Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here

Old 07-02-2020, 09:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,621 Times in 2,159 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDefense View Post
There is no integrity in China. It's not considered a good business practice.

I worked with manufacturers in China in the late 1980s and early 1990s. I've been there several times.

No trade secrets are sacred in China. There is a saying that if you tell a manufacturer a trade secret in the morning, everyone in that industry in China will know it by the afternoon. The only way US companies can control the Chinese is to have their own representatives working in the Chinese facilities. That's why we had 40,000 Americans in China when the pandemic started.
True words Their "values"/integrity is to rape the roundeyes. Olympic sport. Has been the standard for China for millenia. Not Chinese, any race, you count for NOTHING.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 09:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,621 Times in 2,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
We have helped the Chinese all along to get to that point. Technology transfer from the 80's, universities courting Chinese students, US manufacturers moving production to China for cheap labor. Consumers demanding increasingly cheaper products, We have only our selves to blame.
Typically, you're off with your calendar. The big game started with your idol Billy Bob Klinton. More prog rewrite of history.

Bush did little to slow it down. Obumer loved the chicoms and shifted it into high.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 08:22 AM
democrats = Hydra

Thanked 10,235 Times in 3,850 Posts

not sure of division between China government and industry.

a few years ago I got a bunch of counterfeit silver dollars at a swap shop. looked like Chinese dollars circa early 20th century. something like ten for three dollars.
I internet searched and first thing that popped up was 'do you mean FAKE Chinese Silver Dollars?'
they stuck to a magnet. real silver dollars of course don't do that.

anybody, even overseas, that made counterfeit US currency would be hunted down. of course the Chinese government back then isn't the same as today's.

Last edited by Sailorsam; 07-03-2020 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: add content
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailorsam For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 12:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,776 Times in 933 Posts

With the increase in gold price it will only get worse which is why I'm now buying silver only and in junk 90% form. I don't imagine they are faking Kennedy's, Franklin's or Roosevelt's yet.
Let me stress the yet part and as the price of silver physical goes up, anything's on the table.
The Following User Says Thank You to xstuntman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 01:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
With the increase in gold price it will only get worse which is why I'm now buying silver only and in junk 90% form. I don't imagine they are faking Kennedy's, Franklin's or Roosevelt's yet.
Let me stress the yet part and as the price of silver physical goes up, anything's on the table.
I wish that were the case. There are fine repops of every coin you can think of. I’m too lazy to link all but here’s one:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...6c6b5e12LjqUV4

They can sell them with “copy” inscribed, or not. Junk silver, ASE’s, commems...everything. Some of us collect these repros and even the cast examples are hard to tell from real.

Ok, another
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...10c63dddNePTaN

These have been avail for years now. Everything.

Even high dollar slabs/labels are being repopped and can fool some dealers.
The Following User Says Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 10:17 AM
democrats = Hydra

Thanked 10,235 Times in 3,850 Posts

caveat empor

more important than ever to buy from a reputable dealer

IIRC in WWII the krauts tried counterfeiting Brit money to mess with their economy. inevitably some nation with decent tech resources (Iran, China) will start counterfeiting dollars in quantity.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailorsam For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 11:32 AM
Hiker

I believe Iran already has. When the Shah was in power the US sent them some of the intaglio presses that we make our money on.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,914 Times in 6,032 Posts

My friend wanted me to build for her a colloidal silver generator, and i began by using some silver she had bought on line; turned out junk not silver at all.
I ended up using my own bullion silver to make the silver rods.
Buying any precious metal is a gamble from any one for any price.
The Following User Says Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 06:46 PM
Survivor

Just roll hunt and pull silver dimes or halves.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:47 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorsam View Post
caveat empor

more important than ever to buy from a reputable dealer

IIRC in WWII the krauts tried counterfeiting Brit money to mess with their economy. inevitably some nation with decent tech resources (Iran, China) will start counterfeiting dollars in quantity.
Counterfeits make it past dealers.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:10 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,463 Times in 987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txprep View Post
For those of you who hate govt regulation, china is what business looks like without regulation. It is the wild west with people doing whatever they can get away with. How many corners can you cut to save a penny, until the system breaks.

US regulation didnt just come out of nowhere, businesses in the US operated the same way until the govt forced regulation on them to improve quality and safety.
China has more regulation than the USA. They are just only for the protection of the Chinese government not the people and certainly not Americans.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:44 AM

So much fake gold floating around out there.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:53 AM
Dog Lives Matter

Thanked 22,313 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote:
We have helped the Chinese all along to get to that point. Technology transfer from the 80's, universities courting Chinese students, US manufacturers moving production to China for cheap labor. Consumers demanding increasingly cheaper products, We have only our selves to blame.

The Japanese at least invented their own stuff, sold it in their own market first to ensure quality. Made in Japan was a joke for about 10 years post war, then they made amazing well engineered motorcycles, electronics and cars. Much of it till serviceable decades later.

US manufacturers feared Japanese quality and chose Chinese quality, you do have to admit there is a lot of ingenuity in making something from absolutely nothing.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Most Japanese electronics products are currently manufactured in China, as well. Japan's rising affluence priced them out of the market in the early 1990s with the growth of Chinese and South Korean manufacturing, both of which had much lower labor costs. The Japanese moved a major segment of their manufacturing to China. Some of it went to Malaysia as well. Japan has been in a recession since the early 1990s, but at least their major manufacturers survive.

It wasn't just major manufacturing that collapsed in Japan, but also the subcontractor networks. I worked with about 150 manufacturers in Japan, many of which were part of the subcontractor networks. A major company and its subcontractors formed a keretsu, which was a network of affiliated companies. Members of each keretsu supported other members and only bought their products. Major manufacturers at the top of the chain bought stock in the smaller companies. Each keretsu had a beer brand that sponsored them. Members only bought that brand of beer. The associations within keretsus were extensive.

Keretsu

Japan is currently paying Japanese corporations to move their manufacturing back to Japan. If they are successful, that could revitalize the Japan economy. I would gladly pay more for an HDTV made in Japan, because I know the quality will be top notch.

Japanese quality was crap in the 1950s and 1960s. Some of us remember Jap radios and how easily they fell apart. Then they embraced Deming's quality manufacturing philosophies. That transformed manufacturing in Japan. The Deming Award is still the highest manufacturing award in Japan.

W. Edwards Deming

I spent about three months out of each year in the 1980s working in Japan. That was their heyday. I still have a lot of respect for the Japanese and their culture. I cannot say the same for China or South Korea.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 10:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,045 Times in 2,826 Posts

The CCP is systematically choking off its income streams with the HK crackdown and the manufacturing exodus domestically. Meanwhile, they are doing a huge military buildup for an eventual westward push and attempting to use infrastructure projects overseas to create ports for thier expanding belt and band trading network. Fake gold, a national deficit twice the size of the EU proportionatey and an artificial stock market bubble designed to loot the unwaty or simply greedy is making up the income dip needed.

This is likely where the next international economic crash originates. OTOH, that will likely shor up the USD as money runs for cover.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 03:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,641 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Do you hold physical gold? Why not an ETF?
The tax on gains for an ETF is greater than the tax for gains on physical gold or gold futures and there will be some fees too.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:52 PM
Business Owner

Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,364 Posts

Lots of counterfeit Chinese products out there.

I ordered 10 1oz Silver bullion coins from an ad on FaceBook for what seemed to be a great price back in February.

I immediately tried to cancel payment when the "American" company that sent the receipt had their contact info all in Chinese characters. It took 2 months of investigations by the company I paid with to finally get action on "Item not delivered" after they had sent fake USPS shipping numbers.

I finally did get the package and with my 10 Silver 1-oz rounds, they included 3 plastic vegetable slicers!

The Silver rounds turned out to be fake. There is probably 7/10 of an ounce of silver in each, and the minting is nice (but not fine) other than 1 extra ray of sunshine behind the rising sun. I filed a counterfeit claim and all my money was refunded, they didn't even ask for the rounds back.

I have several 20 amp DPDT switches I bought a few years ago. Even though the packaging says 20Amp, they are stamped 15 Amp. They don't even hold that much. Recently was using one with a 10 am continuous load. It got hot and higher resistance kept causing overcurrent and tripping on the equipment using it. I replaced with Gardner Bender switches I ordered and they work great. Funny thing, the good Gardner-Bender switches sell for less....

I have a business doing Christmas lighting. I buy and use a lot of LED Christmas lights, so much so I can buy direct from the manufacturers. There are 3 manufacturers in China that make the LED bulbs. 1 makes great, high quality bulbs under at least 3 different brand names. All the bulbs are identical, just some are $0.80 each wholesale, some are $0.03 each wholesale. The other 2 manufacturers have bulbs not nearly as good quality wise, but they try and counterfeit the bulbs from the good manufacturer. They are usually pretty easy for me to spot. Funny that the Chinese are trying to steal from themselves! I have not found a good quality manufacturer of these bulbs in the USA. I would love to buy from here, but they just don't seem to exist.

Bottom line is try to know as much as possible about what you are buying and be wary of stuff that is too cheap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrianWorf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 07:12 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWorf View Post
Lots of counterfeit Chinese products out there.

I ordered 10 1oz Silver bullion coins from an ad on FaceBook for what seemed to be a great price back in February.

I immediately tried to cancel payment when the "American" company that sent the receipt had their contact info all in Chinese characters. It took 2 months of investigations by the company I paid with to finally get action on "Item not delivered" after they had sent fake USPS shipping numbers.

I finally did get the package and with my 10 Silver 1-oz rounds, they included 3 plastic vegetable slicers!

The Silver rounds turned out to be fake. There is probably 7/10 of an ounce of silver in each, and the minting is nice (but not fine) other than 1 extra ray of sunshine behind the rising sun. I filed a counterfeit claim and all my money was refunded, they didn't even ask for the rounds back.

I have several 20 amp DPDT switches I bought a few years ago. Even though the packaging says 20Amp, they are stamped 15 Amp. They don't even hold that much. Recently was using one with a 10 am continuous load. It got hot and higher resistance kept causing overcurrent and tripping on the equipment using it. I replaced with Gardner Bender switches I ordered and they work great. Funny thing, the good Gardner-Bender switches sell for less....

I have a business doing Christmas lighting. I buy and use a lot of LED Christmas lights, so much so I can buy direct from the manufacturers. There are 3 manufacturers in China that make the LED bulbs. 1 makes great, high quality bulbs under at least 3 different brand names. All the bulbs are identical, just some are $0.80 each wholesale, some are $0.03 each wholesale. The other 2 manufacturers have bulbs not nearly as good quality wise, but they try and counterfeit the bulbs from the good manufacturer. They are usually pretty easy for me to spot. Funny that the Chinese are trying to steal from themselves! I have not found a good quality manufacturer of these bulbs in the USA. I would love to buy from here, but they just don't seem to exist.

Bottom line is try to know as much as possible about what you are buying and be wary of stuff that is too cheap.
you learn by your mistakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to fistfulladirt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 07:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,914 Times in 6,032 Posts

I caught fake silver as well.
I melt silver down for rods for making colloidal silver and it's easy to see what's real and what's not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2020, 08:09 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I caught fake silver as well.
I melt silver down for rods for making colloidal silver and it's easy to see what's real and what's not.
How much C silver do you move?
Old 07-18-2020, 08:13 PM
Business Owner

Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
you learn by your mistakes.
Yes I do. Every Day!