Prime alpha timber wolf vs game APBT? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why do you prefer the handgun you do? PalmettoTree Pistol and Revolver Forum 165 08-18-2019 04:35 PM
Just another ammo consolidation thread sabotage39k Firearms General Discussion 116 07-08-2018 12:03 PM
How did you come to pick your survival cartridge? leomort Firearms General Discussion 108 10-23-2017 09:20 PM

View Poll Results: Who would win?
Timber / Tundra wolf 28 100.00%
APBT 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2019, 09:46 PM
ForgedInTheFlame's Avatar
ForgedInTheFlame ForgedInTheFlame is online now
Fix Bayonets!
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 4,652
Thanks: 17,150
Thanked 7,022 Times in 3,102 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
I'd like to tentatively correct my earlier post. According to UKC standards, a male American Pit Bull Terrier would only reach 60 lbs. on the upper end.



I always like correcting people when they tell of "vicious 100+lb. Pit Bulls", but I was under the impression that the American version was somewhat bigger, also. Seems that the trend may be to breed bigger, or maybe crossing for size.
Some people try to breed for heavier dogs but they are slow, all looks no performance. I can't say if they bite harder, but I doubt they could take an adult wolf.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2019, 11:27 AM
Tactical Lever Tactical Lever is offline
Wearing fur underwears...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NW of most; in God's country
Posts: 2,281
Thanks: 4,114
Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,097 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
Some people try to breed for heavier dogs but they are slow, all looks no performance. I can't say if they bite harder, but I doubt they could take an adult wolf.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
So are you looking to get a PB?
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2019, 12:04 PM
ForgedInTheFlame's Avatar
ForgedInTheFlame ForgedInTheFlame is online now
Fix Bayonets!
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 4,652
Thanks: 17,150
Thanked 7,022 Times in 3,102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
So are you looking to get a PB?
Haha not really I can't get a pet at the moment, just landed a new job and don't have a permanent place to live yet, it's been a rough year but getting back in my feet, glad it's only me and no pet had to suffer the last few months with me.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 09:46 AM
Tactical Lever Tactical Lever is offline
Wearing fur underwears...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NW of most; in God's country
Posts: 2,281
Thanks: 4,114
Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,097 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
Haha not really I can't get a pet at the moment, just landed a new job and don't have a permanent place to live yet, it's been a rough year but getting back in my feet, glad it's only me and no pet had to suffer the last few months with me.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Glad things are looking up, and I hope it goes well for you.

FWIW, a lot of the shelter dogs would benefit from another chance. A lot of square headed dogs there, that ended up there from no fault of their own, but don't leave very fast, as a lot of people buy into how scary they hear that they are.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 10:21 AM
Tactical Lever Tactical Lever is offline
Wearing fur underwears...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NW of most; in God's country
Posts: 2,281
Thanks: 4,114
Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,097 Posts
Default

My big vicious Staff. All muscle, and cuddles. Pictures and pictures of her being a professional lap dog. Highly alert, and curious about everything. She's checking out the backyard at the BIL's place.

Don't get one of these if you value your personal space. She'll cry all night if she doesn't get to sleep with our boy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180513_111340_1563808575453.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	289672  
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 10:35 AM
ForgedInTheFlame's Avatar
ForgedInTheFlame ForgedInTheFlame is online now
Fix Bayonets!
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 4,652
Thanks: 17,150
Thanked 7,022 Times in 3,102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Glad things are looking up, and I hope it goes well for you.



FWIW, a lot of the shelter dogs would benefit from another chance. A lot of square headed dogs there, that ended up there from no fault of their own, but don't leave very fast, as a lot of people buy into how scary they hear that they are.
Yea I always consider adoption first, but my priority is to get a guard dog or two once I find my own place again. I'll definitely adopt a cat or two as well for pest control.

Read enough stories in the creepy outdoors thread last night to be sure I never want to be anywhere without at least a dog AND firearm.



Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 05:05 PM
NW GUY's Avatar
NW GUY NW GUY is offline
Born 120 years too late.
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,078
Thanks: 57
Thanked 2,991 Times in 777 Posts
Default

I HAVE had Rottweilers for going on 50 years.
They have one of the hardest bites in the canine world and would make a Pit bite pressure look like a sponge clamping down.

