OTR truck drivers communications? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-14-2020, 07:04 PM

Default OTR truck drivers communications?

Advertise Here

Do over the road truck drivers still communicate with each other on CB radio? Is there more prevalent communication system they use to communicate with each other?
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2020, 07:12 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 35,762 Times in 10,160 Posts

I haven't driven in several years but still have friends who drive. Yes, CB is what they still use but due to stupid idiots most don't talk on it except in case of traffic problems and when you arrive at the shippers and recievers.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 10:32 AM
CULT DEPROGRAMMER

Thanked 4,216 Times in 2,221 Posts

There are satellite terminals and wireless internet is used these days for communicating with dispatch.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2020, 10:35 AM

Glad this got posted. I've been mulling around the idea of putting a CB in my truck. I make frequent trips from Illinois to the Branson area and being plugged in to the traffic situation or any "anomalies" wouldn't seem to be a bad capability to have. Who else has CB's for this reason?

Thanks.
Roy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roy Texas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 11:32 AM
The end is,,,,,

Thanked 13,407 Times in 5,596 Posts

Every vehicle on the road should have one. Do drivers still use it? Some do. The ones that understand the value and don't have a phone crammed in their face.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cleatis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 12:40 PM
Business Owner

Thanked 3,390 Times in 1,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Texas View Post
Glad this got posted. I've been mulling around the idea of putting a CB in my truck. I make frequent trips from Illinois to the Branson area and being plugged in to the traffic situation or any "anomalies" wouldn't seem to be a bad capability to have. Who else has CB's for this reason?

Thanks.
Roy
I do. Just tested it out a few weeks back on a road trip. Couple of times got behind a trucker in the left lane, barely making it past the other truck in the right lane and holding traffic back for a ways. I kindly asked them to move over and not impeded the left lane, and although I got no response, they almost immediately pulled over into the right lane.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BrianWorf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 07:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,520 Times in 856 Posts

I used to drive 40-50k miles a year. CB was invaluable to determine traffic conditions. You can do without it in a light truck, but try pulling a 30í gooseneck And when you come up on slow traffic, itís really nice to know which and is a tually moving. Ditto to find truck shops, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to country_boy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
There are satellite terminals and wireless internet is used these days for communicating with dispatch.

Person speaks over the internet, not phone? Or do they type?
Old 06-16-2020, 08:08 PM

I guess CB is the only way truckers communicate with a bunch of people at the same time or roughly the same time. I was thinking maybe there's some hi-tech internet version of the CB that came to be in recent times.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:16 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Quote:

That's for talking to dispatch, he's talking about drivers talking to each other.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 08:19 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketweave View Post
I was thinking maybe there's some hi-tech internet version of the CB that came to be in recent times.

Nope, not yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 09:02 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,993 Times in 4,164 Posts

I have one in the truck. It stays in scan most of the time. Not near as busy as it was "back in the day", but still hear something most days. The dirt trucks make up the bulk of it locally. Been hearing more skip lately also.

Got a little surprise this weekend at the Champcar Endurance Series race. Several of the teams were using CB for pit to car communications.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 08:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,864 Times in 1,620 Posts
Default OTR truck drivers communications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWorf View Post
I do. Just tested it out a few weeks back on a road trip. Couple of times got behind a trucker in the left lane, barely making it past the other truck in the right lane and holding traffic back for a ways. I kindly asked them to move over and not impeded the left lane, and although I got no response, they almost immediately pulled over into the right lane.

The impression you have that he was deliberately impeding traffic comes from a lack of understanding the difference between a truck and a car.
That truck in the left lane most likely had the pedal on the floor... thatís it, there ainít no more. Unlike a car that can just mash the pedal to get past someone. The last thing you want to do is back out of it because of the time it takes to get back up to speed.
It is often the case that one truck is going 1 mph faster than the other and it takes a while to pass. Then, while trying to pass, the grade changes and maybe the truck on the right is empty so he picks up a little bit. It is often very frustrating for truck drivers. These are things that four wheelers never have to worry about.

Obviously there are drivers who arenít paying attention out there but most of them are just trying to pass and if they slow down just so the car behind can pass theyíll only have to do the same thing again, and again, and again, etc.

It sucks to be that guy in the left lane just creeping by the guy in the right lane when a car comes up behind you. Believe me, Iíve been there and I know that car is there and Iím whippiní tha ponies and Iíve got it in the big hole and the car starts flashing his lights because clearly his time is waaay more important than mine.
Rant off.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corpus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 08:40 AM
CULT DEPROGRAMMER

Quote:
I guess CB is the only way truckers communicate with a bunch of people at the same time or roughly the same time. I was thinking maybe there's some hi-tech internet version of the CB that came to be in recent times.
There is UHF GMRS which requires an individual FCC license.

And there are also network radios that operate on cellular bands and have PTT like a radio. These require a data plan and do use IP.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:53 AM
CULT DEPROGRAMMER

Quote:
Person speaks over the internet, not phone? Or do they type?
Qualcomm used to make a satellite terminal, Omnitracs that looked like a squat white cylinder mounted on top of the cab. There was a keyboard and display terminal inside the cab. It used an email client program called Eudora.

Messages could be sent to and from dispatch, to other trucks, to home. It used frequency hopping to access the common TV satellites.

MA-Com made a terrestrial system that used base stations to provide data services between Fed X trucks and dispatch. It had an emergency voice mode.

Those are all defunct now because cellular has taken their place, the Qualcomm Omnitracs still exists as a fleet management software business,

Old 06-17-2020, 03:39 PM
Business Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus View Post
The impression you have that he was deliberately impeding traffic comes from a lack of understanding the difference between a truck and a car.
That truck in the left lane most likely had the pedal on the floor... thatís it, there ainít no more. Unlike a car that can just mash the pedal to get past someone. The last thing you want to do is back out of it because of the time it takes to get back up to speed.
It is often the case that one truck is going 1 mph faster than the other and it takes a while to pass. Then, while trying to pass, the grade changes and maybe the truck on the right is empty so he picks up a little bit. It is often very frustrating for truck drivers. These are things that four wheelers never have to worry about.

Obviously there are drivers who arenít paying attention out there but most of them are just trying to pass and if they slow down just so the car behind can pass theyíll only have to do the same thing again, and again, and again, etc.

It sucks to be that guy in the left lane just creeping by the guy in the right lane when a car comes up behind you. Believe me, Iíve been there and I know that car is there and Iím whippiní tha ponies and Iíve got it in the big hole and the car starts flashing his lights because clearly his time is waaay more important than mine.
Rant off.
I understand that completely. I have driven large equipment trucks before, and I know about having the pedal to the floor and no power. I cut them lots of slack.

It was the guys who would whip into the left lane right in front of a line of faster moving cars after they had been behind the other truck for miles and then would own the left lane for a long time after they could have gotten over. Those are the ones, after plenty of time, I would key up and say "Hey trucker, could you not impede the left lane and let us get around, please?"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrianWorf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 05:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,172 Times in 10,535 Posts

I found my old Cobra 19-XS that somehow ended up buried in my BOV and didn't get burned up in the fires.

I hope to get an antenna and a SWR meter to replace the one I had and try it out. It was pumped up back in the 80's and puts out some decent wattage.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:01 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWorf View Post
I understand that completely. I have driven large equipment trucks before, and I know about having the pedal to the floor and no power. I cut them lots of slack.

It was the guys who would whip into the left lane right in front of a line of faster moving cars after they had been behind the other truck for miles and then would own the left lane for a long time after they could have gotten over. Those are the ones, after plenty of time, I would key up and say "Hey trucker, could you not impede the left lane and let us get around, please?"

Thatís what I get for assuming, sorry about that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corpus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2020, 06:10 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Qualcomm used to make a satellite terminal, Omnitracs that looked like a squat white cylinder mounted on top of the cab. There was a keyboard and display terminal inside the cab. It used an email client program called Eudora.

Messages could be sent to and from dispatch, to other trucks, to home. It used frequency hopping to access the common TV satellites.

MA-Com made a terrestrial system that used base stations to provide data services between Fed X trucks and dispatch. It had an emergency voice mode.

Those are all defunct now because cellular has taken their place, the Qualcomm Omnitracs still exists as a fleet management software business,

I remember Qualcomm. It was pretty clunky back in the Ď90s compared to whatís available now but it was a hell of a lot better than having to stop and find a pay phone.

Do they even have pay phones now?
Old 06-19-2020, 07:23 AM
Business Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus View Post
Thatís what I get for assuming, sorry about that.
Its all good!

I get what you're saying though. Lots of 4 wheelers are inconsiderate and think trucks can do things they can't. I drive a 1-ton work van, and it takes time to get up to speed, and if I am towing, even longer. That's why I said I politely ask the truckers to get over. No need for me to be rude. Being nice goes alot further.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrianWorf For This Useful Post: