Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-04-2020, 10:47 PM

Default NYPD radio has been compromised by BLM protestors

Advertise Here

Apparently over this week couple of NYPD radio units were stolen and people were making funny sounds & rapping over them. and the internet stream was being monitoring and posted on twitter.

as of now, protestors are sharing NYPD radio codes and NYPD had to switch to different frequencies.
https://twitter.com/search?q=nypdsca...rc=typed_query
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darthwayne For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 04:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,406 Times in 3,288 Posts

When I was an LEO in the late 90's, all of our radios were equipped with remote kill switches. If a radio went missing or was stolen, the com center could deactivate it and it would become an expensive brick. I find it hard to believe that 20 years later the NYPD does not have that feature on its radios.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jdog67 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 05:03 AM
Trapper

Location: The original Birmingham, Engand, or as we call it the BLACK COUNTRY

same here surprising that,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2020, 06:11 AM
Ultranationalist

Thanked 49,956 Times in 10,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog67 View Post
When I was an LEO in the late 90's, all of our radios were equipped with remote kill switches. If a radio went missing or was stolen, the com center could deactivate it and it would become an expensive brick. I find it hard to believe that 20 years later the NYPD does not have that feature on its radios.
You find it had to believe that there is evidence of incompetence in a government agency? Especially one as large as the NYPD?

Why would you find that surprising?
Old 06-05-2020, 06:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,406 Times in 3,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBryan314 View Post
You find it had to believe that there is evidence of incompetence in a government agency? Especially one as large as the NYPD?

Why would you find that surprising?
People are incompetent. Equipment is not. I'm not sure it is even possible to procure a police communications system without this feature. I suspect it is another instance of poor reporting. It probably happened and the radio(s) disabled, and the news reporting neglected to include the response in the story.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jdog67 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
People are incompetent. Equipment is not. I'm not sure it is even possible to procure a police communications system without this feature. I suspect it is another instance of poor reporting. It probably happened and the radio(s) disabled, and the news reporting neglected to include the response in the story.
Is it possible the 'kill switch' is easily bypassed?
Old 06-05-2020, 05:40 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFall View Post
Is it possible the 'kill switch' is easily bypassed?
With modern systems it is often not a literal switch or hardware device at all, but rather the radio transmits an ID every time it is keyed and based on that ID the system allows the radio to access the network or not. Modern "switches" are simply mapping the offending ID out of the network, so that the network never recognizes the radio as valid and so never responds to it.

Think of it like a cell phone without a SIM card (this is not exactly the case, but similar idea). Without a SIM card your cell phone can be a useless brick, unable to access the network, despite otherwise being fully functional.

But it may take time for the right radio technical people to get the word to kill access for a formerly legit ID.

T!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FirstToken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 04:19 PM
Hiker

Quote:
A guess is that by keepin' the guys with radios in the dark about their lack of usefulness, you let 'em think they're accomplishin' something.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
VHF analog is still widely used. None of the geewiz gimcracks the radio vendors love to sell is present/used/needed.

BIG push by the radio vendors to move the world from VHF analog to 700/800mhz (digital). At an obscene price for radios with reduced range/performance but lots of geewhiz gimcraps. The cops want anything shiny/new (with encryption so they can call donut meetups privately).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstToken View Post
With modern systems it is often not a literal switch or hardware device at all, but rather the radio transmits an ID every time it is keyed and based on that ID the system allows the radio to access the network or not. Modern "switches" are simply mapping the offending ID out of the network, so that the network never recognizes the radio as valid and so never responds to it.
Think of it like a cell phone without a SIM card (this is not exactly the case, but similar idea). Without a SIM card your cell phone can be a useless brick, unable to access the network, despite otherwise being fully functional.
Um,.....No. It sends a signal out that bricks that radio. Can only be brought back to life by THAT system (admin).
Old 06-06-2020, 07:11 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanq View Post
Um,.....No. It sends a signal out that bricks that radio. Can only be brought back to life by THAT system (admin).
The LMR system we use functions as I said, there are two levels in our system, you can lock out the offending radio, or you can "shut it off". The dispatch has the ability to lock out, admin has the ability to shut off. Even shut off is not "bricked", i.e. you can turn it on but it will not receive or transmit anything. The typical rapid response here is to lock out, if the radio is not recovered then it is "shut off", which as I said does not really shut the radio off at all.

T!
The Following User Says Thank You to FirstToken For This Useful Post: