Arsenal - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arsenal AKs? Where are they? BlueHarvest76 Military Weapons Forum 10 01-12-2015 03:02 AM
Arsenal SLR-107 or Arsenal SAM7SF-84? zentmeister1015 Military Weapons Forum 6 12-22-2013 08:05 AM
Arsenal SGL21 VS. Arsenal SAM7R-61? Zerstörer Rifle Forum 12 07-23-2013 09:44 PM
Help with my arsenal Common Sense Rifle Forum 36 07-03-2013 02:57 AM
Arsenal Ak vs... Lourock Firearms General Discussion 14 10-20-2012 01:08 PM
No need for an arsenal!!! NC Survivalist Firearms General Discussion 278 10-17-2012 07:12 AM
Arsenal AK AKman Military Weapons Forum 25 06-09-2011 09:34 AM
arsenal AK paul kersey Military Weapons Forum 22 03-19-2010 06:31 PM
What in your arsenal? akren905 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 20 06-08-2009 08:45 AM
My Arsenal Wes Firearms General Discussion 14 05-05-2007 07:56 PM

Old 08-20-2011, 06:33 AM
"Nothing is over!"

Advertise Here

An SKS is a fine rifle but if you do get a 223 get an AR. Stay away from the Ruger Mini 14. The A-Team used these and they never could hit anybody. LOL. Seriously I had a Mini-14 and it wasn't that accurate.

It has been said enough already loose the 10mm and swap the 380 for a small concealable 9mm. The 9mm is cheaper to shoot. I have no problem with the big honking 45.

308 Win maybe a Nato cartridge, But for deer hunting I prefer a 270 Win or 30-06. The 30-06 is the parent shell casing for all three if you get into reloading haveing 30-06 shell casings on hand is a must.

12 ga is the only way to go. The most common shotgun caliber.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 45,536 Times in 13,328 Posts

Having common weapons in common calibers is a good thing for ammo/parts availability and cost BEFORE shtf, but of little additional value afterwards, despite fantasies of finding boxes of ammo in flower pots like in Resident Evil
Old 08-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Renaissance Man

Thanked 18,290 Times in 5,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryn View Post
Wow am I the only one that finds no use for a 9 mm except for target practice. My favorite gun is a glock 23 in 40 cal.
The other use I've found for 9mm is a mouse gun. It's a lot more effective than .380 and is darn near as small. Excellent for backup or deep conceal. Although I've been eyeing that Taurus 740. It's no bigger than the 709, and its already pretty small.

But this is not a huge priority. I rarely have any use for a mouse gun.

My main handguns are identical form factor .40 and .45. They have exactly the same controls, and even use the same holsters. They're fully ambidextrous so I can use them on either side (or both) or hand them off to another person without being concerned about whether they're right or left handed.

(I shoot with both hands, though not at the same time. I tried that once and it doesn't really work very well. And everyone at the range looks at you like you're a retard. )

Az
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011, 09:20 AM

I personally own these calibers, 9mm, 45acp, 7.62x54r, 223, 308, 12ga, 45-70, 22lr and 44mag. in various platforms. Im picking up a 9mm handgun and a 44mag levergun in the very near future. everything listed above is usually easy to find and fairly inexpensive( well, maybe not 45-70). I would say see if you can try out what rd you're looking at and get what you like. What ever you put in your arsenal, be sure you shoot ALOT before shtf
Old 08-20-2011, 10:21 AM
"Nothing is over!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltHorseman View Post
( well, maybe not 45-70).
Hornady Lever Revolution 45-70 was about $31 or $32 at Wal-Mart. That's about $4 cheaper than Remington or Federal.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:49 AM
17 Oaks Ranch Tx

