Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More uncommon items in your backpack. maxwell2287 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 43 03-31-2019 12:00 PM
Winter only Items in your pack? joshiedoom Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 37 02-25-2019 10:16 PM
If you could only have 3 items in your Wilderness Survival pack, what would it be? Chris22 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 263 02-25-2019 09:18 PM
Recap of Uncommon Items In Your Bug Out Bag (BOB) UtahJackson Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 68 02-22-2019 03:55 AM
Nitrogen Pack Rice and other items caleb.rumeida Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 02-21-2019 09:43 PM
Top 3 valuable pack items under 100 grams? twyggy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 75 10-15-2017 08:56 PM
WTT items wax/pack/club/optics Tundrascout Looking for - want to buy 2 03-22-2015 09:31 PM
Uncommon items at your BOL Cool Hand Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 01-14-2014 01:43 AM
How many people pack their little items in... Gunner65 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 30 10-11-2010 09:33 PM
Split your back pack items. MT Patriot Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 08-21-2009 08:56 AM

Old 09-07-2009, 12:56 AM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potantsuem View Post
Wow. Your the 3rd person I know who carries Uno cards.
Actually, something to keep yourself entertained is a good idea. I carry Tarot cards, but the idea's the same.

Also, since underwear seems to be a theme here, a couple changes of underwear can not only make you feel like a new person, but the dirty ones can be used to throw off any dogs that might conceivably be on your trail.

Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2009, 08:26 PM
(-.(-.-).-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solanum View Post
oh yea i also have a single cig in my pack just incase i get time for one last one before the end
Great Idea
Old 09-08-2009, 03:29 AM

Default Summary

For those of you joining late, I read the whole thread and thought I should summarize the big things here to save you time

This isn't a full list but its what I can remember
  • Condoms (water, protection etc)
  • Can opener
  • nail clipers
  • safety pin
  • mouse trap
  • fish gear
  • fish hooks
  • Zip Ties
  • Diamond stone / Knife sharpener
  • pencil sharpener
  • chap stick
  • mole skin
  • Socks
  • Foot powder
  • Quick Clot
  • Bandanna
  • paracord
  • guitar string
  • radio (communication/AM/FM)
  • signal mirror
  • Dental Floss
  • Cards
  • Dice
  • Water filter / purification tabs
  • Glow stick
  • small saw / collapsible saw
  • Lint
  • Grease pencil
  • MP3 player
  • Solar panels
  • fishing line
  • duct tape
  • lingerie (don't ask)
  • Straight razor
  • candle
  • tampons
  • watch
  • steel wool
  • signal mirror
  • mirror
  • magnifying glass
  • Binoculars
  • mosquito net / repellent
  • super glue / crazy glue
  • suture supplies
  • leather man / multi tool
  • knifes
  • guns
  • razor blade
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ryan112ryan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2009, 03:31 AM

Oh and my suggestions is Salt.

Seasoning, preserving, iodine, helps with electrolytes, and once was used at currency and could be with TEOTWAWKI

I second can opener, quickclot, sterno, multi tool, fishhooks, condoms, needle and thread, signal mirror, flint and steel
Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadHorrorFan View Post
I don't know how many of you do this...I rarely if ever hear it mentioned...but I carry toilet paper. It weighs nothing and is really appreciated if you need it. I just unwind it from the cardboard roll and fold it flat into a ziploc bag.
I use a similar technique but simply work the cardboard out without unrolling.

I am also going to look into a product for water storage called Water Preserver it looks promising. According to the website, "Water Preserver™ was tested for 10 years in a scientific program … to ensure its effectiveness for 5-year water storage. Water Preserver™ is registered and licensed by both and federal state EPA's as effective for the long-term storing of water, in addition to killing bacteria, viruses, mold, and fungus." www.waterpreserver.com/index.htm
Old 09-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Prepared

well I for one always have a knife on me so I dont worry about putting a small one, but I still keep a survival knife in the BOB, but everyone prolly has one in there so thats nothing special, a few things I do carry with me in there that I havent read in here is a roll of deer skin, and a roll of hemp, the deer skin is darned usefull and strong as all get out and hemp is almost as usefull (if nothing else to have somthing to randomly braid and unbraid but I prefer to use it to hang things.

also do you forget that in an emergency situation or if you family is flipin rich or some stuff like that, then there is always 18002655328

(I think thats what it is for 1800 collect)

Last edited by bibn8rjr; 09-10-2009 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: to prevent a double post, where I am from they flip if you DP
Old 09-11-2009, 12:49 PM

I carry about a dozen or so inch-long bits of bright colored ribbon. Good for markers that you can re use. Also extremely light weight, will not compromise any tight pack and practical if you like to go off of the beaten path and explore.
The Following User Says Thank You to wolfpack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2009, 02:06 PM

I'm new to this "sport" as some might call it, but I have one thing that some may find weird. I carry a picture of me and my girlfriend, you never know when your gonna' need something pretty to look at.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ewkamp For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2009, 08:20 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 7,048 Times in 2,866 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Most of the things listed are what I would consider "standard" for a BOB. One "oddball" thing that I carry in my bag is cheesecloth. It can be folded over and used to strain larger particulates out of a water source to save wear and tear on your water filtration system/device; add some sort of string (or an inner strand of a length of paracord) and can also be used to "bag" any meat you've managed to obtain and keep insects off of it while you're smoking or drying any excess. It can also be used as an impromptu fishnet or carrier for wild edibles that you come across while you're travelling.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2009, 08:22 AM

I carry a travel sized chess set. I figure everyone else will bring the more common games.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Survivor

i carry i coin my grandfather, who passed away, had while he was sheriff for a small town. Its a ounce of silver and it reads metropoltion police.

I carry alot of tinfoul. its light and you can fold it up really small, use it to make alot of things.

A few m-100 fire crackers are in my signal kit just to get attention i needed or perhaps to scare of a predator, or just for fun ;p
Old 09-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Prepared

man I have a few things that I want to put in there, such as some big firecrackers, you know the ones I am talkin about, the ones that are illegal here in florida, hehehe, also I want some of those smoke bombs. it could be used in a verry sticky situation to get out with some cover.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:09 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibn8rjr View Post
man I have a few things that I want to put in there, such as some big firecrackers, you know the ones I am talkin about, the ones that are illegal here in florida, hehehe, also I want some of those smoke bombs. it could be used in a verry sticky situation to get out with some cover.
Oh, you mean M-80s? (Basically M-80s are the equivalen of a quarter stick of dynamite ) We used to use them to blow up anthills in the pasture.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 PM
I have control issues

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
also can b used as sutures in emergency
I can verify this use. I have used dental floss and a small upholstery needle to stitch up a rather large 3-corner tear in a dog's hide on a holiday weekend when there were no vets available. (tossed a couple doggie tranqs down the dogs throat, got him laid out on the bathroom floor, packed the wound with nitrofurazone ointment after cleaning it out, then did the stitching.) When I was able to get the dog to the vet the following Tuesday, he looked at it and said he couldn't have done any better!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Prepared

ehehe that sounds like a funny story, also how much are M-80's?
Old 09-23-2009, 01:38 PM

Odd items in my pack:
Feminine pads: great for compress or dressing an open wound (already sterile, won't stick to wound, wont bleed through. also useful for soaking up hard to reach water.

Lanolin: waxy lube paste good for abrasions, chapped lips, water proofing, rust proofing leather protector etc.

Leather Awl w/spare needles and waxed thread
spare consumables like hacksaw blades, bowsaw blades, pack buckles, straps etc.

Multivitamine, and vit. C tablets: your diet may not be very balanced for quite some time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrebuilder View Post
If a person forgets their insect repellent, is there something you can gather in the woods to use as a repellent??????
marigolds. Make tea nad spray it on or just rub the leaves on you. They don't kill mosquitos, they will drive them away. Mosquitoes can't stand the smell. I have some planted around my porches.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joni For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2009, 02:13 PM
A country boy can survive

Small diamond stone for keeping blades sharp. I really like that broadhead idea! Beats the heck out of trying to knap stone. I have some old ones from last deer season I'm going to put in my pack. This is a great thread. So many things we just wouldnt think of on our own. I hope it gets more responses. This may be a common one but I keep a spool of dental floss. Besides keeping your teeth healthy it can be used for fishing line, suture material, trip wire, or tying any number of things.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:19 PM

I had a buddy tell me they were issued tampons in Iraq. Stick the applicator tube in a bullet wound and depress the plunger. It's the perfect size and it stoppes the bleeding. He said he saw several guys comming back to camp with strings hanging out of their wounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to swampfox210 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2009, 02:52 PM

spare ammo