Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here

Old 06-06-2020, 08:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,233 Times in 4,643 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
Correct. Though there is evidence the recent cash and unemployment gifts are going into the bank and stock market instead of stores, with not as much economic impact as expected.
a large percent went to the middle and upper middle class who arent as desperate. I guarantee all the restaurant workers who got it spent the whole thing.

With everything closed people are simply spending less money. People might even be saving money while on unemployment.

As things open up the cash given out will start to get spent which is the entire purpose. Im not necessarily for these programs, but I get why they have been implemented and it isnt nefarious and might work as intended.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2020, 08:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,344 Posts

The liquidity pyramid from The Great Credit Contraction:

http://www.creditcontraction.com/

The largest component of credit worldwide is made up of derivatives: around $1.6 quadrillion in notional value by 2009. The present estimate is that unregulated derivatives has reached a quadrillion.

Only a trillion of those was needed to cause the 2008 crash, which in turn led to a decade of low growth, and from which recovery took place by creating more money given freely to the rich and the debt passed on to the public.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,641 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfy View Post
The liquidity pyramid from The Great Credit Contraction:

http://www.creditcontraction.com/

The largest component of credit worldwide is made up of derivatives: around $1.6 quadrillion in notional value by 2009. The present estimate is that unregulated derivatives has reached a quadrillion.

Only a trillion of those was needed to cause the 2008 crash, which in turn led to a decade of low growth, and from which recovery took place by creating more money given freely to the rich and the debt passed on to the public.

I suspect that much or all of the 1,600T in derivatives is duplicated elsewhere in the pyramid.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:31 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 38,368 Times in 10,597 Posts

I expect the European Union to be like the coyote when he steps off the cliff. He keeps trying to run in air with a startled look on his face, then falls forever.

World war 3 will follow shortly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 08:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriley View Post
I suspect that much or all of the 1,600T in derivatives is duplicated elsewhere in the pyramid.
Probably derived from it.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I was under the impression that the printing of trillions of dollars would result in the collapse of our money. Instead, nothing happened.

Let's do it again!
U can likely print it off yourself. Just research the type of papers and inks. There’s a lot of counterfeit cash floating around. Just add as many zeros as you want. We can all be rich.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:15 PM
Prepared

Thanked 18,759 Times in 8,593 Posts

Quote:
I was under the impression that the printing of trillions of dollars would result in the collapse of our money. Instead, nothing happened.

Let's do it again!
As I understand it, if you are an investor who does shell-games, by over-leveraging, to make it look like you're worth a lot of money on paper, you do take on some risk. If those stocks should fall below a certain value your shells are all lifted up, and you either need to sell at a loss or otherwise deal with your misfortune. So the printing of money really helped these faux investors, whose fortune was built on a house of cards. On the contrary, we should have burnt them to the ground.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:01 AM
D. Gibbons is a bad man

Thanked 4,651 Times in 2,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I expect the European Union to be like the coyote when he steps off the cliff. He keeps trying to run in air with a startled look on his face, then falls forever.

Not going to happen in the EU or the USA, its not going to be pleasant but its not going to be sudden either.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,377 Times in 1,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txprep View Post
With everything closed people are simply spending less money. People might even be saving money while on unemployment.

As things open up the cash given out will start to get spent which is the entire purpose. Im not necessarily for these programs, but I get why they have been implemented and it isnt nefarious and might work as intended.
This is why the stimulus didn't have any real effect. People are simply trying to hang on until the economy opens. They used the money to pay their living expenses. One thing the stimulus did do is allow those who were marginally hanging on before to still hang on. Once they get their jobs back, they will spend like there's no tomorrow. Those who paid off debt with it will get back into debt. Those who didn't need it and invested it, will probably leave it alone.

Th money spent was spent in an attempt to help the economy, but the economy was closed down, so how can it help something that was closed. We will see the effects of the massive cash infusion once the economy opens up again.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:25 AM
Mod Certified PITA!

Thanked 21,600 Times in 7,776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post

I think I recall one cartoon where the coyote ran off a cliff, realized what was happening, and increased his pace to such a frantic degree he was able to make it across the chasm and barely to a projecting overhang ledge. Panting and sweating he was standing there... when the ledge broke loose and fell, taking him with it. They both fell into the miles deep canyon below, the coyote with his usual O_O expression, the rock falling above him and clearly going to land on top of him after he hit the ground.

That's the situation we're in now. I expect the same outcome.