Thanked 4,515 Times in 2,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Being a novice at having to live in a battlefield there is a love hate concerning common and uncommon rounds .
In my original opinion I felt that because of the popularity of a round it would dissappear most quickly. For instance ,if you go t a shooting range you can hear .22s popping off like fire works ,they can't seem to burn through them fast enough .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................
Where as a round that is fairly rare like .454 you might hear . . . . . .
making every shot count.
I'm fairly consirvitive in my shooting but i'm different .
Point is "I think " in a post appocaliptic event , the ididots will be blowing ammo like crazy , and the most common stuff is going to go first.
Now the guy that has the reloading equipment and knows how to use it is a whole different thing. Even so He is not going to be wasteing shots .
Sence .22 and 117hmr are not reloadable, once it is gone there is no more point in holding onto something unless you can make it perform for some other function.
This is where a break open barrel shot gun can shine , with a plug /primer adaptor it can shoot black powder.
Rule is, use the worst first, and save the best for last.
At least to me it seems that way.I'm just a dumb civillian.
Your assumptions are both valid and invalid.

TRUE: the most popular will go first, that is why its popular. That said in a post apocalyptic event we still have business activity, Wal Mart is not going away, and neither is most of what you know...perhaps battered, short on supplies and other issues, but the ONLY scenario that wipes activity off the face is the scenario in which your pistols are WORTHLESS. You long guns will only have value and 100% of that value lies in the fact that the stock may well be you only paddle as you are way up chit creek. Of course I guess all is well is you are well protected sitting in your chicken wire Friday cage:roll eyes:

Reloading equipment: Yep, got that and you and your 38.55 or 257 Roberts are set to survive. BUT this REQUIRES you plan ahead to have a set of wheels under you, either that or you are using a cotton sack for your BOB [suspect not many folks on here have ever picked cotton, but a cotton sack for kids was about 4' long, woman 6-8 foot and a big man could handle a 8-12 foot sack. Bags were coated on the bottom with tar. I have pulled a cotton sack before and that cotton ain't light, suggest you think about what you are gonna stuff in that BOB as its gonna take a BIG man to drag that cotton sack!]

Bottom line: As stated...KISS and nowhere in the KISS thinking is someone is who putting ALL their bets on having a reloader etc.

OVERHEAD: While the reloader theory if fine, its drawback lies in that it has HIGH, in this case extremely high overhead. Reloader, dies, primers, cases, powder, scales, place to work out of the wind and high humidity storage requirements and last but not least RESUPPLY in the event of loss, breakage or consumption. So if your thinking is that all the folks are gonna shoot up the 5.56 you may be right, but you are hoping there are a lot of reloading 'stuff' just laying around waiting on you to show up and pluck it.

Us war fighters spend a lot of time planning and the reason for it? ALL plans are BASED upon ASSUMPTIONS. Its rare that a plan fails on its on rather it fails based upon assumptions that prove wrong or unaccounted for assumptions. Thus we make a LOT of plans based upon different assumptions. You might note our win/loss record on the battlefield...see how it works.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Prepared

I tend to adhere to the premise that one is none and two is one. As a result, for my SHTF arsenal, I have two 6.5X55 Swedes, two SKS's, two Winchester 94's in 30-30, two M1 carbines, two 12Ga. shotguns, a Mossberg 500 18.5" barrel and a Winchester 1200 with 18" barrel, two .357magnums, a Marlin 1894 and S&W Model 66-2, two 45ACP's, a Colt combat commander and a Para-Ord. P13-45, two .40S&W's, a Star Firestar and a SIG P226, two 9MM Star Firestars, four Colt .38spcl's.

In addition to the above I have a Weatherby in .223, SIG P230 in .380, six .22rifles and a .22 pistol.

I know some of you might feel I have gone overboard, but, I made my selections based on the number of family members I have to arm.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Gone Galt

Thanked 66,588 Times in 17,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwilliam1 View Post
I tend to adhere to the premise that one is none and two is one. As a result, for my SHTF arsenal, I have two 6.5X55 Swedes, two SKS's, two Winchester 94's in 30-30, two M1 carbines, two 12Ga. shotguns, a Mossberg 500 18.5" barrel and a Winchester 1200 with 18" barrel, two .357magnums, a Marlin 1894 and S&W Model 66-2, two 45ACP's, a Colt combat commander and a Para-Ord. P13-45, two .40S&W's, a Star Firestar and a SIG P226, two 9MM Star Firestars, four Colt .38spcl's.

