Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best foods for survival in the wilderness? freedomlovingman Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 52 09-27-2014 03:05 PM
Survival Foods from Supermarket dman Food and water 82 04-15-2014 10:11 PM
Survival foods for 24 hours bag Masayako Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 63 08-28-2013 07:21 AM
Question about survival foods (and Mayday survival foods) TSilant Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 28 07-23-2013 02:27 AM
Survival Foods LLC Survival Foods LLC For Sale 9 11-27-2012 04:24 PM
Wild Foods For Survival MAKE MY DAY 007 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 11-14-2012 01:03 PM
Gov buying up survival foods? Gort Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 11-13-2012 01:24 PM
Local Survival Foods laos Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 38 03-24-2008 09:41 PM

Old 04-14-2008, 07:50 PM

Lightbulb Survival Foods :)

Advertise Here

A few good foods for camping and survival that I know of are cheap and quite tasty. Here they are, with my opinions on them:
1. Sardines/Canned Tuna: Very sustaining, though not the lightest to carry in a pack due to the weight of the tin. Remember that when eating sardines or tuna, to drink plenty of water, because water is needed to process the proteins.
2. Tuna/Fish in a pouch: This pertains to the canned sardines and tuna, as for the drinking part, but pouches are a bit lighter to carry.
3. Ramen Noodles: Very lightweight, and sustaining, though high in sodium. So remember to drink plenty of water. IMPORTANT: A canteen cup or small cooking pot is needed to boil the noodles, and 2 cups of water are needed per packet. DO NOT eat Ramen Noodles when water is scarce, since quite a bit is required to cook with.
4. Beef Jerkey/Slim Jims: Very lightweight, meaty, and sustaining. Can be dehydrating, but usually you will be alright. Jerkey products are almost always high in fats and proteins, so this will definately help sustain you.
5. Chocolate: Chocolate is high in carbs and sugars, and should be included in every pack. Hershey's Chocolate is a good choice.

I have listed only five of the hundreds of food choices for survival and the outdoors, so please, give me your ideas!
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2008, 07:56 PM
I never finish anyth

I am with you on the canned fish and jerky, in fact I am making some beef jerky now. When I used to camp alot, we would buy something called "Soup Starter". They had a "Stew Starter" too. It had dehydrated veggies and meat and a really good broth. It was lightweight to carry in and all we had to do was camp near water and filter it and cook dinner over the whisperlight. It smelled so good after hiking for hours! I haven't seen it in years!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Looking ahead

Thanked 1,876 Times in 850 Posts

I try to steer clear of the canned fish as a staple of camping or survival. Protein doesn't fuel the body like carbohydrates do. I use the fish and other proteins to suppliment and flavor a dish high in carbs. Most of my pack foods are either stuff I dehydrated or forms of pastas or rices. Oatmeal is a pretty solid choice as it only requires heat and water and can be flavored by anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Bravo 36

I love the soup starters. I also carry either beef veggi or chicken broth cubes or powder. Make sure they are low sodium. unless you sweat alot.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Target Shooter

Watch the sodium intake on those ramen packets
Old 04-15-2008, 10:47 AM
28 Days Later

Thanked 1,141 Times in 594 Posts

wouldn't bother with chocolate as it'll melt if your not bugging out to the north pole lol. Though you can always get that 'astronaut' ice cream i use to have as a kid, i'm sure everyones tried some variation of it.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:48 AM

i don't know that i'd consider ramen noodles to be sustaining. they have no nutritional value....literally none. they're just salt and flour....ALOT of salt.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,251 Times in 623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptophylaxis View Post
I try to steer clear of the canned fish as a staple of camping or survival. Protein doesn't fuel the body like carbohydrates do. I use the fish and other proteins to suppliment and flavor a dish high in carbs. Most of my pack foods are either stuff I dehydrated or forms of pastas or rices. Oatmeal is a pretty solid choice as it only requires heat and water and can be flavored by anything.
I like to get a blend of protein and carbs for that reason.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:58 PM

Smile

Yeah, carbs are the main thing, but honestly, protein will also sustain you. I don't think think that there are many carbs in blackberries, but you could live off of them for the rest of your life if you had to. And another thing I forgot to include in the list, is granola bars. But I HAVE to steer clear of the ones with any nuts exept for peanuts, because peanuts are the only nuts I can eat, but technically they're a legume...
Old 04-16-2008, 04:38 AM

What about dried Fish,deep fried tofu and before you go stocking up on Raman noodles go to an Asian food store's and try some of their Raman type noodles some are smaller then raman and some are larger . The Korean style noodles we buy are Neoguri (No-gu-ree) its HOT but you don't have to put the hot package in that comes with it and it's the size of 2 raman ,on the other end is Kalgugsu (Kal-gook-sue) not hot at all and could feed 2 also now the price 89cents each not that cheap but something to think about and try maybe.
The Following User Says Thank You to czbohunk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Hiker

Couscous is a good choice. One cup of dry mix will yield 3 cups of wet mix at 600+ calories. It hydrates almost instantly once hot water is applied. The downsides are teh overall cost, as it is more expensive than instant rice and ramen. Beef sticks are a good choice as well. The Old Wisconson Brand comes with 4 sticks per pack, with each stick at 90 calories. They can be eaten as is, or else chopped up and mixed with ramen or rice. Sometimes I like to pack peanuts or cashews as well because of the high calorie content, though most of it is from fat. On off shelf brand of cashews I bought from a local gas station would equal 2,000 calories from 1 cup! While I wouldn't use it as my primary food source, it would be a good supplement.

Instant potatoes can be used as a primary food source, or else added to soups and stews as a thickening agent. Like couscous, it hydrates at the first touch of water.

Instant oatmeal, such as the maple and brown sugar, is a favorite of mine. One cup yields 600+ calories (4 of the Quaker oatmeal packets). It can be eaten raw, with just a few swigs of water to swallow it.

Fat is considered taboo in the modern world, but it is still very important to our diets, especially when out in the wilds. Fat is hard to come by out there. It is especially useful for cold weather camping when our bodies need every ounce of calories it can get. I've read that the average through hiker of the AT needs to consume 3,000+ calories during warm weather, but nearly 5,000 calories in the winter. The internal fire in our bodies needs to keep burning in those conditions. There was a show that I watched with several people hiking to the south pole. They said they had to consume upwards of 10,000 calories a day!

Some may not like the idea of having food which requires water to cook, because it means carrying extra water (more weight) and/or cutting into their drinking water supply. The truth is that you will either be carrying the water separately for cooking or else the water content will already be present in ready to eat style foods. There is no need to worry about carrying a week's worth of water to cook a week's supply of food if a means to purify water is carried. If water is in such a short supply, you shouldn't be cooking or even eating ready-to-eat style foods. Our bodies need water to process the foods we eat. If we keep eating without the propper intake of water, it will dehydrate us even faster.

Last edited by Ramius; 04-16-2008 at 01:29 PM..
Old 04-16-2008, 04:57 PM
trois pour cent

Thanked 5,645 Times in 2,305 Posts

One more warning about the Ramen noodles. It's loaded with MSG. Many people are sensitive to it. If you tolerate it well, good for you and include it in your preps. But you may not be able to count on it to feed others. The stuff kills me.

From the Mayo Clinic:
Original Article:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mon...tamate/AN01251
Monosodium glutamate (MSG): Is it harmful?

Q.

Every Chinese restaurant I go to has a sign that says "No MSG." What is MSG? Is it bad for you?

A.

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is a flavor enhancer commonly added to Chinese food, canned vegetables, soups and processed meats. Although the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified MSG as a food ingredient that is "generally recognized as safe," the use of MSG remains controversial.

MSG has been used as a food additive for decades. Over the years, the FDA has received many anecdotal reports of adverse reactions to foods containing MSG. But subsequent research found no definitive evidence of a link between MSG and the symptoms that some people described after eating food containing MSG. As a result, MSG is still added to some foods.

A comprehensive review of all available scientific data on glutamate safety sponsored by the FDA in 1995 reaffirmed the safety of MSG when consumed at levels typically used in cooking and food manufacturing. The report found no evidence to suggest that MSG contributes to any long-term health problems, such as Alzheimer's disease. But it did acknowledge that some people may have short-term reactions to MSG. These reactions — known as MSG symptom complex — may include:

Headache, sometimes called MSG headache
Flushing
Sweating
Sense of facial pressure or tightness
Numbness, tingling or burning in or around the mouth
Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
Chest pain
Shortness of breath
Nausea
Weakness
Symptoms are usually mild and don't require treatment. However, some people report more severe reactions. The only way to prevent a reaction is to avoid foods containing MSG. When MSG is added to food, the FDA requires that "monosodium glutamate" be listed on the label — or on the menu, in restaurants.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:50 PM

I love beef sticks, and they're packed with fats and calories, which are good for the trip.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:51 AM
Hunter

Great info guys, thanks for sharing it!

Best Brands – Best Prices at http://www.survival-food-kits.com
When it comes to preparing for a disaster, every penny counts.
That’s why you never have to wait for our products to go on sale.
We offer the best brands at the best prices – every single day!
We search the world over for the best deals and then pass the savings on to you.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:22 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_Hawk View Post
5. Chocolate: Chocolate is high in carbs and sugars, and should be included in every pack. Hershey's Chocolate is a good choice.
I read somewhere that during the Winter War, Finnish commandos would carry chocolate because of it's energy spiking traits and it's volume to energy ratio
Old 11-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Semper Gumby

Right now I am hooked on the SPAM Lite singles packs. Protein, Fat, salt...everything a growing boy needs! Some facts about SPAM:

-SPAM is the the glue that binds the universe!
-SPAM cures cancer.
-Chuck Norris considers SPAM a worthy opponent.

(I may have fabricated the above facts)
The Following User Says Thank You to Dropkick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 AM

I've mentioned this on another post, but I'll type it again. A backpacking trick that we always use is go have a small bottle of olive oil with you. If you cook some pasta, add some seasonings, and then a couple of table spoons of olive oil to it, you have a tasty meal packed with calories. Olive oil has around 230 calories per tablespoon. That's alot of calories for only a small amount of weight. Also a big baggie of trail mix with peanuts, or other nuts, raisins, M&M's, and granola will always give a great amount of calories per oz.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:53 AM

Call me old fashioned, but the one thing I take on every camping trip is good old trail mix. I try to find some with M&Ms instead of chocolate chips to help with the melting, but a good mix of nuts, raisins, chocolate, and other stuff is great. A second bag of dried fruit style trail mix is a common bring as well. I avoid the "Chex Mix" type with pretzels - seems to be a waste of space.

I like pepperoni much better than jerky - not sure if there is any advantage to one over the other, just personal preference, and another something I like to take camping to munch on.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Hiker

Ramen noodles are entirely too bulky as well as having next to no nutritional value.

Dehydrated potato flakes
Dehydrated beans (cook and then dehydrate)
Instant rice

Mix those, some seasonings, with a packet of spam/tuna/slim jim and you have a very excellent meal. And take less water to prepare than ramen.