Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-18-2020, 07:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,103 Times in 5,779 Posts
Default Poison Ivy.. be careful out there!

Advertise Here

Yeah, I got it again from clearing out brush around the yard. I back up to state land on 2 sides and fight a constant battle with mother nature. I was watching out for it, did see a few pieces of it which I removed with a pair of pliers and I had gloves on.

I must have had it on my gloves as I recall wiping sweat off my forehead and I have poison ivy there too. The gloves have been discarded. Some areas it is drying up like on top of my foot, my head and behind my ear. Other areas it continues to emerge but in small spots.

I'm using Cortizone 10 in the major itch parts, Tecnu Calagel elsewhere. Allergy medicine seems to help. I'm busy with things in general but will go to urgent care later in the day or 1st thing on Friday.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2020, 07:07 AM
Survivor

Anyway, jumped through the flaming hoop yesterday afternoon and went to urgent care, Takes about a 1/2 hour to get inside. Gave all info by phone first through their portal.

I got a cortisone shot and an rx for prednisone pills, I take 2 a day for 5 days. I felt less itchier within a couple of hours and slept better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2020, 09:43 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,948 Times in 494 Posts

Look up jewelweed and find some in your area, it's nature's antidote to poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac.

It usually grows in the same area poison ivy grows.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Thesenator223 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2020, 10:18 PM
SoJer

Thanked 6,578 Times in 2,072 Posts
Lightbulb

Found this 'recipe' a bajunch of years back, and 'put it to the test' - Amazing. And, relatively easy to find these plants.. Additionally, Both are excellent 'e-foraging plants', with many medicinal side-perks.. (ie: Yarrow, alone, is an Excellent coagulant / bleed-stop..

Summary:
Step 1: Finely chop fresh herbs (2/3 Yarrow, 1/3 Plantain) and pack into mason jar.
Step 2: Top mason jar off with olive oil.
Step 3: Gently double boil contents of mason jar for 45 min.
Step 4: Filter contents of mason jar and reserve liquid in a new mason jar.
Step 5: Melt beeswax into reserved liquid to achieve desired consistency.

ProTip: Don't make, like, a Quart at a time - a little will Last plenty-long, and less risk of waste..

Info on Yarrow: https://www.ediblewildfood.com/common-yarrow.aspx

..and Plantain: https://www.ediblewildfood.com/broadleaf-plantain.aspx (..good vid at the bottom, also..)

Fwiw...
jd
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoJ_51 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 01:10 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 6,672 Times in 1,537 Posts

Good recipe!

As a long-time herbalist, I must caution that when making any herbal/medicinal preparations, the utmost care for cleanliness must be observed to prevent bacteria and fungi contamination.

I cringed when I watched the guy pour all that nice medicinal oil through a used water bottle into a jar. That was an invitation for the end result to do more harm than good.

This salve is best made at home under cleaner conditions. Ideally, dried herbs should be used because the moisture in the fresh herbs can encourage mold to grow in the oil or salve. (If you absolutely must use fresh herbs, allow them to wilt for a couple of hours (place on paper towels), to encourage moisture evaporation.)

Also, to maintain the integrity of the final product, the hot oil should be poured into a clean jar that has been freshly sanitized by boiling in water for at least 10 or 15 minutes, then turned upside down at an angle to allow the water to drip out. It should be air-dried (not towel dried).

I have seen nice medicinal salves and oils utterly ruined by mold when prepared in less than sanitary conditions. (It doesn't always happen, but when it does, it can do more harm than good as a medicine.)

But if you don't have access to a home kitchen, or don't have the ingredients to make an olive oil/beeswax salve, an alternative would be to crush the herbs and let them steep in boiling hot water until the water cools.

Wash the poison ivy with the cooled tea. You could also make a poultice with the spent, cooled herbs by bandaging them over the affected areas for a few hours.

Use the tea within a day if no refrigeration is available. If you have ice/refrigeration you can store the tea for up to two or three days or freeze it.

If you didn't have the ingredients to make the salve as shown in the video, you could dry the herbs in the shade until completely dry (brittle and breaks easily). (I like to hang them in small bunches.) A stash of dry herbs would give you a ready supply for future use.

Tweeting my published articles & news of upcoming books about self-reliance, survival gardening, primitive living, disaster preps & making hard times (almost) painless: https://twitter.com/GrizzlyeteAdams
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 02:35 AM
SoJer

Thanked 6,578 Times in 2,072 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
..to maintain the integrity of the final product, the hot oil should be poured into a clean jar that has been freshly sanitized by boiling in water for at least 10 or 15 minutes, then turned upside down at an angle to allow the water to drip out. It should be air-dried (not towel dried)..
+11. I think that's likely 'Why' those guys had said 'Make in small batches' - cause they weren't using 'ideal' techniques, in camp - and likely suffered spoilage on some large batch - which Is something I 'echoed', but.. Thanks for taking it the - Proper - step further, and highlighting this important-point..

jd
The Following User Says Thank You to SoJ_51 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 11:19 AM
Low speed , High drag

Thanked 1,643 Times in 498 Posts

Always wash with fels naphta and a wash cloth after doing outside stuff.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:07 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 31,395 Times in 8,448 Posts

Raising my children, grandchildren & now great-grand-children.
Once they were old enough to retain the info.
I taught them how to ID poison oak & ivy.

Best remedy is to stay out of it.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:03 AM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 4,314 Times in 1,158 Posts

Timely post. Here in the piney woods of deep east Texas, poison ivy vines the size of my arm are common as they grow up pine trees. Between the poison ivy, trumpet vine and five leaf/winter creeper, there are vines everywhere.

One good thing about poison ivy---they make little round fruits that birds, especially cardinals, eat in the late winter. Bad thing is that the cardinals spread the seeds everywhere in their droppings.

I've never been affected by poison ivy until this past fall. I got some on me and had a light case of it. So I finally decided that the cardinals were going to have to do without some of the poison ivy fruit this coming winter. I got out with my chainsaw-on-a-stick and cut the vines at ground level. Cut out a section of the vine so they would not heal back together. I was fully clothed and wore some goggles but bits of the vines were flying from the chainsaw and I had the bits all over my clothes and I had to turn my face away while cutting. I'd saw, stop the saw, look at the vine, turn my head away and cut some more. Slow going but it worked and kept my face clean of bits.

But I did get some on me somehow. When I was done I stripped off on the back porch and went right for the shower, using Dawn dish soap to cut any oil on me.

I ended up with a spot on one ankle from a bit that got down my sock somehow, and a spot on my wrist. I can't imagine having a bad case of it. Those little spots itched like crazy.

I have never been bothered by it all during my life, but now I am.

The vines are still clinging to the trees, all the leaves have fallen off. I'm going to wait until winter to pull down the vines, when they are good and dry.

And I am going to plant some wax myrtle or something to replace the lost feed capacity. Or something. Maybe Parsley hawthorne, something with ripe fruit or seed in the winter.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:15 AM
Trapper

My poor grandfather got poison ivy all over him once. He was clearing land and didn't realize there was poison ivy in the vegetation. He was in bad shape for awhile.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,456 Times in 3,618 Posts

I remember my brothers and I fighting throwing handfuls of poison ivy berries at each other. The family went to the drive in movie that night and only my younger brother broke out in terrible hives. My older brother and I had nothing.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:22 AM
Prepared

In the southeast jewel weed grows everywhere. I planted a patch of it just for treating poison ivy. Learned it from my grandparents. Don't wait until you have the rash. Wipe it all over your arms before you go to work and keep a bag of it in your pocket.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,897 Times in 1,468 Posts

I’m one of the lucky few that is not allergic. As a lineman I work in the brush, come in contact with it all the time and I’ve never had a case of it. Few years ago I thought I had the rash but found out it was shingles and I waited to long for treatment.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:10 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
Raising my children, grandchildren & now great-grand-children.
Once they were old enough to retain the info.
I taught them how to ID poison oak & ivy.

Best remedy is to stay out of it.
My problem is that if I drag a vine from somewhere I can't see, it may have poison ivy from the other side of the fence on it. Also a little of it goes a very long way. I did see some of it, pulled it out with pliers and dropped it in my bucket. Even the dead pieces still retain the oils.

I saw more the other day and put an old newspaper plastic bag over my hand, grabbed it and turned the bag inside out, into the garbage. Probably the safest way to remove it.

It also mimics growth close to it. I had one that looked like new rose bush shoots coming up in an established rose bush.

I never got it as a kid either and we had to be wading through it in the woods. My mom and older brother, also my one son get it bad. This is by far the worst case I've had. It must have spread with the sweat I had all over me. Now I'm okay but have some scabs here and there, no more itch.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,456 Times in 3,618 Posts

Many allergic reactions happen after more than one exposure. I never got it as a kid playing with it but I wouldnt go near it now,
Old 06-27-2020, 06:50 AM
Survivor

I'm looking around the yard carefully and noting where I see it, I have a piece right off my deck behind a flower pot. More next to a bush by the side of the house and even more in a flower bed in front of the house. I picked up poison ivy soap and use it after I do something outside to get the oil off me.