In addition to the above I have a Weatherby in .223, SIG P230 in .380, six .22rifles and a .22 pistol.

I know some of you might feel I have gone overboard, but, I made my selections based on the number of family members I have to arm.
Overboard

...you only have one .22 pistol

Nice collection
Old 08-20-2011, 04:43 PM

9mm - handgun
5.56 - mbr
22lr - plinker / small game

All three are very common, relatively inexpensive (compared to other calibers choices), and are light enough to carry a lot of rounds.

I do hope to add a .308 rifle some day to be able to reach "way out there"
Old 08-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,158 Times in 507 Posts

.45 acp, 9mm, .223, .308, 12 gauge, 7.62x54
Old 08-20-2011, 06:02 PM
"Nothing is over!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Hornady Lever Revolution 45-70 was about $31 or $32 at Wal-Mart. That's about $4 cheaper than Remington or Federal.
Disregard. I was by Wal-Mart today and the price of HLR 45-70 has went up to about $35. Still cheaper than the other brands.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,359 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
An SKS is a fine rifle but if you do get a 223 get an AR. Stay away from the Ruger Mini 14. The A-Team used these and they never could hit anybody. LOL. Seriously I had a Mini-14 and it wasn't that accurate.
Hey... it was just TV. They told me if I killed the extras I had to pay for them... so I didn't "miss." I just shot over their heads and told 'em if they didn't play dead the next scene would be for real.
The Following User Says Thank You to A-Team For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2011, 06:52 PM
19K/SS

Thanked 1,412 Times in 486 Posts

I appreciate all the feedback. I didn't really go into detail in my original post. My shtf situation is just me. I have a daughter but she lives 300+ miles away with her mother. So it's just me down here & my dog. Hence why my arsenal is small. My thinking is the bare essentials would be a 22lr & high powered handgun. 22 is just so practical. And with the thought of avoiding confrontation, all options would have to be exhausted to resort to the handgun. However the threat would seemingly be in close proximity for the situation to have come to that, hence the high powered handgun in a defensive situation. The 12 guage I would (& do) use for hunting & defense of self & property. The biggest predators I have to worry about down here is alligators & hogs,so I don't NEED a scatter gun. I picked up the SKSfor several reasons. First it was cheap. Second it's simple & durable. It's intended purpose is a combat rifle. The 7.62x39 rd is bigger than the 223/5.56 so I reasoned the bigger the hole, the better for bigger game animals. And the price of those rounds from what I have seen is slightly cheaper than the 223/5.56. I have read several posts that while not as accurate as the AR's or mini 14's, the SKS is a bit more accurate at range than the ak. And it was cheaper than the AK. So I bought one. And I like it. My 10mm is my woods gun & back up gun in the hunting season. My .380 is a Ruger LCP pocket gun, which I bought for carry in light clothing. My 45 was the first handgun I purchased. So I would guess my stock is adequate for my situation as is. Just wanted to hear other opinions & thoughts I may have missed, and of course opinions on adding the 9mm & 223. Thanks again all.
The Following User Says Thank You to gbm75 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,040 Times in 620 Posts

I searched what the most popular caliber cops carry... most said .40. Asked a cop I know.... he said he carries a .40 cal. Just something to think about.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicktide For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2011, 09:58 PM

If you have a 10mm Glock, buy a .40 conversion barrel and some Mags. Then you can shoot another caliber with the same gun. You could get a .357 sig barrel as well and still use the same .40 mags.

I'd definitely get a 9mm and a .223.

I'm a hard-core AK-47 guy but recently bought an AK in 5.56 to shoot 5.56/.223 if I scrounge some.

I have 9mms because of all the reasons previously stated. I think it's great with JHP but would be less enthusiastic about FMJ. I like .45 because even in FMJ it's quite thumpy.

Doc
Old 08-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,358 Times in 1,396 Posts

If you can afford high-dollar weapons and enough ammo and parts to feed and keep them running, that's a good point to aim for. Some of us had to start out with the most rugged and reliable thing we could get for our limited funds. For me, that meant Kommie weapons and calibers, which we bought continuously over the years. Military surplus is not as cheap and available as it once was though.

I think starting out cheap still a viable option even today if you choose wisely. I finally made it it to where I replaced my Mini-14 (I'll never have one again!) with a couple of AR's but they're not Cadillacs and I still don't think I could rely on them utterly when it hits.

A good reliable bolt gun in an effective caliber is a plus, as is a good pump 12 ga shotgun, a 22 rifle and handgun 9MM or greater. A .38/357 revolver could serve as well.

Not everyone will have access to NATO caliber ammo in a pinch so you may want to get something in a non-NATO caliber and plenty of reasonable ammo. Reloading is also an option but the savings may not be that great on rifle ammo.

Realistically, I doubt any of us will live through any protracted conflict and multiple thousands of rounds per weapon may not be needed............although you can never have too much if you can afford it. Most people end up using the majority their ammo for practice and you'll need to consider that point in your plans.

That may all sound contradictory but you'll always be second-guessing your preps and contingencies should be considered. Personally, I think that somebody who knows their weapons and has a good supply of ammo will do OK no matter what caliber they happen to have as long as it can do the job.

Study things out and go with your gut in your own situation. Everybody has an opinion and one person's idea may not fit your fancy.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:27 PM

Also remember that training with the weapon is equally important.

I'd rather have 1000 rounds of training and 100 rounds of ammo than a 100 rounds of training and 1000 rounds of ammo.

I'd rather be really competent with one gun than have a safe full of safe queens I didn't know.

Doc
Old 08-23-2011, 03:57 AM
أنا واحد حذر والدتك لك عن

Thanked 11,941 Times in 4,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm75 View Post
I have read two different schools of thought as far as aquiring & maintaining a SHTF stock. I have a pretty basic arsenal, but it suits my situation. The standard 22lr,12 guage,a simple & durable defensive/hunting rifle(sks) & 3 handguns in .45ACP,10mm & .380ACP. My question is would it be beneficial to get a 9mm & perhaps mini 14 or AR as those are more common calibers or just stock more for what I've got? It would probably be easier to barter with a more common caliber. On the other hand if more people have those common calibers, it would seem those supplies would run short quicker.
Personally I think your pretty well covered. I think the 10mm round is one of best ever developed. I wouldn't ditch it. I'd probably prefer an AK or an AR but the SKS is an excellent rifle.

The way I look at it. They're will be plenty of rifles laying around seeking new owners. If things get as bad as most people think.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:20 AM
17 Oaks Ranch Tx

Thanked 4,515 Times in 2,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandline View Post
If you can afford high-dollar weapons and enough ammo and parts to feed and keep them running, that's a good point to aim for. Some of us had to start out with the most rugged and reliable thing we could get for our limited funds. For me, that meant Kommie weapons and calibers, which we bought continuously over the years. Military surplus is not as cheap and available as it once was though.

I think starting out cheap still a viable option even today if you choose wisely. I finally made it it to where I replaced my Mini-14 (I'll never have one again!) with a couple of AR's but they're not Cadillacs and I still don't think I could rely on them utterly when it hits.

A good reliable bolt gun in an effective caliber is a plus, as is a good pump 12 ga shotgun, a 22 rifle and handgun 9MM or greater. A .38/357 revolver could serve as well.

Not everyone will have access to NATO caliber ammo in a pinch so you may want to get something in a non-NATO caliber and plenty of reasonable ammo. Reloading is also an option but the savings may not be that great on rifle ammo.

Realistically, I doubt any of us will live through any protracted conflict and multiple thousands of rounds per weapon may not be needed............although you can never have too much if you can afford it. Most people end up using the majority their ammo for practice and you'll need to consider that point in your plans.

That may all sound contradictory but you'll always be second-guessing your preps and contingencies should be considered. Personally, I think that somebody who knows their weapons and has a good supply of ammo will do OK no matter what caliber they happen to have as long as it can do the job.

Study things out and go with your gut in your own situation. Everybody has an opinion and one person's idea may not fit your fancy.
WHY? I have had one for years, excellent weapon, I can find no faults in it???