Stockpiling cheap 22 long rifle, should you? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Potassium iodide, on the cheap, long shelf life RovingPrepper Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 28 01-03-2019 08:37 AM
Stockpiling cheap survival knives for SHTF kev Knives, Swords & Axes 31 11-05-2015 08:05 PM
Stockpiling 22 long rifle for shtf / TEOTWAWKI kev Firearms General Discussion 71 10-20-2015 11:36 AM
308 rifle, first long range rifle McAngus Rifle Forum 19 08-20-2014 07:37 PM
Long range hand held for cheap Twofinger Communications 66 12-10-2011 11:38 AM
Stockpiling Survival Rifle Ammunition kev Firearms General Discussion 32 04-03-2011 12:14 PM
Cheap long lasting candle. spacelarry Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 03-13-2011 06:26 PM
Stockpiling ammo for a long term survival situation kev Firearms General Discussion 39 12-16-2010 12:03 PM
Stockpiling Footwear On The Cheap stonecypher Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 32 10-14-2009 12:25 PM

Old 04-12-2016, 11:23 PM
Hiker

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDogBoy View Post
So my source for 325 rounds of Federal AutoMatch for $25 is a good deal?!

I know very little about firearms and have just started stocking up on .22 ammo and 12 gauge shells while planning my future handgun/long gun purchases.
The cheapo Federal used to be $20 for a 500 round brick. The automatch was about the same or a little higher for 325 rounds. Better stuff than the cheapo federal. When I find it, it is about $21 to $25 (with limits on how many I can get). So if I am buying online and paying for shipping for 2 boxes (the limit)... your $25 per is a deal.

Don't want to derail the thread more than I already have, but:

Even in the last ammo scare, there was plenty of 12 gauge everywhere. 00 buckshot, slugs, bird shot, you name it. So, just my personal advice and opinion, I would move onto the handgun or long gun before a possible political mess/disaster flips the switch for the next scare to begin. If a new one is like the last one, you will still be able to get more 12 gauge then.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2016, 07:36 AM
I give up

Thanked 19,918 Times in 5,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov47 View Post
I'm also located in FL..how old is the 22LR you say went bad?

I keep all of my ammo in a spare bedroom which is temperature controlled. I haven't had any corrosion/moisture problems...
Some is surplus/leftover from my father-in-laws old hardware store. The hardware store has been gone for 15 years now, so it's older than that. And, that's kind of my point. That ammo has been stored in many locations, including a climate controlled storage area when we were building our current home. It was exposed to indoor conditions always. However, our AC is not always on, especially when I used to travel for weeks at a time (that's behind me now) and the house would get hot-n-humid.

Compare that to the 1945 45ACP ammo I have (from the same hardware store) , which has been stored similarly, and it's clear the 45 always goes bang. The 22 does not.

[Just a little note of interest, that WW-II 45ACP ammo has more kick and a louder bang than current Winchester white box 230 grain, on par with +P ammo of today. While I've not tested it, I suspect that 45ACP ball ammo from the war was fairly hot]
Old 04-13-2016, 08:09 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 19,200 Times in 5,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujet View Post
Some is surplus/leftover from my father-in-laws old hardware store. The hardware store has been gone for 15 years now, so it's older than that. And, that's kind of my point. That ammo has been stored in many locations, including a climate controlled storage area when we were building our current home. It was exposed to indoor conditions always. However, our AC is not always on, especially when I used to travel for weeks at a time (that's behind me now) and the house would get hot-n-humid.

Compare that to the 1945 45ACP ammo I have (from the same hardware store) , which has been stored similarly, and it's clear the 45 always goes bang. The 22 does not.

[Just a little note of interest, that WW-II 45ACP ammo has more kick and a louder bang than current Winchester white box 230 grain, on par with +P ammo of today. While I've not tested it, I suspect that 45ACP ball ammo from the war was fairly hot]
I think the oldest 22 ammo I have is probably about ten years old, but I use the older stuff first.

I own my own business and work from home so the HVAC is always set to keep the house at a constant 76 degrees year round. Even if we go on vacation we leave the thermostat set to 78.

Not sure if you're aware or not but mold spores can grow in a very short time span, especially in climates such as FL. I personally wouldn't leave the A/C off for more than a couple of days.

I have the knowledge and tools to repair my own A/C so if it goes down I usually have it fixed within a day...
Old 04-13-2016, 08:39 AM
Knowledge is Power

Thanked 8,911 Times in 2,889 Posts

Across the board with a sample size of a dozen .22 rifles, I have had the most consistant results with CCI Standard Velocity.

Semper Fi
The Following User Says Thank You to usmc0341 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2016, 08:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,619 Times in 3,933 Posts

Golden Bullets are my favorite. They work good in all of my 22LR firearms.
That includes a:
S&W K-22
Colt Frontier
Ruger 10/22
Advantage Arms Glock 19 Conversion
Norinco Copy of a Browning SA-22

Please everyone - leave those Golden Bullets on the shelves when you see em.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:17 AM

Rem Gold Bullet for plinking & practice.
Federal & CCI for stacking.

One brick of NEW Rem GB I purchased about 1 1/2 years ago had some rounds that were noticeably weaker when fired and significantly quieter. A few to the point that they didn't cycle my Ruger 22/45 but they all went bang (or at least "pop")

That reminds me, I need to my 22s some attention soon.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:11 AM
Gettin There

Thanked 2,030 Times in 776 Posts

It's kind of like the crazy/hot scale. How accurate do you need? A squirrels head is what? ~3" diameter. In theory most of of those rounds are good out to about 50 yards. I am sure people may have taken shots that far, but as for me the furthest I shoot at a squirrel is probably around 30-35 yards. Cheap rounds are more than good enough for that distance for me. Others may have the opportunity for further shots so it may not work as well for them.

Even though Golden Bullets are toward the bottom of the rounds I like I will say that as long as I have done my part they have worked every time. My Norinco K98K clone (I think the model is TU-KKW) in .22LR will put those through one hole all day long with boring regularity at 25 yards. MY Marlin 81TS barely creates a larger group. It is all about what the rifle likes.

I have a fair amount of Golden Bullets, a fair amount of the Federal bulk packs, and some CCI Blazer. Of the bulk packs I prefer the Federal. I don't like CCI Blazer for hunting, and absolutely hate Thunderbolts for everything.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,661 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin94 View Post
Not been that high in a couple years
Look at them on www.GUNBOT.net .
Old 04-13-2016, 01:25 PM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 13,678 Times in 4,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc0341 View Post
Across the board with a sample size of a dozen .22 rifles, I have had the most consistant results with CCI Standard Velocity.

Semper Fi
Same here. To the point that I won't buy anything else. With the 10/22s it will eat a dime sized hole in the target all day at 25yds.