Video: Dogs and I Walking Around The Farm - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-01-2018, 10:01 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 40,707 Times in 8,035 Posts
Default Video: Dogs and I Walking Around The Farm

Advertise Here

Dogs and I walking around the farm looking at trees and nature. Storms came through a few days ago and we are looking for oak trees that may have fallen down.

Part of what we look at is a nature conservation area. The nature conservation area would be home for various wildlife, such as deer, squirrels and rabbits. There is a creek running nearby, so wildlife would have everything they need.

The video preview image Bubba looks skinny. I assure everyone the puppy gets plenty to eat. All of my dogs lead an active lifestyle. How many dogs get to chase a deer for fun like in the video?

Except for the coonhound mix, all of my dogs are lean because they get plenty of exercise chasing wildlife and exploring.

At 50 years old I will probably not see the wildlife conservation area in its full glory, but maybe my grandkids will.

Last edited by kev; 03-01-2018 at 12:48 PM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 11:24 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 64,219 Times in 15,110 Posts

Excellent video, thanks for posting it. You have a nice property, and it's good that you're interested in conserving it. So many people don't care, they just want to brush hog it all down and plant St. Augustine and some crepe myrtles and call it good.

Is Bubba a Blackmouth Cur? FWIW, years ago we had two males, and they were both thin. They ate like pigs, but they were very active. Our vet assured us they were healthy, no parasites, and we fed them good quality food, but they were always thin.

You're not too far from me. Do you have many native fruit and nut trees on your property? They're great for providing food for wildlife as well as restoring a property that was logged over or cleared. Many of the species are understory trees, and most people just brush hog them down, often not recognizing them for what they are, particularly hawthornes as unless they are blooming or fruiting because they just look like straggly trash tree saplings.

About 15 years ago I became very interested in restoring the flora on this place to a more native state. At the time the Texas Forest Service sold native tree saplings in the spring but I don't think they do that anymore. I obtained mayhaws through them. They are now mature trees that set fruit for wildlife. In fact, they are blooming right now.

I also propagated many others like native persimmon, a few other native hawthornes like parsley hawthorne, native pecans, Shagbark hickory and Pignut hickory, and two 'colors' of wild plum. I couldn't afford to buy the number of saplings I wanted, so I obtained ripe fruit whenever I could and grew them myself. I even have a few of the rare native wild apple strain that has all but disappeared from east Texas, Malus angustifolia. It was never common, and it's just about gone now. I was able to obtain seedlings from a Florida nursery that specialized in native plants.

Everywhere I went, I'd have plastic bags and a marker in my vehicle so in case I saw a native fruit tree with ripe fruit, I'd stop and get some for seed. I once had the manager of a Starbucks come out of the store to ask me what I was doing. They had a clump of parsley hawthornes growing between their parking lot and a driveway, of all places, and the fruit were ripe. I picked about half a cup of the tiny fruit. I explained what I was doing and he just shook his head and gave me a weird look.

Propagation is not hard for most species, but it does take time and diligence. But it's a great way to restore a property so it's native state, or at least as much as it can be.

Native grasses are also good to consider in a restoration and conservation plan.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:49 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 40,707 Times in 8,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHannah View Post
Is Bubba a Blackmouth Cur? FWIW, years ago we had two males, and they were both thin. They ate like pigs, but they were very active. Our vet assured us they were healthy, no parasites, and we fed them good quality food, but they were always thin.

You're not too far from me. Do you have many native fruit and nut trees on your property? They're great for providing food for wildlife as well as restoring a property that was logged over or cleared. Many of the species are understory trees, and most people just brush hog them down, often not recognizing them for what they are, particularly hawthornes as unless they are blooming or fruiting because they just look like straggly trash tree saplings.
Yes, I have two black mouth curs - Bubba and Buster.

Yes, I have some pear trees, apple trees, pecan, and a few other trees.
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post: