Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-07-2019, 09:40 PM
°Salga de aquŪ!

Thanked 8,982 Times in 2,974 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
BTW, In the not to distant future, you will see these waterproof cases for sale.
Which resolves the Zippo fuel evaporation issue.
As a Zippo insert fits perfectly inside one.

Molle compatible and/or belt clip

I gotta have one. Tell me more...
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MeTarzan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 10:33 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 23,892 Times in 7,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTarzan View Post
I gotta have one. Tell me more...
It will be a few weeks before the shipment arrives.
Will do a show & tell pic demo - when it does.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:38 PM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 6,393 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
They always go dry on me. Gave up on them many years ago because of that. They where always dead when I needed one and I didnít want a lighter that required a maintenance cycle to keep functional.
I've tried to love them, but this is my exact issue.

I purchased one a year ago. Ever so often, I pull it out and can't get it to flame. I then fill it up with fuel again and it works. Then a month later... its dry and won't work again.

I even made sure it is stored, standing up-right. Didn't matter.

I'm all ears... what am I doing wrong? I'm not a smoker, so it will never be used unless I need it in an emergency and need to light a fire.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 11:26 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
I've tried to love them, but this is my exact issue.

I purchased one a year ago. Ever so often, I pull it out and can't get it to flame. I then fill it up with fuel again and it works. Then a month later... its dry and won't work again.

I even made sure it is stored, standing up-right. Didn't matter.

I'm all ears... what am I doing wrong? I'm not a smoker, so it will never be used unless I need it in an emergency and need to light a fire.
Double ranger bands slow Zippo fuel evaporation considerably.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,527 Times in 1,627 Posts

I have a couple Zippo's and knock-offs. And one of the tighter sealing vintage lighters that Bunkerbuster sometimes shows. I don't carry or use them on a daily basis. One of my Zippo's has a butane insert (still have the original insert set aside) because the butane jet is better for toasting the foot of my occasional cigar. The Zippo type lighters are just another tool in the toolbox that can be pressed into service should the need arise. If SHTF, I figure I might have more need of a flame more often than I do now.
I also have several peanut lighters. One in my pocket every day. One on my EDC bag. One in each BoB. I also have a few of the Zippo hand warmers and somewhere an original Jon-E handwarmer that run on lighter fluid. Those things are great and will be much appreciated once the disposable warmers are gone.
Because of that I have several cans of lighter fluid and plenty of naphtha. Also, secure, leakproof, portable ways to carry fluid, including Stanley flasks from Walmart (one in each BoB), Zippo fuel canisters (one in my pocket and one on my EDC).
I have a bunch of ways to start a fire. Tons of matches, both strike anywhere and on box, in large and small sizes. God knows how many ferro rods/strikers. All shapes and sizes of butane lighters and torches and cans of butane to refill them. Naturally, lots of disposable Bic lighters (they are everywhere, too). PotPerm/Glycerin. Homemade and store bought tinder's too many to count.
Probably more.
I don't know which I might need when. So Zippo's and the necessary fluid are part of it all.
Plus, it's fun!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,341 Times in 1,808 Posts

I say again for those who glossed over my earlier post getting into thread drift.

I pick up old Zippos and knockoffs cheap at yard sales. I then "field strip" them to remove the inner packing, and then stuff the body with petroleum jelly infused cotton balls, put an extra flint on top of the PJCB stack, and also tuck a couple more PJCBs inside the folding cover.

This makes a great compact fire kit carrier for tinder and reliable flint wheel striker you can always have with you. It contains tinder and flint for making 6-10 fires in your pocket. I put one in a pocket of EVERY outer garment.

The petroleum jelly will never, ever evaporate! and I don't waste my fire by lighting tobbacco...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 11:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,020 Times in 1,583 Posts

I have never tried it but will a Zippo in a snack ZipLock bag solve the problem. Right now I don't recall where my old Zippo is but I am sure I didn't toss it.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:59 AM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,341 Times in 1,808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
I have never tried it but will a Zippo in a snack ZipLock bag solve the problem. Right now I don't recall where my old Zippo is but I am sure I didn't toss it.
Did not work for me, nor did a single Ranger Band.

The double-band idea posted above is worth a try.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 12:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,805 Times in 1,848 Posts

Zippo = Harley Davidson
Bic=Honda
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 07:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,970 Times in 2,129 Posts

I still carry a zippo, a couple of knock offs from the 60's with marijuana leaves on them and some metal matches. Part of my fall deer season ritual is to fill all of them with fuel. I don't smoke so the only use they get is fire starting during deer season. I really like the metal matches. extra flints last a really long time if you don't smoke. i put metal matches on my packs for zipper pulls
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 11:09 AM
read more, post less

Quote:
It will be a few weeks before the shipment arrives.
Will do a show & tell pic demo - when it does.
Please count me in on when you do this show & tell and how I can purchase one if you plan on putting them up for sale.

Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teddyearp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 04:38 PM
Dog & Reptiles eater

Thanked 1,317 Times in 692 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
BTW, In the not to distant future, you will see these waterproof cases for sale.
Which resolves the Zippo fuel evaporation issue.
As a Zippo insert fits perfectly inside one.

Molle compatible and/or belt clip

Is that thing made by Zippo? or some unknown manufacturer somewhere? Does it actually work as advertised?
Where to buy it?

Thanks beforehand
Old 10-13-2019, 08:19 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,072 Times in 464 Posts

I like mine don't use it as much as I used to but you need to keep a bick inside your jacket or sometimes it wont light or sometimes gets full of fluff from your pocket when we were kids you carried wooden matches in a waterproof case or a zippo and made hundred's of campfires usually to thaw out your sammich that was frozen solid
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wldrbob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 10:01 PM
VIP Member

Some vintage flint wheel lighter fluid fueled lighters SEAL much tighter that Zippo’s.
Which GREATLY slows down fuel evaporation, which Zippo’s are well known for.

For instance, vintage Ronson Typhoon lighters are a good example:

They have a protruding ridge around the top of the insert, that the lower case & upper lid seal fairly tightly against. Once ranger banded, that seal area is that much tighter.

SEE BELOW:

Smaller compact No 4, 5 & 6 brass pull top lighters also seal tightly
(because of the way the case is constructed)

Both can be found on eBay cheap, with careful patient shopping.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:03 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,005 Times in 953 Posts
Exclamation

Man if you guys put half this much energy and effort into maintaining your equipment there wouldnít be any issues or questions about if a zippo will work for you or not!

Iíve never smoked and yet carry a Zippo every winter and have for years! Itís a piece of gear that will work in pretty much any temperature and at any altitude. It is also very unlikely to rupture on you since itís not sealed!

Itís made out of real stuff in this country and designed to last for a very long time!

You ďpayĒ for these advantages with regular fueling and minimal maintenance.

SD
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SheepDog68 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 01:27 PM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,152 Posts

Kind of funny that we have an argument going on about the merits of a cheap disposable, non refillable, non repairable, vs. a multi-fuel, serviceable, that could be passed on to the next generation...

Bic are okay. Much like the cheap clear body pens, they do a good job of non critical work. I'll say that it is somewhat less common to get a dud, but it happens. Seals fail, or a seam leaks, and that is the end of it. Not wind proof in the slightest, and challenging to keep going due to ergonomic restraints, while adding material or getting the flame in the right spot occasionally.

Found that Zippo style lighters are much more forgiving in the wind, and when it's challenging to get a fire going. I don't believe that I have any Zippo brand lighters, but the Star lighters are very similar and work well. Adding fuel isn't really a draw back, more of a maintenance. Just like flashlight batteries. Melting a little candle wax around the edge of the insert seems to help. When I go out, I usually have a little extra fuel. It's easy to carry a small UTS(?) vial. Or a small lighter fluid dispenser.

I also like the small peanut style lighters that look like a large stainless pill. They aren't quite as wind proof, but with the o-ring top, they are water proof, and have used one to start a fire, having not filled it for about 4 months.

I always have lighter fluid in the door pockets of my vehicles, but if I am in the vehicle, I can use gas, or other fluids, or a mixture of fluids in a pinch.

I used to think pretty highly of a piezo sparked micro torch that I carried hunting, camping, and exploring. I would also carry a spare Ronson style lighter as a refill for it as well. It was a good tool, but I recognized that it could quit. A little moisture in the wrong spot could mess it up for while. Finally the ignition quit, and that was it. Also carried a few refillable jet lighters, but eventually they seem to quit, or leak.

Read an article on a survival Zippo in Backwoodsman, and I did kind of dismiss it at the time. I've come to realize that I took the simplicity and durability of these lighters for granted. Now, more often than not I'll find that I tend to slip a Star into my watch pocket as part of EDC.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 09:00 PM
VIP Member

Resolves the ZIPPO weather, moisture proofing & fuel evaporation issues

Housing accepts standard Zippo lighter & similar clone lighter inserts including both fluid and butane torch models

O-ring seal keeps the elements out and minimizes evaporation

Low-profile MOLLE/PALS webbing clip

Spring loaded cap for one-handed operation

Made of rugged, heat-resistant reinforced polymer

LINK
(I am not affiliated)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Un...53.m2749.l2649

If (by chance) you want a wholesale deal on a 100 or more, I have a link - PM me
Old 10-25-2019, 12:16 AM
read more, post less

Sold! Well, one at least. Gotta try before one buys in bulk.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,020 Times in 1,583 Posts

And Zippo has that lifetime guarantee.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 08:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,376 Times in 3,840 Posts

I have a zippo, a dispenser of flints and a bottle of lighter fluid in a ziplock bag in my main pack. The lighter came with extra wick material under the cotton flap. When I smoked a bottle would last more than a year and that was lighting 20-30 cigarettes a day.
I figure whatís in my pack will last longer than a person would likely survive if things ever got so bad you couldnít get another bottle.

I think sometimes people overthink things. Zippos still exist because theyíre durable and reliable, itís one of the few products that was 98% perfect from the day it was first made.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Revmgt For This Useful Post: