Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here

Old 06-09-2020, 04:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,612 Times in 1,295 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramchek View Post
No, but since the stock market has deviated so wildly from information privy to all people -- current events, cyclical patterns, seasonal buying, etc. and is now mostly influenced by bailout and monetary policy, it has created a new realm of insider trading.

Not so much whether you can predict which big company is going to produce the next amazing thing since sliced bread, announce a new cure, or whatever. But if you are privy to backroom discussions involving the next round of bailouts and policy. I wonder who's policing the politicians. Sure, there was the one guy who dumped a bunch of stock when he realized how bad covid-19 was going to be. But what about politicians playing it the other way? Knowing precisely when the dip is, and the impact of the next bailout that they themselves are helping to plan?

You may possibly be giving the politicians too much credit for intelligence.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2020, 04:25 PM
Prepared

Thanked 18,759 Times in 8,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriley View Post
You may possibly be giving the politicians too much credit for intelligence.
Most of them are millionaires, and the POTUS is a billionaire. I'm not saying Trump is a genius -- but they're smarter than they make themselves out to be. And they have good money managers working for them.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,172 Times in 10,535 Posts

Quote:
Most of them are millionaires, and the POTUS is a billionaire. I'm not saying Trump is a genius -- but they're smarter than they make themselves out to be. And they have good money managers working for them.
Money begats money.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 05:04 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,926 Times in 9,461 Posts

Quote:
No, but since the stock market has deviated so wildly from information privy to all people -- current events, cyclical patterns, seasonal buying, etc. and is now mostly influenced by bailout and monetary policy, it has created a new realm of insider trading.

Not so much whether you can predict which big company is going to produce the next amazing thing since sliced bread, announce a new cure, or whatever. But if you are privy to backroom discussions involving the next round of bailouts and policy. I wonder who's policing the politicians. Sure, there was the one guy who dumped a bunch of stock when he realized how bad covid-19 was going to be. But what about politicians playing it the other way? Knowing precisely when the dip is, and the impact of the next bailout that they themselves are helping to plan?
THIS is an excellent point.

And we have an era unlike the past where the ultra powerful can influence markets by just suggesting a event, or a course of action, or inaction. It happens regularly now. So someone with a tip on that info before it's released can really profit.

Big example recently was the several politicians who benefited from the Coronavirus - they knew certain events, claimed the opposite, and bailed on stocks at highs prior to public policies being enacted.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 05:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,402 Times in 753 Posts

Perhaps the big investors understand that all the BS going on is just Democrat lies trying to get rid of their President? They are making quite a commotion, however. It will be an interesting ride. I claim to know nothing.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 73,569 Times in 22,675 Posts

Insider trading is legal.....

If your Congress.

That right there should tell you all you need to know.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:26 AM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 19,202 Times in 4,570 Posts

Our family advisor is a huge Buffet and Trump fan , I had crystalized my portfolio last year for tax purposes and bought back in a slightly higher risk vehicles since my parents estate is in solid conservative investments and income and one of my sons invests in trending stuff that catches their eye and did well with marijuana stocks . I did not sell off before the drop in the market but caught up with my advisor and was surprised I have recovered within 1.5 % of my highest value in February ( since I should follow what is going on more obviously but haven't ) . I have another meeting next week as I have reached the age where I can defer my property taxes now $3,500 yearly at some ridiculous low rate like 1% interest so I plan to defer yearly and invest that money instead . I am interested in any advice I can get now .
Old 06-10-2020, 11:07 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper View Post
Our family advisor is a huge Buffet and Trump fan , I had crystalized my portfolio last year for tax purposes and bought back in a slightly higher risk vehicles since my parents estate is in solid conservative investments and income and one of my sons invests in trending stuff that catches their eye and did well with marijuana stocks . I did not sell off before the drop in the market but caught up with my advisor and was surprised I have recovered within 1.5 % of my highest value in February ( since I should follow what is going on more obviously but haven't ) . I have another meeting next week as I have reached the age where I can defer my property taxes now $3,500 yearly at some ridiculous low rate like 1% interest so I plan to defer yearly and invest that money instead . I am interested in any advice I can get now .
Since you have a family advisor you should ask him. All you will get on this forum is bitcoin, gold and junk silver.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,725 Times in 2,885 Posts

Quote:
Since you have a family advisor you should ask him. All you will get on this forum is bitcoin, gold and junk silver.
not even close, lots or most of us are in the middle. I got completely out many months ago (not at all time highs unfortunately, but close enough), and got back in about 60% a month or so ago. Got the rest back in a few days after oil went negative that day, and that was completely in oil stocks to varying degree (all those investments have been doing AWESOME). It's not too late for oil stocks or any others for that matter...just do some research and ask your advisor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FalconsBravesHawks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 02:30 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconsBravesHawks View Post

not even close, lots or most of us are in the middle. I got completely out many months ago (not at all time highs unfortunately, but close enough), and got back in about 60% a month or so ago. Got the rest back in a few days after oil went negative that day, and that was completely in oil stocks to varying degree (all those investments have been doing AWESOME). It's not too late for oil stocks or any others for that matter...just do some research and

ask your advisor.
Glad for your awesomeness but this is still not the place for the OP to seek investment advice for his $3,500.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,725 Times in 2,885 Posts

Quote:
Glad for your awesomeness but this is still not the place for the OP to seek investment advice for his $3,500.
agreed, and 3500 isn't going to do that much for anyone, BUT you don't always have to be such a Richard with every single financial post you make. Good grief...I bow to you ole financial wizard king!