Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-30-2020, 02:34 PM
Live Free or Die

Thanked 13,125 Times in 3,039 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inazone View Post
Probably a good thing for me that it's either no longer made, or at least no longer sold locally.
Yeah, same here. That was too much sugar.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2020, 02:47 PM
Free of the Wilderness

Thanked 12,585 Times in 2,523 Posts

I don't think I would entirely give up caffeine, but I don't consume as much as I used to. When I was in college, it was Mt. Dew. After I joined the Army, it was usually in the form of coffee. The older guys in the military still drink mostly coffee but the younger guys will always go with the energy drinks, if they can get them.

I'm retired now but I still drink coffee around 3 times a day, on average: Morning, mid-afternoon, and early evening. It used to be early morning, mid-morning, early afternoon, late afternoon and early evening.

I remember seeing a meme somewhere that said something like, "US Army Veteran: Fueled by caffeine, alcohol, ibuprofen and hate". It's funny because it's true.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:24 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 27,621 Times in 9,873 Posts

"All the sugar and twice the caffeine of regular cola".

When I was a teen I drank brewed tea I was quite the tea drinker.

Got into soda living on my own, switched to diet after his accident in 2003.

I ran out of soda this week and tried taking just 100 mg caffeine capsule I had on hand for times like this. I only needed the one capsule so far and it is 3:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:31 PM

Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin, you aren't suffering from withdraw, it's simple vitamin deficiency.

Wish I could quit, on the days I can't get it or can't get enough, it ain't pretty. Having 2 kids under 3 makes that nigh impossible.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,848 Times in 5,692 Posts

I'm recently retired and do 2 cups of coffee a day, rarely will have 3 with one in the evenings. Soda... before my heart attack I was good for 15-20 Pepsi Colas a week. Went cold turkey on those, started drinking them at work a couple of years ago, haven't had one since I retired in April. Now I drink an unsweetened 4C ice tea mix and plain old water.

I had a good buddy that died at age 37, he had a tumor on his kidney, that was removed and he winds up with bone cancer 3 years later. He lived on Pepsi, RC Cola and Ring Dings, high energy guy always skinny as a rail. I also never saw someone smoke so many Marlboros and weed as well. We always wondered if any of the above was what killed him.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:06 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,928 Times in 9,461 Posts

Drank a LOT of sugary and caffeine drinks in my youth, especially in law school and the Army and especially on deployments.

Thankfully I'm not a diabetic, and I don't understand why not actually. Blessed.

Now, rarely consume soda or energy drinks. Don't keep them in the house.

My caffeine is limited to 1 or 2 cups of coffee with a spoon of sugar in the mornings. And that gets me by. I do like it and it wakes me up.

I do get a really bad caffeine withdrawal headache for about 2 days if I try to cut that little bit out.

A few years back I started drinking a LOT of water, and recently put lemon in it. I've come to really like it.