Fish Recipes - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 06-10-2020, 11:20 PM

Advertise Here

I bake trout wrapped in foil on the barbie.
Pat of butter, salt& pepper
In the cavity place a dill pickle sandwich slice.
Sounds odd, I got tired of not tasting any dill from the sprinkled weed. Tasty now.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copymutt For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 12:24 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,694 Times in 13,975 Posts

I had a roommate once who came up with some crazy (but tasty) concoctions, especially when it came to breading fish or chicken to fry.
Crushed of course: dill pickle chips, bbq chips, cheese its and PB Capt Crunch is the best coating I have ever had on a fried shrimp.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 01:37 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,313 Times in 793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb Sturat View Post
Anyone tried Blackened Bream or Crappie? Great on a taco with salsa.
My apologies for walking past the (maybe unintended) genius of this post.

There's a lot of great tasting fish out there ignored by sportsmen because we were raised to appreciate certain species on the hook.

Please look wider at the species in your region that can be exploited for good taste, not just the age old sportsman favorites.

The fact is that the 1st World demand and the 3rd World eagerness to supply for a payday is running our oceans dry. Factory ships and wasted by-catch are scraping the bottom of the ocean barrel.......literally.

I'm no tree hugger, but we really are making a mess of our oceans right now.

The solution does start and end at the choices at the dinner table. Capitalism is about supply and demand. Forget the "save the whales" noise. Eat a crappie or bream out of the bay instead. It will taste great and might save a trophy fish for the next generation.

This next post is a perfect illustration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSierraCharlie View Post
Redfish On The Halfshell.
Looks like a tasty recipe that substituting Drum instead will not change the taste one bit, but will give an endangered species a bit of breathing room. About 20 years ago all the great Louisiana chefs made a plea to switch to drum over redfish. The plea has taken root and redfish are recovering nicely. With some care and a long term plan the species may be around for the long haul. Drum have been taking it in the teeth but they had the numbers. Soon we can switch to controlled catches for both fish and enjoy them indefinitely.

Let's be responsible sportsmen, even if that only means dinner table choices.

Don't forget to buy your annual fishing license every year in your state, even if you might not get out this year or only fish for species that don't need a license. While not perfect over all 50 states, by and large the various state fish and game agencies are doing a pretty darn good job.

Supporting well defined user taxes is very Libertarian of you.
I agree, and just want to point out that I only eat fish that I or someone I know caught. I'm not opposed to commercial fishing in a sustainable manner, I'm just a fish snob when it comes to myself.

I was sure other drum species would work just as well (sheepshead may too), I've only ever had it with redfish.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlphaSierraCharlie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 07:29 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 62,820 Times in 21,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSierraCharlie View Post
I was sure other drum species would work just as well (sheepshead may too), I've only ever had it with redfish.
I have eaten both black drum (commercially sustainable for now) and redfish (commercially unsustainable for now) many times.

There is no way to taste the difference in a blind taste test in same size fish. Size and their location diet influences the taste more than the pigmentation. The two species interbreed as well and have hybrid spawn that also taste the same.

In any case, a recipe for redfish is almost useless to a nonfisherman or inlander. There is a ban on commercial their commercial fishing. Only black drum can be caught for resale. So inlanders would always be forced to use drum for the recipe.

You could change the recipe name to drumfish, because they are both drumfish ("redfish" is not official taxonomy) and recipe users could use either or one of the hybrids.

Sheepshead are sea bream and not related. Whereas the drums are relatives of the croakers, because of their method of communication.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 03:55 AM
SoJer

Thanked 5,920 Times in 1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
I had a roommate once who came up with some crazy (but tasty) concoctions, especially when it came to breading fish or chicken to fry...
Corn Flakes for Fried Chicken... Tried it Once as a coating for some Swai, and well.. Meh.. Will have to keep experimenting..

jd
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoJ_51 For This Useful Post: