Survivalist Forum banner

Pre-filled saline syringes

6K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Williebo 
#1 ·
What would be a good use for these other than to flush an IV? Do they expire?

At first I thought they could be used for flushing the eyes, but apparently they don't have a buffer (whatever that is) and aren't supposed to be used for that. Then I thought maybe a person could use them to rinse around a wound?

Any ideas you care to share, health care professionals?

#4 ·
I asked a nurse today about using them to flush the eyes and she said they weren't supposed to be used that way, but went on to say that she uses them to rinse her contact lenses. <shrugs> I am not a medical professional so I have no idea. Just seems to me that these might be handy for something.

#7 ·
I'll post back on the size when I get a chance to look. Why? Does that make a difference?

#26 ·
NS is NEVER buffered, it is isotonic and shouldn't sting
Ok got an answer Instead of more questions

The flush and the bags are not "buffered " to the Ph of the eye they are normotonic to the blood. So their slightly more acid than 7.5.
"Isotonic"
I asked a uneducated nurse today about using them to flush the eyes and she said they weren't supposed to be used that way, but went on to say that she uses them to rinse her contact lenses. <shrugs> I am not a medical professional so I have no idea. Just seems to me that these might be handy for something.
What would be a good use for these other than to flush an IV? Do they expire?

At first I thought they could be used for flushing the eyes, but apparently they don't have a buffer (whatever that is) and aren't supposed to be used for that. Then I thought maybe a person could use them to rinse around a wound?

Any ideas you care to share, health care professionals?
Saline is used all the time for irrigating eyes and wounds. Its the preferred solution in the ER.

#13 ·
Thanks everyone. Not wildly handy, it seems, but may be useful after all. :thumb:

#14 ·
First we heard of them.

10cc, a third of an ounce. Hardly enough to flush debris and toxins from a wound or an eye. And speaking of eyes, pointing a hypodermic at an eyeball? In the midst of flailing and swearing and barfing? Too much potential to increase a tragedy.

We'll pass. Donate them to the nearest Sharps container.

#21 ·
The main purpose of the sterile saline syringes is to flush the ports on IVs, such as before, between and after drug injections into the IV port (ie. to make sure all the drug goes into the patient). They are also used to clear IV lines, such as after an IV bag empties and a patient's blood pressure causes the blood to start moving up the IV line towards the bag.

#23 ·
I scanned through the answers but might have missed something so if I'm repeating information please disregard this post. I have a medical port installed in my chest which requires flushing with saline and then heparinized saline left in it once a month. I have a pile of both types around. Yes, they do expire. BUT.... as long as they have not been opened, they should be perfectly safe for wound care for several years after they expire. If they turn cloudy, don't use for anything medical. The expiration date should be on the white label. If not, ask a pharmacist how to read your specific brand. Other information such as buffering and the like can also be found on the label. It might appear in abbreviations or shorthand but again, any nurse or pharmacist should be able to help you read that information.

As another said, be sure they are not heparinized. That means it has a solution of heparin (a blood thinner) mixed in the saline. Typically in the US heparinized saline is labeled with a yellow label and straight saline with a white label to help prevent accidental switches in high pressure situations. There are other colors to indicate other drugs.

Yes, you can safely use them as a eye flush but count on it stinging a bit. Of course if you need an eye wash odds are good that eye is already stinging or otherwise hurting and the added sting of the saline would be insignificant.

#24 ·
My wife just had knee replacement surgery, I've got larger syringes of saline, heparin (stops clots) and antibiotics (sephazolin? ) the antibiotics need refrigerated but I got enough to treat a horse or three. As long as we don't loose power, I'm set.

She had a pic line in so I was injecting her a couple times a day for 8 weeks. Another surgery Thursday and we will start some more. Damn staph infection. At least she will have all new hardware.

#29 ·
My wife just had knee replacement surgery, I've got larger syringes of saline, heparin (stops clots) and antibiotics (sephazolin? ) the antibiotics need refrigerated but I got enough to treat a horse or three. As long as we don't loose power, I'm set.

She had a pic line in so I was injecting her a couple times a day for 8 weeks. Another surgery Thursday and we will start some more. Damn staph infection. At least she will have all new hardware.
Heparin is a blood thinner. Your wife was given that to prevent blood clots from forming and traveling to her lungs and possible to her heart. Yes staph infection is a bitch, my late wife had it and I had to administer antibiotics in a pic line for quite a while.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.