Am I right? Tracphone only available for cash... - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-22-2020, 10:01 PM

Default Am I right? Tracphone only available for cash...

Advertise Here

Am I right? Tracphone only available for cash at Wally World. So looks like tracphone has a year long plan available with some basic flip phones and a basic smart phone available at WM. I can buy Tracphones all over the internet with a credit card but I want to pay cash. The old days you bought a phone with minutes and when they ran out, well you bought more mins(no time frame that I knew of) or a new phone, now everything is a plan of some sort 30-60-90-365 days so I'm going for the 365....Do I need a different anonymous payment method? Any general advise appreciated.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2020, 12:32 AM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 4,851 Times in 1,706 Posts

https://www.tracfonewirelessinc.com/en/home/

https://www.walmart.com/cp/tracfone-wireless/3948553
The Following User Says Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2020, 09:55 PM

As far as I can tell the only way to buy an anonymous cell phone is a TracPhone flip phone from WM along with a TracPhone 365 day-400 min. prepaid phone card with cash. This flip phone also has WiFi if you turn it on your located by whatever is the closest wifi connection to you like your own home internet connection or every WIFI you pass driving down the road otherwise your just located from what cell tower your closest too which is a lot larger area like up to miles radius. The flip and the card cost weirdly exactly $149.99 including tax. Since we have the Corona issue I had to wear a mask and since it was sunny I had on my sunglasses and hat too, not planned...lol. This is just an experiment as a friend received a notice on an android device that "Google"-- "we have a report of every where you have been for the last six years-do you want to see it?" and it was every where ! Not only where this person had been but with pictures of every where they had been(store fronts,house fronts,etc.)with their cell phone for the last eight years! You can turn this off in Google but it means you just don't get the notice of everywhere you've been, Google knows...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2020, 10:51 PM

Having the convenience of a cell phone without sacrificing your privacy is a thing of the distant past. All phones on the market are required to have accurate location capability through gps, wifi, and tower triangulation. Many carriers require enough of your personal information to verify the account gets tied to a real person. Any phone you actually use will become tied to "your" real identity at some point no matter where you got it or how you activated it.

You really need to decide if being reachable via a phone # at any time, any place you go is a higher priority than concealing your location and daily travels. For most of us we make that tradeoff as we need to be reachable, and we aren't doing anything or going anywhere that we shouldn't be. For that matter if you have no phone at all, but lead a normal life there is still a fairly complete picture of where you are and where you go every day and much more.

I do believe in protecting one's privacy through greater measures than most people generally take, but with regard to cell phones I think either swear off them completely, or go buy a nice smartphone and use it in a way consistent with more secure/private practices which there are many guides and tips for or purchase a degoogled phone, or custom os privacy based phone. You'll still be tracked and listened to, but not by nearly as many entities.
The Following User Says Thank You to wrenchhand For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2020, 04:02 PM
Hiker

Several years ago a local lady had a Tracphone, NIB, with a year's service when activated. Yard sale price was 75 bucks. Not sure what activation would've entailed but she was leavin' town and there wouldn't have been any way to tie me to the original purchaser. Sounds as though it might've been an idea burner phone.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,541 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfluities View Post
Am I right? Tracphone only available for cash at Wally World. So looks like tracphone has a year long plan available with some basic flip phones and a basic smart phone available at WM. I can buy Tracphones all over the internet with a credit card but I want to pay cash. The old days you bought a phone with minutes and when they ran out, well you bought more mins(no time frame that I knew of) or a new phone, now everything is a plan of some sort 30-60-90-365 days so I'm going for the 365....Do I need a different anonymous payment method? Any general advise appreciated.
Has CVS/Walgreens/dollar general 7/11 stopped selling them since COVID-19? I carry a iPhone for work and a tracphone for the occasional for profit personal call or as a backup. iPhone died, and in a matter of a month or two I put enough airtime on the tracphone to keep my service active through 2021.