I have a 145lb male in the house right now.
As big and tough as Rotts are, I doubt they could win over a full size wolf.
BUT
the wolf would know he was in a fight.
BUT
He would still lose.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 07:47 PM
billwilla's Avatar
billwilla billwilla is offline
MortarMaggot
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Frozen Tundra
Posts: 2,018
Thanks: 2,647
Thanked 2,983 Times in 1,148 Posts
Default

Not VS. a wolf, but still pretty interesting.

Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 09:37 PM
IamZeke's Avatar
IamZeke IamZeke is offline
Beer Truck Door Gunner
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 26,019
Thanks: 26,666
Thanked 53,680 Times in 18,767 Posts
Default

Hoping for a 1 on 1 win between a dog and a wolf is ignoring nature.

A wolf isn't going to go it alone if he doesn't have to. A coyote or hyena won't either. Lone wolf is a lousy term. A wolf doesn't want to fight alone unless he has to. So why expect your dog to?

If the plan for your dog is to be there for predator animal protection then already be thinking about the dog's wingman needs.

Two dogs and an armed owner is a completely different scenario. The dogs will fight, harass, spell each other, and hope the alpha owner moves in for the kill shot.

For a wolf fight bring 2 good dogs and a killing tool.
__________________
Need more info? Try this:

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 08:05 AM
Hick Industries's Avatar
Hick Industries Hick Industries is online now
Live Secret, Live Happy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eastern Oklahoma
Posts: 13,913
Thanks: 17,287
Thanked 33,528 Times in 9,440 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Hoping for a 1 on 1 win between a dog and a wolf is ignoring nature.

A wolf isn't going to go it alone if he doesn't have to. A coyote or hyena won't either. Lone wolf is a lousy term. A wolf doesn't want to fight alone unless he has to. So why expect your dog to?

If the plan for your dog is to be there for predator animal protection then already be thinking about the dog's wingman needs.

Two dogs and an armed owner is a completely different scenario. The dogs will fight, harass, spell each other, and hope the alpha owner moves in for the kill shot.

For a wolf fight bring 2 good dogs and a killing tool.
I have been raising livestock here in eastern oklahoma. We have a number of predators, so I have an entire pack of guardian dogs. Three large (100 lb) pry, a mastiff cross, and a Ridgeback/Calahola.

We had a black bear, and a young black panther that would show up at dawn. My big dogs stay out all night now and nothing trys to sneek around anymore.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 07:37 PM
Idaho Survivalist Idaho Survivalist is online now
Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,174
Thanks: 216
Thanked 1,358 Times in 625 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I own a 140lb male Anatolian Guardian dog with the size, wt, speed, and jaw strength of a timber wolf.
He hates pit bulls.
A confrontation between them last about 10 sec.

He waits till the pit bull gets close, then rushes it and uses his weight to knock the pit off its feet.
Then he grabs the pits entire head in his jaws.
Unless the pit surrenders, he starts chewing, till he pits skull gives way.

The difference in body wt, height, and jaw spread is overwhelming.

My advise if you are looking for a dog to protect against wolves, is to get a dog breed for the job. Anatolian, Pyrenees, or Mastiff.

A few years ago a neighbor of mine had two Anatolians, but this is real animal country. I didn't like to walk by this guy's place to get my mail. One day he told me something had killed one of his dogs and then eventually another. He lives in the bottom of a canyon and I'm at the top. I have seen wolf tracks in the snow, black bear sign up the canyon from him and I know there are mountain lions. Our dog stays inside and he can crunch up deer bones like candy (part pit bull, but he's no match for what's out there..
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Idaho Survivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 08:20 PM
ForgedInTheFlame's Avatar
ForgedInTheFlame ForgedInTheFlame is online now
Fix Bayonets!
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 4,652
Thanks: 17,150
Thanked 7,022 Times in 3,102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Survivalist View Post
A few years ago a neighbor of mine had two Anatolians, but this is real animal country. I didn't like to walk by this guy's place to get my mail. One day he told me something had killed one of his dogs and then eventually another. He lives in the bottom of a canyon and I'm at the top. I have seen wolf tracks in the snow, black bear sign up the canyon from him and I know there are mountain lions. Our dog stays inside and he can crunch up deer bones like candy (part pit bull, but he's no match for what's out there..
Did he ever find out what killed his dogs?

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
apbt, grey wolf, pit bull, staffordshire terrier, timber wolf, tundra wolf, wolf, wolf attack, working dog



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net