Shaking off a 22lr hole - Page 8 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-27-2019, 02:32 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,657 Times in 3,844 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Is it possible that the ones we think are ****heads are the ones who become our best teachers? In other words, retrospect has taught me that the best teachers I had back in elementary school, junior high, and high school were the teachers I routinely referred to as ****heads.
Yep, the ones that didn't coddle us and made us understand what we were capable of. Whether it was physically or mentally.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2019, 02:35 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
No worries I have a plan, just need some threads. Some posters make assumptions about someone they don't even know (especially if that someone sees merit in rimfire).
EVERYONE here sees "merit in rimfire". But most are smart enough to understand its limitations as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 04:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,472 Times in 7,361 Posts

I teach. I use sarcasm....sometimes. But I donít use it exclusively, and I make sure the kid I used it on doesnít feel too stupid. I usually follow it up by mentioning how often I did the same stupid thing, and encouraging him to get past that. You canít use it on every kid, and you shouldnít use it in every situation.

But thereís a time and place where itís effective, it saves time, it gets the kid in the right frame of mind IF YOU DO IT RIGHT, and the reality is, it doesnít have to be nasty. Sarcasm among friends works too.

As far as threading a barrel? There are too many REALLY good guns out there at decent prices, that come with threaded barrels. Save some pennies and nickels, and buy one thatís done right.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,020 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
If you think that SEAL friend of yours was treated with kid gloves and respect during his training you are CLEARLY misinformed.

Not sure what military you have experience with sniper training in but the Marines will indeed still smoke you during any advanced training. As a Sgt I watched Majors and above get smoked during Jump School and one even dropped from the course. You pull your weight or you are gone. As a SSgt I wasn't even treated nicely in the Staff Academy.

If a person can't handle the pretty tame stuff they get on these forums then in all honesty they probably aren't going to function well in the much greater stress of an actual shtf event.

As Zeke said, show up trying to make it seem like you know a lot while spouting obviously incorrect information and you will get your ass handed to you. At which point you can either admit your error and learn or leave. We aren't here to make sure every snowflake will survive. On the other hand show up seeking knowledge/advice without an attitude and people here will bend over backwards trying to help with a depth of knowledge gathered over the collective years of many lifetimes.

Many of us that you imply don't know what the real world is like, have quite a bit of experience in the very nasty side of that real world.
I just meant to imply that the SEAL has moved on and is a very nice person. He doesn't think he has to be snarky with his fellow man.

I went through jump school and it was tough and showed no favoritism. But no one was singled out for insults either, all instruction was for the goal in mind. One of the instructors was from my company and I knew him more personally but that didn't affect him either way.

As a SSgt maybe you have problems adapting to civilian life. I was only in two years do I didn't progress beyond E4.

That being said, these forums are neither basic training or jump school, they are supposedly about helping people survive and snarkiness does not help in the slightest. Insults and ridicule are 3rd grade bullying tactics that have no place in a forum and handling them here has absolutely nothing to do with survival out there. It's easy to be an anonymous tough guy on a forum but at the end of the day have you done anything to be proud of?
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 04:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,020 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
I teach. I use sarcasm....sometimes. But I don’t use it exclusively, and I make sure the kid I used it on doesn’t feel too stupid. I usually follow it up by mentioning how often I did the same stupid thing, and encouraging him to get past that. You can’t use it on every kid, and you shouldn’t use it in every situation.

But there’s a time and place where it’s effective, it saves time, it gets the kid in the right frame of mind IF YOU DO IT RIGHT, and the reality is, it doesn’t have to be nasty. Sarcasm among friends works too.

As far as threading a barrel? There are too many REALLY good guns out there at decent prices, that come with threaded barrels. Save some pennies and nickels, and buy one that’s done right.
I see little value in sarcasm.

One thing about the real world is that I was trained to be successful. I don't have to save or finance anything but I still don't purchase things I don't need, or like (which gives me a problem in shopping for a car or motorcycle with today's design trends). I will look around at the next gun show, or at Sportsman's Warehouse.

The nearest Field and Stream owned by Dlck's Sporting Goods has sold out to Sportsman's Warehouse and reportedly will have 10,000 guns in stock. Quite a contrast to Dlck's Sporting Goods!
Old 10-27-2019, 05:03 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,933 Times in 4,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Is it possible that the ones we think are ****heads are the ones who become our best teachers? In other words, retrospect has taught me that the best teachers I had back in elementary school, junior high, and high school were the teachers I routinely referred to as ****heads.
Sure. They just may not be teaching what they think they are.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:28 PM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,920 Times in 1,935 Posts

Quote:
This is a bigger fantasy then shtf is.

