Radio with shortwave/SSB or Scanner? Which should I get? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-09-2020, 06:45 PM

Default Radio with shortwave/SSB or Scanner? Which should I get?

Advertise Here

I'd like to purchase either a radio with shortwave and SSB (single side band) or a scanner. I'm not sure which to get.

For a radio, the two I am leaning towards are Tecsuns. One is $90, the other is about $140. If I went with a scanner, the most I can spend is $250.

I read there isn't that much on shortwave these days. Is that true?

With the SSB, a person can listen to CB radio. I live in a city of about 550K in the Southwest. Would I hear CB radio? I don't know if truckers and others use them anymore.

With scanners, I think a $250 budget would get me one that can receive trunked digital transmissions. As good as that sounds, I think the city police department here uses encrypted signals. I guess that means I couldn't listen to the city police. I don't know if the state police and sheriff's department use encryption in their communications or not. I'm guessing the paramedic/EMT/fire department doesn't use encryption.

Do scanners usually have NOAA (weather) receptivity? CB radio receptivity? Other functions good for survival?
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2020, 08:29 PM
What... me worry??

I didn’t look up the shortwave receiver you referenced, but I’ll make a few assumptions. It most likely receives AM/FM/SSB from roughly .5-30Mhz. Within that range, there is amateur radio, CB radio, professional broadcast radio, shortwave stations. The stations between those frequency ranges can be from very close to you or very far away. That spectrum is know as high frequency (HF).

Scanner operation is for much more local listening. That portion of spectrum is the very high and ultra high frequencies (VHF-UHF) Governmental services, amateurs, NOAA, aircraft , etc. Many systems will be trucked. Encryption can be hit or miss.

Shortwave is nothing like it was decades ago, and there are way fewer services beaming toward the US. CB radio appears to be one of your areas of interest. That service is primarily done on AM, with some operators using SSB. It is 26-27Mhz (HF) spectrum.I have no idea what the level of use is in your area. Overall, it is not as popular as it was in it’s boom of the mid 1970’s.

So, if you ant to “hear it all” you need both equipment that is capable of HF/VHF/UHF. Only you can decide what is important to you and your circumstances. That brings me to how your gonna hear the stations... the antenna.

You can but the hottest, whiz-bang receiver, but if you don’t invest in quality antennas and feedlines, you won’t hear squat. It doesn’t matter, HF/VHF/UHF without some metal or wire out there nice and high... you won’t hear squat. I repeat myself for a reason.

So that’s a starting point. It’s a lot to think about. Research is your friend, and ask all your questions before you part with your hard earned cash.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ack Roe Nym For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 10:59 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,048 Times in 328 Posts

If you study and equip yourself for communications the leaders people will look to for guidance when SHTF will be looking to you for their communication needs. The equipment cost some bucks, however, the equipment coupled with the knowledge and skill to use it will make you invaluable. When you are 65 do you want to work in a field or man the radio? I would encourage you to make yourself a comms pro across all bands in your area. And so you know it can be done stealthy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PromptCritical For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2020, 11:17 AM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,881 Times in 3,983 Posts

I have multiple devices for specific missions.

I'd keep your sw/ssb/fm/am separate from a scanner.

For a simple scanner, get a uv82 HT, if you want digi, then you can user a software based program like https://www.sigintos.com/ run it off a laptop or desktop...

Your most likely NOT going to get a digital scanner for 250.00..

CB is ok, limited range, and most trash stuff, get a cheap one if you want...

I have to ask, because you did not mention it, but what is the goal/mission/purpose of these devices for you as it relates to your overall intel/communications plan, if you have one?

That will drive what you obtain....
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYOP Soldier View Post
I have multiple devices for specific missions.

I'd keep your sw/ssb/fm/am separate from a scanner.

For a simple scanner, get a uv82 HT, if you want digi, then you can user a software based program like https://www.sigintos.com/ run it off a laptop or desktop...

Your most likely NOT going to get a digital scanner for 250.00..

CB is ok, limited range, and most trash stuff, get a cheap one if you want...

I have to ask, because you did not mention it, but what is the goal/mission/purpose of these devices for you as it relates to your overall intel/communications plan, if you have one?

That will drive what you obtain....
Check out link below for a digital scanner priced at $250.

My purpose for these devices is a combination of enjoyment and to be informed if things in society get bad. I don't have any kind of communications plan.

https://www.amazon.com/Whistler-WS10...illance&sr=1-2
The Following User Says Thank You to basketweave For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 03:34 PM

I would start with a scanner and a CB, and some FRS or cheap Beofang radios.

In most places a scanner is more important than a HAM radio. I know I will catch flak for saying it... but you are better off with a CB radio and a good digital trunking scanner than with a HAM radio you have never used and don't really know how to use. Not to mention legalities of operating one illegally.

You want a digital programmable scanner. They are not cheap. In order to get the most out of it-- you should listen in regularly. That way you know the difference between normal traffic and unusual or new traffic. Police and local businesses all have their own lingos and slang and if you listen in long enough you can pick it up. When you graduate to ham, the programmable scanner is still very useful. It is a foundation piece for your SHTF information gathering network.
The Following User Says Thank You to eleven11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
This lets a person listen to the same things a digital scanner can pick up?
The Following User Says Thank You to basketweave For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 05:57 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,881 Times in 3,983 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketweave View Post
Check out link below for a digital scanner priced at $250.

My purpose for these devices is a combination of enjoyment and to be informed if things in society get bad. I don't have any kind of communications plan.

https://www.amazon.com/Whistler-WS10...illance&sr=1-2
I stand corrected, thank you....
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYOP Soldier View Post
I stand corrected, thank you....
OTOH, I was just looking at reviews and one person said $40 software and a $7 subscription to something I forget is necessary with this unit. Others say it is hard to program. I guess I should see it as a $300 scanner by the time I get the software as I don't have experience with scanners.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:54 PM

Default Thanks

I decided to hold off with the scanner until I could get a digital one. I have a shortwave radio on the way. Thanks for all the responses.