Ladies: Intentional Communities? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**LADIES SECTION** Men After 40 lose Their Sex Drive! Mogli Ladies Section 112 01-09-2018 02:02 PM
**Ladies Section**GHB/BoB weight for ladies... (Ladies section) 13ella Ladies Section 55 06-30-2016 12:34 PM
Homestead Heritage & Intentional Communities Mullenite Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 01-02-2015 01:34 PM
Is societies collapse INTENTIONAL? YummyMummy Controversial News and Alternative Politics 25 03-26-2013 02:37 AM
Survival Communities Dittywatt DIY - Do It Yourself 1 05-31-2012 09:48 AM
Be wary of intentional poisoning. BJJ_Grappler Food and water 1 05-30-2012 11:03 PM
Oil Rig- Accident or Intentional Karnus Controversial News and Alternative Politics 19 05-03-2010 10:30 PM
Looking to start an intentional community in SW New Mexico One Smart Monkey General Discussion 2 01-27-2009 10:53 PM

Old 11-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Thinker

Thanked 1,390 Times in 628 Posts
Default Ladies: Intentional Communities?

Advertise Here

What do you all think of intentional communities - are they a viable option for homesteading, or a mess waiting to happen? I came across one the other day in New Mexico - it seems like it would be a wonderful way to spend a few months working the land, learning homesteading skills, making friends. I would be able to learn more about green building practices, solar, sustainability and more, and there is no cost, just participating in the work in order to share in the food.

What I'm wondering about is if anyone has had experience living in a similar situation and what the possible risks or downsides might be? Also would this be a viable model for post-SHTF living?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to prepgal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Gypsy in the Midwest

Thanked 3,046 Times in 870 Posts

I think they are good because they teach self-sufficiency. I've read about the Farm in Tennessee and other communities. I would love to go learn to be a midwife at The Farm!

Part of the issue is many are based on religious or drug use reasons. While I have nothing against someone that wants to occasionally partake of a little pot once in a while, these communities are often not in states where it is legal. I don't want to have legal issues because of other people's choices nor would I want to expose my kids to that. (* I don't let them around people who are drinking either) It would suck to live in a community & all the land be confiscated. I also don't want to be involved in any Jim Jones type insanity. (Or if you look at what happened in Waco.)

I like that many are now based on "Green Living" and less on the other reasons.

I like the idea of like minded people being neighbors & each owning their own land. I don't like the community/church owning the land as someone can always be "voted off the island" or held responsible for others actions. I don't think I could or would want to be part of a group long term.

I'd love to go visit a community BUT I think having kids makes it kinda unrealistic for me. If I had the $ and opportunity, I would do it. (I know you said it was "no cost". A person still needs money to pay their bills at home so they have a place to return to.) I don't think I could just go off for a few months alone & leave the kids. Plus, We are trying to get pregnant & due to my age, I need to hurry up or give up on it soon.

I guess that is why I watch lots of youtube videos & read stuff here. I can learn from the online community. I can get ideas and try them here at home. I also like to read old books. I have several old books that talk about how to do things . Our goal is to be self-sufficient some point but it will take a long time for us to get there and still maintain our current standard of life. ( If SHTF tomorrow, I think we have better odds than most.) I also think living near one of these communities & knowing the people would be a good thing. If a person lived near Amish, Mennonites, or a self-sufficiency community, it would be in the person's best interest to start trading with them & getting to know them now.

Sorry this was so long.
The Following User Says Thank You to MonaMomma For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 43,170 Times in 9,571 Posts

Prepgal - see if you can visit for a couple of days. Take the temperature of the group... look for whispering among a pair or few people. Is there tension in the air? Look for things that arent explained without "initiation" or "study". Ask specifically about community rules, how things are decided, how disputes are resolved, personal property.

I was loosely associated with such a community once. It was a good experience, for me... but I was really ready to say goodbye when I did. I could not have lived there. Its not for everyone and there are ALWAYS the same human interaction issues there, as everywhere else... no matter what anyone says.