Wahoo killers Mora style without the Scandi grind - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New style Mora knives Nutty Old Geezer Knives, Swords & Axes 20 03-19-2015 03:49 PM
Scandi all night campfire Nutty Old Geezer Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 2 11-03-2013 08:51 PM
Bowie scandi grind angle input Bush Monkey knives Knives, Swords & Axes 28 12-26-2011 08:50 PM
Next question : Full Flat Grind, or Sabre grind ? ( on a Spyderco Delica4) MIL-DOT Knives, Swords & Axes 1 11-22-2011 09:48 PM
Putting a scandi grind on my Kabar US Army Fighting Knife dustintml Knives, Swords & Axes 34 05-17-2011 09:54 PM
scandi finished. fish Knives, Swords & Axes 15 12-18-2008 01:27 AM
Alphabeat-Scandi pop-retro 80's Yorkshire Boy Jokes, Humor & Music 3 06-03-2008 10:16 AM
Scandi Grind AAPEXX Knives, Swords & Axes 9 03-27-2008 03:37 PM

Old 08-09-2015, 06:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,528 Times in 6,904 Posts
Default Wahoo killers Mora style without the Scandi grind

Advertise Here

An old thread came up a few days ago about these Mora style wahoo killer knives. I have several Moras and these Wahoo Killers lookvery similar to a Mora. These are stainless and not carbon, supposedly AUS-6. The thread was talking about 3 of them for $5. Got me interested in buying a bunch as gifts and just to have some for toss arounds for the house. So BudK has them for $1.99 and a two pack with a longer blade style (more like a fillet knife) for $5.99. $39 order you get free shipping (now it is flat rate shipping of $4.99 no min). So I got 15 of them (two are the longer style) and another little toy to make up the difference. Could have bought up to 20 knives for $39.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...t=wahoo+killer

These are the ones I purchased.
http://www.budk.com/Wahoo-Killer-Knife-1038
http://www.budk.com/Black-Legion-Wah...nife-Set-31604

This is an interesting review from Amazon
Amazon.com : Wahoo Killer Fillet Knife : Fishing... cover
Amazon.com : Wahoo Killer Fillet Knife : Fishing..."The Good:
Looks like a Mora Knife, and grips like one. Blade is AUS-6 Stainless Steel which is a bit better than 440A.
The Sheath looks like a Mora with a water drain hole on the bottom.
There is also an OD Green model called "Delta Defender", same knife differn't color.
Single knife, it cheaper by a few dollars. There are also 3 packs around, if you can find them.
There are a few posts on some web sites, that guys claim that this knife handles well in the woods and other rough areas.

What to look for before you buy:
No Scandi grind, the grind on this knife is an "Asymmetrical grind". It is interesting. One side you have a "Hollow Compound bevel". On the other side you have just a regular "Compound Bevel". Scandi grind is easier to sharpen, as you sharpen it almost flat, and is better for working with wood. That's why bushcrafters \ survivalist like it so much. There is nothing wrong with the "Asymmetrical grind" that is on the Wahoo Killer knife. You "can" re-profile the blade. I have done it, with only a flat metal file and a medium and fine grit sharpening stone. However, it still does not "look right" because of the hollow grind side, and also when you get down a layer of metal, you see the "vertical" grain of the metal.. but again.. you can do it. It may be a good lesson for some of the younger guys out there just to try it, "if" you don't mind the possibly of making a mistake and ruining the blade 100%. Just beware of that."
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2015, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the review, Looks like a decent beater if you can get if shipped for 2 bucks.

so you were able to reprofile and sharpen the sucker? great for you.

From my experience, and from the half a dozen of chicom knives that are lying around in my kitchen or toolbox, they are mostly impossible to sharpen or at least with my below average sharpening skills.

There are few exception:

-one particular knife from DT is easy to sharpen, holds the edge, and the rubber handle is thick and feels great. Unfortunately the comfortable handle is really loose after a year or two.
(Note that this is not the knife featured by "the Shadow" that handle will last for a long time)
-the HoBo tool with fork and knife from WM. It is a piece of junk. falling apart since the first day. I couldnt believe when I cut my thumb after I flatened the grind with a file and sharpened it with a stone I found on the trail. Now the knife is super sharp, but I might have to redo the pins that are holding the folder together.

So the value I got from Chicom knives sofar is close to zero.

But will be looking for that wahoo knife to even out the score.
The Following User Says Thank You to go For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2015, 12:03 PM
Target Shooter

I have many of these and love them, have one in every pack and give them
away as gifts. They are not hard to sharpen.
The Following User Says Thank You to happie2shoot For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2015, 06:59 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by go View Post
Thanks for the review, Looks like a decent beater if you can get if shipped for 2 bucks.

From my experience, and from the half a dozen of chicom knives that are lying around in my kitchen or toolbox, they are mostly impossible to sharpen or at least with my below average sharpening skills.

There are few exception:

-one particular knife from DT is easy to sharpen, holds the edge, and the rubber handle is thick and feels great. Unfortunately the comfortable handle is really loose after a year or two.
(Note that this is not the knife featured by "the Shadow" that handle will last for a long time)
-the HoBo tool with fork and knife from WM. It is a piece of junk. falling apart since the first day. I couldnt believe when I cut my thumb after I flatened the grind with a file and sharpened it with a stone I found on the trail. Now the knife is super sharp, but I might have to redo the pins that are holding the folder together.

The review is not mine, it is a review from the link I provided to the Amazon reviews. I haven't received mine yet. And you can't get one shipped for $2. I bought enough to qualify for the free shipping thus making them $2 each.
The Following User Says Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2015, 07:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 6,883 Times in 1,044 Posts

I have a pile of these I use to barter/give to others. They are a fantastic knife to put in a cache, truck, toolbox, and a pack. And for the price it does not break the bank to have them everywhere.

I have yet to have one break on me and I have been using about 4 of them off and on over a year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2015, 07:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,620 Times in 8,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by go View Post

There are few exception:

Get a kleva sharp or one of those aggressive V style sharpeners and a steel. Works well on hard stainless. A bit wasteful on the amount of metal you shear off doing it. But cheap knife who cares.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:38 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,821 Times in 2,286 Posts

I use them til they won't cut cardboard anymore and then clamp them in the Lansky. Use a coarse stone and simply put a flat Scandi grind on them. It won't go back too far the first time since it's a semi concave grind to begin with so you won't have the full flat to hand stone it later like a Mora, but once you do the edge that way, it takes literally a minute in the Lansky to touch one up back to sharp. I do the same to my Moras. Use them as new til they go dull and instead of hand stoning them for ten mins, I just Lansky them on the lowest angle. It's just a hair off the original Mora flat grind so it's not hard. Once you get the Lansky angle honed in, it takes less than a minute to touch up the edge each time.

On the Scandinavian grind edge and the Lansky. The lowest angle is just a hair off the Mora grind....so I took a round needle file and cut just the tiniest 1/16" cut right in the middle of the lower edge Lansky angle guide lowest angle to fit the Lansky rod. Works absolutely perfect on the red handled wood Moras. Problem is, none of the other Moras I have has the same angle. So I took to Lansky stoning each to fit the Lansky, not the Lansky to fit the blades. The Lansky works perfectly on all of them now and you can't tell by eye that the angle is a fraction of a degree lower. To dress the edges between stoning, I use these little red keychain crock stick sharpeners that run $2 each or so. I've actually worn out those crock sticks after time but they don't wear a blade down.

I just re-read this post and found it a bit confusing. If anyone else does as well, I apologize lol

rich
The Following User Says Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2015, 07:58 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 4,821 Times in 2,286 Posts

Another small upside to these knives Panoz and the rest of us were talking about is that they're identical, size wise etc, to the specific Moras. Their sheaths fit the Moras exactly and the Moras fit these clones' sheaths exactly. I've always been hesitant to cut and drill on my Mora sheaths over the years just on the off chance I might ruin one. Cheap plastic sheaths, I know. Not much of a loss. But anyway, these, when I bought them, I figured I didn't have to worry. I have four or five I use in my shop, another couple I use for veggie cutting in the kitchen etc so there'e lots of extra sheaths here abouts. I got to cut and drill and glue and mod to my heart's content. I've got a bag of them. Studs, belt sheaths, neck sheaths, pouches, survival kits. The Mora sheaths, I still have a kitchen drawer full of them. Probably a dozen or more. But these, the Moras fit perfectly. If you want to mod some sheaths for your Moras, these are a really good buy!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2015, 09:30 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randkl View Post
Another small upside to these knives Panoz and the rest of us were talking about is that they're identical, size wise etc, to the specific Moras. Their sheaths fit the Moras exactly and the Moras fit these clones' sheaths exactly. I've always been hesitant to cut and drill on my Mora sheaths over the years just on the off chance I might ruin one. Cheap plastic sheaths, I know. Not much of a loss. But anyway, these, when I bought them, I figured I didn't have to worry. I have four or five I use in my shop, another couple I use for veggie cutting in the kitchen etc so there'e lots of extra sheaths here abouts. I got to cut and drill and glue and mod to my heart's content. I've got a bag of them. Studs, belt sheaths, neck sheaths, pouches, survival kits. The Mora sheaths, I still have a kitchen drawer full of them. Probably a dozen or more. But these, the Moras fit perfectly. If you want to mod some sheaths for your Moras, these are a really good buy!
I didn't even condsider that, I am planning on using one of the two knife sets in the kitchen as well, so I'll have a coupel of sheats to play with
The Following User Says Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Old Gezzer

