ever seen i come there each year for three week to hunt mostly north of casper or north of medicene bow protect your state at all cost otherwise the out of staters will destroy it like they have where i live i drive 27 hours one way to get to wy.my wife turned bown a job at the cody medical ctr, three years ago because i could not find a job there , and i still kick myself
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnny kendrick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2015, 03:31 PM
Save a life; carry a gun.

Thanked 1,000 Times in 384 Posts

I've been in Wyoming for thirteen years; I'm a refugee from Colorado. I welcome right wing people who have little use for any government and none for social programs. I've found that the best people here are those who came from unpleasant places. Too many of the natives don't believe just how bad it is elsewhere. I met several of the Hungarian freedom fighters in 1956 and later. They're all old or dead now, but they appreciated freedom. I know one old lady whom I guarantee will take a few bad people with her in a firefight if the balloon goes up. She fought Red Army tanks with only a machinegun and Molotov cocktails. I have neighbors from California who are great Wyomingites. There are White South Africans here; they are not liberal Democrats. None of these various people wishes to lose another home. I judge people on their own merits; I don't care where they were born.

Yes, Wyoming could change for the worse. Our governor and most of our legislature are blah Republicans without fire. It was the same way in Colorado. I moved there in 1967; it was paradise compared to Illinois. It became a sad, broken shadow of what it was when I first moved there.

If I left here I only know of one place to go, Svalbard, the most northern land on the planet. There's only one day per year with long twilights. However, there's relatively little government and no social programs whatsoever. The only problem is that Norway administers it. They now require licenses for guns for the first time although they have a law requiring that people be armed when traveling outside of settlements.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Horn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2015, 07:36 PM

Casper here, Don't really know if i like wyoming or southwest montana better they both have their benefits. But I am here do to family concerns and am enjoying it mostly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2015, 11:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,419 Times in 2,779 Posts

Casper is nice, it's only a 30minute drive to Wyoming.

I first heard that joke from a sourdough on a ferry bound for Alaska. Then it was Anchorage and Alaska.

Last edited by bilmac; 07-26-2015 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: Expand a little
Old 07-27-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
Casper is nice, it's only a 30minute drive to Wyoming.

I first heard that joke from a sourdough on a ferry bound for Alaska. Then it was Anchorage and Alaska.
The other one is you can't get here from there! And with Casper that is more true than most know Especially with the road closures in the winter and hi wind closures all year.
The Following User Says Thank You to tbuckit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2015, 11:39 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuckit View Post
The other one is you can't get here from there! And with Casper that is more true than most know Especially with the road closures in the winter and hi wind closures all year.
WARNING, to all who are thinking Wyoming might be paradise. Semi Trucks are commonly blown over in Wyoming. Some places like I 25 in the Chugwater area are notorious.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2015, 04:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,592 Times in 3,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmac View Post
WARNING, to all who are thinking Wyoming might be paradise. Semi Trucks are commonly blown over in Wyoming. Some places like I 25 in the Chugwater area are notorious.
They used to put out "Small Dog Warnings" on the radio...small dogs were frequently blown away in the wind.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Betty Buckshot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2015, 08:47 AM
Deplorable and 3%

Thanked 25,500 Times in 5,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Buckshot View Post
They used to put out "Small Dog Warnings" on the radio...small dogs were frequently blown away in the wind.
Toto? Toto?! Where are you?????

Oh, wait....that was Kansas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darthmuerte For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2015, 05:22 PM

I rather enjoy the sparse population of our state and pray we just stay invisible to the morons who can't find it on a map.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PointB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2015, 10:38 PM

Born & raised on a ranch, go back every summer, but not tough enough anymore to handle those winners. retired south, but no better place to be in the summer
Old 11-21-2015, 08:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,446 Times in 1,384 Posts

Wyoming,,one of my favorite places to hunt antelope, elk and Muley deer. Not to mention all that BLM land which can be used to shoot extreme long range...

I did come across a grizzly once while elk hunting. Was far away enough for it to seem not to be a threat but that guy was HUGE...

When it rains the dirt roads become snail snot to boot. Even chains won't help.

