Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-19-2020, 04:15 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,693 Times in 562 Posts
Default Help with base station similar to BaoFeng UV-5 handheld

Advertise Here

Hey guys,
I know someone will have a quick answer here.

I am looking for roughly a 50 watt base station so I can communicate to my BaoFeng 5R handhelds.

One of the most attractive thing about these radios are the fact there broadcast on so many frequency ranges and our handheld are already set up on a transmit receive schedule. So broadcasting on ham, murs, gmrs I find pretty attractive.

That being said the BaeFeng mobile stations are 12V Dc only......is there something similar that is 120V and 12V for emergencies.

Also I would like to add an antenna into my antenna farm in the attic. It's all wood up there and I an a bit confusted by the whole ground plane thing.

What's the ideal setup for this? I need to run the antenna cable about 50' in the attic.

HK
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2020, 06:06 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 4,852 Times in 1,706 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DWXRD5F

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0797SHG1K

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-PC.../dp/B0012BL8LG
Old 06-19-2020, 06:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,534 Times in 2,932 Posts

Careful with those cheap ac to dc adapters most are unfiltered and you might pick up a 60Hz buzz. You're better to pick up a filtered power supply.

Some people use a battery but the same thing will happen when the charger is on, you can filter that out using one of those big capacitors they sell at walmart for $40.

As for your original question short of a big rig most are going to be 12 volt mobiles. If you want to be real cheap you can run a baofeng into a 50w UHF amp. Turned on low power 1w it shound only be putting out 10 watts. But what is cheap after you spend $40 on a power supply and 75 on a cheap Chinese amp.

Not going to recommend them (I use old kenwood's that are dual type (90/95) accepted ) but there are fairly decent chinese dual bands out there and fairly cheap chinese power supplies,

I thought the FCC had discontinued being able to buy them online, but a friend just bought a QYT and another Baofeng Handheld, so I guess they are still in the shut the barn doors phase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2020, 09:15 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 8,292 Times in 2,330 Posts

You might try the UV-50X2 dual-band 50W mobile with something like this 50W bench power supply.

I have the 25W tri-band version of that radio (2m/1.25m/70cm) in the Jeep (pics) and it's a pretty neat little unit. And the same power supply for when I want to use it inside (but I usually have the FT-818ND on that supply).

These radios have a version of frequency hopping that could give you a little more communication security, but it only works with others in the series...which is good because it'll be harder for others to listen to your comms without dedicated gear, but it means everyone in your group needs one of these radios and the pre-arranged protocols.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 03:25 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,693 Times in 562 Posts

Thank you for the links.....what is a good attic antenna for this.....I do have space for a 2M?

HK
Old 06-24-2020, 04:26 PM

For the power supply go bigger than you need, and this has battery backup if you add a battery and your power goes out.

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/pr...ducts_id=66085
The Following User Says Thank You to Darkbird For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 07:40 PM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 8,292 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrykjr View Post
Thank you for the links.....what is a good attic antenna for this.....I do have space for a 2M?

HK
Most antennas for 2m are 19" long. Here's a halfwave dipole I made for 2m so you can get a sense of a bigger one...it's about 3' long.

Or get an N9TAX Slim Jim.

These don't need to go in the attic, btw. I hung the N9TAX on an upstairs wall and it worked fine. Higher is better, but you don't have to drill holes in your house to make it work acceptably well.

The one I use most often for 2m is this magnet-mount antenna sitting on a cookie sheet (which provides the ground plane) in a 2nd story window. I reliably get 5x9 "full quieting into the repeater" signal reports to repeaters I don't have line-of-sight to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 03:12 PM

For a Power supply, these have plenty of power.. and no hum...
12VDC/30Amps

https://www.amazon.com/96V-240V-Conv...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

This is a great little 25W radio that comes with the programing cable, and CHIRP is free programing software.

https://www.amazon.com/AnyTone-AT-77...5GPFDFPPGCA6HE

Are you planing to run Amateur Radio or MURS/FRS/GMRS Freqs?

One of these will work nicely for your antenna and will cover all those freqs under a 2:1 SWR:
http://arrowantennas.com/osj/j-pole.html

This is one of my base setups... with the appropriate amount of Coax

Last edited by Reverend Bow; 06-29-2020 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: Added Transmitter
Old 06-29-2020, 03:35 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 29,484 Times in 10,270 Posts

Yaesu FT-2980 80 W. Samlex power supply SEC 1235M MFJ-1754 antenna 50 of cable less than $200. Add $50 for the good programming software. ham radio outlet or gigaparts. 21' foot section of 1.5 inch pipe and a 10' section of 1" coupled to it was about $30.

I made a J-pole. A friend gave me a 2 m yagi

Have LED lighing, a cigarette port, duel USB charging ports. 2 12V deep cycle batteries as separated, switched and fused off grid back up. My laptop has a car charger and I have 12 V car charger for AA, AAA, D and 18650. 200 W of solar to hook up to the batteries (need more of both).