While hits at those ranges are possible for VERY good shooters you aren't doing it with bulk pack Walmart ammo. Precision 22 ammo costs more per round then generic 5.56.

You want to shoot people at 100yds or better, get the 5.56.
100 yards 22lr is pretty easy ..

Winchester white box is 18 for 400. Works well enough to ring a small 12 inch gong all day long at 100 to 150 .
The Following User Says Thank You to recklessdriver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 05:47 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
I just mean to imply that the SEAL has moved on and is a very nice person. He doesn't think he has to be snarky with his fellow man.

I went through jump school and it was tough and showed no favoritism. But no one was singled out for insults either, all instruction was for the goal in mind. One of the instructors was from my company and I knew him more personally but that didn't affect him either way.

As a SSgt maybe you have problems adapting to civilian life. I was only in two years do I didn't progress beyond E4.

That being said, these forums are neither basic training or jump school, they are supposedly about helping people survive and snarkiness does not help in the slightest. Insults and ridicule are 3rd grade bullying tactics that have no place in a forum. It's easy to be an anonymous tough guy on a forum but at the end of the day have you done anything to be proud of?
Actually I was a GySgt when I got out 24yrs ago and adjusted to civilian life just fine.

You went through US Army jump school and no one was singled out for insults or punishment??? That along with your other comment about how nice people are treated after basic is starting to make things smell a bit fishy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 05:51 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessdriver View Post
100 yards 22lr is pretty easy ..

Winchester white box is 18 for 400. Works well enough to ring a small 12 inch gong all day long at 100 to 150 .
I never said 100yds wasn't easily doable. The comment was in reply to the OP's wanting to shoot people at 300yds with 22LR as a means of defense.

And you aren't making reliable hits at 300yds with Winchester white box 22 ammo.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:17 PM
Prepper elite

Quote:
I never said 100yds wasn't easily doable. The comment was in reply to the OP's wanting to shoot people at 300yds with 22LR as a means of defense.

And you aren't making reliable hits at 300yds with Winchester white box 22 ammo.
Honestly I probably could. I'll go out and try it.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:25 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
I'm quite sure you will EVENTUALLY be able to get hits at that distance even with crap Winchester ammo but in the context of the OPs post you need to be able to repeatedly get FIRST round hits and not just on a totally calm day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 06:27 PM
Prepper elite

Quote:
I'm quite sure you will EVENTUALLY be able to get hits at that distance even with crap Winchester ammo but in the context of the OPs post you need to be able to repeatedly get FIRST round hits and not just on a totally calm day.
Majority of the people here couldn't do it with any caliber. Much less the public.

Crappy ammo..... eh yeah I'll blow 20 a box of elrey every time I want to plink.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:28 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Use video. We can all use a laugh about now.

Hope thatís not too sarcastic....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 06:29 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
I see little value in sarcasm.

One thing about the real world is that I was trained to be successful. I don't have to save or finance anything but I still don't purchase things I don't need, or like (which gives me a problem in shopping for a car or motorcycle with today's design trends). I will look around at the next gun show, or at Sportsman's Warehouse.

The nearest Field and Stream owned by Dlck's Sporting Goods has sold out to Sportsman's Warehouse and reportedly will have 10,000 guns in stock. Quite a contrast to Dlck's Sporting Goods!
So you supposedly have ALL that money yet are worried about the cost to have what you want done RIGHT????
Old 10-27-2019, 06:30 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,740 Times in 830 Posts

Not heard this much whining since the Hillary for Pres 2016 Reunion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 06:32 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 10,294 Times in 3,150 Posts

Quote:
Actually I was a GySgt when I got out 24yrs ago and adjusted to civilian life just fine.

You went through US Army jump school and no one was singled out for insults or punishment??? That along with your other comment about how nice people are treated after basic is starting to make things smell a bit fishy.
I went through jump school in Apr/May of 1990. ~1/2 of my training company was marines, mostly force recon guys. 2 of my 3 room mates in jump school were marines. We ALL caught hell from the black hats. Of course the marines caught hell too. One of our black hats favorite things to do was call out a cadence saying "Marines are part of the navy". While true, it REALLY irked them. He also used to do this thing where he'd say something like 1st platoon was full of nerds & geeks, 2nd platoon was full of geeks & nerds. There were some who cried about that one, so he started calling "You want your milk & cookies, you want your mom & daddy!" Now I expect "nerds & geeks" was toned down as it was mixed training (females) as when I was in infantry basic/ait a few weeks earlier (all male back then) the insults we got were MUCH more graphic. There of course was also 1 on 1 education that civilians would consider not merely rude, but down right nasty, maybe even vicious. Oddly enough, most of us managed to not start crying, learned the stuff we were supposed to & got our blue cords. My kid is currently in the army (11B) & while he agrees things are much softer than they were 20+ years ago they still aren't any "safe space" free from sarcasm, criticism & outright insults. I imagine in the future our "kinder, gentler" military will contribute to our downfall. But hey, at least they won't be getting called any mean names as some mooselimb beheads them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 07:00 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Majority of the people here couldn't do it with any caliber. Much less the public.

Crappy ammo..... eh yeah I'll blow 20 a box of elrey every time I want to plink.
You must live in a strange world.

Talking to a guy at church, his kid shot a buck Friday morning before school. 300 Wby Mag, he was going to suggest they try to get closer after he ranged it at 550 yards, but the kid shot it dead before he could say anything. DRT, spine shot over the front shoulder.

300 yards isn’t squat.

Unless you are dealing with 10-12 feet of drop, and wind drift from hell that the 22lr will throw at you.

Hey, but you’re just that good, I guess.

And yes, WWB is crappy ammo.
But I still shoot a pile of it. When the hits and misses don’t matter.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 07:02 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
I went through jump school in Apr/May of 1990. ~1/2 of my training company was marines, mostly force recon guys. 2 of my 3 room mates in jump school were marines. We ALL caught hell from the black hats. Of course the marines caught hell too. One of our black hats favorite things to do was call out a cadence saying "Marines are part of the navy". While true, it REALLY irked them. He also used to do this thing where he'd say something like 1st platoon was full of nerds & geeks, 2nd platoon was full of geeks & nerds. There were some who cried about that one, so he started calling "You want your milk & cookies, you want your mom & daddy!" Now I expect "nerds & geeks" was toned down as it was mixed training (females) as when I was in infantry basic/ait a few weeks earlier (all male back then) the insults we got were MUCH more graphic. There of course was also 1 on 1 education that civilians would consider not merely rude, but down right nasty, maybe even vicious. Oddly enough, most of us managed to not start crying, learned the stuff we were supposed to & got our blue cords. My kid is currently in the army (11B) & while he agrees things are much softer than they were 20+ years ago they still aren't any "safe space" free from sarcasm, criticism & outright insults. I imagine in the future our "kinder, gentler" military will contribute to our downfall. But hey, at least they won't be getting called any mean names as some mooselimb beheads them.
Apparently Eddie_T went through the "My Little Pony" version of jump school. LOL

I went to jump school at Ft Lee in 1981. Even there where we got to skip the initial week of weeding out PT, things weren't very pleasant. Especially for a Marine.

Congrats to your son. My grandson is a SSgt on his second enlistment in Army Infantry as well and currently stationed in CO.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:08 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
...The indexing tool can damage the rifling just enough to affect accuracy. Have you ever threaded a barrel? Cutting the barrel to 0.050 plus using the die is quite a few turns of an indexing guide in the bore, a lathe is the preferred approach...
Agree lathe is the preferred method but an indexing tool is softer then the barrel and shouldn't cause any damage.

Especially not enough to worry about on the cheap rifle you claim to be wanting to do it to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 07:08 PM
Prepper elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
You must live in a strange world.

Talking to a guy at church, his kid shot a buck Friday morning before school. 300 Wby Mag, he was going to suggest they try to get closer after he ranged it at 550 yards, but the kid shot it dead before he could say anything. DRT, spine shot over the front shoulder.

300 yards isnít squat.

Unless you are dealing with 10-12 feet of drop, and wind drift from hell that the 22lr will throw at you.

Hey, but youíre just that good, I guess.

And yes, WWB is crappy ammo.
But I still shoot a pile of it. When the hits and misses donít matter.

Sooo you're the majority now..

WWB groups less that a inch at a 100
I'll live with that results