Wyoming is beautiful but it can also be very very unforgiving.
The Following User Says Thank You to JLW1974 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2015, 07:10 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW1974 View Post

When it rains the dirt roads become snail snot to boot. Even chains won't help.
There are certain types of clays that when wet will build up on your tires until there is no clearance between your wheel wells and the tire and the tire stops turning. If that isn't fun to clean out.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:40 AM

Hello all, I live in Boulder. Not Boulder Colorado, the Boulder that is a few miles from Pinedale. I have lived here for three years and I love it! Before moving here I lived in Riverton for 20 years, I lived the first 17 years of my life in Douglas. I have never lived anywhere but Wyoming and I don't plan on ever leaving. I have spent the last couple years building a cabin on south pass, when I have the time that is. If anybody wants to get together and compare notes, trade stuff, go jeeping, or anything else give me a shout. Take care, Mike.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to warbird1975 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Outlander Territory

Thanked 6,315 Times in 2,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird1975 View Post
Hello all, I live in Boulder. Not Boulder Colorado, the Boulder that is a few miles from Pinedale. I have lived here for three years and I love it! Before moving here I lived in Riverton for 20 years, I lived the first 17 years of my life in Douglas. I have never lived anywhere but Wyoming and I don't plan on ever leaving. I have spent the last couple years building a cabin on south pass, when I have the time that is. If anybody wants to get together and compare notes, trade stuff, go jeeping, or anything else give me a shout. Take care, Mike.
Gorgeous area. I'm up just south of Sheridan, right in the foothills of the Bighorns. I like to travel a lot, outside of Wyoming and wherever there is an adventure, but Wyoming will always be home. I still haven't met any of my fellow Wyoming SB members as we are so few and far between.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DuneElliot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2016, 06:19 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 24,389 Times in 4,927 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny kendrick View Post
Wyoming is the most bueatiful state that i have ever seen i come there each year for three week to hunt mostly north of casper or north of medicene bow protect your state at all cost otherwise the out of staters will destroy it like they have where i live i drive 27 hours one way to get to wy.my wife turned bown a job at the cody medical ctr, three years ago because i could not find a job there , and i still kick myself
I agree and I could post many nice purty pics of Wyoming but Tex and some others won't let me. I still might somewhere although I do have ten pic threads with a couple hundred or more pics, even some videos. Mainly of a certain remote mtn Wyoming retreat that I have camped, worked on, Lived on, mainly during summers for 20 or so years.

I Hope to move to my mtn place which is about 12 miles west of Encampment, Wyoming but I still must take care of my old mom and dad here in Greedey, Coloradica.

One point though is that most of Wyoming is desolate, empty wasteland as I think most city people, say from NYCity etc. etc would think. I even think some parts which are desert are not nearly as beautiful as some other areas. I am "lucky" to have found a great spot in Wyoming with an abundance of water, wood and wildlife and I have tried to live there, at Least during the warm months since 1987 only not going to Wyoming for a couple years since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointB View Post
I rather enjoy the sparse population of our state and pray we just stay invisible to the morons who can't find it on a map.
I think most people who might drive thru Wyoming keep on Interstate 80 and go as fast as they can, missing the nice Snowy Range and other sites / sights. And many many others go to Yellowstone which is really nice. One other big reason people should not move to Wyoming is ( of course ) Yellowstone might blow up any minute. ( kidding sorta )

Quote:
Thanks warbird. I would love to go to Pinedale again but I have an old pickup truck that I try to only drive from Greeley, CO to west of Encampment, WY at least once or twice every summer and stay up there from June to Nov.
But IF anyone wishes to visit me some summer, mainly from late June to early Oct. the most snow free time then send me a message or email. I have plenty of camping spots, even in the million acre national forest that surrounds my mtn place / retreat where I am building a cabin, sheds, bunker etc.

I have driven all over Wyoming except for Riverton and a very few other areas. I mostly like the Snowy Range for various reasons, mainly it has been the closest. Like I have said I Hope to move soon to my mtn place in southern Wyoming and I might Maybe this summer since I think my old parents are going into a nursing home in a couple or so months. I just cannot spend more years of my life in this city in Calirado and I have given them about all I can.

I really doubt that most of Wyoming will get too crowded, except maybe for Cheyenne which I have read and seen the new huge building near Cheyenne just off of Interstate 80 which I think Microsoft is doing and bringing in Californians etc.!

Near Jackson has also been invaded but as I say, I cannot see most of Wyoming, say more than 90% getting too crowded. Many are invading and taking over Colorado which gives me just one more good reason to soon move to my mtn place in Wyoming. And the oil bust will not help in development etc. and likely many will be leaving or already have the past year or so....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2016, 06:58 PM

I have not spent very much time in the Big Horn mountains or the Snowy range. I have driven through there many times but never stopped for long. I spent most of my adult life playing in the Wind River range and the Gros Ventre. I like the fact that there is not much private property around there and I can go pretty much anywhere I want.

My cabin on the Wind River range is located on a small development that borders forest service land. There are several plots in that area but my cabin is the only one up there. I think a person would have to live for a long time and have lots of free time to explore every mountain range in Wyoming. I have spent 26 years looking all over the Winds and I still haven't seen everything! The thing I love the most is spending an entire day exploring and never seeing another person, not very many places left where you can do that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to warbird1975 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2016, 09:02 AM
Outlander Territory

Thanked 6,315 Times in 2,469 Posts

Quote:
I have not spent very much time in the Big Horn mountains or the Snowy range. I have driven through there many times but never stopped for long. I spent most of my adult life playing in the Wind River range and the Gros Ventre. I like the fact that there is not much private property around there and I can go pretty much anywhere I want.

My cabin on the Wind River range is located on a small development that borders forest service land. There are several plots in that area but my cabin is the only one up there. I think a person would have to live for a long time and have lots of free time to explore every mountain range in Wyoming. I have spent 26 years looking all over the Winds and I still haven't seen everything! The thing I love the most is spending an entire day exploring and never seeing another person, not very many places left where you can do that.
I love the Winds, especially around Dubois, they are gorgeous. I was there this time last year for a long weekend. I think that most of our mountain ranges here in Wyoming are the kind of place where you almost never see another person, except on popular trails. Can you share pictures of this cabin without giving too much away of exactly where it's located...would be interested to see
Old 01-22-2016, 12:17 PM

I will post some pics soon, my photobucket is not working very well right now. I will try to do it a different way.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:57 PM

I posted some pics in the gallery. Not sure how to post them in a thread. The cabin is pretty basic, the pics are what we got done the first year. It was just me, my step father, and a friend of mine that built it.

I got more done on the interior last year but I don't have those pics on my computer yet. I got a wood stove installed and the electrical wiring done. Also got a couple of the walls up that separate the rooms, and a temporary kitchen area.

My plan is to get a cistern and septic system put in this year. I will also get a solar power system and porch this year if time and money allows. I could live in it now the way it is if I had to, but I really need to get it finished for it to be a viable long term survival shelter.

The pictures of the dead elk are ones we took during hunting season, both within 100 yards of the cabin during separate years.

I will add some more recent pics when I get them on my computer. Thanks, take care, Mike.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warbird1975 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2016, 02:50 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 24,389 Times in 4,927 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
I love the Winds, especially around Dubois, they are gorgeous. I was there this time last year for a long weekend. I think that most of our mountain ranges here in Wyoming are the kind of place where you almost never see another person, except on popular trails. Can you share pictures of this cabin without giving too much away of exactly where it's located...would be interested to see
I have only been by the Wind River range once. Ugly gray desolate mostly treeless mountains. I could post some pics but again, Tex won't let me, as if anyone can stop me from posting pics. Mainly I just don't have the online time to find and post pics.
But people can google or use an image search of the Wind River mtns or any of Wyoming mountains and see for yourself. I like the Snowy Range best since I drive over it when I travel from Greedey, CO to my mtn place near Encampment, WY every summer. I like it since it is a thousand times less traveled than most of Colorado highways.

Although in the summer, especially on weekends there might be two cars in the parking lot near the top of the Snowies. Waaay too crowded for me. I have been over them just before they close the state highway in late fall and No one is up there, with empty parking lots and no traffic... People who like people might not like desolate empty Wyoming which many likely I hope think is a desolate wasteland. Not a terrible empty treeless desert such as Nevada for the most part but still Wyoming is not city slicker people friendly.