Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-10-2020, 07:56 AM

Default I Admit I Was Unprepared

Advertise Here

During this Coronavirus pandemic I admit I was not fully prepared in terms of health and fitness, I didn't have enough exercise equipment.

With gyms closed people are doing much more of their workouts at home. As such much of the exercise equipment you might find at your local Walmart and at other fitness stores that are open is gone. As for me, I do not have enough free weights, specifically dumbbells, and most dumbbells are bought up now so I was unprepared.

I ordinarily lift weights at the gym but as of right now with gyms being closed I obviously can't go to the gym. I've got a weighted vest and I've got some dumbbells but not that many. Getting the dumbbells I want right now is a challenge but at least I've learned from this, I know to be better prepared with workout gear in the future.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2020, 08:38 AM

A bit crude, but a scale, some buckets, and rock or other heavy item can make weights depending on how you need to use them.

I admit I am not much of a lifter, but I have family that is,. They have always kept their eyes open at yard sales to stock up on various weights. Leads to an odd assortmant, but can't beat the price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronald_55 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 10:55 AM
Possum Lover

Thanked 28,092 Times in 10,084 Posts

I had a ton of dumbbells and plates up for sale before this hit...forgot to take down my listing... could have NAMED MY PRICE after they closed the gyms... but I had to make room by then due to major home damage/repairs.

Oh, well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2020, 04:33 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 23,861 Times in 6,832 Posts

Rocks. Old tires, your car....anything can be equipment.

https://jalopnik.com/your-car-can-be...ate-1843610720
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 05:43 PM
(ಠ益ಠ)

Who needs a gym and dumbbells?

Put on a backpack/ruck, drop in 30 pounds, grab two ammo crates/milk jugs, and go for a hike or jog. Use the milk jugs as you would free weights while you're jogging to work the upper body and throw in some lunges and squats along the way to work the lower.

That would be much more effective for strength and overall conditioning than working the show muscles at the gym.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to notabot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 10:56 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by notabot View Post
Who needs a gym and dumbbells?

Put on a backpack/ruck, drop in 30 pounds, grab two ammo crates/milk jugs, and go for a hike or jog. Use the milk jugs as you would free weights while you're jogging to work the upper body and throw in some lunges and squats along the way to work the lower.

That would be much more effective for strength and overall conditioning than working the show muscles at the gym.
Are you serious? Jogging down the road in a backpack swinging milk jugs? At least you won't have to worry about developing "show muscles" or most likely any muscles. Well, to each his own.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:56 AM
(ಠ益ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clingmansdome View Post
Are you serious? Jogging down the road in a backpack swinging milk jugs? At least you won't have to worry about developing "show muscles" or most likely any muscles. Well, to each his own.
Yep.

I personally would rather be able to throw on a plate carrier, 20-30 pound pack, a rifle, a pistol, an ammo can in each hand, and easily huff it 5 miles than have 20" biceps.

YMMV.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to notabot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 06:22 AM

Maintaining fitness was a big problem for me during lock-down. I usually do body weight exercises in my home garage, for staying fit.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,140 Times in 5,796 Posts

I retired in the middle of this cluster fork, mid April. No gym, but have been staying active and definitely am in better shape and stronger.

I've been working around the yard and house since the 1st week of May, mostly in the yard. So far I have cut down 3 medium sized trees, 1 smaller one, double-dug my 10' x 20' garden the hard way, re-framed the border, planted some patio vegetable plants in pots, 3 flats of flowers, of course the vegetable garden, opened the pool, scraped and painted part of my garage, replaced the fascia and soffit on one side, chopped out a lot of undergrowth around the property, trimmed my big cedar trees so I can see the street again, got rid of a lot of junk that was piling up. I'm sure I've forgotten a thing or two.

When I started I was huffing and puffing and would need a nap in the afternoon. I now start earlier to beat the heat, gauge where the sun will be so I'm not fried. Granted it has been cooler than normal. I do have a moderate case of poison ivy, that's the down side right now. If my gym opens and has a mask mandate, I will cancel my membership. I can always ride my bike instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 03:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,712 Times in 572 Posts

https://www.thenx.com/

Cowboy up!.....I just started this in the gym.

HK
Old 06-19-2020, 07:54 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 9,235 Times in 3,554 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

50 lb feed sacks, 100 lb hay bales...I'm good.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
50 lb feed sacks, 100 lb hay bales...I'm good.
You could use a duffel bag as a weight by filling it up with sand, that's what I learned at SEALFIT.