Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-19-2020, 02:10 AM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 4,300 Times in 1,156 Posts
Default Tramadol again

Advertise Here

My pain levels are way up again and haven't come down since knee surgery a few months back. Not just my knee but joints and where tendons attach to bone. Probably developing psoriatic arthritis, which four immediate family members have.

So I'm back on Tramadol. Helps a bit, I guess.

I'd like something a little stronger but I guess that's not going to happen.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2020, 05:25 AM
Possum Lover

Thanked 27,951 Times in 10,016 Posts

My husband has "a jacked up back" per pain doc and 2, fifty milligrams are all he gets a day.

You might try tart cherry capsules, ginger root capsules. Both are helpful with arthritis and will either help or not. They won't harm you. Ginger is also really good for digestion.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2020, 06:15 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,061 Posts

Try Kratom
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyrone For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2020, 06:35 AM
Business Owner

Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,364 Posts

I second PK's recommendation on tart cherry. I take capsules, or better yet - the dark cherry juice daily and it eliminates joint pain for me. Better than tramadol or stronger does.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrianWorf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2020, 11:08 PM

I tried the dark cherry capsules a few years ago and I don't think they did much. Can't drink a lot of sour or acidy stuff. I might try the capsules again because honestly 50mg of Tramadol isn't doing much, even at every 6 hours as directed.

Pffft.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:01 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 29,484 Times in 10,270 Posts

Your body is a unique system and you need to find what works for you. When there is proud flesh from a fresh injury or an operation pain meds are a god send IMHO. On the other hand pain meds can rot your liver and brain when taken long term.

Keep an activity, food and feeling log. Perhaps you will find something(s) that you do or eat that makes you feel bad up to a few days later.

I suggest you take some supplements and eat a good diet besides.

I like Tiger Balm. I also like Arnicare.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 10:38 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,520 Times in 547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazarine33 View Post
I tried the dark cherry capsules a few years ago and I don't think they did much. Can't drink a lot of sour or acidy stuff. I might try the capsules again because honestly 50mg of Tramadol isn't doing much, even at every 6 hours as directed.

Pffft.
50 mg. is a starter dose. Before all of the DRUG bull **** my dose was 100 mg. as needed. If you have long term problems it will take more than 50 mg to get you relief.
We have went to CBD as a ad on and have been very successful. Watch just what CBD that you buy as not all are the same. Cycling Frog is one that is third party tested and recommended.
The Following User Says Thank You to cavsgt For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 04:57 PM
Prepared

PsA is no joke. I agree on the ginger, it is easy on the tummy and the wallet. I simmer fresh ginger into a ginger reduction, add a little honey and pour over ice with some sparkling water. Pain relieving ginger ale.......I never add a splash of bourbon.........never.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheLoneMommy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 05:59 AM
Desperta Ferro!

Thanked 1,333 Times in 393 Posts

I'm terribly sorry to hear that you are experiencing those extreme levels of pain.

In recent years, I have been prescribed half a pharmacy worth of crap. Which is what most of it is. Tramadol, Hydro and Oxycodone, some weird stuff I can't spell or pronounce.

Tried CBD, it wasn t for me.
It simply didn't work with the I brand I bought locally, anyway.

What does work for me, and I sincerely hopes works well for you as well, are the following:

1) Theraworx. Reduces pain 5-10% as topically applied to the affected areas.

2) Knee brace. Reduces pain 5-10%, especially when used in combination with other suggestions below.

3) 800mg Motrin. The real deal.
Reduces pain 10%-20% for me.

4) Fomentation (moist heat) heating pad, most especially with the larger sized pad that you can wrap around your elbows and knees. Reduces pain 10%-20%.

5) I saved the best for last.
The TENS unit (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator).
I bought a consumer level unit at Walgreens, made by Omron.
The two downsides: it only plays for 15 minute blocks of time, requiring you to reset it each time.

It does remember your preferred setting, however. I found that the #2 setting, called knead, seems to work best for me.