Thanked 3,981 Times in 1,575 Posts

From the photos on the BudK site the knives look like they are fillet knives to me. Would my assessment be accurate?
Old 08-14-2015, 02:25 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfynn View Post
From the photos on the BudK site the knives look like they are fillet knives to me. Would my assessment be accurate?
The long one is more a fillet knife style, the shorter one is virtually identical to a Mora with exception of the scandi ground blade.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2015, 01:27 PM
Target Shooter

i bought six wahoo knives the last time they were on that sale. handy knives for the money
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shakeylee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2015, 09:10 AM

When was the last 3/$5 deal?
Was it an email member deal?
I like a deal but a 'steal' is even better...
Old 08-25-2015, 01:37 PM

HU: I'm on the Kennesaw Cutlery email list/signed up for an account. They recently had a 25% off order deal but you have to pay shipping. The everyday $39/get FS is a better deal so somewhat miffed, I left my order in the cart unpurchased. Within days, I received an email with a FS offer if I bought one knife. Naturally, I bought nine WK's and a two-knife set(fillet knife and WK) and still received FS.
Do yourself a favor and save a few bucks: Sign up for their email, set up an account, shop for these knives while signed in to your account BUT DON'T BUY, just leave them in the cart. You'll probably get sent the same email that I did...
YMMV
The Following User Says Thank You to quince47 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quince47 View Post
HU: BUT DON'T BUY, just leave them in the cart. You'll probably get sent the same email that I did...
YMMV

I should have read your post before, Now they are out of stock. And they have free shipping today. hopefully they get more, (website says-expected on 9/11)
The Following User Says Thank You to go For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2015, 08:13 PM

Try to put them in your cart anyway: I did when I received my code and they magically appeared in my cart. They'll be here on the 1st.
YMMV.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:25 PM
Survivor

FYI, yeah they are running free shipping now, so I just added these.

For $13 and change I just bought two stainless steel machetes 24" OAL (AUS-6 steel) and two more sets of those Black Legion (Delta Defender) Mora Style knives (buy one get one free BOGO) this time in OD green. Four knives and two machetes for under $14 SHIPPED!

http://www.budk.com/Buschmesser-Germ...5-5-inch-21646

http://www.budk.com/Black-Legion-Del...nife-Set-31536

By the way, I received my box-o-knives and they came pretty darn sharp, I tossed them in about every drawer and glove/tool box I have. Can't beat them for $2 a piece, they seem just as well built as a Mora. Can't be more happy with the purchase!
Old 09-23-2015, 09:44 AM

Default KCSHIP309 No Minimum FS!!!!

At Kennesaw.
Check out the 'Black Legion' version with olive drab accents for a less flashy profile.
Looks to me to be the same knife...

http://knives.kennesawcutlery.com/se...nife-Set-31536
Old 09-23-2015, 09:44 PM
Survivor

Free shipping NOW no minimum order. Some good ones to choose from, all pretty much the same knife.

Buy one get one free at $5.99
http://www.budk.com/Ridge-Runner-Apo...-2-for-1-32414

Wahoo $1.99 each
http://www.budk.com/Wahoo-Killer-Knife-1038

Wahoo two piece set with the longer filet style $6.99
http://www.budk.com/Black-Legion-Wah...nife-Set-31604

Black Legion Delta Defender - Same as above but olive drab handle $6.99
http://www.budk.com/Black-Legion-Del...nife-Set-31536

Mora Companion $14.99
http://www.budk.com/Mora-Of-Sweden-C...st-Green-28401
Old 09-27-2015, 05:36 AM