The second downside (besides eating a pair of AA batteries like a kid devouring Halloween candy) is that there are only two pads. Four would be so, SO much better imho. But, at around $65 per unit, or into the hundreds for the multi-pad units, that just ain't gonna happen at this time.

Note: try to keep the pads far away from any heatsource, like the heating pad. The TENS unit pads use a soft gel to adhere to your skin, which melts and deforms rather easily. At around $22 for a box of replacement pads, it's best to make them last as long as possible.

I'm getting 6-8 weeks use out of a set, and put aside marginal ones back inside their original plastic shipping sleeve for future emergency use.

I sincerely hope some of those suggestions help you deal with your situation.

Be well, John Spartan (lol). Good luck, my friend. Health and well wishes to you. Just ask somebody for help if you don't know what the 3 shells in the bathroom are for (movie reference...laughter helps too...get it? Trying to help out, brother)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M.O.A. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2020, 01:22 PM

I guess I need to ask what the three shells in the bathroom are for? Or do I want to know?

Thanks for the laughter part, I appreciate it. Laughter does help.

I do 1000mg. ibuprofen + the 50 tramadol + fiorocet. I get about 50 to 60% reduction with those.

I do use heating pads, but boy it gets hard to use them in the summer. Ice packs are a no no for me.

I also have an Omron TENS unit and yeah, they do eat batteries. Mine seem to give a better 'zap' on Duracell coppertop batteries than any other brand, I don't know why. I think the way TENS works is to fatigue the nerves with stimulus and I've noticed the most relief not while I'm using it or immediately after, but like half an hour to an hour later. Then I get about 3 or 4 hours good out of it. They're a God send for sure. I like mine so much I bought three to give to family and a friend, and they like them as well. I've dropped mine so many times I'm surprised it still works.

The only cure for all this pain is going to be the permanent cure, I think. But such is life, this is my lot and I'm here for as long as I'm here. In the meantime I'm going to live all I can.

My father passed away on the 10th in the early morning hours, and the shock and stress of that has caused pain levels to skyrocket. Physical stress is not the only thing that can affect us.

Thanks again.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:52 PM
Desperta Ferro!

Thanked 1,333 Times in 393 Posts

The 3 shells thing is from the movie Demolition Man.

I'm sorry to hear about your father's passing. I can't possibly imagine how that feels and is impacting your health. Frankly, I'm at a loss for words, other than to say, you've got allies here. You can lean on us if you need to. Best thing we can do is listen and let you have a venue to vent.

Exact same experiences with the heat, cold doesn't work, and yes, Duracell all the way. I do get some immediate relief, but I am running that puppy all day or night when I'm working, just not in bed.

I also snag the wires on stuff here and there, regardless of how carefully I tuck them in my pocket.

FYI, I found that wearing an athletic sock on the affected leg (left for me) helps hold the pads more firmly in place and I obtain a slightly stronger effect.

Same goes for a standard knee brace.
Sock goes on (also helps with the wires), pads, knee brace. Pads under the backside of the knee helps a lot for me, sometimes, just not always.

One last thing: it sounds counter-intuitive, and dammit I hate when my wife is right about something, especially when it involves work, but I graciously conceded to her that this does help.

Walking. A good deal. Not just leg stretches, which hurts a helluva lot.
But getting out there, walking your block (have a dog?), the mall, Wally World, etc.

When I am busy day to day doing stuff, after the Motrin (you lucky bastard! 1000 mg...I used to get those before my doc got paranoid and stopped prescribing anything but 800's and Tramadol), I get moving around and forget about the pain.

Later in the day, I still feel pretty good, limbered up a lot. Hot showers help too. Sometimes, though, I'm feeling stiff and achey the next day.

Next week, meeting a new spine doc.
Hopefully, a good doc in your area can help relieve your pain, too.

Good luck, brother. Wishing you the best, and many pain-free days ahead of you. Sounds like you are doing everything you can to combat this debilitating pain.